An Orphan Black Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on BBC America (Returning 2017)

Orphan Black S02E03: "Mingling Its Own Nature With It"

I take more notes during a typical episode of Orphan Black than I took in any of my college courses. Well, except for the one time when a professor discussed the correct way to assemble a Molotov cocktail (it's not as easy as people make it look on TV, and that was a very weird history class). But I digress: So much can happen on this show in the span of 40-something odd minutes that I constantly worry I'll miss something, or that I'll skip something that seems small but is actually very important. The result is usually a lot of confusing commentary scribbled in handwriting that even a chicken would find illegible. And this week, my notes were littered with a lot of question marks, several comments about Orphan Black seemingly taking cues from Hannibal's color-correction team, sad faces regarding Felix, and a big "Where the HELL is Hot Paul?" 

"Mingling Its Own Nature With It" picked up the morning after Sarah, Felix, and Kira skipped whatever unnamed Canadian city Orphan Black is set in (the series is filmed in Toronto, but creator Graeme Manson has said that its ambiguous setting is purposeful because the show is a co-production, buuuuuut it's totally Toronto). As you may've guessed, Felix's relationship with the great outdoors is fragile at best, and camping is probably not listed on his OkCupid profile as one of his favorite activities, which is why it was so funny to see him out of his element. We knew going into Season 2 that Felix and Sarah were going to have a falling out—Manson said as much earlier this year—but I still wasn't prepared for it. 

It's a testament to Orphan Black's writers that although Sarah and Felix's fracturing happened quickly, it also felt like the natural progression of their relationship (I even wondered about it last week). Felix's line about being "intimately acquainted" with Sarah's bullshit was telling. He's been helping clean up Sarah's messes for so long—since well before the clones and their problems were even on their radar. And her habit of taking advantage of Felix dates all the way back to the series premiere, when she asked him to sell her stolen coke. We bend over backwards for the ones we love, but Felix has bent over so far for Sarah that he's practically lying down. He's always been there for her, he's done everything she's asked, and he's always had her back. But he's not getting much in return, and everyone has a breaking point. It looks like Felix has finally reached his.

Orphan Black often reminds us that Sarah abandoned Kira, and that she's trying to make up for that now, but as Jordan Gavaris pointed out in a recent interview, Sarah didn't just leave Kira, she left Felix too. He's dealing with his own abandonment issues, and he feels like there's no longer a place for him in her life. And that's why he packed his bags and hitchhiked back to civilization. At this point in the episode, my notes were reminiscent of the Sweet Home Alabama scene where Candice Bergen yells, "You go after him, you little bitch!" when Reese Witherspoon lets Patrick Dempsey's character walk away. Sarah and Felix's relationship is right at the core of Orphan Black, and it's going to be interesting to see how this storyline plays out with Sarah not having her number two, and with Felix and Alison growing ever closer. Felix's choice to support Alison's musical was touching, and I look forward to many more Felix/Alison scenes.

Another new development this week was the introduction of Michiel Huisman's Cal. (Huisman has certainly been a busy little bee lately, hasn't he? From Treme to Nashvillethen Game of Thrones, now Orphan Black. Did he happen upon some Felix Felicis? Because he's the luckiest man in Hollywood) Seconds before Kira asked whether Cal was her father, I scribbled in my notes, "Is Cal her father?" So kudos to me, I'm smarter than an eight-year-old! But Orphan Black never does anything without purpose, so even though Cal appears to be another innocent bystander who's been pulled into Sarah's ever-growing list of messes, his introduction at this point in the story isn't a coincidence. It's not like the series is lacking for drama, so the writers must have a reason for choosing now to introduce us to Sarah's ex-boyfriend and the father of her child. 

What does Cal's presence mean? How does he fit in to this? He's Kira's father, and despite Sarah stealing $10,000 from him and bolting eight years and nine months ago, she obviously felt something for him. But it's more likely that he's now going to fill the void at Sarah's side left by Felix's departure. He has a vested interest in keeping Kira safe, and it's obvious Sarah still makes his pants a bit tight, so yeah, I think we know exactly why Cal's back in the picture. Plus, did you catch his former job? He designed drones that helped pollenate areas where bee populations had died out (before his partners sold the technology to the military). Is everything on this series somehow related to science affecting life and reproduction? 

