An Orphan Black Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on BBC America (Returning 2017)

Orphan Black S02E06: "To Hound Nature In Her Wanderings

"Who do you trust?" Mrs S asked of both Paul and Sarah in "To Hound Nature in Her Wanderings." It's a simple-enough question, but as is usually the case with Orphan Black, there's not a simple answer because every side presents itself as the right one, with varying degrees of moral ambiguity. What started out as a fun road trip movie that I wished would never end—Helena singing "Sugar Sugar" while Sarah laughed and begged her to stop is a memory I'll cherish forever (and one I've .GIF'd for your pleasure in the notes section at the bottom of this review)—evolved into a story about lies and deceit and how everything is both exactly and not at all as it seems. Which is about par for the course for this show.

Sarah was searching for meaning with regard to the original cloning experiment as she tracked down Helena's Swan Man. The guy was once known as Ethan Duncan—a.k.a. Rachel's dad—but he's gone by the assumed name of Andrew Peckham (a name that he stole, coincidentally, from an orphan who died at age 2) ever since he switched allegiances and sold information in return for being hidden away (by a mysterious "we") from the prying eyes of the Dyad Institute 20 years ago. The revelation that Dr. Leekie was behind the lab explosion that killed Rachel's "mother" wasn't nearly as surprising to the audience as it was to Sarah, but that's simply because we have the pleasure of watching this mystery unfold over several weeks, allowing us to dissect the meaning of every line uttered and every new piece of information that comes our way.

Of course, we'd already suspected that Leekie was playing things from all angles, working in the name of both science and his own agenda. No one honestly believed he was a member of Clone Club, right? He has an ulterior motive in treating Cosima's illness, and he has a vested interest in the clones, so of course he's going to strike deals with whomever he can. The knowledge that he killed Susan and the rest of her team, presumably because Susan and Ethan were going to leave and raise Rachel as their daughter and not a lab experiment, makes Leekie both a jerk and a murderer, but it's not as if this new development was mind-blowing. 

Now, the events of Orphan Black are happening to Sarah in a more constrained timeframe than the one in which we're experiencing the show—I don't know how long it's been since Sarah witnessed Beth's suicide and discovered she was a clone, but it definitely hasn't been that long—so to Sarah, this news is Shocking Item Number 75 on what's becoming an endless list of revelations and complicated mysteries. There's also the fact that last week, Sarah agreed to find Peckham for Leekie, in exchange for Felix's freedom and Cosima's continued treatments. Can she knowingly hand Peckham over to the man who killed Peckham's wife and keep a clear conscience?

So much of what drives Sarah is her own natural instinct to survive, and her history of putting her own wants and needs above those of everyone else. It's not just because she's a selfish human being (which she totally is, as she takes her relationships with people like Felix and Cal for granted, but that's a problem for another day); it's because she's human. She's on a mission and nothing is going to stop her from achieving her goals. She's been thrown into countless situations where she's been forced to decide whether it's worth sticking her neck out for others at the risk her own plans and desires, or whether she should just keep chugging along on her own. And we saw an example of that this week when Helena was arrested after a bar fight, and Sarah called Art and asked him to deal with the mess while she tracked down her lead on Peckham. 

It sure is nice having so many people to rely on to do the things you don't have time to do, though it paints Sarah in a poorer light than perhaps I'd like. However, we now know that Helena has willingly returned to the Proletheans because they promised her children—which we learned early on in the episode was something she wanted—so maybe I'm a bit biased in my opinion of how Sarah dealt with this particular development. I mean, she'd just spent some time bonding (okay, "bonding" might be too strong of a word, but I'm sticking to it) with her twin, and she couldn't even be bothered to help Helena herself? 

