An Orphan Black Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on BBC America (Returning 2017)

Orphan Black S02E02: "Governed by Sound Reason and True Religion"

Not only is Orphan Black one of the most creative television series in recent memory, it's also one of the most fluid in terms of genre. It's grounded in science-fiction, and it's definitely a mystery drama, but it can also make you laugh so hard you briefly forget about the dire situations that Sarah and the clones often stumble into. If Fox's Sleepy Hollow can mash up period drama, supernatural elements, and the buddy cop genre, it only makes sense that Orphan Black's own special blend of genres should be equally successful. The preliminary ratings for last week's Season 2 premiere were not great, but the series no longer has Doctor Who as a lead-in. It also aired on a Saturday over Easter weekend, which is why it's not particularly surprising that the episode is now breaking DVR records as everyone who recorded it catches up. Orphan Black obviously isn't as popular as Sleepy Hollow—it's on BBC America and not a regular broadcast network or major cable network, after all—but it's still nice to know that people are watching it.

This week's episode, "Governed by Sound Reason and True Religion," was just as exciting as last week's premiere, though it did pump the brakes a bit in terms of action so it could explore several characters' personal relationships. Thankfully, the hour wasted no time in answering the question of what had happened to Kira, giving us the best possible outcome for that particular storyline. Discovering that Mrs. S had trashed the house and taken Kira away to keep her safe was actually far more interesting than if we'd had to watch an extended arc of Sarah hunting down the Prolethians to rescue her. 

This is something Orphan Black does often, and that it does well. Many shows drag out their "suspenseful" storylines thinking it heightens the drama, but that approach can easily cause a series to stall. Orphan Black has struck a perfect balance between longterm mysteries (i.e. the clones) and short-term ones (i.e. Kira's disappearance). The show often introduces a problem in one episode and addresses it in the next. It keeps the series feeling fresh and exciting.

Most importantly, though, this development adds another layer to the ongoing mystery to Mrs. S. Last week, I was ready to dropkick her, tie her to a chair, and interrogate her, but after seeing her protect Kira and Sarah when her "friends" were going to hand them over to the religious fanatics, I just wanted to hug her and pour her a cup of tea. When Sarah asked Mrs. S which side she was on—a fair question, give that Sarah'd just been stuffed into a trunk by a strange man and taken to the middle of nowhere—Mrs. S said, "Yours, love. It's always been yours." 

Knowing that Mrs. S is an ally—and an ally who's skilled at using a shotgun, at that—is reassuring, but there's still the matter of her connection to Project LEDA and the question of why she's so protective of both Sarah and Kira. No one on Orphan Black is exactly who they appear to be. There are good and bad sides to every person—everyone has a blemish on their records—and you don't always know whether or not someone's trustworthy. We know that Sarah is capable of doing good, but we also know she's a skilled con artist. Alison hides behind a facade of suburban domesticity and perfection, but she also let Aynsley die, and oh yeah, she has a guy who sells her drugs and handguns. Art appears to be fighting on Sarah's side, but he's also a cop and Beth's former partner. Is he really helping Sarah, or does he just want to know the truth? 

This theme extends to Mrs. S as well. She's possibly even more mysterious than the folks at Dyad who gave Cosima her own lab this week. When Mrs. S took Sarah in as a child, did she do so as a way to atone for sins she committed through her involvement in the cloning experiment? I'm certain she genuinely cares about Sarah's wellbeing, but why? What does it matter to her? Who is Sarah to Mrs S? She's willing to blow a woman to bits with a shotgun in order to protect Sarah, yet she also stepped aside to let Sarah leave with Kira, knowing full well that Sarah doesn't trust her any longer. It seems to me that while Sarah should be apprehensive about Mrs. S, she also feels like a good person to have on your side. There are still so many unanswered questions and it's not clear who Mrs. S even is; maybe, instead of leaving Mrs. S and taking off with Kira and Felix, Sarah should have asked for some answers.

But even more confusing than Mrs. S are the men from last week, the Prolethians. As it turns out, they're not exactly from the same group as Tomas and Helena. They believe—as Albert Einstein once said—that "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." As if we needed another group of people to emerge from this mess, here come these bozos, who are now Helena's "keepers" as she recovers. I won't say I'm really going to miss Tomas, but I'm not sure these guys are all that much better than a self-flagellator. Or course, I don't see them locking Helena in a cage, so that's at least something. And speaking of our favorite crazy person—she's a mirror image of Sarah. Literally. Her internal organs are all reversed and her heart is on the right side, which is how she survived the gunshot wound to the chest. We all understand that this genetic anomaly is also a metaphor for how she's the yin to Sarah's yang, so I won't waste too much time on it, but it's certainly interesting, and I'm certain that Orphan Black will continue to explore her status as Sarah's mirror throughout the season.