Speaking of, Helena's now wed (I guess that's what that ribbon binding ceremony was?) and ready to be used by Henrik as a baby maker! *gag* Seriously, please excuse me while I vomit up everything I've eaten in the last 12 hours, because this is beyond disgusting and beyond wrong. It was bad enough when it looked like they were going to artificially inseminate Helena, but this is far worse than anything the series has ever done before. Helena can barely take care of herself. She's still recovering from being shot by Sarah. She is in no shape, physically, to be engaging in baby-making activities. Furthermore, there's no reason to believe Helena's even up to speed on what's about to happen to her. She's in no shape, mentally, to be doing much of anything without someone holding her hand. Also, Gracie's going to need to stop referring to Helena as "It" unless she wants my foot up her ass. She's a clone, but she's a human being. I know the standard line of religious thinking is that Helena and the clones are an abomination, and that the series itself is about what constitutes humanity and individuality, but guys, I want Gracie to trip and fall on all the bullshit she's spewing and maybe (hopefully) break her neck.

And according to the previews for next week, it looks like Alison broke her arm when she took that drunken tumble from the stage during her opening performance of Blood Ties: The Musical. I saw someone mention in the comments that this was a real thing and I did a little digging, and now I just want BBC America to release a full performance of this musical. It'd be a brilliant tie-in. (Call me, BBC America. Let's talk about how to make this happen.) Anyway, in the aftermath of discovering Donnie's her real monitor, Alison took revenge on him by vacuuming while he was sleeping, which is so in character, and so brilliant that I'm going to start using it on all my enemies. Nothing is more annoying than someone making noise when you're trying to nap. She also mistakenly thought Angie was another monitor sent to observe her once she'd discovered the truth about Donnie, which I guess makes sense because of where her mind is, but I'm glad the show didn't drag that out and revealed Angie's true interests in the same episode.

Cosima was mostly sidelined again this week as she watched each of Jennifer Fitzsimmons' video diaries chronicling her battle with the mysterious illness plaguing the clones. It was hella depressing watching Cosima realize the same thing will eventually happen to her if she doesn't figure out what it is and how to stop it. Her impression of Dr. Leekie was very good, though, which just goes to show that Tatiana Maslany could probably play every single character on this show if she actually wanted to (although that would be even more time-consuming, and a bit awkward during sex scenes).

With so much going on, it's easy to forget about Dyad, but Rachel's hound Daniel returned this week. He tried to snatch Kira after successfully tracking her from the compound in last week's episode, to the general store, to Cal's cabin. I don't know how he found them, but I hope he was critically injured in the car accident that ended the episode, because he's like a dog with a bone and he's not going to stop hunting Sarah and Kira. But his presence in "Mingling Its Own Nature With It" also just goes to show that no matter how hard she tries, Sarah cannot outrun what is happening. From what we know of her life before the series began—and it's obvious from her relationships with both Felix and Mrs. S—Sarah's a runner. She cuts and runs when things get tough rather than face her problems. She might be a fighter, and she might have told Paul running wasn't really her style when she came to his rescue in Season 1, but everything we've seen so far contradicts that. From the moment we met Sarah, her intent has always been to leave with Felix and Kira. But she'll never be able to escape the drama of the clones, so if she wants the possibility of living a normal life again, the only way to achieve her goals is if she stops running and faces everything head on. 

CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Orphan Black has always had an interesting color palette, but since most of the action takes place indoors or in the city, I don't think it ever gets its proper due with regard to the series' overall look. This week, though, with the new settings like Cal's cabin and the outdoors, everything looked amazing.

– Where was Mrs. S this week? She obviously cleared out of the compound before Daniel and the Proletheans arrived, but there was no sight of her, which was a bummer because I was looking forward to learning a bit more about her. Of course, it's easy as a viewer to sit back and accept that Mrs. S is a badass, but to Sarah and Felix, she's always just been their foster mother, and this development changes everything for them. I suppose if I saw my father blow a guy's head off like it wasn't the first time he'd done such a thing, I'd probably be a little shocked, too. And then we'd have a serious chat about all those times he was pissed off because I was "lying."

