Open All Hours

BBC (ended 1985)

Open All Hours Fan Reviews (8)

• Highly underrated by American audiences

I wish that this show had done better on the American/Britcom market, it was sweet and down right hilarious.

The characters were superbly portrayed, the storylines were very good, and it was an all around good outing from the BBC that I hope will pop up again soon on PBS.
  • Open All Hours needs fine tuning because it gets a bit boaring. Fawlty Towers is a bit better.

I think Open All Hours needs fine tuning because it gets a bit boaring. Fawlty Towers I think is better. Fawlity Towers is more funnier and it makes you laugh more as for Open All Hours its good but as I have aready put down it gets a bit boaring. I'd say the funniest I the seris 3 episodes like the one with the bicycle with the funny hutor. So for this TV programme I have givin it a 6 out of 10 rating. Also I think it would be better if there were some more funnier bits in it.
  • Funniest show I've seen in years.

The chemistry between awkwright and granville is impeccable,nurse Gladys is a great foil to awkwrights' advances. I enjoy Awkwrights' mostly successful attempts at fleecing his customers out of their extra change and most of the time they don't even know it's been done to them.And that cash register, boy , whoever came up with that it was a masterpiece. I laugh every time that old thing is put through it's paces. Granvilles attempts at influencing the opposite sex is a blast! I actually feel sorry for him, evry time he tries to build himself up, there is awkwright to bring him back to earth.I was very sad to learn that Ronnie Barker had passed in '05. British comedy and the world lost a treasure.I hope the surviving cast members keep up his legacy and continue their wonderful comedies. Michael Parrish Caddo Mills, Texas U.S.A
  • G,gggranville!!!

This is one of the best British sitcoms of all time and comes close to the likes of Porridge and Fawlty Towers. It's basically about a shopkeeper, Arkwright, who is a tight fisted old miser and is constantly trying to seek great attention from nurse Gladys Emanuel, his neighbour and so-called fiancé. Arkright runs a grocers shop on a quiet little street, set in early 1970's Doncaster.

Each episode is mainly about the day-to-day running of the shop and Arkwrights' constant banter and disagreements with Granville, his nephew, employee and whipping boy. Granville is still a boy at heart, thanks to his uncle, who won't let him grow up. He is paid a pittance and is kept firmly at bay by his uncle from loose woman and any other form of socializing.

The funniest moments in the show are the lengths Mr Arkwright will go to sell his products. He will say just about anything to get his customers to spend their hard earned dosh in his shop. But the dialogue between all characters is superb and it's clearly a well written series.

As the viewer, you really get used to the regular customers in the shop, and it's hilarious to see them be minipulated into buying items they didn't come in for.
  • I like Open All Hours. I have been watching it since it first started in 1976. I liked Arkwright by Ronnie Barker because he was one of my favorite characters in the show as he always used to stutter.

Arkwright is a tight-fisted shop owner in Doncaster, who will stop at nothing to keep his profits high and his overheads low, even if this means harassing his nephew Granville. Arkwright's only weakness is his love - Nurse Gladys Emanuel.

For years the main characters have remained in the story. Others came and went sometimes for short periods and sometimes for many episodes. They helped to make the story more exciting.

Some of the main chracters were Granville, Maureen, Arkwright, Mrs. Blewett, Nurse Gladys Emmanuel, The Milk Lady, and Mrs. Featherstone.

Each episode is a story on its own but it forms part of the whole story.
  • Open All Hours

This show is yet another classic. It stars the late Ronnie Barker and David Jason. It is really funny especially Ronnie Barkers stuttering. That really cracks me up. This is yet another show that ends too soon we just get stuck with cheap comedys such as Little Britain which is not funny at all.
  • the bullying of granville, the 'goosing' of nurse gladys emmanuel, the stutter, all classic comedy a brilliant feat of comedic genius! thanks Ronnie Barker!!

what a show!!!
    i love this programme!
    it has to be my favourite programme, i have all the dvd\'s and watch them all the time!!
    Ronnie Barker is fantastic, he will be sorely missed!!
    David Jason is just as fab as Granville!
    brilliant!! thanx to all the cast and crew involved, they light up my day!!hehe
  • A very funny show!

I haven't seen Open All Hours in years. It used to be shown on PBS in the US at one time. I watched it regularly. Ronnie Barker (without his long-time partner, Ronnie Corbett) is perfectly suited to the role of a tightfisted, grumpy shopkeeper with an inept nephew as his assistant.