I am loving OITNB so much at the moment, and I'm always looking for new shows to watch. Weeds has been brought up by several people on threads talking about the show (obviously because the share the same creator), so I'm wondering if it's worth me giving it a go next?

Comments (5)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Well, Weeds was very politically incorrect, which makes it closer to OITNB, but it got too absurd as it went on. I remember the first two seasons were great, but then it got wackier and wackier, to a point where things wouldn't make sense anymore. I honestly fear for OITNB; I hope it won't go down that road, which made Weeds unbearable to me. I like it crazy, I just don't like it "bad writing makes no sense" crazy.
Flag
Its worth giving the first 2 seasons a watch - after that the quality goes downhill and there was no real progression for me. The central character in Weeds is very similar to the main character in OITNB.
I prefer the supporting cast in OITNB to the one in Weeds, so i prefer OITNB.
Flag
Well it's a lot different to OitNB. It's a snarky, politically incorrect comedy and breaks a lot of taboos. Similar shows would include It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and in some ways Arrested Development. Whereas OitNB is firmly a dramedy, just as strong in dramatic gravitas as satire and black humour. Jenji does bring her strong snarky dialogue to both shows. So they're completely different but Weeds was great early on and definitely worth checking out, just bear in mind that it did go for a long time (8 seasons) and there was a pretty steep decline in quality after the first few seasons - don't feel like you have to watch it all. I do think that OitNB is better than Weeds and shows Jenji is improving as a showrunner.
Flag
Hmmm. I like all the things you mentioned about it, but I'm not a huge fan of It Always Sunny and Arrested Development - I was sort of hoping for another dramedy (I think a good show, like OITNB, balances these well). I don't mind about the length, I'm a television addict and there's rarely been a show where once I've watched the first season I'm stopped watching. I usually stick with it until the end (despite my best interests).
Flag
Follow this Show
Members