– Serious question: How does Sarah walk around in those leather/pleather pants all the time? Like, doesn't she get hot? How does she not sweat? How are those comfortable to wear? 

– Art tracked the Proletheans to their compound this week. He'd be my knight in shining armor if he raced in and saved Helena from the bullshit that's about to rain down upon her just because Henrik thinks he's doing God's work.

– WhereTF is Hot Paul? (Realistically, his lack of screen time makes sense. He was supposed to go to Taiwan or whatever with Rachel, and so far, Season 2's storylines haven't really called for his presence, but still. I am concerned.)

– "I can handle it, don't be a bitch." 

– "Felix: Foster brother and avowed pacifist."

– "I like his beard." Me and you both, Kira. Me and you both.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/16/2016

Season 4 : Episode 10

108 Comments
Comments (107)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Is it wrong that I am desperately hoping the Prolethians are going to inseminate Helena with that baster thingie, instead of impregnating her by rape? Either way it's an abominable violation, but somehow I feel like being inseminated is slightly less awful...
Flag
Is it bad that I laughed when Alison fell of the stage? and that ending!!! wow!!
Flag
Who cares if you end an episode with more questions than answers? (Well, it might bother Alison.) The cloneclub is loving the confusion. #Orphanblack is trending at a sturdy 67% positive in Twitter. ’Damn right.
Flag
While I liked this episode overall, I did NOT like the "soap opera" going on at Cal's cabin. I don't understand why Felix left like that. There has to be more going on than Felix annoyed about Sarah and the gorgeous hunk re-connecting. I guess Felix didn't feel like Sarah needed him, while Allison did. It's just the timing really threw me, and made less sense than usual.

Cal is one seriously gorgeous hunk! But that whole back-story sounded freaky and threw up some major red flags. But I still think Paul could whoop his really cute ass.

I loved how Allison gave Angie "what for". Art needs to let his bosses know that Angie is getting out of line. And Allison is not someone anyone should ever cross. But I am worried about her drinking and pill popping.

Delphine is giving off some very strange vibes right now, I think something is up with her. The way she acted when telling Cosima about Jennifer's illness was very sketchy.

My guess right now is that Cal is the one who hit the car.
Flag
Yeah, your point makes sense to me. I think he felt left out because Sarah never told him about Cal. But it did seem sort of sudden--now, if he had been more hesitant to pack up and go in the first place, I would understand. But he seemed like he WANTED to go! I guess he just feels left out and like he isn't needed any more.
Flag

Did anyone else LOL when Allison dropped like a stone off the stage? Lol, oh man, I just DIED. So funny.
Flag
I laughed for like 30 seconds and then was like, "Oh right, she might be seriously injured."
Flag
Great episode, but I didnt particularly enjoy the directing this time around. I know its TV, but it felt a bit too amateurish at some points, especially the scenes at Cal's cabin. The angles were weird, and that action sequence at the end took away just about every sense of suspense. Disappointing to say the least.
Flag
Although the clone thing will always be lurking somewhere, this episode dealt with the more human aspect of the series. Sarah dealt with parenthood, Cosima, with her disease, Felix with his loneliness, and even Helena, on some level, with her being a Promethean. Allison, of course, did not deal with anything, because well she is Alison. Her annoying monitor hubby in his sleep got her to fall and break an arm; and her not dealing with Art's partner, could have given her a way out and gain an ally.
While in that brief bubble, we saw that basically without the Clone issue, life would have benefit only Sarah and Kira, but none of the others. There is a nudge there that perhaps the Clone issue is somehow more important in their lives than they would admit; that is, that solving that mystery and resolving their identity through that issue is actually a positive impact in their future. It seems strange to witness something that might be lethally bad in a life produce any positive effect other than being sheer alive.
For Cosima, finding the cure; and through it the defective gene that is stopping "production" for Dyad, becomes literally a quest for reconstruction. Helena's plight is that she has been drugged all her life, either by substance or by brainwashing, so her ordeal will probably show her the way out and into the Light, just not Henryk's. Sarah knows that she has a future with Cal, although this remains to be seen what kind it will end up like. I have still hope that Alison will pull through, but at this time I can't see how.
Then the bubble burst and we are once again in the violence of the series.
More+
Flag
Cal must have friends in high places, I suspect Sarah is hoping that he end is sulking about the military buying his research and come out fighting for his daughter. Plus he must have deep pockets as well, if he didn't miss 10k.
Flag
So many car accidents on TV recently (OB and POI) are done by one car deliberately smashing perpendicularly into another. Is it just me, or would that be an extremely difficult thing to do at speed?
Flag
Add Arrow to the list. Realistically, the ramming car would have to be about a mile ahead, on a side road, with enough side road distance and diagonal visibility to time when to start and get up to speed.