On the one hand, I like that the series has deviated from the norm here—most shows would've had their heroine take a detour from her original search to rescue her friend, which in this case would've given Peckham and Mrs. S time to flee to parts unknown. But on the other hand, Orphan Black is nothing if not steadfast in Sarah's ability to focus solely on her mission. We've seen her make detours for people she cares about (Felix, and even Paul), but she's not a card-carrying member of Team Helena just yet. Helena knows this: "If you knew where Swan Man was, you'd leave me behind," she told Sarah. So I suppose it's really no surprise that Sarah asked Art to deal with Helena. Sarah sees Helena as a weight that's holding her down, even though she's the reason Sarah was able to track Peckham in the first place. So I have to wonder how long Sarah's going to be able to pretend that Helena isn't useful. How long until Sarah has to treat her like a real human being and not just a half-feral child? 

While Sarah was searching for Peckham and Helena was making out with Suits' Patrick J. Adams and getting arrested, Cosima's DNA-sequencing buddy Scott was accepting a job at Dyad in order to better study the clones. Yes, it turns out he knows they exist, but he isn't aware that Cosima is one of them. And he discovered something kind of interesting! I won't even pretend to understand anything having to do with genetics and STR loci, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night I do know what familiar markers are and I can definitely grasp thee significance of questions like, "Whoever you cloned, do they have a female relative? Like a niece, or even a daughter?" 

It just so happens that we do know a clone who has a daughter. We also know that said daughter is special, and that she survived being hit by a car with few, if any, injuries, which raises the question: Is Kira the answer to saving the clones? Also: How did Dyad come to be in possession of these stem cells? Also also: Will this new information backfire on Delphine when Cosima inevitably discovers not only the truth, but the fact that Delphine concealed it from her? Like I said above, everybody was lying to everybody in this episode, and it's not as if we should be all that surprised by this newest revelation—Orphan Black is built on lies and characters who only tell you what they want you to hear. But Delphine has to realize that keeping this secret from Cosima is going to end badly, right? Cosima might never fully trust Delphine because of Delphine's association with Dyad, and even if Delphine has good intentions in hiding the truth, Cosima isn't likely to respond kindly once she finds out. She might have feelings for Delphine, but Sarah and Alison are her family; once she knows what's really going on, Sarah's likely going to be her first call. And hell hath no fury like a pissed-off Sarah Manning.

Elsewhere, Vic the Dick made his first Season 2 appearance when he showed up as a patient at Alison's rehab clinic. He had me fooled all episode as he spouted off nonsense about anger being a tool and all that Buddhist mumbo jumbo. There I was, thinking he'd honestly become less of an asshole, but then we learned that he's working for Angie to get dirt on Alison in exchange for having the charges against him dropped. Vic has always been an interesting character, and one that I've certainly enjoyed, but I can't say I've missed him. His purpose in Season 1 was to serve as a physical representation of Sarah's past, as he chased her and threatened to expose who she really was when she was masquerading as Beth. So it makes perfect sense that he's been MIA for awhile, with Sarah running further and further from the life she once knew. But now he's cooperating, albeit begrudgingly, with Angie to expose Alison's—and Sarah's, and Cosima's, and Rachel's—secrets. Of course, little does he realize that he already knows the truth: Alison told him they were clones, but like most people, he didn't believe her. How long until he figures it out? And is this the beginning of Vic's reintroduction to the series? Will he ever become an ally, or will he just be a liability?

We're now more than halfway through Orphan Black's second season, and that sound you hear is me crying as I come to terms with the fact that there are only four more episodes left. It's hard to predict how this season will end, or even to guess what its endgame is, because there are so many variables bouncing around and so many characters following different paths. Outside of the scenes with Sarah and Helena, there haven't been many moments involving two or more clones, and I assume that's at least somewhat intended to take some stress off Tatiana Maslany, but all of these storylines have to converge at some point. I hope that happens sooner rather than later. 

Especially because, while it's darkly funny to see Alison struggle with rehab, Orphan Black needs to break her out ASAP and get her involved in the rest of the ongoing plots, before she languishes too long in a C-story. We've made some progress with regard to Cosima's illness, but she's still in the dark about the most recent discovery, and most of her conversations with Sarah are taking place via Skype or telephone. Now that we're at least over the hump of the season, I'd like to see the show move a little faster in each episode. I want to find out more about Cal, especially since he and Kira were both absent this week. I want Paul to make a decision about who he trusts and whether or not he's willing to choose a side. I want to know more about Mrs. S, because she's still mostly shrouded in mystery. 

