An Orphan Black Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on BBC America

Orphan Black S02E01: "Nature Under Constraint and Vexed"

When a TV series' freshman season is as successful as Orphan Black's was, there's nearly always a discussion of whether or not the series can maintain the same level of quality, the fear of a sophomore slump. Orphan Black quietly debuted last spring with Doctor Who as a lead-in, but it wasn't until approximately halfway through the season that critics and fans alike started to praise the series' complex central mystery and star Tatiana Maslany's excellent performance(s). And the Season 2 premiere, "Nature Under Constraint and Vexed," made a very good effort to prove Season 1's success was not a fluke. The episode resumed the show's complicated story so seamlessly that it really felt like a continuation of the first season rather than the beginning of another. It also managed to introduce new characters and set the table for new storylines in Season 2 without neglecting any ongoing plots. And it did all of this by coming out swinging (literally) and never letting up on the twisted, exciting action and drama that made the series so addicting in the first place. Everything we love about Orphan Black was present in the premiere. Well, mostly: Paul wasn't shirtless, but we'll deal with that later.

"Nature Under Constraint and Vexed" picked up right where Season 1 left off, with Sarah having recently discovered that Kira and Mrs. S were missing. She assumed they were taken by Rachel and the Dyad Institute as a means of getting her to cooperate—which was probably a reasonable assumption to make, considering Sarah told Rachel she was coming in, and then Cosima discovered that Dyad had patented the clones, and then Sarah told Rachel to suck it. Dyad was the most obvious culprit, which meant Sarah was on the warpath for most of this episode, even going so far as to impersonate Cosima to infiltrate a fancy Dyad event so she could confront/threaten/pistol-whip Rachel. But as it turned out, while Rachel might be a bitch, she wasn't behind Kira's disappearance. Resourceful and clever as she is, she simply saw an opportunity to get to Sarah, and she took it. She's a sneaky one, that Proclone.

Knowing that Dyad doesn't have Kira presents a whole new set of problems for Orphan Black to tackle. For one thing, we should all be giving Mrs. S even more side-eye than we were last season when that Project LEDA photo appeared. Also, if the Neolutionists don't have Kira and Mrs. S, it's likely that they were grabbed by the Prolethians, a.k.a. Helena's religious fanatics. The battle over individuality is right at the heart of the series, but Orphan Black also deals with the idea of science versus religion, and it looks like Season 2 is going to dive even deeper into the religious crazies after spending much of Season 1 introducing us to the scientists. Given that the Prolethians came after Sarah in the opening scene of the premiere, and factoring in that final scene involved a man taking Kira's photograph in what looked like a moderately shady motel room, it seems more likely that they're behind Kira's disappearance. Although, with that said, I don't know that we should count out Mrs. S being deeply involved in this conspiracy. Sarah and Helena's birth mother Amelia was insistent that Mrs. S wasn't who she appeared to be before Helena shanked her in the Season 1 finale, so the possibility that she's Sarah's monitor, or that she was involved in the original cloning experiment, is still on the table. We shouldn't count her out just because there are religious whackjobs after the clones, too.

The premiere spent most of its time focusing on Sarah and her attempt to find Kira, but since Orphan Black isn't just about Sarah, the episode's timeline was a bit confusing. Both Sarah and Cosima's stories seemed to pick up almost immediately following the events of the Season 1 finale, but with Alison's storyline, it felt like only a short amount of time had passed. Alison said she wasn't drinking anymore when Felix showed up at her door at 4am asking to borrow a gun for Sarah, but we saw her boozing away her guilt over letting Aynsley die. According to the rest of the premiere, that was less than 12 hours ago. Are we supposed to believe she's suddenly wrapped up in her community theater musical ("Oh my God. Not Cats?"), making costumes, and attending rehearsals? It's absolutely like Alison to throw herself into a new project now that she's signed her contract and thinks she leaving the clone stuff behind, but my God, that woman works fast.