But it's just "Hollywood/cartoon physics", completely unrealistic. :-) It looks like what we're actually shown is the camera inside a nearly stationary car getting hit by a truck doing around 20 mph.

Oh, the Veronica Mars Movie also featured a dramatic side crash, although the target car was barely moving, if at all, and indeed, the stunt was shot live.
Flag
C'mon you forgot Arrow. Clasic sideways crash before Deathstroke put a sword through Moira's heart.
Flag
Well, the ramming car has to be waiting for it's target car to pass, but worse, they always seem to ram the right side of the car. :-)
Flag
Awesome episode as always
Please someone help Helena yeah she is a psycho buuuut she is hurt and this people are taking advantage of her
Felix and Alison together again thank god cause that woman needs it bad
Cosima doing doctor Leekies voice was great
Damn Sarah you really know how to choose your guys
Art doing something useful great!
Yeah I wonder the same about Sarahs leather pants ... but gotta admit she looks amazing in them.

Flag
Sarah's pants are like leggings, and not at all unconfortable to wear ;)
Love this episode, best one so far.
Kira's got to have an extrasensory ability or something, I'm calling it now.
Flag
Cal over Paul any day and it's just been one episode. Idk where Paul is but he can stay there honestly lol one thing I like is that the introduction of the new characters doesn't feel forced at all and it's all seemlessly flowing together! I thought between Dyad and Prolethians and Cal I'd be overwhelmed but I'm not, and I'm loving it! Hopefully Cal sticks around and maybe he was the one who drove his car into the cop one (or Mrs. S maybe)?

Yeah I don't like Gracie, I mean sure Helena's beyond cray cray, but I don't appreciate her treating her like trash, and if Helena can truly get pregnant I will go through a series of operations after my head explodes. The Sarah/Felix falling out was sad, but I'm looking forward to Felix/Allison moments!

Another er good episode overall!
Flag
Can't wait to see how the show uses Cal. His tech background and biological connection to Kira alone make him intriguing, let alone his past with Sarah. I'm glad the show is reminding us of Sarah's grifter past and how she hurt people. Part of her story is redemption and responsibility for the mistakes she's made. Added bonus that one of the biggest issues from her past is something she can't control (clone club) versus the acts she needs to atone for.

Hopefully Cosima starts figuring out some answers. The contrast between Cosima and the freaky religious-science group will be fascinating as the season progresses.

Oh--and poor Helena. And poor Allison with her jumping to the 'second monitor' conclusion. And the vacuum? Awesome.
Flag
The thing about Orphan Black which is so enjoyable is that almost every single person 's IQ must be through the roof. Sarah adds possibly another "invisible" Knight to her entourage. I find I don't worry too much about Sarah because she has Art, Paul, Felix and now Cal all in some sort of way looking out for her. Another great installment, Felix and Sarah's spat should be interesting and beneficial to Allison. I'm not quite sure why but I always feel like their is a clone missing in each eppy.
Flag
Michiel Huisman is the luckiest actor now. He get to romance Dany in GOT, kiss Connie Britton in Nashville and now Tatiana. All the good jobs go to him.

This was again an exciting episode and it looks like OB is going to steam roll all the way to episode 10. No filter episode at all. Great !

Tatiana was awesome again this time playing Jennifer.

It must be creepy as hell if you are cosima and operating on someone with your own face.

Kira just so wise beyond her years :-)

I think now Sarah should just let Kira stayed with Mrs S. She seems much more capable to protect her.
Flag
Michiel Huisman - I prefer him here to Game of Thrones. I was so upset when they changed the actor playing Daario. He was perfect based on the description in the book. Ah well.