Cosima didn't have much going on this week outside of setting up her lab at Dyad and being tasked with studying Sarah's biological profile to find out why Sarah is different from the rest of the clones. Cosima assumed that Rachel wanted to know why Sarah could procreate when no one else could, but judging from the look on Rachel's face, it's more than that. Sarah's special, Kira's special, and Helena's also special. What is it about their particular creation that made them so damn special? And what happened during the cloning procedure that led to some of the clones coming down with the sickness? 

Alison, meanwhile, teamed up with Felix and confirmed that Donnie was her monitor all along, which is when she crumpled under her guilt and began drinking again. "Do you have any ideas, or do you just want to keep drinking?" Fe asked her, and naturally she chose to keep drinking. God bless Felix, because without his presence, Orphan Black would risk losing itself in the action and mystery of the clones. His comedic relief and penchant for painting in the nude is a beacon of light and hope (that's two weeks in a row that Jordan Gavaris's naked ass has made it to screen, if we make it to three I'm going to start questioning what's going on over at BBC America). It doesn't matter what's happening in a scene, Gavaris immediately makes it his b*tch, and in the best way. 

Take, for instance, the scene in which he tried to explain to Alison that it wasn't technically Alison's fault Aynsley died, that Aynsley was responsible for her own death. "Aynsley wore a scarf in the kitchen," he said in a way that also felt like he was judging her fashion sense and decision-making with regard to when and where it's appropriate to don that particular type of neckwear. But if anyone would know about such thing, it's probably Felix. Considering how much Sarah and Alison have come to rely on him, though, I have to wonder how long it will be until he gets fed up with the clone bullsh*t and leaves, or how long until his association with the clones puts him in harm's way. I can handle a lot, but Felix in danger is something I simply won't accept.

"Governed by Sound Reason and True Religion" quickly answered the question of what happened to Kira (who also doesn't completely trust Mrs. S at this point), and thankfully it didn't make us spend too long wondering when Alison would discover the truth about Donnie, but it also set up even more questions to be answered down the road. Sarah's not responsible for the situation she's found herself in, but it's her reality, and running away with Felix and Kira isn't going to change that. There's no escaping, but it's cute that she's going to try! 

CONSPIRACY THEORIES

– Cosima looked proud when she discovered that Sarah had stolen Dr. Leekie's ID card in the premiere. And then she quickly tried to cover it up. I'm ready for Cosima to get to the actual science-ing portion of this whole storyline, though. We need some answers. I can't keep living my life wondering if Cosima's going to die soon, or why Sarah's special.

– I understand why Donnie is Alison's monitor, and last season his presence as her monitor felt ominous. But now he feels like a clueless pawn who's way, way out of his league. Paul made sense as a monitor, and at least he feels like a competent human being. And Delphine obviously made sense, too. But Donnie, man. The Powers That Be clearly keep him at arm's length, and only deliver instructions like, "Call if she mentions the name Sarah!" Guys, if I were Donnie, I'd be like, "Wait, this sounds really stupid. Why am I doing this again?"

– Art told Angie to drop the case after she showed him a picture of Helena. I want to trust Art, but I just can't. Not yet.

– Aynsley called book club "full-contact reading." 

– Sarah to Felix: "I need you to keep telling me we can make it."

– Delphine to Cosima: "I want to make crazy science with you." 

– Felix: "I can't believe you let a cop in to Clone Club." 

What'd you think of "Governed by Sound Reason and True Religion"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/16/2016

Season 4 : Episode 10

190 Comments
Comments (190)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
ALLISON IN THE WILD CARD!!!! IF SHE LOOSES IT SHE'LL TAKE OUT QUITE A FEW OF HER ENEMIES WITH HER. SHE'S A LOOSE CANNON.