That's not to say that I don't have complete faith in Orphan Black's writers to follow through on each and every one of these storylines; I just don't want to reach Episode 10 and have every single plot suddenly and magically come together. So far, the series has proven itself to be every bit as exciting and well-thought-out as it was in Season 1, and that makes me confident in its ability to pull off another near-flawless season. But at the moment, I don't have the patience that Orphan Black is demanding of its viewers. 

CONSPIRACY THEORIES

– The way Paul and Mark discussed Sarah and Helena during the bar scene rubbed me the wrong way. A conversation like theirs on any other show wouldn't normally bother me—in fact, it would probably barely register—but the way they discussed the clones made the clones sound like property, and since that's one of the series' biggest questions, I have to think it probably wasn't an accident. Still, Sarah is not Paul's. Helena is not the Proletheans'. No one belongs to anyone and everyone is their own person. OKAY?

– The fact that Gracie had holes bordering her lips as a reminder that her mouth was recently sewn shut didn't raise anyone's eyebrows at the police department? No one was like, "Hmm, this looks suspicious, and kind of like child abuse, maybe I should look into it?" I've seen some shoddy police work on TV, and it's not like I care all that much about Gracie's wellbeing at this point, but when someone's bad at their job, I'm going to point it out.

– Will there be a Rachel and Peckham reunion this season? Would finding her father make Rachel less of a cold-hearted bitch, or do you think she would consider him weak? Also: The Duncans weren't the only implantation team, which means there could still be a lot more clones out there, right? However, if that's the case, I stick by my previous assertions that any non-Tatiana Maslany clones would be a mistake. 

– "Just like you, I got caught up in a struggle I didn't ask for. Only I've been at it longer so I'm better at it than you." Ouch, sick burn, Mrs. S!

– "Arthur, you beast!"

– Helena was an emotional roller coaster this week. Her singing made me laugh. "I'm very good with children," had me mocking her. "Take me to my babies," left me feeling very sad.

– Yes, I do take pleasure in knowing that a song titled "Sugar Sugar" is one of Helena's favorites.

What'd you think of "To Hound Nature in Her Wanderings"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/16/2016

Season 4 : Episode 10

84 Comments
Comments (84)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Yeah, imagine an army of male clones out there and they all start dating the female clones! WOW!

Just kidding, that would be beyond horrible.
Flag
While painstakingly created, I'm not sure those GIFs to it justice.

Just a reminder, because I know I need one from time to time...there's only one person in the car. Tatiana, you're awesome!
Flag
Enjoyed the seestra's bonding moments and can't get Sugar Sugar out of my head
Flag
They could make a show about Helena eating and singing and sweep the ratings.
Flag
I bloody love this show! And Tatiana Maslany!
Flag
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times Tatiana Maslany is amazing!!!
Flag
I'm sorry, but I had trouble seeing the "Good Intentions" after this EMMY award winning line:

"[..] 'till I blew my dealer, in a bus station bathroom."
Flag
*so ugly and unnecessary
Flag
Helena is awesome, but seriously, did anyone else gag when that trucker made out with her on the bar dance floor? Egh. Doesnt he know the kind of stuff she eats? She probably doesn't even brush her teeth!
Flag
well the alcohol sterilizes it. plus he ate pork rinds too so their breaths matched.

and she probably does eat pretty healthy if she is just eating stuff like sardines instead of preservatives and other chemicals.
Flag
sardines basking in oil and mustard? Lol...no thanks.
Flag
oil makes things go through your system real smooth :D
Flag
More Helena please!

But, yeah, get Allison out of rehab already.
Flag
I look forward to every episode, it's interesting how you can hate a character in one season and love them the next. I love where the writers have taken Helena this season. That bar scene was very smartly written...when I saw the clip of her eating pork rinds it made me laugh. And Tatiana continues to amaze with her acting talent. I can't imagine another actress playing these characters. Orphan Black where will you take us next?
Flag
My favorite episode of the season so far. New developments and ongoing plots woven together in an impeccable manner.