Here I thought the writers made up that musical. I thought it was pretty awesome! LOL! I'm all onboard with the BBC showing us the full musicall too!

I can't wait for Helena to get back on her feet. I hope they don't keep her drugged up all season cuz that's what it would take to keep her from killing that whole friggn cult!

I took the introduction of Kira's dad as a way for someone to be taking care of Kira off screen while the grown ups deal with what's going on. I guess we'll see how that plays out.

Looking forward to the Fe/Allison friendship as well although I didn't appreciate how he used her as a fallback friend after leaving her on her own and practically hanging up in her face last week when she was asking for help.

The ladycop is annoying and I wish she'd catch a bullet but maybe she'll end up being useful so i'll keep my fingers crossed there.

Good stuff as always Orphan Black. Keep up the good work!
More+
Flag
Allison: the absolute best at passive-agressive.

Did they really call the video-clone Fitzsimmons and nobody commented on that? Don't tell S.H.I.E.L.D. or they might also come looking for clones...

I'm not sure if I agree about Gracie. Might be, she is the only sane one of those Proletheans that we have met. Certainly Belt-buckle-guy and Hat-guy are creepy looking and talking fellas. I'm so waiting for Helena to get back on her feet.
Flag
Get back on her feet so she can kill them all. Those selfrighetous freaks make me angry.
Flag
The son look nervous, he could also be one of Helena rescuers.
Flag
Also I have no problem with how they found Sarah and Kira. The trail seemed to point to the store, then I assume the Sheriff and then to Cal.

What does bother me, is that if the company is so rich and so powerful and such a big deal - why did they send only 1 person for the job? Seriously that's dumb.

At the very least, they expected her to be alongside Felix and Kira so how did he expect to have 3 people under his control with only 1 gun?

Flag
It hard hire men willing to kill cops, believe or not. It not that dumb that they only have one guy who they have on the payrole to do that type of dirty work.
Flag
I agree. Perhaps he is a pretensios hothead?
Flag
You don't get to that level working for such a firm by being a complete moron.
Flag
I think Cal isn't just a replacement for Mrs S or Felix, he is also replacing Paul. My guess is that if he survives till the end of the season, they'll make Sarah do a Sophie's choice between them.
Flag
Kaitlin, I don't think those pants are full pleather/leather. I think it's just the front part that's pleather but the rest is like normal leggings material. I could be wrong though.

Flag
That seems even weirder to me!
Flag
Lol. They're not that bad. I used to have a pair. The leather part is kind of patched onto the front part of the leggings. So you've got the stretch cotton next to your skin and the pleather part is very thin, so you don't get hot. See pic #1 - That's what they look like.

Flag
This was a great episode. Helena and Henrik's wedding was super creepy. I hope Gracie stabs Henrik before she falls off a cliff.

I wish Art would have a real talk with Angie. Just tell her wtf is going on. She already knows too much, might as well let her in on it. Right now she's only putting herself and Clone Club in danger.

Poor Alison. I'm glad Felix is with her now.
Flag
Good review Kaitlin! Sad to see Felix and Sarah part ways, but everything he said was true. Hopefully they make up soon, but I look forward to more Alison and Felix because those two together are absolute GOLD. I like Cal, and look forward to seeing more of him and learning more about him. Poor Helena, this girl cannot catch a break - and now this loony toon religious group wants to use her to procreate - I hope Art gets her out of there. Can someone take out Angie because she annoys the crap out of me. This show is awesome - can't wait to see what happens next.
Flag
TV.com staff, isn't there anything you can do about the ever annoying spam that has infected every article on your site? And it seems to be getting worse and worse by the day. IT'S EVERYWHERE - just look at this thread! I get that it counts as a comment and adds to your pageview counter but is it really worth it?
Flag
Worse thing now is they are not just spamming comments which we can easily flag. Now they are spamming discussions and post on the different communities site which is difficult to flag. I guess now the staffs have to take turns and stand watch like guarding a fortress.
Flag
The only way to fight it is to add a captcha which is absolutely terrible as an idea and will annoy us a heck of a lot more than the spammers.
Flag
captcha is the easiest of the shelf.