As for Cosima, she's diving deeper into the clones' biology now that she's facing her own mortality. She and Delphine spent a romantic evening in Felix's bed drawing blood samples while 47 flickering candles watched over them, which I hardly think is pragmatic, but what do I know, I don't even have enough money to buy 47 candles. Cosima still doesn't completely trust Delphine even though she helped her figure out how to decipher the synthetic bit of her genome. And since Delphine turned around and handed over one of Cosima's blood samples to Dr. Leekie after Cosima expressly stated she didn't want the blood samples in the hands of the Dyad Institute, Cosima probably shouldn't trust her. The flip side to that, though, is that Delphine did it because she's invested in Cosima's life and well-being (I'm still not convinced of any romantic feelings) and doesn't want to see her die from whatever disease is plaguing the clones. 

Delphine is eventually going to have to choose a side in this battle between the clones and Dyad. She can't keep straddling the line. If we learned nothing else from Sweet Home Alabama, we should at least remember that it's not possible to ride two horses with one ass. Delphine will have to choose: the science, or the person? It's going to be a tough decision, but I just don't see how she can continue to have it both ways. Plus, it's not as if the Dyad Institute is holding something over Delphine's head the way it is with Hot Paul. She's free to ally herself with whichever side she chooses. And speaking of Hot Paul, he's become Rachel's bitch boy, doing her bidding and chauffeuring guests around. He was the least developed character in Season 1 save for Art, and probably my least favorite character for most of the season, but as his feelings for Sarah grew, and as we saw him attempt to protect her from Dyad, he became one of the more interesting non-clone characters. He's still struggling to protect Sarah, and I assume his presence inside Dyad will become more important as the season goes on, but right now I feel every bit as betrayed by him as Sarah does. If there's any hope for Hot Paul, though, we saw it when he smugly told Daniel that Sarah's smarter than Daniel thinks she is, and again when he let her leave Dyad after confronting Rachel. 

Orphan Black had a lot to prove in "Nature Under Constraint and Vexed." A lot was riding on this premiere, and I think the show was successful in replicating the action and anxiety of Season 1, even while introducing new characters and enemies for the clones. If the episode floundered at all, it was probably in the scenes involving Art and Angie tracking the clones. Now that Sarah is no longer impersonating Beth and her presence at the police station isn't commonplace, those storylines don't mesh as well with the rest of the ongoing plots. In a way, this works in the series' favor, because Art is still on the outside looking in; that's reflected in how his arc doesn't quite line up with the rest of the action. But it also makes it hard to care about whether or not he wants to help Sarah. I do want Art to eventually join Sarah's fight, if only because I'd like to spend more time with him and get to know him as more than just "Beth's former partner." He's so close to this conspiracy, even playing a small role in the Maggie Chen case, so here's hoping he dropkicks Angie (she's the worst) and joins the clones.

CONSPIRACY THEORIES

– By now it should go without saying that Tatiana Maslany's ability to portray several different characters is mind-blowing. But watching Maslany play a clone who's impersonating another clone is even more mesmerizing. Last season we saw Alison pretend to be Sarah and Sarah pretend to be Alison, plus all the Sarah-pretending-to-be-Beth stuff. Now we've seen Sarah pretend to be Cosima, and it's truly spectacular how she manages to bring out both characters in those performances. There are enough subtle nuances that you can tell it's not just Cosima, but rather Sarah impersonating Cosima, which means that in this episode alone, Maslany portrayed six different characters, basically. Mind. Blown.

– Helena's alive! I couldn't find a way to work this in above, and I suspect the reveal will become a bigger storyline next week, so I'm comfortable leaving it here in the notes for now, but OMG HELENA IS ALIVE! We all thought she was dead, but there she was, strolling into the hospital and telling the nurses her sister shot her. The question of how she survived is sure to have an interesting answer. Do you think it's similar to how Kira wasn't seriously injured after being struck by a car? Helena shares Sarah's DNA, after all. I'm just glad that crazy psycho is still around. I'm going to eat some jello to celebrate.

– Felix continues to be Orphan Black's greatest asset. From his ass-less chaps to his reaction to Alison's hand-delivered gun-in-a-flower-arrangement (complete with homemade card!), he's truly the gift that keeps on giving. 