Flag
LOVE HELENA'S CHARACTER SHE WANT'S TO BELONG AND TO BELIEVE!!!!! She loves Sara and Kera she wants to have family. She make the show really scary and very interesting. Would love to see Sara embrace her as a twin. Helena can be very deadly and Sara needs a protector now.
Flag
book club is most definitely "full-contact reading." I've been known to break a sweat on occasion during a session.
Flag
No mention of Alison downing pills with alcohol? I'm worried about her.
Flag
Did anyone else's heart just break for Allison at the end? Come back, Felix :( COME BACK!!!
Flag
I think we should have an option to give Thumbs Up to all posts because really every post in here is awesome!
Flag
I loved it when Sarah asked Mrs. S which side she was on, and the answer was "yours, love. It's always been yours." People can want the best for someone and those same intentions can backfire spectacularly. Sort of like how Sarah running with Kira could be a mistake borne from love. These shades of gray and questions add yet more layers to a show already nuanced and deep. Sigh.

Poor, crazy Helena. Poor equally-but-differently crazy Alison. I'm still amazed about how all of the characters are real and flawed--every few characters in the entire show feel stereotypical or flat. (Maybe just Donnie but this past episode showed more about him than the entirety of season one.)
Flag
  • I won't miss that self-flagellating Tomas fool but the scientist farmer is clearly a more formidable foe... And he is going to try to get Helena to pro-create which in itself is creepy...
  • I wonder who is the original source of the DNA since Rachel is so certain it is not the source of the health issues with the clones...
  • Mrs. S seems to have been part of some liberation / armed group that back in the day tried to sabotage experimentation on humans inc. clones back in the UK? Along the way the group's politics / interest may have made her suspicious so she run with Sarah & Felix?
Flag
What I believe is that clones are not complete copies but when original(s) were cloned there were some changes done to see how it works and what happens. Hence some are sick, Cosima is gay, Sarah can have children.
Flag
I don't know,who came up with that musical idea,but give him/her a raise Orphan Black :D
Flag
You know what's funny, I read somewhere that is actual real local musical and that some of the cast from the musical makes up the community theater group. Can you even imagine sitting through that whole production?
Flag
And by the way, who knows the title of the ringtone on Fee's phone. I know the writers are 90s kids and I am too and that song was very familiar. I humbly ask for the title of the song...
Flag
Did anyone notice how Siobhan's handler said why she brought these "children"? I insist that Sarah and Felix are real siblings and that Felix also has clones. And Siobhan is Sarah's watcher who grabbed her long before Dyad could discover what she truly is as well as Felix.
Flag
Yeah I think they'll throw some Felix clones,when you least expect it. Now the "main" thing is,that Sarah has clones,so it's just a matter of time,when another person shows up with clones and I think most people,myself included would love to see another version of Felix.
Flag
Staff
I'm not sure the show can handle any other Felixes. He's so good that introducing Felix clones might tarnish how truly fabulous he is. And I'm not sure the show should introduce non-Tatiana Maslany clones, just because it would make the world too large and take away from the clone storylines we already have. Plus, these gals are considered to be very special, so it would probably take away from that aspect as well.
Flag
Then why oh why doesn't Fe have his own arc?
Flag
... or even a spin-off series, set to start just after Orphan Black ends (may that day be far off) ?
Flag
I know,but I have this feeling,that they'll introduce someone else with clones...or something like they kill Felix and then clone him...doesn't mean it'll happen in 2nd season,but somewhere down the line,I see them doing that someone else also has a clone.
Flag
Since I can't EDIT my post,gonna continue what I forgot. Tatiana is amazing yes,but how many more clones can they do with her,before it gets boring? They couldn't even let Helena be dead and she pretty much played anything and everything with...what is it..6 clones I think.
Flag
I was thinking too about how Siobhan answered in the plural, "They're Project LEDA." Brenda might have been asking about Sarah and Kira.
Flag
I just watched the episode again and wrote down some names:

Religious farmer older guy (Mr MIT, new Prolethian guy) - Hendrik
Religious farmer younger guy, "like a son" to Hendrik - Mark
Religious farmer girl - Gracie (who Mark seems to fancy)

Rachel's lawyer/PI/thug - Daniel

Weird motel guy/airlock - Benjamin/Ben

Birdwatcher woman - Brenda
Birdwatcher son - Barry

Musical director - Alexander

i'm a bit confused about all the religious people. Helena had the fish knife and Mark wore the fish belt, but Tomas (who brought up Helena since she was 12) didn't seem to have a lot in common, ideologically, with the religious farmers.