Sarah and Helena shared some nice moments, and you could tell Tatiana had a lot of fun filming these scenes. And then we had a deeper glimpse into the person that is Helena; I liked what I saw. I shouldn't be surprised that Sarah didn't care for her in the end, but somehow I was.
Art and Felix made for a lovely pairing, just as bringing Victor back into the story was done in an organic way (with an extra twist on top). Throwing Cosima's goofy scientist friend at the DYAD also allowed for an interesting new direction.

So there is a darker side to doctor Leekie after all... not surprising. Duncan certainly isn't the man he used to be, all these years must've taken their tool. Wonder if Paul will be changing his loyalties again at the behest of Siobhan.
Flag
I think Sarah likes Helena best of all her clones actually. It also helps that she is her actual twin but you can see that they are the most bonded. Sarah just has a personality of no attachments except for Felix and Kira. Sarah possibly thinks she is the most bonded to Beth of all her clones because its easy that she is dead more so than she is living her life at times.
Flag
I don't know. Sarah talked about Cosima and Alison with real affection in this episode. (Her concern for Cosima's health, her desire to get Alison out if rehab) I think she sees them as her true sisters.
Flag
Sarah has also been running for the police for most her life. Now with the Dyad so many people in high places are looking for her - who can buy any eyes and ears they want - I wouldn't be going into a police station either if someone else could do it more safely. Sarah is of course attuned to saving herself, but I didn't think this was so unfavorable towards her.
Flag
DYAD IS HYDRA brilliant. It was nice to see Paul given a third option, a way out so to speak, Mrs S is the lesser of two evils. Sara and Helena's road trip was fantastic it was a typically sister road trip and Helena singing was priceless. Vic the dick is back :(&. Felix grabbing Arts ass just made me smile. This show gets better and better each week.
Flag
Great to see Helena in this episode as something other than a beast. And, as always, props to Tatiana Maslany. I will never stop saying that.
Flag
This show is so freaking awesome,

Kaitlin, your reviews are great too. You remember so much, and it helps keep track of everything that's going on.
Flag
Yes.. Yes.. many thanks Kaitlin..
Especially as my free to air doesn't have Closed Caption to catch the softly spoken finer points.. DVD release cant come soon enough for me
Flag
The very last thing that I remember watching - that had (somewhat) properly mastered audio - was Serenity (2005). Almost everything else has people whispering so that you can't hear and then explosions ripping through the speakers, like there's no tomorrow (so stupid and no end to this 'trend').

(I've gotten used to holding my hands on the keyboard volume controls, but it's still distracting - having to adjust all of the time, meh)
Flag
The writers seems to be writing a redeeming story about Helena this season and the road trip was one of the ways. We even get to see her date and kiss though it was over fast. We can see the more humane side of Helena.

I do not really get Delphine and the stem cell lab thing. Was it really Kira stem cell and why did Delphine not want Cosima to find out?

I believe both Dr. Leekie and Delphine do want to save Cosima but for different reasons.

This was not the best episode but OB season two has proven it is one of the best show on TV.
Flag
I think because Delphine wants to save Cosima, while the clones all want to protect Kira first. And I'm sure Delphine is scientifically curious. How long has she been working with DYAD after all?
Flag
I might be missing something, but if Peckham is Rachels father, wouldn't he be the father of all the clones since....eh.. they are clones??
Flag
I took him saying his daughter/s because he was the person and his assistant who created the clones. They're his creation. Like a father.
Flag
That's what I would like to know if he is the biological father of them all. However he is only father to one because that is what he choose to be and what he deemed as his. It's like a man that has a child(ren) stemming from an affair but doesn't count the bastard children or care for them, only the legitimate ones with his wife.
Flag
I was under the impression that they "adopted" her. Originally, they were going to take Sarah and Helena, but Amelia went missing.
Flag
Sarah did told him that all his little girls are dying including Rachel but then again he could just be the guy who created them with his wife. The DNA could have come from someone else.
Flag
I liked this episode, but not as strong as some of the others. The lack of Ali and Felix in the main story was pronounced. I wish they would get Ali off of the C storyline too. Also, no Cal and Kira. Now we know why they are called the birdwatchers. And the name Peckham?