– Rachel mentioned a Supreme Court case characterizing the legal status of natural versus synthetic DNA, which was obviously a nod to the real Supreme Court case that ruled on the matter of human cloning just days after the finale aired. She also mentioned that Dyad is moving forward with a new round of patents. I don't know how much I truly care about that becoming an ongoing plot. I'd rather see how the clones being patented affects each clone. Sarah already told Rachel, "You don't own us," and Cosima made a big deal about this being her biology and what she does about it being her choice. Those ideas are more interesting than what Dyad is doing.

– If Orphan Black doesn't eventually recreate this scene from The First Wives Club with Sarah, Alison, and Cosima, it'll really be missing out on some truly great stuff.

– Of course Alison has a guy who sells her pills and handguns in the parking lot of Econo-Mart. Of course she does.

– "How's your mother?"

– "I'm not going to apologize for my heart."

– "I was supposed to ask you something ... Oh, can we borrow a gun?"

What'd you think of Orphan Black's Season 2 premiere?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/26/2016

Season 4 : Episode 7

Next Episode

AIRS ON 6/2/2016

Season 4 : Episode 8

218 Comments
Comments (218)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
If i called one of the characters Hot Sarah or something, I'd get accused of sexism and objectifying an actress. Food for thought perhaps?
Flag
Season Two is not good, whereas Season One was - One took a while to get up to steam but it was gripping by the end. This season is just a meandering, pointless mess. I couldn't even be bothered watching the last episode and it's getting near the end - frankly, I don't care anymore what happens. Take it out and shoot it, this series is done.

Flag
How did this get a second season! It has got to be in my top 5 worst shows ever!! Just when I thought the plot couldn't get more ridiculously stupid, it kept doing so. I only continued watching to see how far the stupid would go and a second season is taking it beyond a joke. No way I'm wasting more time on this nonsense!
Flag
One of the best shows ever! , and Tatiana maslany's performance is indeed stellar and mindblowingly good!, man that woman can act!!
Flag
Oh, Felix, you are pure gold! Just give him his own show already!
Flag
Yeah roger that! He's the only interesting thing left anymore, apart from Tatiana's amazing performance(s).
Flag
I thought at first Alison's character was going to be the weakest. But now I really enjoy her and her great comedic timing. Her and Felix together of course just raises the fun.
Flag
I was late to the party and binge watched season 1 of Orphan Black just prior to the season 2 premiere. It took the better part of the season for me to fully embrace story lines, but MUCH less for me to embrace Tatiana Maslany. A great lead actress playing a strong female role (rare these days) with a solid story line...? Yup, I'm in. PLUS, it's Canadian...OPA!

It's really nice to see that season 2 is looking like it hasn't lost a step. Even better is that it looks like we'll be getting more of the Prolethians. We've seen plenty of Dyad's extreme dogma so showing the opposite extreme is nice with our clones balancing in the middle. I'd be lying though if I wasn't concerned about our girls being even further over their head trying to fight off two very powerful organizations.

Speaking of things that concern me...Cosima and Delphine. Oie! Through most of the first season, Cosima was the pragmatic one. The cautious one. And even as she knew in advance that Delphine couldn't be trusted, she acted (IMO) completely out of character and basically blew up either entire underground status. Stupid, necessary to advance the story, but stupid none the less. Fine, lesson learned, now we can move forward. Wait, what?!? Now she's giving Delphine her blood and pinky swearing her to secrecy?!?!? UGH! Though it did allow me for a mental giggle after Cosima said, "I promise both of you guys that I'm not going to get fooled again."

I hoped for Delphine to betray her again and happy to see I didn't have to wait long. While I like the character just fine, the sooner she sacrifices herself for Cosima the better cause I've already had enough.

The other thing causing me concern...super healing. Kira gets smoked by a car and is fine. Helena takes a rebar to the liver and a bullet centre mass and is fine. One of the most endearing things about this show is that unlike many other David and Goliath battles, David is just an ordinary dude. These girls aren't super soldiers or have a vast network of contacts. They're street kids and soccer moms and college students. I'm REALLY not a fan of them having some clone super healing power. Being vulnerable is a big part of their character and is why Helena is the way she is. Making them resistant to all but bullets to the brain and oncoming trains takes some of that away.