Flag
Tomas was just supposed to be old school version of the same religion or theological outlook more like. Like those parents who refuse to let their children have any medical treatment beyond care and comfort because it must be God's will. I think the newer group follow...okay, this is random, I went to St. Anselm's College for undergrad and Anselm's big thing was seeking "faith through understanding" meaning that through learning, experimentation and advancement in knowledge was not anti God but was a way to better understand God and meaning and to understand that there are greater mysteries.
Flag
Just going with the whole mirror analogy, maybe DYAD and LEDA are the mirror image of the Tomas Prolethians and the farmer Prolethians. DYAD might be the more extreme version of LEDA.
Flag
Yeah probably the difference from idealistic college students who want to cure things or have a utopian idea that grew into wanting to play god and corporate.
Flag
Where's RAMON?!!!! I missed him ;(
Flag
If you look up OB on IMDB, and look at Ramon's character, it will tell you how many episodes he appears in (if you want to know).
You might also notice that other characters don't have the full complement of Season 2 episodes. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Flag
ok, so after reading most of the comments here, to sum up:
-mrs. is somehow related to sarah/the original clone; many ppl think that she either donated the egg or had a daughter she let be cloned. i believe she will turn out to be a good guy
-most ppl agree that the religious freaks will try and impregnate helena
-we are all looking forward to allison's musical
-most of us don't really care about art (at the moment, we'll see)
+ i believe/hope there will be a big reveal about rachel :)
Flag
I was rolling my eyes at the whole "Helena surviving yet again" thing (especially as I'm not nearly as enamored with her as most others seem to be), because characters who refuse to stay dead tend to stretch believability for me. So the whole reveal of her being a genetic anomaly and having her organs reversed certainly helped placate me. At least a little bit. Plus there is a cause for celebration with Tomas being dead for good. Not that the pastor and his flock are necessarily that much better, but they seem both smarter and not as religiously fanatical.

So far it's just layers upon layers upon layers, as the show adds new players to the mix. Not that I'm going to complain as long as it stays this engaging and continues to flesh out all the various motives.

Siobhan really does seem to have a plethora of buried secrets (and she sure can handle herself!)... Yet her desire to protect Kira looks to be a genuine one. I couldn't exactly argue with the fact that Sarah does not a great human being make, and may not be the best thing for her own daughter right now. She loves the little monkey, no doubt. It's just that it takes more than that.

I feel sorry for poor Alison. Felix bailing on her like that, to boot... But if she snaps, that is going to be some wacky fest.
I must not be a musical kind of person, since the sing-along scenes make me cringe. Then the director makes me cringe a lot more.

Donnie absolutely sucks as a monitor if he is capable of being this sloppy. Who on earth recruited him for the job in the first place?! So far his character calls for my suspension of disbelief the most.
More+
Flag
ooooh, this one was really good. i have to admit i love the rachel character - that since with cosima, whoa! plus, i think there more to here because she seems older than the other clones? (could that even be possible if sarah is the original?) i'm rooting for mrs. s i.e. i hope she turns out to be one of the good guys. but the best thing about this whole ep was that we got to learn more about the villains - they are more complex than just religious fanatics, since i got the feeling they are into cloning/insemination too? :D LOVED IT!! :D
Flag
Btw, I loved the mirror organs explanation of twins. My grandfather had been shot during WWI and his heart jumped below his right armpit from the shock of being hit. My grandmother being a physician very often let me hear his heart beat there, very amazing.

Flag
Wow, amazing episode as ever. What I really love is that instead of tying loose ends, the series is creating more complications. I mean we were introduced to yet another major player, if that was even possible to foresee: a Christian with scientific background who also resorts to murder as a means. Honestly, is this genius or what? And not only that, but he doesn't have one of the Team Sarah clones, but Helena, the sole Prome to play around with. We can already see " Farmer John " switch her and make her part of his flock, and then send her into the world. O, the lovely havoc and sheer chaos to come.
I felt sorriest for Siobhan,this episode. Seeing the van pass her by and Sarah would not stop and pick her up, it was just wrong. This is what I like the less about Sarah, she has no real gratitude or loyalties. I do understand that there was perhaps no time and that they both understood Siobhan had to remain behind to cover their escape, but still, a gesture of love on Sarah's part would have been great. I know someone, hem hem, who will be glad Siobhan was ex-IRA, those mean, keen, motherF$%ers. Now, we know where Sarah got her shine from.
Alison, my poor Alison: now she knows that hubby is her monitor and boy, if she tortured the living crap out of him last season, what is she going to do to him now. Or how Pink Floyd puts it:

Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run,
Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run.
You better make your face up in
Your favorite disguise.
With your button down lips and your
Roller blind eyes.
With your empty smile
And your hungry heart.
Feel the bile rising from your guilty past.
With your nerves in tatters
When the cockleshell shatters
And the hammers batter
Down the door.
You'd better run.

