Orange Is the New Black S01E02 / S01E03: "Tit Punch" / "Lesbian Request Denied"

How glad am I that I only discussed the first episode of Orange Is the New Black in my initial review of the series? *Extends arms wide in opposite directions like Inspector Gadget* THIS GLAD. But I got lucky. Like everyone else who writes about television, we here at TV.com are still trying to figure out how to cover Netflix series and their smorgasbord distribution model. For Orange is the New Black, we decided to review the pilot, then do a weekly Wednesday write-up of two episodes until we reach the finale, which'll get it own solo review (there are 13 episodes in Season 1, so that's how the math worked). 

The reason I'm particularly glad the schedule worked out this way is that the "Oh, so THIS is how they're going to do it!" shock from Episode 1 to Episode 2 was astounding, and it deserves specific attention and mountains of praise that otherwise would have been lost amid an initial overview and first impressions of the series. I'm stoked because we're going to get flashback stories for all of these wonderful characters. Yes! Ever since Lost first perfected the time-traveling structure of character-specific flashback episodes, many imitators have failed to grasp what made it work for Jack, Kate, Locke, and the rest of the Oceanic 815 crew: They were all already fascinating characters. And guess what? So are all the characters in Orange is the New Black, from the pervy security guard to the googly-eyed lesbian maniac to the relatively prim Piper Chapman.  

I'm stretching my brain thinking of another show that has used this approach as deftly as Orange Is the New Black has in its first three episodes. The flashbacks in the first episode, though crafted expertly, weren't surprising; they filled us in on how this somewhat naive white girl landed her somewhat naive ass in jail. She's the protagonist, of course we were going to learn more about her.

But when "Tit Punch" opened in a Russian bakery with a younger, more cheerful, and more reddish Red (Kate Mulgrew's Stalinesque prison cafeteria boss), it was an "Aha!" moment that couldn't have been more welcome. Orange Is the New Black's prison is the island from Lost for these characters, and just like with John Locke, their lives on the outside dictate their lives on the inside. The most common question to ask a prisoner, according to movies and conventional wisdom, is "What are you in for?" (even if Piper thinks you're not supposed to bring it up). But the most interesting question to ask is "How did you get here?" "What mistakes did you make in life that landed you in a bright orange jumpsuit?" "How did you F up, girl?" Those stories usually remain untold, but we're going to get plenty of them in Orange is the New Black, and seeing these pre-prison characters slowly start to shine through the rough exteriors of their hardened and herded criminal selves will be what makes this show such a fantastic watch. 

"Tit Punch" and "Lesbian Request Denied" gave us two new backstories, the aforementioned look at Red as a rather goofy baker trying to crack a circle of eurotrash MILFs, and the daring and provocative but so-damn-human story of Sophia the resident transgender hairstylist. Of the two, I'd say Red's made the best use of what I'd like to see from the flashbackin' format. We learned more about how Red came to be the way she is in prison, and why she was predisposed to not liking Piper (bad experiences with yuppies). Sophia's story, while powerful in its own right and a tearful and heartwarming introduction to her character, didn't mesh as well with what's going on with her in prison. But wow, how about the respect her arc was given? Sure, the situation with Sophia and her son once Marcus became Sophia was as predictable as expected in a television show that's touching on a transgender issue (though it was also well handled). But Sophia and her wife? That was fantastic, authentic, humanizing, tissue-using, non-presumptuous storytelling.

Getting back to Piper, Orange Is the New Black's skill at combining a nightmare situation with humor for our sick entertainment was dominated by her "courtship" with Suzanne, the resident cuckoopants better known as Crazy Eyes. And what made it so special was how unexpectedly it played out. We anticipated Suzanne flipping out and cutting a bitch, especially after Piper dumped her, but her wooing never amounted to anything beyond the sweetness of a schoolgirl crush, and she took the breakup like a champ. Just leave your expectations at the doorstep of this show, because they're not going with you. It's only when Suzanne freaked out in the cafeteria and then hastily reverted to a grinning joker that we were reminded of her potential to smother people with a maxipad if someone looks at her the wrong way. As for that final scene of her peeing in front of Piper's new crib... I dunno, I'm not actually taking that as an act of outright hostility, does that make me weird? 