Sarah is moving down on my list when she left Helena high and dry. I don't like Helena as much as some do, but to leave her in the police station to get picked up by the Proletheans was a dick move. Calling Art to "handle it" when he has his hands full was also crappy on her part. I can see why they her friends and allies are getting tired of her crap. Also, no call to check on Kira? They could have done that off-camera and make a throwaway line about it.

The so called police letting Gracie walk in with her half healed mouth and not even question it? Nor her credentials. That was shoddy police work.

I thought Paul was supposed to take tail Sarah and Helena and eventually take both of them back to Leakey. Matt Frewer plays such a fun bad guy, btw. Paul should have told the Prolethean to GTFO, not the you get one and I get one crap.

Rachel or Leakey will kill Peckham in the finale. If Leakey kills him, then Rachel just might try to join the clone club.

What did Mrs. S. mean when she told Paul that she was the mom. I like her more and more this season. Paul and everyone better watch their back. Especially when Mrs. S. goes mama bear on their collective asses.

Patrick J. Adams was underused in this episode. Is he going to be back?

More+
Flag
To be fair I believe Sarah doesn't know about the Proletheans yet and just knows she has cop connections and it serves Helena right for getting out of the car when she was told not to.
Flag
Well Sarah leaving Helena behind didn't strike me as all that surprising she is on a mission and she has barely any connection with Helena. Yes she is her twin sister but they haven't spend much time as sisters.
So Vic is alive and being a d*ck once again, cool.
I want the clone club reunited once again! I miss them! *even if it means more work on Tatiana*
It was fun watching Helena having a normal scene with a guy.

Flag
I'm off and on again pissed and impressed with Sara. One minute she's tracking down someone who a super secret and very wealth corporation doesn't even know is still alive, and the next she's letting Helena, the clone who saved her life, stew in jail, hoping a former "partner" miles away can "handle it" for her. I can see why Felix and Mrs S. are tired of her b.s.

Siobhan is such a badass, she scares me even more than Helena. Paul had better tread super carefully.

Helena is such an amazing character! I loved her off-key singing in the car, and her kicking ass in the bar. She and that guy were just perfect together! :D

I wish I could trust Delphine, but she's so dodgy, she has every one of my red flags glowing in the dark.

If Vic isn't very careful, he'll find out exactly how dangerous Allison is. And Art needs to be let in on Angie's pet obsession, she's just not letting this drop. Doesn't she have any other cases she should be investigating??

I hope Helena puts these Prolethians out of our misery.
Flag
I agree with you, Siobhan is very scary. The fact that she hardly show any emotion, except badass, is really terrifying.
Flag
I liked the aspect of "what could have been" in this episode. What would Rachel have turned out like if she'd been raised by the Duncans? How would have Helena turned out if she and Sarah had gone into the black together versus being raised by extremists?

When Sarah talks to Ethan, we also saw a bigger picture of what could have been when she talks about the different clones. Allison as a housewife. Cosima the scientist. They were a science experiment released on the world with consequences.
Flag
I'm not smart enough for this show, you guys. Thank goodness for reviewers to help me understand it. :)

I do appreciate the notes about Sarah, who has been running all her life, who is continuing to run forward and not let things drag her down (even her daughter or her sestra right now). She gets help along the way, and she obviously NEEDS the help, but she sometimes lacks in stopping to thank people for what they've done for her. No wonder Felix gets fed up.

Also, Leekie and Paul and Mark can all go to hell, as far as I'm concerned.
Flag
Still trying to contemplate the episode titles and their provenance with the episode going-on's and it is far beyond my ability to comprehend or decipher like the code in the Fringe scene cuts.

Never trusted Leekie but he seems to be far more sinister than his mild manner projects -murder even?

I hope Mrs S didn't kill Paul :-)

Go Scott! Although I am not sure the stem cells were Kira's, but perhaps some female relative we don't know about.

