We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Netflix (Returning June 17, 2016)

Online video streaming, the rise of the DVD box set, and Netflix's well-known model of releasing its original programming one full season at a time have changed the way we watch television, and last Friday's drop of Orange Is the New Black's sophomore season allowed dedicated fans to park their keisters on the couch and watch until they ran out of episodes or their eyeballs dried out, whichever came first.

The idea of watching six episodes of a show over the course of a few days scares the cheese out of me because I do not consider myself a good binge-watcher. Maybe it's my weak constitution or my attention deficiency, maybe it's a fear of reaching the end too soon, but for some reason, I'm just not interested in swallowing a huge chunk of a season in one go.

But I did it, watching three episodes of Orange Is the New Black Season 2 per night for two nights (which isn't THAT difficult, I'll admit) and I found it to be absolutely pleasant. In fact, if I had set out to review the series in a more traditional fashion of one episode at a time, my glowing praise of the first half of the season would've sounded a lot more like a slog, due to the first two episodes consisting primarily of set-up. 

And yet, I'm finding it difficult to catch up on a few other shows I've fallen behind on—namely, Orphan Black and The Americans—and I've found that only really stomach one episode per sitting. Why does binge-watching work for some shows and not for others?

Opinions will differ on which shows lend themselves to binging, and every show is binge-able to some degree, but I think I've broken the code on what works for me, and it all comes down to genre. Below, I've judged four types of television shows on their binge-ability; share your own thoughts in the comments!

1. EXPANSIVE, WORLD-BUILDING ENSEMBLE DRAMAS

EXAMPLES: Orange Is the New Black, The WireBattlestar GalacticaLost, Game of Thrones, Friday Night Lights 

The trademark here is a huge ensemble cast, with each character playing his or her part in a larger world—whether it's a women's prison, a football community in Texas, or a mysterious island with a questionable past. In the case of Orange Is the New Black specifically, the show extends its character stories across several episodes rather than condensing them into a single hour and then leaving them behind. Piper's problems have their own tunnel, but Red, Daya, and Nicky are each walking their own interesting path. There isn't just an A, B, and C story, there's a whole alphabet in play. Binging on Orange Is the New Black is like watching 10 episodes laterally (as opposed to chronologically), with each compartmentalized plot adding a layer to the bigger, series-long arc (while the backstories provide a solid backbone for single servings, of course). You don't watch just to see what happens next, you want to see what's going on with everyone.

VERDICT: Stock up on eyedrops, these are highly binge-able! I plowed through The Wire three or four episodes at a time, and it made for a fantastic viewing experience.

2. SINGLE- AND DOUBLE-CHARACTER STUDY DRAMAS 

EXAMPLES: Breaking Bad, Hannibal, DexterMad MenHomelandJustifiedHouse of Cards 

Yeah, yeah, you're like, "But Tim, Breaking Bad is the ULTIMATE binge show, my trigger finger is itchin' just thinking about it!" The difference here, in my humble opinion, is that the show gets better when you spend 167 hours between each episode thinking about what just happened and discussing it with your friends. I don't know about you, but lingering on the midpoint of the epic shootout that ended "To'hajiilee" enhanced the experience for me. Since these types of shows are really about only one or two characters (Walter White, Don Draper, Carrie Mathison, Hannibal Lecter and Will Graham, Boyd Crowder and Raylan Givens), with other characters' plots supporting that of the main character (or two), they're best enjoyed in a slow burn.

VERDICT: Best in small bites, which will allow you to truly appreciate the flavor. Binge if you want, but you might miss out on the fine appreciation that comes with time. I looked forward to the time after each Breaking Bad episode, and to the anticipation that led up to each new installment, as much as I loved watching the episodes themselves. (You could argue that Game of Thrones belongs in this category for the same reason, except for the one or two main characters thing.)