And what are you all thinking about Piper so far? I'm sticking with my initial assessment of her as a love-hate character, but a fantastic one overall. It's okay, you don't have to love everything about a character to really like them. This is TV, we're not dealing with real people. In fact, Piper reminds me an eensie-weenie bit of Enlightened's Amy Jellicoe in that I can't take my eyes off either of them, but the only way I'd want to hang out with one of them in real life would be if I was looking for a shitshow. But as far as watching them on a television series? More, please! And Taylor Schilling is killing it as Piper, walking that tightrope between sympathetic and stuck-up and basically capturing the entire tone of the show with a sideways glance or plea for cocoa butter.

Going to prison is often a lifelong sentence for an offender's reputation. No one shakes off the label of prisoner, they're an ex-con for life. But by showing us who these prisoners were, who they've become, and who they can be, Orange Is the New Black is returning humanity to these folks in a truly surprising and heartfelt way. In other words, I like it. Sorry for the sap.

CONJUGAL VISITS

– In the opening of "Lesbian Request Denied," did I hear a little Breaking Bad shoutout? Sophia's firefighter friend said something about a half-burnt stuffed bear with one eye melted, like the pink bear from Season 2.

– Was there a hint that Sophia's son was just as upset with Sophia for resorting to criminal means to get her surgery as he was with the surgery himself? He gave Sophia's wallet and all those credit cards a really long look.

– Every episode will be like opening a Cracker Jack box with the hidden prize inside. Who is the next episode going to be about? That was one of my favorite parts of Lost. I cannot wait for Nicky's episode.

– Healy's warnings about lesbians ("Lesbians can be very dangerous... it's the testosterone") never get old. Also never getting old, Piper's flinching. That woman can flinch like a pro!

– I like half of the Regina Spektor title song, and I can't get it out of my head. Stop it, song! Go! Shoo! Go Away!

Orange Is the New Black keeps adding characters and unlike with most shows, I never want it to stop. That's how good it is at characterization. It's like Justified-level characters up in here!

– How many more times in my life do I have to watch Jason Biggs masturbate?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/17/2016

Season 4 : Episode 13

89 Comments
Comments (89)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"This is TV, we're not dealing with real people."

Actually, it's a tv show based on Piper Kerman's memoir about her time in prison, so we are dealing with real people.
Flag
Staff
Sophia's son turned her in. That is why he gave her wallet and those stolen credit cards a long hard look as she was being led away in handcuffs.
Flag
I can't wait on the review to watch the show--to addicting--so I watched the season and then remembered to come here to read the review.
Great review and I love the show's blend of drama, comedy, realism and important issues...and so much more.
I loved House of Cards and absolutely love OiTNB
Flag
Yeah, the flashbacks work for me too, except they don't really tell how the characters came to do jail time, or do they? Is it just me not understanding?
So Red had to allow a few bodies or body parts to be stored in their freezer. Was that her crime?
And we saw Sophia get arrested, but nobody said why, but her son sitting with her wallet apparently had something to do with it.
Somebody care to explain? Or am I just jumping the gun, and we'll get all the answers in later episodes?
Flag
She used false credit cards, we know that because when her wife tells her that maybe they are going to lost their house she told her that she´d never paid that debt with the false plastic money
Flag
Love this show so much. And I'm doing well at not getting ahead of Tim so far.
Flag
YES. The Lost comparison. Outta my head, Tim. There's barely any room in there.
Flag
Captain Janewayyyyyy...

that is all!
Flag
I have a nasty little habit. I'm addicted to reading. And when I run out of my weekly library stash early, I start browsing iBooks for new releases that look worth purchasing.