Then it's Cosima, sweet Cosima, "the real Cosima, not the one who kicked your ass, whatever", this to Rachel, who so needs to be kicked in the ass. I was thinking like fisting kick ass, but we don't want to go back to that, do we? Well, she has her lab now and will be getting into the serious science stuff and into her girlfriend, so she is just fine for now.
Again Rachel to Cosima: "So, you're gay". So funny.
And we see Felix's ass, being sassier with his black model, after talking to his favorite Clone on the phone.
Okay, that's it for now, but I'll be back to Orphan Black after I hit the sack on my back.
More+
Flag
Poor Alison: I'm looking so forward to the confrontation with her "husband". It's gonna be awesome. For us, not for him. And she will manage, whatever he becomes - but i doubt she kills him. He shouldn't go near garbage disposals anytime soon though...
And yes, this whole show has witty dialogue in abundance.
Flag
I hope she kills him, just to see how she does it.
Flag
what? you have a sack on your back?? does that have anything to do with tea and/or bags? ;-P
Flag
From all that great comment , all you get is a stupid remark on my going to sleep? I am very disappointed with you, little lady. Tssk, tssk, tssk.
Flag
regarding the "brilliant" comment~I was being polite since if someone doesn't have something nice to say then don't say it…LOL, j/k
Great comment but I didn't have anything to add to it--great as it is.
One flaw with the episode was Donnie suddenly being such an idiot. He did a better job as a monitor last season so for him to be so horrible at it seemed at bit extreme but it was still funny to watch.
Flag
Him being at a cemetery gave me goosebumps as to what will happen to him. I wouldn't be half surprised if he ended up playing the "corpse" in her play. I think his acting is just gifted enough for that role.
Flag
instead of "little lady" you should of said "dirty girl". I'm going to pretend you were clever and said that;-P That way I can say: what you really mean is:
"Ooh, I need a dirty woman, ooh, I need a dirty girl."
Flag
@klotensen
Kerkesh deserves the noogie! I was just playing and didn't realize I was supposed to be serious! All the serious stuff has been said and @kerkesh certainly doesn't need a bigger head then he has;-P
Flag
@Kerkesh:
Noogie: the act of rubbing one's knuckles on a person's head so as to produce a mildly painful sensation;
Flag
@ klotensen: I am always for Noogies, if I knew what they are? also, nothing on my brilliant comment? why do i even bother ? :-)
Flag
*hardly managing a serious face*
Both of you earned some Indian sunburns. Anything else?
Noogies, maybe?

Flag
We're still on that subject, really? ;-)
Okay, "dirty girl", what are you going to say to the rest of my very smart comment? did Helena got your tongue?
Flag
sack=bed, lying on my back in my bed, silly. Just said it to make a rhyme, silly again.
Flag
Oh this show it is such a joy to watch.
Felix man that guy is so amazing and handles so masterfully every scene
Allison poor woman I love her but man she really needs to buck up
Mrs S., wow she is tough and she looked so devastated when she found about her "friends" and Sarah leaving with Kira.
So Helena is a mirror and blah... I care about weird Amish wannabes trying to get her preggers!
Art mmm he could be good, bad or just stupid
Flag
This is seriously one of the best shows ever.
Flag
Amazing episode! Hope that Mrs. S doesn't turn out to be bad and really hope I don't have to see Felix in that apron or Teddy again!!
Flag
I wonder if this season the writers are planning to separate the clones, and have them each with a seperate storyline. That way, the show could focus on each of the characters as well as the overall story, and I bet it's easier for Ms. Maslany that way.
Flag
it's also an excellent way to lower special effects costs...
Flag
This episode was just as good as the premiere and I am now fully confident Orphan Black season two will be as good as the first!

This show should be as popular as The Walking Dead. It's fast, fun and its about clones.

I have always lambasted The Black list for making me wait 16 episodes before confirming Tom is not who he seems (still not sure if he is "bad") and still keep me waiting about Red and Liz relationship.

Orphan black give us answers and then produce new questions. That is the right and brilliant way to write a drama show.

I liked Mrs S. I am glad they reveal that she really cared about Sarah and Kira. Any other answer would made no sense considering she raised Sarah and took care of Kira for quite a while. I liked her even more now that I know she can kick ass. So it seems she does belong to a third group, I would like to know who are these people.