3. SERIALIZED COMEDIES

EXAMPLES: Arrested Development, Veep, Silicon Valley, Awkward., How I Met Your Mother (kinda)

The half-hour serialized comedy—which I define as a sitcom that features prolonged, ongoing storylines, just like a drama—is a rare breed these days that lives mostly in the realm of cable television. But these are some of the most binge-able shows out there. At 30 (or 22) minutes long, they're the Lay's potato chips or crack cocaine of TV. Watching an extra episode of Arrested Development is easy-peasy because laughter is energizing, and the quick pacing and short runtime practically beg you to watch just one more. In contrast, settling in for another episode of Mad Men at midnight requires the steely fortitude of a lumberjack, because of the daunting, hour-long commitment and the emotional exhaustion it will bring. 

VERDICT: Get yourself a sitting donut, because you're gonna be sedentary for a while. Binge away! Arrested Development marathons on IFC are like a bowl of candy to me.

4. STANDARD SITCOMS

EXAMPLES: The Big Bang Theory, The Office, Community, Modern Family, The IT Crowd, The Simpsons, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

These shows often press the reset button in each episode by making sure that all their characters end up in the same orbit they started in. Everyone reconvenes on the living room couch/around the study group table/at the bar to both kick off and conclude the episode, basically. And the reason is simple: syndication! That's why, late at night, you'll see many of the comedies listed above airing on your local CW affiliate. These shows are the shrimp cocktail of television: You can have just one as a snack, or you can shovel them into your maw like a Humpback Whale until the ocean calls to say it's running out. Easily gorged on, but there's also nothing compelling you to continue. Perfect for any occasion. 

VERDICT: It's all about personal taste and your current situation. I can mainline six episodes of The IT Crowd and not even notice that my house is burning down, or I can be plenty happy to just watch one before I go to bed.  

Do you have rules for binge-watching? What shows have you binged? What shows did you try to binge but couldn't?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/12/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

192 Comments
Comments (192)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
American Horror Story is immensely better binge-watching, trust me. Coven just proved it to me.
Flag
I binge watch every show I want to see. Most of the times I don't start watching shows when they premiere. I wait until they get renewed for at least a second season and sometimes I even wait until they end. Then I watch them in a marathon.
I hate having to wait over summer /winter /holiday breaks to see what happens next and I hate that there's always one week between the episodes.
I tend to forget things that might be important one day when I watch shows that way. That's why I marathon shows. So I remember everything that happened as I have just seen it like 10 episodes ago.
Flag
I can only guess newsmagazines, talk shows, game shows, certain competitive, reality and nonfiction programs are NOT meant to be binge-watched?
Flag
24 . It pretty much invented and will always own serialized / binge-viewing. It's release on DVD created the DVDonTV craze and watching a show's season on DVD before the new season premieres. It also changed television to be riskier, bolder, and more serialized.
Flag
Pity the show is such a pile of shit.
Flag
i planned to binge watch helix this summer. I havent started watching anything bout it yet.. I was planning to do that with Hostage season 1 this summer but i couldnt resist watching ep2 after i started on 1. ended up binge watching the whole season in a few nights.

I love the idea of binge watching after a season has ended. its nice to know i dun hv to wait for the next ep. I do recommend not ever reading the shows only after watching it. the downside is, by the time you got to the damn exciting part of the show, most of the world is over it lol
Flag
orphan black is good for marathon but i wouldn't recommend twd or got unless one does have a very generous amount of will power to combat stress and separation anxiety
Flag
I have binge-watched (or "marathon-ed" as I prefer to say):
Teen Wolf
Firefly
Criminal Minds
One Tree Hill
Wonderfalls
Veronica Mars
Gilmore Girls (the first season only, then I slowed down)
TVD (the first two seasons)
BtVS (the first season only. I'm still working my way through the series now!)
Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 (LOVE this one!!)
HIMYM

I've tried to marathon many other shows, but I'm hindered only by the fact that some shows (the majority of shows) I'm interested in, are only offered in DVD's, if I go through Netflix...so that's only four to five episodes at a time. Doesn't exactly count.