Friday (we go to the library every Saturday), I'd finished my weekly stash and started looking at the iBooks charts. Though I hate to admit it, covers of books play a huge part in whether or not I click on them to see what they're about. The title "Orange is the New Black" grabbed me immediately, as did the cover art. After I read the synopsis if the book, I immediately bought it and read it that night. It was fabulous. I'm going through some ridiculous legal trouble right now, and most things jail-related scare me off, but this just looked so good I couldn't resist.

It wasn't until after I read the book and started looking for book reviews and pics of piper that I found out there was a Netflix TV show. I was so thrilled! I immediately logged on to my friend's account (I'm too cheap to pay for my own, and he's generous.) to find this show. I didn't realize all 13 episodes had been released and thought only one or two would be out, so I put my watching off until today, when I had nothing planned.

I got really excited when the next episodes kept popping up this morning. I hit google again and discovered they're all available. So I've been lying in my bed eating chocolate and watching this fabulous show all day.

Though I love the show, I have to wonder how many viewers read the book before watching. There are some really big differences in the book and the show. I understand some changes have to be made for the sake of continuity and cohesion, but the main difference that irked me a bit at first is how Piper felt about prison when she arrived. It seems in the TV show, she's treated rather poorly upon arrival, and eventually she begins to make friends and settle in. In the book, she remarked several times about how overly kind and sympathetic the women were when she arrived. Another key difference that's gotten my goat, so to speak, is Piper's fiancé, Larry. In the book, he's never portrayed as anything but supportive and loving, and I don't recall them ever even getting into a minor argument during her incarceration. In the show, Larry has a few selfish prick moments. I'm not liking the TV show Larry, whereas I totally adored the book Larry.
More+
Flag
I went up to episode 5, and I still like the show. I hated the Lost flashbacks, especially once the years went on. It was basically "We get the idea! Get back to damn island!" But here, it works fine for me. I mean, it's not like they're going anywhere.

I like Piper alright. She annoyed me in the first episode, but most people who are completely clueless annoy me. I think she's making up for it pretty quickly, and she's at least up to normal for me.

And I agree about Sophia's wife. She's a champion. And I like the theme song. After so many years of fast forwarding or clicking off the Weeds theme song, this one is just girly music to my ears.
Flag
Best lines. You should do a portion of the reviews dedicated to the best line(s) of each episode.

Episode #1
Thank God I got cancer.
No one fucks with cancer.

Flag
So I went bat shit crazy and watched the whole season in two days. I'm digging this show. I watched most of Weeds during its run. So Jenji Kohan's name was enough for me to check it out. I love that all of these characters... no matter how awesome, funny, angry, creepy, weird, narcissist, or sexy they were. They still were explored.

As you pointed out, many shows have failed at doing that whole "life before this" flashback thing. I'm so happy that this writing group can juggle all of this so well. I also noticed that my crush on Laura Prepon has increased 10000 times more. Also Piper reminds me of Nancy from Weeds alot. You love her. But you also acknowledge that she is kind of... an asshole.
Flag

Episode 6 is the best so far and really funny !
Flag
"How many more times in my life do I have to watch Jason Biggs masturbate?"

Man, I think he was cast because of that! ROFL!

I had only watched 2 eps and went to my friend's at 1 am and watched 3 more while he slept... that desperate I was... (no netflix, no TV actually LOL & he's got better internet connection!)