That said, those are two secondary plot points to what is looking like Orphan Black's introduction to top teir TV. And leading the way is Tatiana Maslany. Watching Nina Dobrev be Katherine playing her version of Elana is so fun to watch. Maslany takes that trick and turns it up to 11. Seeing Sarah play Cosima or Allison play Sarah is something I will never tire of. SOOOO GOOD!

I'll say it again, Felix is the best sidekick ever...though I'd still like to see him have an arc of his own outside the girls.

"Alison said she wasn't drinking anymore when Felix showed up at her door at 4am asking to borrow a gun for Sarah, but we saw her boozing away her guilt over letting Aynsley die."

I took that as a "starting now" sort of comment and not something that she'd decided and done a little while back. Unless my timeline is off, it's likely a decision she made when her husband said they could put it all behind them and fix their family.

"I do want Art to eventually join Sarah's fight"

Pretty sure he's in the loop after Sarah showed up at his place. They teased that once, I can't see them doing it again. Plus, he kinda has to. These girls don't really stand a chance without some level of police contact and with the Beth cover busted, they're going to need some inside help if they're to stand any chance.

More+
Flag
"I'd still like to see [Felix] have an arc of his own outside the girls."

Me too. The way he sits around outside the circle of girls, watching like a spare thumb, awkwardly saying trite lines, just makes me cringe. He's capable of much more.
Flag
oh just give her an emmy, an oscar, a globe, a grammy - just shower tatiana with all the prizes, she definitely deserves it. nice start of season 2.
Flag
Okay, now that I've had my Orphan Black fix, I'm feeling muuuchh better now. ;p

I loved that this episode started where last season's finale ended, it makes the continuity that much easier to follow. I was devastated watching Sarah frantic over her missing daughter. But I'm far more intrigued about the religious creeps, they looked far more genetically artificial than our favorite clones do. And their creep factor was off the chart. The way they killed the waiter, who was just helping someone who looked pretty wrecked at the time, was so cold. I was so glad that he was able to take one of them with him, even if it was involuntarily.

Felix was just too cool in those chaps, he had me rolling. And the way he just was there for Sarah, especially after she told him about Kira, was absolutely perfect.

Allison, what can I say? But I would like to know where you've hidden your bomb shelter?

Why is Paul so cozy with Rachel?!

And what is Angie's deal? I do NOT trust her, and I'm even thinking that she might be one of the bad guys, maybe one of the religious nuts. Art needs to drop her as a partner, especially since she's already shown quite a bit of hatred towards Sarah.

Helena's alive??!!! Her ability to survive must have something to do with Kira surviving that accident. Which means that Sarah probably has that same ability. This is really going to stir some serious chaos into the whole mix!

OMG, I'm so happy this show is back and as awesome as before!
More+
Flag
I took the opportunity to re-watch the first season about a week ago so it was still fresh in my mind and I'm glad they picked up where they left off with the second season.

Sarah pretending to be Cosima was fantastic. I kept forgetting it was actually the same actress.

So glad that Helena is still alive. I'm guessing that their DNA makes them heal faster or something.
Flag
What I actually really liked about the faking Cosima thing was that really impressive acting choice was that Sarah couldn't do Cosima as well as she can do Alison (and funnier because Cosima's way of talking is a lot more like Tatiana Maslany's actual way of talking)
Flag
hah, exactly, it seemed so forced. Even the body movements.
Flag
Actually, it was explained that Allison and Ainsley were in the theater company rehearing together long enough for Allison to know Ainsley's part backwards and forwards.
Flag
Good point jj.
Flag
Thanks!
Flag
Helena lives. The true Easter miracle. :D
Flag
That was a very good episode! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get back into Orphan Black after that long hiatus, but this episode pretty much drew me back into the clone game with that opening sequence. I love how they just picked things up from last year's finale and avoided the usual TV nonsense of having weeks or months passing by.
The episode did seem a bit overcrowded with old and new plot points but I think things will calm down by next episode. I am relieved to see Allison is still willing to help her clone club even though she signed that contract and is trying to move on with her life.
Flag
My husband watched the last bit with me yesterday... and didn't realize it was the same actress playing everyone. He's never seen Orphan Black.. That's a testament to Maslany's talent..