Shows I've attempted to marathon but couldn't:
Haven (Couldn't get into it. Overeager, I ignored the "4-Episode Test" rule-of-thumb, and just jumped in; but I found my mind wandering after S1 episode 5, and then realized I didn't really care about the show in the first place. Should probably try again.)
Eureka
the Law and Order/CSI/NCIS franchise (I can handle two of these in one sitting, at the most...they're just too legally-oriented for me; for whatever reason. Strange, because I like cop shows....just not these; even if they are considered the "Golden Three". :)

Melissa's Marathon Rules:
If possible, watch with box sets, or through Netflix...that way there are no commercials, and I have more time to get through the actual episodes!

Take at least a twenty-minute break after each disc I finish, or every four episodes; and do something productive that does not involve a screen.

Follow a regular eating schedule, with at least one piece of fruit. (This really means...a TV marathon is not an excuse for a day full of junk food.) Thou Shalt Not Starve Because of a Show.

More+
Flag
Staff
Binged on BSG, Arrested Development, and HIMYM. Loved every second of it.
Flag
I always called watching an entire season "marathoning", but binge-watching works too. I'll binge watch every DVD series I buy or DVR, which usually means sci-fi series. I've binge-watched too many shows to list, but I've binge-watched Orphan Black, The Gates, Teen Wolf, Agents of SHIELD, and Haven recently.
Flag
I am a terrible binge-watcher. I can sit down and watch many hours at once but I have to shuffle through a few shows.
Flag
I hate to wait a week or sometimes a few weeks for a new episode so either I have the opportunity to watch it all at once for example with netflix or older seasons or I wait until a season is complete and watch it then and when it is the really good stuff and there is no way of waiting then I have to watch it piece by piece but it sucks. You are right in the story with it´s drama, action and tension and then boom ... please wait until next week. In my opininion it makes way more fun and it also let´s you really dive into the story when you binge-watch it. So binge-watching is definitely the new black of how to watch tv these days.
Flag
Started and finished Orange is the new black in one sitting.
Flag
no offense but I think lots lots lots of tv viewers including myself were doing binged watching before its was called binge watching!!
Flag
I think marathons best serve shows where the season is more than the sum of its parts, if you will. For example, I am a huge fan of Angel and I always think of the last 10 episode of Season 5 as one giant chunk. Knowing how it all happens, I can't watch one without binging on the rest.
Flag
I feel the same way about both the large ensembles and the one or two character studies - I know that I appreciate them more when they are parceled out week by week and I have time to savor and appreciate them, but given the chance I will binge them because I always want to know what is happening next.
Flag
That the problem with Breaking Bad for me too. I never watched it when it originally aired, and I just cannot binge-watch it. Too many things happen, my brain needs time to process, and binge-watching for me means doing something else in the meantime (the first world problems of two computer screens). I think I have to resort to extreme measures for this show. An episode once a week, maybe.
Flag
Everything is good for binge watching, if I don't want to watch more than 1 episode of something in a row then it's not something I really like. The Americans I did like that and it was great. I'd always rather save something up and watch it over a short space of time, getting 1 ep then waiting a week is just out of date now! The Netflix/DVD boxset model is the future. There's so much good TV out there I don't get how people can watch 1 ep a lot of shows over a week and still remember everything that's going on in them. Binge watch them and it's easier to see overall whether a series works as a whole. Yeah I have to wait a year between enjoying stuff but there's so much other good TV to enjoy in between,
Flag
I call them marathons. It's the only marathon I'll ever do. I've only binge watched sitcoms. Watching Netflix, I've gone through 30 Rock, Better Off Ted, My Boys, The IT Crowd, and Arrested Development within a few sessions each. I don't have the patience to binge watch hour-long dramas, but most Saturdays our TV is tuned in to USA for a marathon of either NCIS or SVU while I'm in and out going about my business. I don't count that as binge watching.
Flag
Marathoning all the way.
Flag
@peterspoor33: I have to binge watch a show that rewards the viewer building up towards a final outcome.