I think the show is amazing!!! Nice review by the way Tim!
Flag
Based on his multiple masturbation scenes, perhaps he should be known as Jason Jerkoff.
Flag
I've been guilty of doing the same thing. Oh your wifi is good? We should hang out later...
Flag
No, not my wifi, my friend's :-(
Flag
I know. I was impersonating myself saying that to a friend with half way decent wifi.
Flag
Awesome review of an awesome TV show. Keep it up Tim!
I really enjoyed the comparissons to 'Lost', which also had an awesome first season because of how great was to get to know the interesting characters, who they were before the Island and see them connect with each other, while trying to survive. I've also seen the first season of 'Weeds' and, although funny and believable, I didn't find as compeling or interesting as the first season of 'Orang is the New Black' (yes I've already seen the whole season). Can't wait for season 2 to come out!
Flag
Exactly, what I said... Tim´s thoughts towards the similarity to Lost were the same as mine. I started watching it on Saturday and guess how far I am now? ;)
It is just great, so human but crazy
Flag
I really enjoy this show, in fact I just got finished season one. I can't really talk about the things I disliked until everyone's caught up though because they only become apparent later in the season. It's a great show but there are certain things it does that really annoys me that alot of dramas do to kind of manipulate the situation instead of have it happen organically. It makes the characters seem like characters rather than actual people, they're just following a script even though I feel like if that was a real person they wouldn't be saying those things or acting that way. You know what I mean?
Flag
am i only the one who is soooo slow at catching up on shows? Although I really enjoyed the first episode and I full intended to watch these two before your review... yeah, no-- didn't happen. I'll be back...
Flag
I assumed the "really long look" Sophia's son gave the wallet and credit cards were a hint that he turned her in. Am I the only one who's mind went there?
Flag
I just watched this episode again (I finished the season a while ago but felt like rewatching it all) and while I didn't notice it very much the first time, I totally got the vibe this time that Sophia's son tipped the cops.
Flag
Yep and Sophia knew but the mother doesn't. It's a heart breaking story line and it's done brilliantly. The wife pleading that she keeps her penis. I felt so sorry for her.
Flag
That's the same thing I thought, but I'm not sure how likely that is.
Flag
I definitely think that's what they were implying.
Flag
Loved the show. I wish all summer shows were this good.
Flag
why why why! is red in prison? was it purposely left open for interpretation or did i miss something? its driving me batty! anyone??
Flag
Without giving away any spoilers, her story is built upon in another episode down the road, though if I remember correctly I still don't think we get the whole story.
Flag
Well she and her husband were helping conceal dead bodies for what seems like organized crime. Depending on how it shook down, maybe she was forced to take the fall for it, that could definitely get you thrown in federal prison. But there's also more explanation later on in the series.
Flag
Your praise was spot on. ^_^

'Orange Is The New Black' is really made by its characters. I see a lot of people comparing it to weeds, but Prison provides endless opportunities for new stories. I don't think we need to worry.
Flag
This show is cool, different and just refreshing. But Weeds was like that then tailspinned after sea 2, we'll see!
Flag
LUV'ed this series. I was going to stretch it out but got carried away and did an Orange-a-thon. WOW! Easy to tell that some of the writing team used to be WEEDS talent - the similarities were easy to catch. Reaaly great "cliffhangers" between episodes even though it was easy enough to just dial up the next one
Flag
So many thoughts, first and foremost that I am flabbergasted with the pure brilliance that this show has created. I've never seen women so authentically portrayed before. I totally agree with the Lost connection; it does just as good of a job showing these women pre-incarceration as Lost did showing its characters pre-purgatory: heartbreaking yet endearing. Healy's anti-lesbian crusade is absolutely hilarious. And OMG yes, when I saw Jason Biggs masturbating in this I was like, is it in his rider that he must touch himself at least once in every job? But he's a great Larry, even though the women are the show stealers in this series.
Flag
Also I want to shake Diaz and Bennett and be like "What are you doing?! Bad idea alert!," but they're so fucking sweet I can see why they won't stop. Very innocent and tender love they have for each other.
Flag
I was going to follow along with the two episodes a week and completely failed. I couldn't stop watching. Loved the show and can't wait to read the reviews.
Flag
I tried to wait for you, Tim - but I just had to marathon OITNB. It's addictive like hell and it feels great!