still don't quite know why only Google has implemented filters for comments sections, on Youtube. Most spam fits an obvious pattern that could easily be filtered out automatically.
Flag
And you'll be surprised how easy it is to change those patterns.
Flag
Yes they can that why you keep their pattern recognition updated as well. For me at least Youtube has eliminated spam on its comment section on
Flag
... or a double profile verification and secure login requirement when posting (proof of identity). ...which would be just as annoying.
Flag
Sadly, that means nothing as this site allows Facebook Connect logins to work. And getting facebook accounts is insanely easy.
Flag
Mirela - that's nothing. Check your communities feed. Someone hacked tv.com big time :(
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Because it was mentioned last episode.
Flag
Michiel Huisman is EVERYWHERE these days. Good thing he's so damn hot :)
Flag
Good ep. Couple of things felt a bit forced/rushed, mostly how people can find clones really fast when plot requires it.

And one can't help but feel sorry for Helena. As interesting it would be to see if she can get pregnant, since she isn't a clone but Sarah's live birth twin, going about this this way is..... well a lot of things which can't be printed here.

Also can admins/mods do something about money making scmas/schemes here?
Flag
Not really, the cop radio in the number plate, an it been hited that this group has high level government contacts, so may be the number plate was added to a watch list and got automatically flag up an sent to them.
Flag
Some nice humor and feel-good bits in this episode. I'm liking Sarah (and Kira) more and more; we don't see Sarah happy much unless she's hanging out with her little monkey.
Flag
I luv, luv, luv how this show does such an great job with moving the story at a perfect pace. They didn't drag the Angie/Monitor thing out, which would have been silly and they did the same thing with Kira and Mrs. S...they didn't drag their "missing" storyline on and on. This makes for a great ride and a brilliant TV series.

The spam is awful on this article, btw.
Flag
I love Felix's butt, seriously.

I also miss Hot Paul.
Flag
WOW I really loved this episode, my heart broke for Felix as everything he said rung true. How does Kira know everything that girl is very intuitive. I wasn't expecting to like cal but I love him he's hot and sweet I want more, just as I want more of Paul I miss him. Poor Helena hasn't that crazy woman been through enough that man deserves to be shot. Taking a look back at Ms S handy work jezz just .............
Flag
An amazing episode as always! I liked Cal, and it will be very ineresting to see how he will impact the over al storyline mystery with the clones.

And also is it just me, or is Delphine just a big pain in the butt? I really do not like her...
Flag
I miss Paul! Don't get me wrong, I'm thoroughly enjoying the season so far but I hope they bring HOT Paul back into the fold soon...
Flag
"Man's work is god's work as long as you do it in god's name"....Man that's some bullshit.How deluded is Henrik........
Flag
Exactly! That's basically like giving yourself a lifelong free pass.
Flag
'and it's obvious Sarah still makes his pants a bit tight'

Eww! But great review. I feel like Cosima's story might become the most interesting soon. The science of the clones has great unexplored potential.
Flag
It's a little frustrating how slow the Cosima stuff has been lately. If she doesn't get more screen time and if the science isn't a bit more at the forefront next week, I'm going to have a bone to pick with the show. There's so much there. I mean, Cosima is dying! Get it together, show!
Flag
But if you think about it, it's really only been days-maybe a week tops-since she started to get sick. It would be great if we could get JUST a Cosima episode, or JUST a Sarah episode, or JUST a Fee/Alison tea time (;-p) But I have a feeling with ten episodes a season that's not happening. :-( I mean you could create shows around each of these characters on their own and it would be fantastic. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this going on.
Flag
Not just dying - She is on the inside of the company too.
So much wasted potential.
Flag
Oooh, also, it struck me how interesting Sarah's story would have been anyway, on it's own: what with the being adopted and trying to do right by her daughter and the relationship with her foster brother and running all the time…and then my brain kind of exploded trying to process the fact that that's all on top of the fact that she's a CLONE. For a second I was so wrapped up in her story that I was sad to leave it, but then Cosima imitated Dr. Leaky and Alison fell off the stage and I just want Art to find Helena like yesterday and it's just ALL SO FUCKING GOOD!