Same as House M.D. showed the downfall of a 'functional addict' is no different than a regular addict, or Battlestar the reason why it all happened before and will happen again, I need to have that pay-off to feel binge-watching was worthwhile whether it's a character study or an epic saga.

I don't binge-watch shows with open endings (The Event, Flashforward, Heroes), same as I don't binge-watch shows that make things up as they go along (Supernatural, Once Upon a Time, Revolution).

If I feel the writers never put an effort in creating a consisten story, I won't put an effort in watching it again.
Flag
I would also add the category of soapy-feelgood-exciting-dramadies. This would include shows like Chuck, Grey's Anatomy, the OC and so on. The excitement these shows (occasionally) bring keeps it interesting, at the same time as the feelgood moments at the end of each episode makes you want to watch the next one immediately.

Oh and btw, even though I get that community is alright to watch an episode at the time, it is just wild how much better it is when you watch in order and look for the details. Most binge-able show ever!
Flag
best bingo show is 24 you can not watch one episode you have to see what happen next so you watch a lot of episodes together
another good one is Alias it was a show you have to see what happen next
Flag
Completely agree I did that for the first 5 episodes then I had no more *sob* now its just one at a time. 24 is the very classification of 'binge worthiness'
Flag
The best binge watch is Breaking Bad.
Flag
I don't like to binge-watch shows with life exhausting experiences: Bates Motel, Dexter, Breaking Bad may be alright for viwers that are okay to watch the human devastation of its characters for 4 to 5 hours at the time, but I need to watch those in one on one basis to deal with it.
Flag
agreed! I've binge watched quite a lot of shows on this list here. Especially the comedies, I definitely can't stop at just one episode. However, the quality of watching is poorer than watching a standalone episode weekly - exposure to too much content can be tedious and dull sometimes.
Flag
I agree with all of your picture except the last. I can't be expected to read...
Flag
BTW, a perfect binge watching show, because the subplots are complex and include a compelling romance, is Farscape. Four seasons and a movie. A bit taxing I suppose, but it's worth it.

Flag
I don't binge-watch shows with a compelling romance simply because chances are I've already seen Castle, Bones or Downton Abbey's main romance develop week after week.

It's unlikely I see Mary and Matthew met all over again when I know how it ended, fear for Booth and Brennan's close encounters and near misses when I know they end up married with a baby, or enjoy the ultimate chase that was Castle and Bekett knowing how things are between them as a couple.
Flag
Ah, but the romance twixt John Chricton and Areyn Sun is a never ending rocky road interrupted only for the purpose of saving the galaxy ... and some incredibly titillating flirtation. The fact that they (the characters that is) are already married hardly changes a thing. Indeed, rumours of a second feature film have been confirmed. So get your binge snacks ready ...
Flag
The way I see it, the love story is only worth watching as it unfolds onscreen.

Now, I may catch up with with untimely romances like Jim & Pam (The Office), Amy & Rory (Dr. Who) or Chuck & Sarah (Chuck), but I will not see it a second time nor I'd binge-watch it for it.
Flag
P.S. It's on Netflix.
Flag
I recall bingeing 4 seasons of The Wire, even though I'd already seen it. My friend, however, hadn't and that enthusiasm pulled me through the sleep deprivation.
Flag
It's funny because I've been binge watching tv shows for 4 or 5 years now, and although I've never called it binge watching, I have been known to say "I'm on a _________ binge."
Flag
Laugh tracks ruin it for me, so I can do serialized sitcoms and whatever you would call The Office, but standard joker/punch line sitcoms don't work beyond a small dose for me.

Also, super heavy shows (Boardwalk Empire, The Americans, even Breaking Bad) sometimes make it hard to get passed 1-3 episodes.