The Prolethians are smart. Instead of trying to kidnap Kira, they are going to get Helena to produce more "Kiras". This is smart writing ! Way better than watching them trying to kidnap Kira. That kind of story line had been done to death. They looked very dangerous too which is great to watch.

No way Sarah, Kira and Felix would be able to leave the country though or we will have no show to watch.

Delphine to Cosima: "I want to make crazy science with you."

That is probably one of most sexy phase I have heard on TV for a long time:-)
More+
Flag
How can a show this good not be #1 with a bullet anywhere a tv exists??!!

OMG, I cannot believe what a badass Mrs S. is! I could so see her as former IRA, who turned her "talents" to keeping Sarah out of the Prolethians' and Dyad's grimy clutches. I'm of the belief that she's the mother of the true proclone, a child who died from an illness similar to Cosima's, who Siobhan just wanted to bring back without any illness. I mean who could find fault with a mother just wanting her child to be healthy. And with modern genetics discovering the alleles, proteins and genetic sequences that cause many disorders and congenital conditions, it makes sense that a geneticist would want to make sure a child of hers would never die of a congenital defect again. Mrs S always seems to have Sarah's best interests at heart. After all, she took care of Kiera for years while Sarah was off and away messing around with Vic and drug dealing.

I feel so sorry for Allison, she's beginning to come apart at the seams. And now even Felix has deserted her, even though it was for a very good reason. But I'm so glad she found out about Donnie; dragging that plot point out would've gotten old fast. Donnie will be lucky to come out of this scenario with his #&!$ attached. Allison may be the funniest gun-toting alcoholic suburban housewife ever, but she's dangerous when provoked.

Where in the #3!! is Sarah going??! Does she even have a plan or even a destination in mind? At least Felix is with her.

Of all the crazies for Helena to end up with, those freaky Prolethians have got to be the worst. I hope they don't do what we are thinking that they'll do. That's just...yuck!! Helena needs to get her crazy on and get the frack out of Dodge!

Cosima and Delphine, I'm not sure what to say except, "you go girls".
More+
Flag
I think Mrs. S may knw the original person the clones where made from. I belive thats the reason she is protecting Sarah
Flag
What if both professors on the picture were Sarah's and Helena's bio parents?
Flag
that was excatly my thought while watching last scenes from this episode!
Flag
I loved Cosima's reaction to her needy girlfriend:

Flag
Is "needy" the right term? I would have said " OMG, I am going to f%ck the hell out of that girl" reaction.
Flag
OK, who's the guy with the beard? Is that Paul gone incognito? Anyone?
Flag
I believe the bearded guy is actor Michiel Huisman. He is one of 3 new cast additions this season. The other two additions have already been introduced ---Peter Outerbridge(Henrik) and Ari Millen(Mark).
Flag
I would watch Allison's musical. Someone should make that happen as a web-thingy-spin-off-bonus-track.
LOL
Flag
It is an actual musical and some of the actors are the original cast.

Flag
I GOTTA see this! It's like a Coen brothers musical.
Flag
Cool! (and: Servalan! :)
...though I was sort of hoping we were seeing some twisted musical version of Dyad: The Basement Years, wondering if a longer version had been filmed and made available only as a special feature on the BD. Still, very congrats to BloodTies for getting this exposure, &c.
Flag
Anyone else think Mrs. S was a Provo?
Flag
"Art told Angie to drop the case after she showed him a picture of Helena. I want to trust Art, but I just can't. Not yet."

I assumed he said that to protect her now that he knows how dangerous the situation is. Also, Angie appears to be a bit of a loose cannon ... and a dog with a bone when it comes to Sarah.
Flag
I agree with Angie, but oddly, I have a feeling she might prove to be the most useful ally in the whole thing. She kind of seems like she is actually a competent detective.
Flag
My thought as well. She seems fearless and laser focused, if a bit prickly. Would make a great clone bodyguard ... but also a formidable enemy.
Flag
I feel a lot better about Mrs S now. I know they haven't told us everything about her, but I feel pretty confident that she wants Sarah and Kira to be safe.

I am worried about Alison :( I hope they don't keep her and Felix apart too long. They are great together.
Flag
I also feel a lot better about Mrs. S. I mean, I think she likely has made as many mistakes as she says Sarah keeps making (but can't help but say in my head, probably because she is actually...nevermind). I have a feeling part of her issue probably is that she has been out of the game for so long that she doesn't fully grasp the players anymore. I hope she can find that Julien guy who she told Sarah brought Sarah to her in the first place. She needs an ally who doesn't have quite the stake in it that Sarah does.