Taylor Schilling is amazing as Piper. I'm absolutely in love with both the character and the actress.

Red, Crazy Eyes, Spanish Mammas, Nicky and Alex are also fantastic. I don't want to spoil anything - but just wait to see how all these characters are going to evolve - especially our protagonist.

OINB is like that rumored The L Word spin-off focusing on Alice's life in prison - which we have never gotten. And is awesome!
Flag
This might be the best article Tim has written so far.

As for this damn show..... I LOVE IT. lol I was already obsessed with it only one episode in, and now that I'm half way through, my feelings still haven't changed. If anything, I love it more, if that's even possible. Way to go, Netflix. Bravo.
Flag
Also, sorry if this has already been pointed out, but how weird is it that piper and Katy perry look exactly the same. Am I alone on this?
Flag
Not alone at all
Flag
This show is awesome! It has been a really positive surprise, and definitely the best show by Netflix so far. Hats off for Netflix. When you reviewed the first episode, some people said the show is boring, lame and what not. I have to disagree with every single one of them. Those of you who don't like OitNB: I'm sorry, but you are wrong.

I haven't been this excited about a show in a long time. I'm just about to start watching episode nine, and so far it's still great. There are some really amazing characters, scenes which make me laugh out loud, and also emotional moments. The best thing about it is that the story is female centred, and finally we get to see women play different kinds of roles than just polished super model lookalikes as cops, lawyers or housewives. Best characters so far:

1. "Crazy Eyes" Warren
2. "Pornstache" Mendez, the guard
3. Nichols (Natasha Lyonne)
4. Diaz+Bennett, one of the sweetest on-screen couples right now, if not the sweetest.
5. "Pennsyltucky" Doggett

What am I doing? Why did I think I could rank such an amazing group of characters? Several of the actresses don't have a lot on their resumes before OitNB. For some it's their first project. So they could not have picked a better show to present their acting chops on. The only one I don't like is Laura Prepon. Never liked her, and I still don't. She always has the same facial expressions for certain feelings, and the same way of delivering lines. Often she has that grin on her face that makes it look like she's about to burst out laughing.
More+
Flag
I couldn't rank these characters if my life depended on it they're all wonderful, Good on ya for trying though.
Flag
I take it you didn't see the rest of the episodes?

Laura Prepon's Alex is gorgeous - she, Piper and Nicky are my favorite ones. Just give her a chance. She shines later on. And Nicky's comments of Piper and Alex are the best one liners of the whole show.
Flag
I hate Alex's eyebrows... I think that's really the only thing keeping me from thinking of Alex as gorgeous physically.
Flag
Going into the show, I really didn't like Laura Prepon. For a while, I predicted she (and Taryn Manning) would ruin the show for me. But while she hasn't done anything particularly great, I've also kinda been pleasantly surprised with her. I quite like her character (Alex) and as far as I can tell, Prepon isn't making her worse. But who knows, maybe I'd like Alex more if she was portrayed by someone else. I agree about her facial expressions but I guess I think it works for Alex.