I did just watch all nine season of Scrubs in 3 weeks.
Flag
I find it really hard to watch more than 2 episodes of Boardwalk Empire in one sitting. I watched the last 2 episodes of season 3 back to back and even that was too much. Although i found The Americans really easy to binge. I watched the last half of season 1 in a day.
Flag
I'm mostly immune to the phenomenon of binge-watching, and I think the closest I've come to (3-4 episodes per day) was when catching up on Lost's early seasons and the entirety of Spartacus (because it was so damn captivating).
The temptation is undoubtedly the greatest when something ends on a cliffhanger and one can continue without having to wait a while (especially when it comes to season finales). Otherwise, I do find it more satisfying to savor the good stuff rather than try to devour it all at once.
Flag
I have just finished binge watching Teen Wolf, that kept me wanting to know what happens next. The other things I have found easy to binge watch are Buffy, Stargate and Firefly. I too remember the video shops that had tv shows where I discovered Andromeda and caught up on Charmed. I love binge watching tv.
Flag
There are two series that I haven't seen listed (apologies if you did) that I think are ideal for the summer, both of them seen of SciFi / SyFy and are very easy to watch in large doses;

1) Eureka - based in a fictional town where most of the worlds greatest minds live and the limits of scientific achievement are unlimited, the show follows sheriff Carter; an average guy who just happens to be good at his job which now include defusing dangerous experiments and saving the scientists from themselves. Part-procedural / sci-fi / comedy, this show is easy to watch and easy to love.
2) Warehouse 13 - When a presidential visit to a museum is interrupted by a madman and a mysterious thief, the two lead Secret Service agents find themselves at the Warehouse; a massive storehouse of objects with unfortunate side-effects to those who possess them. Their job? Join the thief (now their boss) and hunt these "artifacts" down and stop whatever trouble their causing. like Eureka, this show is ideal for the summer break and casts popular icons of world history in a new light.
Flag
I also waited with Sherlock until I could binge watch the seasons.

Flag
I agree on all of your verdicts.
Battlestar Gallactica, Orange is the New Black, and Firefly are my most binge-watched shows.
Though, I recently binge-watched the entire The IT Crowd series with my husband and thoroughly enjoyed it - but like you said with this one it's a you can binge, but you don't feel like you have to.
Flag
I think I started binge watching shows somewhere around '03, because I had this video shop (how many 'round here still remember those quaint little things?) down the street from me that would rent box sets of TV series for about 5 days at a time.

I had a week off work, a whole bunch of good Mexican beer & an obscenely large amount of lime-green weed...and in less than one week, I experienced a complete metamorphosis from being a life long movie geek to a brand new TV freak by diving head first into the first seasons of "Dead Like Me" & "Oz"

Binge-watching those two shows turned me from an occasional TV watcher into a full-on TV hobbyist, so apparently, those were the best types for me.
Flag
I like your categories, with the exception of standard comedies. Even really good standard comedies, like Friends, can get tiresome if you watch more than three half-hour episodes in a day.

Rather than try to pin it down by category (which I just don't have the brainpower for at the moment), I'll just list the shows that I remember binge-watching in the past, in no particular order:

Buffy. I've marathoned that show many times. :)
Also Angel, but only once.
I think I binge-watched the first couple seasons of Stargate SG-1 when catching up.
Smallville. I'd watch one or two disks worth at a stretch, depending on how many disks I had on hand.
Veronica Mars, S1.
Game of Thrones, of course. :)
Lost.
Avatar: The Last Airbender. Twice. Once when I was watching it the first time, and once just recently.
Naruto and Bleach. Depending, of course, on what's going on. Both shows have had long stretches where it's difficult to convince myself to keep watching, but have also had long stretches where I absolutely must watch the next episode, right now! :)
Actually, I've binge-watched almost every anime show I've ever seen.
I binge-watched about 5 or 6 episodes of Once Upon A Time, back in S1. Haven't watched more than 3 episodes in a single day since then, though.