And I've been watching the show..and I'm still blown away by it. I keep forgetting it's the same actress.

I loved how Alison beat up those guys who were trying to take her! I think the only person who would've heard that whistle though would've been Aynsley. RIP lol..
Flag
Are we supposed to believe she's suddenly wrapped up in her community theater musical ("Oh my God. Not Cats?"), making costumes, and attending rehearsals?

I'm re-watching season 01 as I forgot little details about most of the characters and guess what ?? Allison actually mentions about glendale theatre in eps 04 at 22 min mark. I like how the writers take of these little things in this show.
Flag
re: "I'd rather see how the clones being patented affects each clone."

It won't have any impact at all, in the real world human beings are *not* property, and a gene patent doesn't change that.The mention of the Court case seems to indicate the legal system is meant to be the one from the real world. There is not the slightest chance modern democracies like the US, Canada and the UK will change that in the forseeable future. No credible legal expert anywhere would say there is the slightest chance in anything close to the real world that a patent could mean that people will be property. Those who imply otherwise are seriously uninformed about the very basics of the law or are rabidly paranoid anti-corporate types pushing fears unconnected with reality since they don't care about facing the real world. Since they have now linked the show to being in a world like ours, the writers would come across like complete idiots if they pretend there is a legal property claim at issue, and the show deserves better.
Flag
It's not hard to imagine a biotech corporation spending millions to sue such clones (they're actually GMOs in this TV series) for access to their patents, and then offering a settlement to pay their unaffordable court costs if they agree to a strict schedule of residential procedures. And of course that would include non-disclosure and indemnity clauses so they can't bring charges if there are debilitating or life-threatening side-effects.

Facts aren't "paranoid", and we've seen corporations influence and even draft legislation against the rights of people (like making it illegal for states to pass laws requiring GMO labeling for food), and even getting the courts to declare them constitutionally-protected persons to extend their political influence.
Flag
re: "facts aren't 'paranoid' "

It is a fact that slavery and the ownership of humans is outlawed in modern democratic countries. It is a paranoid delusion of anyone to think that there is the remotest chance that that will change anytime soon in anything remotely approaching a world like this real world. A patent on a gene doesn't magically make people property. Anyone who thinks it does has no understanding of the legal issues involved, and unfortunately it is common for people to fear that which they don't understand. Patenting genes is a very straightforward extension of intellectual property law which doesn't set us on the path to ownership of people, no matter what uninformed drivel spreads around the net. It would have be shocking if the Supreme Court decided anything else. It wasn't a "pro-corporate" decision, it was a an obvious one, the issue is that some object since it wasn't mindlessly irrationally anti-corporate and anti-science. Many people also have little understanding of business and economics and therefore mindlessly fear corporations (there are problems with corporations, but the net is full of mindless paranoid anti-corporate nonsense which detracts from any productive discourse about real concerns instead of fantasies).
More +
Flag
I'm in love with Maslany's talent. I'm mind blown with every new single episode. One of the best shows on TV.
Flag
The bit where Allison is mistaken for Sarah, and the ''kidnap'' that follows, is comedy gold.

Also, just to add to the amazinginess of Tatiana, she also had to portray Helena-as-Sarah, too, back in season 1. The woman truly is brilliant.
Flag
Is Rachel's casual mention of a new round of patents actually a reveal of a new series/generation of clones? Like in Dark Angel - they got it slightly wrong the first time (eg. the disease that's killing Cosima, Allison's homicidal break), so now they're trying again? Season 3: Clone Club 2.0 vs. Sarah (and whoever's left)?
Flag
Very happy with that episode, just finished watching & have immediately started it again =p Helenaaa!!! I love when TV makes me as happy as when I realised she wasn't gone =)
Flag
its jst too good i loved every single thing @ dis episode jst awesome I really want dis season wid more episodes nt satisfied wid 10 episode only

Flag
Good episode, more amazing acting. But this show needs to be careful not to make this an impossible mission.