I do sort of wonder what happened before Sarah disappeared. Mrs. S keeps making comments of how she protects Kira (not really, Helena managed to kidnap her when she was under her watch) and yeah, Sarah abandoned the whole family for ten months, but Kira is like six or seven (right?) so what happened before that?
Flag
One has to wonder how Donnie ever stood up to the glue gun torture.

Flag
The glue gun torture was brilliant. So Allison.
Flag
I know...I mean what I find interesting, is the other clones had people come into their lives as monitors and there is no real mention of who monitored them before that, but Donnie and Alison have been dating since high school (and I got the impression they knew each other longer than that) so I just imagine Dyad looked at her life and realized they needed to make someone into a monitor. But that kind of makes me dislike Donnie more.
Flag
Yes, it looks like the Donnie thing is the one weakness in the storyline. He successfuly was a monitor for years. He stood up to the torture, he was able to observe her stealthyly for all this time. And then he makes a stupid mistake like at the semetary. But maybe it was just Alison being bissfully ignorat of the whole thing before.
Flag
Agreed, though he was shown as a major bumbler this time...he was pretty quick on his feet making up an excuse, though, give him that much credit.
Flag
She really didn't even know she had a monitor until mid season one. So, it makes sense she didn't come to the realization years earlier.
Flag
Now we must heed the call
Cleaning the brains off the wall ..

LOL

Flag
Allison: Even my own clones think I'm useless.
Felix: Oh! No! Darling, no, you have a musical to focus on.

Poor Allison. Way out of her depth.

Flag
And the musical about someone being hacked and she in the lead role. Hilarious.
Flag
Things learned this week:
Felix/Allison officially my favorite relationship dynamic
Art without Angie and with Sarah is much better
Mrs. S and her shotgun are indeed about that life
I had no idea Donny was that stupid lol hope Allison mentally screws with him
If we're going down the Helena preggerz storyline I'll scream (with joy/terror)

I hope we get more Rachel next week! She's grown on me rather quickly. It'll be interesting to see where Sarah's family road trip goes! Angie said she's a new neighbor when talking to Allison, so did she move into Aynsley's old place? Another awesome episode!
Flag
It's hard to believe it, but this show keeps getting better. What perfect pacing! The hour flies by and leaves one wanting more. The Felix/Allison relationship is played to perfection and the Art/Sarah relationship is showing promise...

Felix: I can't believe you let a cop into clone club.
Art: Yeah? Well I'm over it.

I could quibble about Cosima/Delphine and Cosima's apparent willingness to bare it all (ahem) to her monitor, but it's a minor quibble based more on my lack of enthusiasm for the actress than for the character of Delphine.

The addition of Peter Outerbridge to the cast as head of the "rural" prolethians continues Orphan's penchant for tapping the best of Canadian acting talent. Although lesser know names (with the exception of the inimitable Matt Frewer) the cast is uniformly excellent.

Trivia: Peter Outerbridge starred in his own genetics based drama, Regenesis, in which a young Ellen Paige sparkled as his rebellious daughter.

I am so happy to see the endearingly dangerous psychotic Helena thrown back into the mix. Bringing her back to life (though, technically never dead) could have been miswritten --- deus ex machina -- but the way it was done was simply surprising, not WTF.

Can't wait for the next ...

More+
Flag
Just to be clear: Are you saying Matt Fewer is not uniformly excellent? I know you don't. You can't. Matt has always been the best and more lovable actor wherever he plays.
Flag
No! No! Lesser know names -- with the exception of Matt Frewer whom many or most will recognize. Max Headroom, Eureka, Falling Skies, Dumb & Dumber, Dawn of the Dead, etc., etc., etc.. The man has a resume as long as he is tall.
Flag
I was kidding, But thank you for clarifying, :-)
Flag
"what you wanna do is breathe from the sacrum"
OMG Allison is just lool. now that Felix is gone I am worried abt her

is Helene going to have a baby?
Flag
To quote Hank from the last episode of Grimm -- "That's not a woman you want to have a baby with."
Flag
"Ooo, that's my sacrum!"