Looking at this list, there are two categories of shows:
- Shows I binge-watched once, on episodes that I hadn't seen before.
- Shows I binge-watched more than once, even if I had seen them before.

The latter category is more interesting to me. Many shows can be binge-watched if you're catching up on shows you haven't seen before, but it takes a truly addictive show to binge-watch it, from the beginning, more than once! :) For me, just Buffy, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and some parts of Smallville and Bleach, fall into the latter category.
More+
Flag
Scandal is a wonderful show to binge-watch! Every episode feels like a season finale, so it always keeps you interested and on the edge of your seat!
Flag
I think for me the two most important rules about binge watching

1) intense exciting stories that keeps moving. If it is not, you will likely get bored after a few episodes of the same old thing or same old characters not moving at all.

2) A central mystery or a few strong characters (or very good actors) that get you emotionally involved with them so much, you really have an urgency to know what is going to happen to them

Following my 2 rules, shows like Breaking Bad, The Good Wife, House of Cards, Justified, GOT,OB and even TWD are very good for binge watching. I miss GOT, TGW and TWD on their first season and binge watch every episode not wanting to stop at all. For TGW, I miss all season one and two - total of more than 40 episodes and I had no problem finishing them in a go (a few days) and I did not feel bored at all.

If a good show that does not follow rule 1 or 2, I would rather watch them on a weekly basis.

OITNB is something I rather watch weekly as I am just not emotionally involved enough with any of the characters and the stories are not exciting enough for me.

Sitcoms and procedural are worse for binge watching as they follow almost the same formula every week. I cannot sit through more than two episodes at a time.

For those who had not watch Faking it (sister series to awkward), it is very good for binge watching as it is serialized and for me, I want to find out what is going to happen next at the end of every episode.

More+
Flag

As scripted shows continue the liberal slant toward Blacks, Homosexuals and feminists, shows like American Idol and Bachelor fill the void of good TV for viewers.So if you insulated, out of touch, woman studies writers and funny boy studio executives in Hollywood wonder why the high failure rate, figure this out... Trying to kill roles for white men and social engineer roles for woman and minorities kills shows.

I always wondered where the cowboy went. Gunsmoke (TV Series 1955–1975), Paladin ("Have Gun - Will Travel" (1957), Rawhide (TV Series 1959–1966) were staples on TV and the movies. John Wayne what a role model.

I began to think about this and wonder why it seems white men are being demeaned in movies and TV. It is becoming such a cliché.