It's already getting to the point where an untrained Sarah is out-running and out-thinking trained professionals. It's all good for fiction, but there is a line of believability, and we are getting close to it.
Flag
Sarah isn't outrunning/thinking trained professionals; she's an experienced con artist/low level criminal, and her adversaries are highly trained pros who have been trained to deal with other trained professionals. Sarah's skill set is not the skill set they know how to work with. If Dyad & co really want to track down Sarah, they need to hire other 'in the dirt' type criminals.
Flag
I agree. Sarah so far is just relying on her con skills and street contacts to get by. She is a fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants kind of girl and I think it is realistic that her plans and ideas don't always pan out. While her Alison diversion was genius, her impersonation of Cosima failed to fool Delphine. And she didn't anticipate Rachel's bluff about Kira or Paul being there with a gun. I hope Art joins her team because she could probably use his police skills and resources if she wants to take on Dyad.
Flag
I also agree, and she's got the confidence and determination to never give up, even when cornered in a toilet with a tiny window.
Flag
Great Episode

Alison is my favourite character , I thought Helena was dead(glad she is not)Felix is a great comedy character that has so much more but would not work with anybody else playing him

Does anybody else nor care about Art
Flag
I keep waiting for Art to get shot in the face lol
Flag
Oh man, I love Art, he didn't stand for any bull in the first season and when Sarah almost confessed to him I was hoping/praying she would get his help. I lot of people (especially women I know) also have a great dislike for his partner Angie, but she won me over with her dark personality at the coroner scene in Season 1 when she says "Hey Art check it out, a finger straightener [ghoulish smile]" fascinated there was a one purpose tool used on fingers crooked from rigormortis, even the coroner says "You missed your calling Angie"
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Great episode!!! OMG I love Alison, the rape whistle make me lol and so glad to see that Helena is still alive, I have a soft spot for that psycho religious killer.

Tatiana is still the best, she potrayed 6 different character and make me still believed that they were completely different actresses. Can't wait for what's next.
Flag
Alison is the best, I was laughing through the whole rape whistle/fight scene. She can sing, kick ass, deliver you a gun in a favolous way and kick ass jajaja.
Flag
Helena a.k.a crazy psycho I think will end up rescuing Kira and Mrs. S (if Mrs. S in fact needs rescuing that is).

Anyway, a very good season opener. I am hooked! #cloniverse
Flag
A very good season opener!
Flag
great episode, I knew that Helena was still ticking!!!
Flag
Finally, a believer. Of course Helena was still alive.
Flag
I thought it was pretty awesome that they gave Dyad credit for the Supreme Court decision to allow patenting of artificial genes...great that they brought a real world event into the show like that.
Flag
TV critics everywhere sobbing for not being able to use a screen-grab of Felix in ass-less chaps.

This series continues to blow my mind. Maybe Maslany has split personality disorder? Also, had forgotten about all the boring characters, Art, his partner (already forgot her name) and Paul.
Flag
Hot Paul? Lukewarm Paul more like it. I'm looking forward to Sarah delivering him a fatal injury to the groin.
Flag
I guess it's like Ward was Agent Handsome on the reviews about Agents of Shield - only there for the looks. I, unfortunately, did not invent the nicknames!
Flag
Good to be back to Orphan Black!! and you don't mess with Alison who has mace and a whistle in her arsenal
Flag
holy moly ... after the best first season of a show I have watched in a long time my expectations were extremly high for the second season. And oh boy what an first episode of the second season. Every f*** second was even more tensious than I possibly had hoped for!!! God I love this show!!!!!!!!
Flag
Orphan Black is back!! Loved that the show picked up right where it left off. Alison continues to make me laugh (of course she has a guy who sells her drugs and guns from the back of his car - and after he sells her the gun she asks about his mother - LOL, only Alison), Sarah kicking ass - that opening scene in the diner was great, and Helena is ALIVE! I know some people are weary on Helena but I absolutely love her craziness. Sarah is about to tell Art the truth (thank goodness - I think she can trust him, he really seems like he wants to help her. But don't say a word to Angie - that bitch does not seem trustworthy at all). Felix in assless chaps - HILARIOUS! So glad to have this show is back after such a loooonngg hiatus.
Flag
On the topic of clones impersonating other clones, we also saw Helena pretending to be Sarah (pretending to be Beth) in season 1, and that was glorious.