Was glad to see Vic back but since I never trust anyone who adopts trendy Buddhism to point of meditating in the centre of a basketball court or greeting people with "Namaste" I was rewarded in seeing he was a stoolie for Angie and that she wasn't left on the sidelines either. Vic reminded me of Bradley Cooper's character in Wedding Crashers boasting about his talks with the Dalai Lama and still being a totally self absorbed ass. :-)

Patrick J Adams from Suits a fan of OB [respect]

Gracie and the shoddy police work - funny, I'm sure she had some cover story but yeah the cops might of just been happy to have the family of freaks pick up their "sister" who went John Rambo on their small boring town.

Didn't miss Cal and Kira, don't need to see the sock drama in the mobile home every episode with so much else going on, but then I suspect many people have suspicions Cal must be more than just Kira's father.
More+
Flag
I'm not saying it's necessarily so, but since we didn't see Cal and Kira and Leekey did acquire a new female relative stem cell line, we're probably meant to assume Cal supplied Leekey with Kira's stem cells. Given Cal's previous reaction to the name Dyad, we might be also meant to assume Cal has a history of working for Leekey.
Flag
JORDAN GAVARIS is just awesome as Felix plain and simple,he should win an award just awesome, overall once again awesome awesome episode, the only thing that could have been better was Victor-Alison but the rest awesome Mark and Paul was great both had their priorities, had some small talk then move onHelena was awesome from beginning to end!!! Delphine and Cosima are always interesting , nice job bringing Scott in the mix, and usual Sarah keeps digging and learning !! for Mrs S MYSTERY
Flag
Poor Helena. Sarah didn't ditch her, but she was too busy to save her herself. Unfortunately, Helena won't see it that way. However, I think that Gracie may try to come around on Helena.

Paul and Mrs. S: I wonder how she knows about what he did in Afghanistan. She seems to be in the know about nearly everything, yet is in the dark about a lot.

Finally, Vic better watch out. Angie sent him after Alison, who may be the most dangerous clone next to Helena.
Flag
Great review (esp. in the unbalanced relationship between Sarah & Helena, karaoke impromptu notwithstandng) for another great ep. of Orphan Black!
  • I love everything Felix like this week's sadder soundtrack vs. Tears for Fears' last week's date... And yet, Felix could find the silver lining in... Art's firm butt... Awww Felix... He is the light of this show when things go a bit dark... On the basis of this, he is my only other candidate to have a clone... preferably only one just to keep the madness contained...
  • I am with you that Paul descended to new levels of hatefulness in that conversation with creepy neologist... Their easy conversation was disturbing but it was a good reminder of the Neologist's original presence inside the Dyad (which we conveniently learnt about this episode too
  • Vic fooled me too (good job show!) but I hope he'll eventually side with Allison and her doilies...
  • I hope the 'Helena babies' story line stops before she gets pregnant... or any of her eggs get someone pregnant...
  • I enjoyed seeing Suits' Mike Ross here... Helena is a more interesting 'girlfriend' than Suits's Rachel that is for sure...
Flag
Just for a moment when vic got into the car,i thought he was the new moniter.(flashback,season 1 finale)
Flag
Love this show, its just soooo well written and prove that a good writing staff is the core of any show!!!
Flag
This show, this show!
Felix & Art as the Odd Couple?
'Take me to my babies' was the most emotional line of the episode, followed by Sarah admitting she needed Cosima, as indeed do we all! That's one plot point I would like answered this season please. #savecosima
Siobhan again showing her real badass credentials.
The only bad thing is that we're in the home stretch of the season.
Flag
Help me understand, please: How did Mark and the Proletheans find Helena (and Sarah)? They followed Paul?