Flag
I'm going to ignore the utter bigotry of the first half of your comment, because I don't even know what to say to that, but as for where the "cowboys" have gone - westerns in general, as a genre, are pretty dead - not just for TV, but in film and books as well. You do have some modern iterations now and then, such as Deadwood, but in general, it's fallen in popularity, and no just in television.
Flag
At least we still have Hell on Wheels.
Flag
Hannibal is a little too intense for back-to-back binge viewing. I did season 1 and now season 2 as an episode a night over two week blocks which was enough to get some sleep between nightmares. Watch 2 or three episodes in a row and you might end up as screwed up as Will!
Flag
This is missing dramas. Like the oc or oth. Those were the only ones I ever actually watched waay to much of(than you should in a day)
Flag
You're right about the comedies, I was late to the Arrested Development and Veep parties and I easily binge watched both of those and I missed the last season of Awkward and wanted to catch up before the new season started, oddly I didn't intend on binge watching it I just realised at 1:45 am I was still watching it. As for the drama's, I've been watching Breaking Bad in 5-6 episodes/week stints during summer and Christmas breaks, likewise with Dexter. I don't think they are as easy to binge watch as Orange is the New Black, The West Wing, Buffy, Alias, etc but I do want to once-and-for-all finish them and cross the off my (very literal) list so that I can move on to other (supposedly) great shows that I'm yet to watch, Friday Night Lights, The Wire, Rectify, Justified etc.
Another great show that everyone should binge watch before the new season starts... Utopia.
Flag
I love Utopia, It has a very trippy vibe to it. The cinematography is also great.
Flag
Utopia is awesome and I binged that show a while back. It's great for bingeing
Flag
Season 2 is due to air (here in the UK) next month, I can't wait!
Flag
Utopia (after I had done some wiki research) sounds like something I might been interested. It will have to wait till after the world cup probably.
Flag
You'll enjoy it, it's wonderfully weird! I like the way they shoot it, they try to stay true to their comic book roots and each scene usually has some vibrant coloured objects in, it took me three episodes to notice, but it looks great.
Flag
Once upon a Time and Scandal are suited for binge watching because you just want to see what happens next so you keep watching
Flag
I haven't actually thought it this way, but I do love binge watching The Big Bang Theory but dislike watching only one episode at the time. Most recently I watched True Detective's first season in two days, which was kinda exhausting, it would have probably been better to watch it one episode at a time. I do agree with point 1 and 2 though.
Flag
Only shows I remember binge-watching are Merlin, Fringe, Suits, Scandal, House of Cards, Orange Is the New Black. Hemlock Grove, Awkward, Harper's Island, Persons Unknown, The Gates, Rectify and Chosen.
Flag
It all comes down to personal interest and time availabilaty. I've done it with Homeland, AHS, Criminal Minds, Due South, Royal Pains, Firefly, all on DVD and all multi-season. Sometimes all more or less continuous, sometimes paced over days. I've also done it with movie DVD sets, namely Star Trek movies, Alien, Bond, James Bond, LOTR, original Planet of the Apes, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Lethal Weapon and Rocky.
Flag
I'm a strange case because while I binge-watch a lot, I'm also a fan of watching shows I enjoy slowly so that they last longer. So I don't usually watch a season a week or anything like that. But Game of Thrones was one of the few shows which I did, because it was addicting as hell and as soon as one episode was over I had to watch the next, even though an hour an episode is a commitment. Friends is another show like that. I've watched like 8/9 episodes in a row in the case of Friends. I think sitcoms are easier to binge-watch because you lie to yourself and say "Hey! It's only 20 minutes". The next thing you know it's evening and you've finished an entire season of Modern Family. Breaking Bad is great for binge-watching but I also agree that it's one of the shows that gets better the more you think about it, but I totally watched like five episodes a day of Breaking Bad by the time I had reached the last season so it's kind of in the middle. Merlin is another good binge-watching show if you have free time. You don't have to think a lot, but it's strangely addicting.
More+
Flag
What shows did I binge on easy Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, JAG, NCIS, NCIS:LA, Almost human ( I know only one season but well worth watching again) and Game of Thrones what I could not stomach was The Big Bang Theory, The Office, Community, Modern Family, The IT Crowd, The Simpsons, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Arrested Development, Veep, Silicon Valley, Awkward., How I Met Your Mother oh any reality or singing shows (vomit)
Flag
Oh I do also like Arrow Hawaii 5-O Person of Interest ah you get the point :)
Flag
I'm surprised that the Blacklist isn't on this list. I watched the first season in a little over two days. Excellent show for binging on.
Flag
Sitcoms, serialised or otherwise, are perfect for binge-watching, because like you said Tim, 'the quick pacing and short runtime practically beg you to watch just one more.' I have classic sitcoms like Friends, Scrubs, That 70's Show, Will & Grace etc. all on DVD and it's a lot more difficult to watch a single episode on them than it is just to put on a disk and watch four or more episodes.

Similarly, sitcoms (and animations) are primarily the genre of series that tend to pile up on my DVR, as there is really one that constitutes 'must watch television' on a weekly basis. So more often than not I find myself consciously letting episodes of Awkward, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Family Guy, How I Met Your Mother (while it was on), New Girl, The Simpsons and the like in order to binge watch three or more episodes at a later date.
Flag
Have just finished binge re-watching Eureka, WH13 and Coupling (uk version) - all perfect for the binge.
Most comedy series are pretty good too.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members