(Another note, Helena's scenes were also an example of the WTF that I saw coming…but soooooo much worse to see them played out then what I could have imagined. This show has these rare moments where what you're seeing on screen is actually WORSE (or so much better) than anything you could have come up with on your own.)

Okay, that's it. Sorry, I just don't have an outlet right now-no one else I know watches this show-to get out all my thoughts.
Flag
Okay, so this is why I LOVE this show…okay, so this is one of the MILLIONS of reasons why I love this show:

No matter how predictable the events, it's the only thing on TV right now that makes me scream at my computer and want to rip my hair out in major WTF?! moments, even if I already saw the wtf coming.

Case in point: Honestly, I had Cal pegged as Kira's father from the previews (and by previews, I'm talking the ones that came out three weeks ago for the entire season). Old love interest who looks more like Kira than Sarah? And with SUCH an emphasis being placed on genetics vs. nurture and identity and where/who we all come from? It wasn't really that hard to connect. Plus, from the promos and Sarah's cryptic response that she had "been in the area before" it was a pretty easy move to put two and two together and realize that the house they broke into was his. So yeah, going into the episode I was stoked to meet Kira's dad. That said, the reveal moment-with Kira bluntly asking if he was her father and NO ONE speaking a response to confirm (other than Felix because he reads his sister that well) was by far one of the greatest moments of tv history. (Yes, that might be conflated, but I really don't think so.) I knew it was coming, but I had NO idea it would be sooooo good. I screamed. And then rewound. And then watched it again. And then I screamed some more. (Gavaris talked about Maria Doyle Kennedy's ability to emote (but that's not the right word) how amazing it was to work with her. Well, he's pretty damn good at it too.)The look on Cal's face when he looks to Sarah to share the laugh and she doesn't-the look on Felix's face when the dots connect in his brain-the look Sarah gives them both...The subtleties and unspoken moments of this show are FUCKING BRILLIANT.

I guess what I really mean to say is: THANK YOU ORPHAN BLACK, for SHOWING US. With all the spoken expose happening in other shows, which you-Kaitlin have so beautifully pointed out, and which I won't name here, it's refreshing to see a production that respects the intelligence of its audience.

And then, of course, there are the WTF!? moments that take me completely by surprise…because just when I'm going along with the show and have stopped breathing and stopped trying to analyze what I'm seeing- a truck comes out of nowhere and the entire thing cuts to black and I'm screaming again. Jesus Christ. Seriously. WTF?! WTF just happened?! W.T.F?!

(Also, as a side note, I've been a long time reader of your reviews Kaitlin-thank you!)
More+
Flag
Nashville! That's where I remember Michiel Huisman from. I haven't watched Nashville in months and it was bugging me where I had seen this guy.

Like you, Kaitlin, I was wondering if he was going to turn out to be more than an old mark. But it sounds like you got the thought fully formed before Kira said something. Me? She interrupted my thought. But now I'm glad that we now see who Kira's father is.

With so many characters it took me til reading this review to remember from where the guy who kidnapped Sarah is from. It was all blending together for a minute.

The Felix/Sarah fall-out was a bit rough to watch. You basically covered all the points that my thoughts are full of. Melted my heart when he felt the need to get back to be there for Allison.

And Helena (loved the Shakira reference that Angie made...finally). That poor girl. The whole situation is 10x's more demented than she is. And I really hope that it is Art to sweep in and save the day. If not him, no one else will right now.

I'm ok with no Paul in the picture. So much going on, I barely noticed he wasn't in the episode.
More+
Flag
Could his absence have anything to do with his role on Arrow which films across the country.
Flag
He was only in a few episodes of Arrow this season. So I don't think so.
Flag
Arrow and OB were filming around the same time in the fall.
Flag
Oh and excellent review as always, Kaitlin. Thanks.
Flag
Wow, this has been a big couple of weeks for creepy rapey scenes on TV. Helena is a lot of thing and most of those things aren't good. But she doesn't deserve to get raped by MIT, let alone get roped into a cult. I bet that she thought getting shot by her sister was going to be the worst thing to happen to her. Nope. MIT is going to go about it the old fashion way, drug them so that they can't resist and rape them. Classy. Hopefully, though I doubt it, she will come to and cut parts off of him or something.