Related: How did Paul find the twins' campsite?
Flag
What seems most likely to me is that the Prolethians' ranch is nearby. I mean, rural town and church is religion + former clone lab? Some of them are probably always in town (day jobs), saw Helena in the bar and called it in. Remember also that "red sister" shows up very quickly at the police to collect Helena.
Flag
Paul has been following Sarah since she made that meeting with Leeky in the bar to get Felix out of jail and if you consider the Proletheans are familiar (or even offshoots) with the Dyad institute they were likely keeping tabs on it's main players. If it came to their attention through whatever means of the horrible mess of Daniel left in Rachel's apartment they could likely guess the culprit. Follow the Dyad players from that apartment and you get Paul acting as the new Daniel and he leads you straight to your target.
Flag
From Mrs. S first words to Sarah (something about shit attached to her shoe), Paul is pretty adept at following Sarah around without her noticing so I am guessing that is how he found the campsite.

As to how Prolethean Mark found Helena at the bar, I hate to say this but I suspect Paul or Rachel gave him the heads up. Perhaps Dyad and Proletheans are allies sometimes?
The other option is that while being held prisoner, the Proletheans put some gps tracker on Helena?
Flag
no idea on the proletheans, but Paul has been following Sarah since she left the bar with Leeky.
Flag
Sarah's interactions with both Cosima and Helena were amazing. She cares about them more than she has let on. I hope her and Helena come together again, and I'm still interested in seeing scene between Alison and Helena.
Flag
Yes, and I think Sarah's words 'we are stronger when we are together' may hold more meaning than the generic one... perhaps related to all that cryptic genetic stuff that sounds like Martian to me...
Flag
Loved it! Another great episode. This show is SO GOOD!
Flag
Last season I enjoyed watching Helena. She was just so different from any other character I've seen. But this season, I have absolutely fallen in love with her. I am so glad that the writers decided not to kill her. She is now second only to Alison of course. I love "Sugar, Sugar" and Helena singing it was the best, and it was so amusing that Sarah had no interest in the song. I really love it when Sarah and her are working together. I feel like Helena is at her best when other people see her as human instead of just a messed up clone.
Flag
Helena is great, Tatiana played her naivety in the bar spot on - down to her uncontrolled spurts of laughing and liking the sweet talking from her "boyfriend".
While she can just as easily sniper her own clones (trippy), kill, break fingers and gouge eyes and then turn around and still have me in tears with her desire to be just be simply loved and have a family is testament to the quality of the show and the acting.
Flag
Any non-Tatiana-Maslany clone is, by defintion, not a clone. So I don't see that happening.
Flag
I'm sure it's meant that Tatiana Maslany's characters are cloned from Subject 1 but other groups would have Subject 2, 3, 4, and so on. they'd be different actors playing different sets of clones.
Flag
Felix fans still have hope their wishes for him to be a clone would come true.
Flag
Well that'll never happen. Things are complicated enough with the first set.
Flag
Battlestar Galactica flashbacks!
Flag
It was decent. At least, it wasn't a filler but then Canadians watch it on Space too. :P Haha, I like the bar scenes. She's so bad! :P
Flag
Now, I don't know if it is maybe because I probably am fairly self involved myself, but other than not getting Helena out of jail, I don't have a huge issue with Sarah (I can also be fairly single minded, it is somehow I found myself in law school). In a weird way, she and Emma for OUAT have similar issues that I get (orphans, not knowing who they are, constantly looking for something, home as OUAT beat about our head, that they don't know what it is and just keep running). But I found myself feeling very sort of sad while watching the Sarah/Helena scenes, like that is what they would have been like when they were twelve if they had been able to live together. Which now gets me sadder that the Duncans didn't get them both, even if Dyad had stolen them, it still would have been different with them having each other.

I guess I am not surprised by Leekie being behind the Duncans issues, I didn't seem him being the destructive force (but honestly, I forgot about the Neolutionists since we haven't heard of them since last season) in the way he was. I was more seeing him care so much about the clones that he ultimately decides to destroy them. Or something.

So, if I followed the cryptic conversation between Siobhaun and Paul correctly, she was offering him and in to her "we" correct? I don't know...the last people you brought Kira to turned out to be bought out. I have a feeling that she is used to dealing with Tomas types and hasn't actually dealt with the force that Henrik seems to represent. It was interesting that was the first time we saw Paul have a reaction on his face because he has been super poker faced since at least the last time he and Sarah faced off in the first episode. That conversation between Mark and Paul was weird too, but they both also seemed to be playing each other like using each other's terms to keep the other at arm's length.