Hehe, it took me a while to really embrace and appreciate the douchy-ness of Pornstache. The first few episodes, I didn't like him all that much... then the more I saw him as an asshole, the more I liked him as a character. Ha.
Flag
Omg I love Diaz and Bennett!
Flag
Staff
Hey! I've seen you post some funny gifs in other communities but have you checked out the Orange is the New Black community yet? http://www.tv.com/shows/orange-is-the-new-black/community I feel like your comment here is really awesome (especially the character ranking!) & I feel like other users in the community there would love your ideas!
Flag
I noticed the community only a few hours ago, thanks. Ben45tpy has apparently already created a character poll there, but for some reason it's not working.
Flag
Staff
We will look into that error, thanks for bringing it to our attention!
Flag
Staff
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I already finished the whole season. I never tought a show about prison will have great character development like this show. Honestly, this show made me want to watch the next episode more than House of Cards. The acting is top notch, Chilling and Mulgrew in partiticular.
Flag
I really love this show. I'm glad you're reviewing it! I've been trying to pace myself in watching it so I don't have to wait a year for the new season.
Flag
Unlike Maccsa, below, I'm going to savor this gem. It's not like I don't have anything to watch because I'm behind on many of todays great new shows--Banshee, Rectify, Orphan Black, House of Cards, The Good Wife, Defiance and on and on. My wife doesn't like any of these, you see, so I savor. My only fear is that I'll die before I finish all of them. I marathoned BSG, sort of (1 or 2 a day, anyway) a few years back and when it was done I felt a bit cheated, and not by the show, but my exhibition of gluttony on the matter. You folks who have nothing to watch during the summer have only yourselves to blame because there's so much good stuff out there we don't really have time for it all and I like a lot of stuff...
Flag
I just finished Rectify. One of the best shows this year. I hope you like it.
Flag
Oh, I do so very much--3 episodes to go...
Flag
A) are you done patting yourself on the back now? and B) Maybe some of us don't have things to watch during the summer because we have more discerning tastes (I'd rather spend my time punching myself in the face than watching another episode of Defiance--it's less painful) and thus have had time to watch all the shows we like as they aired. Right now there are only 3 hours of new programming on a week I want to watch so yes, I killed it on OITNB the day is came out. With a show this good I had to know what was going to happen, knowing I can enjoy rewatching later at a leisurely pace.
Flag
To each his own. I am pretty cool, though--now I'm done...
Flag
I kinda thought that the long look at Sophia's wallet meant that the son ratted her out. and he called the cops on her because he wanted her out of his life.
Flag
I agreed with Tim's take, it was more like " you were willing to risk going to prison and spending years apart because I'm less important to you than having a vagina?"
Flag
I have only watched 3 episodes & to me the kid staring at the wallet felt like that bizzo where young kids put themselves at the centre of everything & blame themselves for it.
So he was staring at the wallet wondering if his insistence that dad buy him the most expensive pair of shoes in the shop had been the cause of dad getting busted.

Flag
That seems plausible
Flag
Hi Tim, thanks for reviewing the show but 2 episode a week might be a little slow. I think by the time you get to the finale, most of us would have finished it. Maybe you can do 2 episode every 3 days.

I really wanted to like this show more but it is not as exciting for me as House of Cards. For House of Cards, I was dying to watch the next episode and I marathon it all in a few days.

For this show, its day 6 since I started and I am only in episode 5. It does not make me wanted to quickly watch it. It is just not exciting enough. Since it is by the same creator, I would definitely compare it to Weeds. I just find Weeds more funny and surprising especially the first few seasons. Mary Louise Parker charm is also a key factor. Taylor Schilling gets better as the season progress but she is not charming enough to be the main lead.

The show is too light for a prison drama and yet not half as funny as weeds. Having said all that, I will probably finished it and I hoped the story will get better.

SPOILER below !!

I have to write it down first before I forgot. Will probably cut and paste in the next review.

I really liked the back story about Claudette. I like it better than the one about Red and Sophia but it sort of seems incomplete. I am still not exactly sure if she really did the crime and there is no mention of it in episode 5. I hope they will revisit it later. They wasted a lot of time on the chicken story which is too me very meaningless.

More+
Flag
I don't agree with anything you said except for the chicken bit. That drove me nuts, and since it wasn't in the book, I'm not really sure why it was even necessary.
Flag
Its fine that you disagree. I am a big fan of Weeds especially the 1st few season but this show just does not attract me as much. I finished episode 8 three days ago and no rush to watch episode 9 at all. I do want to finish the series but there are so many other shows I am watching. Perhaps I will wait and watch it just in time for Tim's review weekly.
Flag
I'm loving EVERYTHING about OITNB! And wait until you watch the episode about Claudette, Tim, you will never ever want that one to end
Flag
CANT WAIT ANOTHER YEAR FOR MORE.
Flag
I'm so glad you guys are gonna do these reviews. I just finished watching the season yesterday and i'm going into withdrawal.