Cosima this week made and interesting find. If it is the Uterus that is where the polyps start and spread from, then it could very well be a simple fix of a hysterectomy. I doubt that it is going to be that simple, well at least for her. It is interesting that it starts with the Uterus. I imagine that during the genetic building of these clones that it was intentional to make them sterile so that they couldn't reproduce and this is one of the offsets of that. Fitzsimmons clone was kind of tragic and odd that she had just died and they, they being Leakey and Rachel didn't mention it in their recruiting of Cosima. I would have to wonder about that if I was Cosima. But the obvious next step would be for Cosima to schedule a Hysteroscopy in order to see if her Uterus is the similar to that of Fitzsimmons and then to schedule the rest of them for the same procedure. I doubt though that it is going to be something as simple as endometrial cancer but here is hoping that it is because I don't want Cosima to die off. I still find Cosima's story as interesting if not more so than Sarah and the rest of them. Her increased intelligence in comparison to the rest of them is by and far too interesting to completely be a side note for the overall story.

Sarah's intertwined marks are starting to become as interesting as the rest of the show. Firstly what does she do with all of the money. She stole what 20k from Vic, 10k from Cal. Either those leather pants are crazy expensive or she has money managing problems. But I kind of found her talk with Kiera empty. This isn't her trying to spend time with Kiera just for the benefit of it. She is on the run from Kiera because of Dyad and now the Prolethians. It isn't altruistic as much as it is survival. I feel she was genuine in what she said. But Kiera is not far off from her critique of Sarah. And I am willing to bet she would make the same observation of Sarah currently. I have no doubt of Sarah's love of her daughter but she has to admit that though this might have been the goal the whole time, this certainly isn't all about her wanting to spend time with Kiera. It is just not that easy.

And a side note. I want Cosima to spend time with Kiera. Kiera is way too smart and intuitive for them to not be able to figure some things out. It is an interesting aspect to Kiera that has yet to be explored in the show, we just get short glimpses into her intelligence and I can't wait until they further that aspect of the character. Kiera might not only be the result of the Clones, she might be their savior.

Cal. Hmm. I am kind of disappointed in Cal. You can't be a guy in the sticks with a beard and not be able to make that shot to hit Daniel and save Sarah. That wasn't even 30yds man. He needs to shave his beard as penance for being a crappy mountain man. Paul could have made that shot with his eyes closed Cal. You should think about that.

And finally Alison. I so thoroughly enjoy every moment that Alison is on the screen. Mostly because you never know what she is going to do. Her character is so perfect and Tatiana plays her so very well. It is such a considered display of subtle comedy in her character just makes everything better. Her conversation with Cosima was great. Her saying sorry when she sat on the tub was hilarious and her falling off the stage was just the culmination of her comedy. And her dealing with Angie was fantastic. I don't think Angie new what hit her when she turned and called her out and poked her in the chest.

Another fantastic episode.
More+
Flag
I thought Cal just gave a warning shot, could swear he aimed the gun down at the ground just before it went off. Given that didn't deter the goon, I'm surprised Cal didn't take the clear shot after Sarah got in the car, especially considering that the goon had just killed Cal's cop friend.
Flag
It was definitely a warning shot.
Flag
I agree that I think it was a warning shot.
Flag
I guess Cal being a bad shot is somewhat of a story driven plot device. With a rifel + scope like that and at that little distance, he should have been able to shoot him in the head as soon as he pushed Sarah into the car and stood around pointing his gun.
But then I've seen worse plot devices on TV, so I'm willing to accept this one. Also: Cal seemed to be somewhat of a pacifist himself, not wanting to work on / with drones and such.
Flag
I agree about your take on Sarah being a bad mom. I also have no doubt that she loves her daughter to bits and would die for her but she does not know how to be a mother. But I think that's the whole point to her character. She's a mess. She never settled down and took a deep breath and assessed her life. She just took it one day at a time.
As far as what she spent her money on? Well, she must've been staying in a lot of hotels/motels and living on the run costs a lot of money. I also wouldn't put it past her that she was using drugs at some stage.
Flag
I vote for the expensive pants theory.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members