I do envision we get synthesis of the storylines by Episode 8 (that is when Kira got hit by the car, so it was when Sarah introduced Alison to Siobhaun (my college roommate's younger sister's spelling of her name) and Cosima, I think kicked Delphine out.

I don't know who the stem cells came from. I know besides the ones in our umbilical cords that you still have them when you are little for some time (this is entirely from magazine articles) in a way that they are accessible, so the easy answer is that there is some way they got some blood or whatever from Kira when she was in the hospital, but that is not where my mind went. My mind went to perhaps some stillborn or they have like a brain or something. I guess I am just thinking how dark this show could get.
More+
Flag
We can now create stem cells from adult donors. It is basically a form of cloning. They remove the genetic material from an embriotic cell, and inject the genetic material from the donor. We have already successfully done this in the real world (yes humans have been cloned in the real world). No suprise that they have been able to do it in a show about human cloning.
Flag
So we are back to who it came from. I thought of a interesting synthesis of story. That the stem cells come from Helena's fertilized eggs. Which likely means Leekie and Henrik are working together and Dyad doesn't know it. And come to think of it the show went out of its way to talk about Henrik as different and more modern. I wonder if this philosophy is basically Neolutionism.
Flag
What in the hell was Patrick J. Adams doing there? Friend of show? Wandering by the set? In need of crack money? He has a hit show and just did a Mini on a major network. Anyone know the backstory to all of this?

Until I read it here I didn't actually believe that was him. Just some look alike.
Flag
I see that you have already figured most of it out, but I'll contribute the actual tweets that he made a bit less than a year ago:

#OrphanBlack is a masterclass in all things television. I’m a better actor after watching Tatiana work. #seriouslyletmegueststar

Tatiana Maslany not getting nominated for an Emmy is like breathing not being nominated for important thing to do.

These tweets got a lot of attention when he made them. I think it also made the news when he got the part, but I had forgotten about that. I just remembered the tweets, so I LOLed when I saw him there, and then again when he made out with Tatiana.
Flag
SOmeone has a crush
Flag
My guess is that Suits films in Toronto, too, and Adams was available.
Flag
Makes sense - I think they are in production right now.
Flag
Everyone wants to be on Orphan Black, man! Even Daario Naharis. And the guy from the Leon's commercials.

Flag
Yeah, he's a big fan of the show and would talk about it often. When the producers found out they offered him a part in Season 2.
Flag
I hope it is reoccurring.

Maybe he just has the hots for Tatiana
Flag
Oh, he's a super fan of the show and was like posting vines or something about it all last year and then just started begging to be on the show. I think the Suits people probably told him to calm down but made a phone call and said, just a one off episode appearance please.
Flag
I read he's a Toronto native, so there is a lot of Canadian pride in the show, I assume. Which he should. The best sci-fi out there is now coming from Canada (thanks for cancelling Almost Human, FOX)
Flag
I had to look it up. I thought it was so cool. Here is what I found:

EW: Patrick J. Adams from Suits — who is a big fan of the show — makes an appearance in the bar scene as a tow truck guy who makes out with Helena. Tell me what it was like having him come in to shoot this cameo.
FAWCETT: This is an episode where we just wanted to have a ton of fun with Helena. We always laughed about the idea of Helena getting the chance to make out with a boy. And were kind of like, “Has she ever even kissed a boy before? That sort of began a kind of whole conversation about Helena’s backstory and has she ever slept with a boy? Has she ever been romantically involved? And so it was fun to think about putting her, this awkward weirdo, with a guy who kind of likes her. We really wanted Patrick to come in and do something on the show for us. And when we wrote this part, we all thought of him immediately and thought he would be the best person to put with Helena. I think Patrick knew we were trying to find him something in the show, but I don’t know that he was thinking he was going to get scenes with Helena where he actually had to slow dance with her and make out with her.
More +
Flag
Thanks for that bit of info. I was really surprised to see him on OB.
Flag
all the Helena/Sarah scenes were beautiful from the tent to car. HILARIOUS!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members