Also, great episode!
Flag
My favorite line from this episode was when Art told Sara - You are like a bad smell that will not go away - hilarious !

I was one of those who were worried season two will not live up to our expectations but judging from this first episode, it looks like it will. Its great that it feel like a continuation. It was just as exciting as the first.

My favorite scene was between Rachel and Sarah.

"You are not going to shoot me!" then Sarah fired the shot and Rachel was so shock. Then Sarah punched her in the face. Well done !

Tatiana Maslany prove herself again, this time by pretending to be Cosima and again she did it so well.

My only complain is Helena is back and with the same irritating music. Weak shows like The Following killed the characters off only to bring them back again probably because they do not have enough characters to go around. Strong shows like GOT just moved on. I do hope OB do not do this often.

I was thinking Proclone Rachel will make a good enough villain.
Flag
I'm hoping that Helena won't be the villain this season, considering all the clones have a common enemy now.
Flag
Helena was never a villain, was never the sniper, was always on Kira's side.
Flag
Loved the episode...! Orphan Black was a surprise hit of last year, and each minute of last night's episode was proof of that. Tatiana Maslany definitely is uber-talented! :)
Flag
Yes, it was a very good continuation of the story, some really great action scenes, a nice set up for what's coming, new characters, Felix better than ever and amazing Maslany all over the place. This looks like it will be as good as season 1. Fingers crossed!
Flag
"Last season we saw Alison pretend to be Sarah and Sarah pretend to be Alison, plus all the Sarah-pretending-to-be-Beth stuff. Now we've seen Sarah pretend to be Cosima, and it's truly spectacular how she manages to bring out both characters in those performances."

I agree, it's utherly stunning how Tatiana Maslany does it.
Flag
It's gonna be such a pain watching this on a weekly basis.
Flag
Many people, including myself, heard about this show after the first season was done. And many people binge-watched Orphan Black over the course of one weekend. Now, those people, like me, are going to have to suffer watching season 2 weekly, as opposed to watching it at our own pace.
Flag
I did watch from season 1 episode 1. Two months ago, I persuaded my wife to watch season 1 hoping she can watch weekly with me once season two starts. She finally binge on it.

Guess what, now she still does not want to watch with me weekly. She will binge on it again once the 10 episodes of season two finished. Ha !

Well, I will watch it a second time then.
Flag
Yeah, i was one of them too. I didn't watch until last December, same with Hannibal. For ten days, i had a daily dose of those two series.
Flag
I think he means, only weekly. :)
Flag
OMG I love this show with all my heart I'm super duper excited and can't stop typing while sounding like a high school girl talking about her crush
So yes of course this episode felt extremely short because OB it's always filled with action, conspiracys and clones doing whatever.
Alison ahhh I love her she is my favourite clone she is like the person you go to when you are in deep shit she knows how to get you guns, drugs and flower arrangements. I mean if there was a zombie apocalypse I will go to her seeking help while bringing her wine.
Sarah was also awesome she is resourceful and badass.
Of course Helena is alive this show needs her lovable psycho.
Felix! way to make an entrance! love you on those pants.
And yes "If Orphan Black doesn't eventually recreate this scene from The First Wives Clubwith Sarah, Alison, and Cosima, it'll really be missing out on some truly great stuff." I couldn't agree more ot would awesome in so many levels.
Flag
I'm surprised Alison doesn't have a secret survivalist basement!
Good of the nutty hunter to wait for Sarah to break a hole in the bogs.
Just caught up with the Will Wheaton (why can I only hear it as Stewie's Will Wheaton, oh yeah, cause he's soo TV smug in real life!) chat show and, after thinking I found this or that clone the best looking, nope; it's Tatiana herself, who looks like a young Alyssa Milano. Yummy! It was fortunately revealed that a continuing theme for season two will run with the whose agenda can you live with as acceptable enough to still like and/or trust.
Let the good times evolve.
Flag
she does have a torture room! I mean craft room.
Flag
hahahah! Easily confusable.
Flag
I just want a webserie with Alison and Ramon RIGHT NOW !!!
Flag
I am happy that Orphan Black is back, I hope it remains consistent because Episode 1 was very very very good.
Flag
Hell yes! Helena forever!!
Flag
Only if she have more tails to swing around while she dancing.
Flag
SEESTRA!!! I know Helena is nuts and dangerous, but I was truly sad when I thought she was dead. This was really a fantastic season premiere. So many things happened that it's hard to even talk about everything that was good. One thing that really makes me happy is to see Sarah turn to Art for help. I had a feeling last season that he would become more involved (in a good way). He's still pissed at Sarah about Beth, but he's smart enough to be suspicious of everything now.