I loved how they handled the flashbacks, and it made me love, or at least understand, those wonderful characters.
I really like Piper. I like her even more as the season goes on, even as we see more of her flaws. I'm excited to see how this whole experience is going to transform her as the seasons pass.

"Lesbians can be very dangerous... it's the testosterone". That cracked me up. I love how they can mix drama and comedy so well in this.

I really wanna talk about more latter episodes, but i'm going to contain myself and focus on reading the other comments.
Flag
Ah, I knew there was a review for the pilot somewhere! I saw it on the main page one day but didn't read it because I had yet to watch the episode. I tried looking for the review again a few days later after I watched the episode and oddly couldn't find it. *shrugs*

Anyway, I'm on episode 8 and I'm loving the show. Sure, I assume real life prison is a lot more harsh and not as camaraderie-building overall -- probably less like high school than how the show portrays it -- but realistic or not, I'm finding it enjoyable to watch.

During the second episode, I was initially groaning when I realized the show would be exploring the background of all these characters. I didn't like the idea and it seemed like a 'cheap' way to fill out multiple seasons. "What should we write about for this episode? Let's introduce a new prisoner and give her a backstory!" That approach doesn't appeal to me. But Orange is Black is being written very well, I think, and the actors are all doing a really good job with it, to the point where I actually like most, if not all, of these inmates and have no problem watching what their lives were like before prison.

When Jason Biggs' character started masturbating, I immediately deduced that he is either typecast as the loserish-masturbator, or he's actively seeking out roles that feature some masturbating because he feels like that's his strength -- he's an average actor in most ways, but an award-worthy actor in masturbating.

Finally, I'm loving Taylor Schilling as Piper. She does the naive/smart-but-confused look and act very well. That said, I'm generally liking all of the actors and characters.
More+
Flag
I believe Biggs' character on the show is making a commentary about the worthiness of people in general because by the end of the 13 episodes he was as unlikable as any other character on the show, including Pennsatucky.
Flag
What a suprisingly captivating show, Iam so glad it has been renewed for a second season. I went through all 13 episodes in 2 days, that's how hooked I was.
Flag
I lied last week. I couldn't resist watching the entire series. It's SO GOOD. But I am not a spoiler, and will only talk about these two episodes, as much as I'd like to do otherwise.

This show is so good at little moments. It would be so easy to make a bunch of women's prison one-dimensional cliche characters. But, just like Justifed as Tim pointed out, (and Justified is my favorite current show, so this is high praise indeed) they take the time to make each character human and real and complex. Everyone on the show does something bad, and obviously everyone of these women made some kind of mistake to land them in prison. But Orange has a way to make every character appear so....likeable.

It's hard, with this being Jenji Kohan, to not compare to the first few, good season's of Weeds. This show doesn't take itself THAT seriously. There's so much silly comedy at times, it's difficult to take it seriously. But then they hit a beat where they try to dig deep, and be earnest, and they nail it. Every time. The whole Sophia flashback is a great example of that. To see how much she has sacrificed to become the person she felt she was inside; and the ramifications that had on her family, her son in particular. And as for the scene where Sophia was arrested, and the son was staring at the cards; I took that as he was the one that called the cops, no?

Anyway, I'm in love with this show. It's so fresh, the characters are all so complex and interesting and funny and heartfelt. I can't wait until next week because I want to talk about so much more than hasn't happened yet.
More+
Flag
Staff
You should check out the Orange is the New Black community! http://www.tv.com/shows/orange-is-the-new-black/community You can post about all the episodes there with other fans and not have to wait any longer! :) -Jessica, TV.com staff
Flag
Follow this Show
Members