Flag
Holy shit Mrs.S I knew she wasn't all on the up n up but she's bad ass. Another fantastic episode, this show just keeps keying better better. I'm really hoping that cowboy person doesn't rape Helena because well just no no no no. I can't wait for next week a road trip with Sara and Felix just sounds like fun, that will most likely go so horribly wrong but still fun.
Flag
Kaitlin, what a fantastic review with some smart observations, and I really loved the episode.

i made a couple of observations while I was cooking dinner, which I want to write down before I get distracted by the comments.

1. We know all the characters' names, even many of the minor ones, and I think the show achieved this early on. Not overtly, either. I hate shows where you don't know anyone's name, and you have to resort to assigning the characters nicknames, or calling them something like 'the guy with the sideburns'.

2. We care about not just one, or a handful, but most of the characters.
Flag
About Mr.S so she is part of Project Lyda which originally started the clones. And she took in Sarah as one of the clones to protect/raise her. Why did she take in Felix then? Is there also a male clone project & Felix is one of the clones?

If Rachel is having Cosima test why Sarah can have children when they can't then she doesn't think/know that Sarah is the original (like Sarah thinks she is the original)

Agree with all notes about Felix also laughed so hard at the end when he told Alison that she had the musical to focus on haha

Flag
Hell yeah Felix clones!!! Bring it!
Please make my dream come true!
Flag
While I'm watching I forget its the same actress doing all those characters, she plays them so vastly different it really feels like they are different people. Like shes being a badass at one point then singing a musical in the next scene. Loving this show
Flag
great episode! i just love orphan black, Alison's the best, everytime they show her doing that play I'm cracking up;)
my theory regarding mrs s:
maybe mrs s had a daughter that died from some sickness (the same one that cosima now has?) and decided to clone her, so she is really the clones biological mom... that would explain her involvment with project Leda and her attachment to sarah and kira
Flag
That is a good theory that the show can used even if they have not decided to.
Flag
That's what I've started to believe. Siobhan and Sarah do look very similar to each other, I could see them as mother and daughter.
Flag
Honestly, now that Kiras back in action I think the entire clone club should just take direction from her. That girl knows what's up.
P.S all the hair in this episode was just A++, from Alisons breakfast at Tiffany's funeral bun to Sarah's refreshingly realistic matted mess.
Flag
Alison was so Audrey Hepburn, nice, except that at a funeral you aren't supposed to be all 'look at me'.

!! At first I thought the religious woman was another clone. Another Maslany face - no makeup, hair-pulled-back clone. I was disappointed.
Flag
That would have been excellent! Now I'm disappointed. But speaking of the religious weirdos, I thought Tomas was bad but these fools are creepy as hell. Breeding Helena?? Literally no good can come of this
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Awesome stuff, as always. I don't even feel like I need to address anything (with other shows my comments are usually at least half a page long) because Orphan Black is giving me a satisfying episode every week. I like the questions as much as I like the answers. And this show delivers more then enough material to keep me busy speculating but also really satisfied until the next episode. Well done show, well done.
Flag
Great episode, but I think I'm more excited for the next one. I'm ready to see Cosima make some progress on learning more about the clones and her illness.
Flag
I'm starting to think this show is bad-episode-proof. Even Siobhan is awesome now. She gets high marks for creative use of a carving knife and fork.
Flag
grasping at straws but maybe Ms S is the original and that's why she knows about Project Leda, and why she's so attached to Sarah.
Flag
That's my guess as well.

We don't know anything about her medical history but it seems she is doing well. Maybe thats why Rachel as so certain the original was "robust" as she called it. And S. certainly can take care of herself. And if she is the original, Dyad certainly didn't just let her go do what she does now. She must have escaped somehow.

Maybe she and Leeky started this whole project up together and at some point she had a change of heart. Who knows... :)
Flag
So either Rachel is talking about herself when she says 'robust" (we do known she has a big ego) or she & Cosima can't be the original
Flag
There were hints that Rachel is not the original, despite her saying she is. It seems that each clone highlights a part of the original, and she is the "boss lady" business woman of the bunch. She has been educated within the Dyad corporation, so she is a die-hard member of its hierarchy. What would be interesting is if she discovers something in all this new information that Cosima will unearth a reason sufficient enough to want her turn into a member of Team Sarah.
Flag
I love this show. Tatiana Maslany is amazing. I keep having to remind myself that the same actress is playing all these roles, her range is just incredible. Can't wait for the rest of this season and I hope there are many more to come.
Flag
LOVE this show! So far the new season has not disappointed.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members