All the previews for this season have made it seem Paul is a bad guy. The premiere gave me some hope that he isn't. I also have hope for Mrs S. Maybe she started out on the wrong side, which would explain the photo.

Felix is so awesome. All his scenes were so good. Loved the assless chaps! lol
Flag
I don't care if it was like the movie Misery and they had to force/cripple the writer to come up with some convoluted way to bring Helena back from the dead, I'm dancing in circles like Kathy Bates.
Flag
Finally Orphan Black is here again!!!
Welcome back Sarah, Cosima, Allyson, Helena, Felix & company... the greatest news: Helena is still alive!!
I don't get one think... how can you "write" a Private Property in a DNA code? I mean... how do you reclaim it? Anyway... I'm not very interested on this plot either, for now.
So we have two "bad teams" in this game... Rachel side & Helena's group? I'm impatient to see how this is going to develop...
I'm also astonished with Tatiana Maslani... her performanceS are amazing... she's capable of play 5 different roles, each one unique and totally different
Like I said… It’s really GOOD to have this show back!!

– "I'm not going to apologize for my heart."
I love it!!!
Flag
Awesome!!! I just wish Felix had clones too! His reactions towards his clones would be epic!!!!!!!!!!! (Plus Jordan Gavaris can certainly pull off different characters as Tatiana can for sure!)
Flag
Amazing! I love this show.
Alison is probably easily in my top 5 favorite characters now. She would join a musical and buy pills and guns from a guy named Ramone in a grocery store parking lot then ask about his mom and send the gun in flowers with a card. I just find myself cracking up in any scene she is in. Oh and when she was "kidnapped" it was so funny. I am not surprised she had a whistle and pepper spray.
I did not see Helena coming back at all. Like, I don't think anybody even hinted at it. I'm really interested to learn about the miraculous recovering abilities that she and Kira and probably Sarah seem to have.
I don't really mind the Art/Angie story line because it is kind of fun watching their shocked faces and I can't wait till they actually talk to Alison.

Flag
Episode was great,funny,interesting,etc....TILL they brought back Helena. Ok,she's great character,this and that,but is this already a sign of writers not being able to let go one character? And I am surprised,how far she had to walk to get help IN HOSPITAL. My god,they might as well make her walk to ER and let her say,she needs help.
Flag
I thought just about that when I saw Helena coming back. Well, she was the most popular clone and gave for amazing Maslany work, so it is not so surprising after all that they made her survive. I believe they are going to give us some explanations about that next week, let's cross fingers for them to be credible enough :)
Flag
Awesome premiere! I say it set everything up nicely (: can't wait to see Sarah's reaction to Helena being alive. The whole Prolitheians and Neolutionists could be interesting especially if the two antagonistic groups wind up fighting against one another. Allison/Felix scenes are awesome. I'm also looking forward to Art getting dragged into this as long as it gets rid of his annoying partner. I never was a big fan of Paul either honestly. Bring on next Saturday!
Flag
Great review and great to see Orphan Black back.
My take on Art's ongoing presence is that Sarah is lacking in resources esp of the muscle kind now that hot Paul (awww) is full time at the Dyad and that the religious Johny Cash look alikes are in town and seemingly to stay... So Art is going to be Sarah's muscle but also man on the inside... Angie is not to be trusted so I am guessing she is in the Dyad pocket or thereabouts...
On Helena's survival, perhaps some DNA things at work but I suspect the religious guy was keeping an eye on her to ensure she got to the ER on time so I am guessing he gave her a ride? or something
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members