An Orphan Black Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on BBC America (Returning 2017)

Orphan Black S02E07: "Knowledge of Causes, and Secret Motion of Things"

Since its earliest beginnings, Orphan Black has been a study of opposition. Sarah versus Beth. Science versus religion. Nature versus nurture. Comedy versus drama. And while we weren't always aware of it, we've been watching The Leekie Versus Dyad Show for a few weeks now—though "Knowledge of Causes, and Secret Motion of Things" brought that chapter of Orphan Black to a close when Donnie accidentally murdered Leekie just moments after Rachel had spared his life. Was Leekie's death bad luck, or was it the handiwork of that fateful bitch named karma? 

From the moment he was introduced in Season 1, Dr. Aldous Leekie was a man of mystery (no, not like that other guy). He was a scientist with power and influence thanks to his position within Dyad and his history with the cloning experiment, but we were never able to predict his moves because he always had his own agenda involving the clones. But it's become increasingly clear over the course of Season 2 that Leekie wasn't necessarily the master of his own design. 

Rachel told Paul in "Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est" that her role in the Dyad Group technically outranked Leekie's as the director of the Dyad Institute. If we want to look at this another way, Rachel personifies the business side of things while Leekie personifies the science side, and the two were locked in a mostly silent battle until Rachel's boss Marian Bowles—played to perfection by the always wonderful Michelle Forbes—stepped in this week with the double-cross. Rachel had the opportunity to meet with her father thanks to Mrs. S and Paul's fluid allegiances, and even after learning the truth about Leekie's involvement in her mother's death, she still chose to let him live rather than standing by and allowing Marian's plan to get rid of Leekie to play out. "It's foolish to spare you, but you raised me," she said without a hint of emotion. "Nurture prevails." 

Nurture may have won this round, but Rachel's cold exterior belies little evidence that Leekie actually meant anything to her. In fact, rather than sadness, I'd almost call Rachel's demeanor one of disgust, probably over what she perceives to be a weakness. But this entire exchange goes deeper than just the Rachel and Leekie relationship, and it raises one very important question in the overall mythology of Orphan Black: Was Leekie ever really the threat we thought he was? 

I'm inclined to say no, that Leekie was just another pawn in this ever-expanding game of chess, but I also don't want to discredit everything that's happened so far just because Leekie was eliminated from the game by someone as ignorant as Donnie, a man who thought he was participating in a long-term sociology study and had no idea his wife was a clone. Orphan Black takes great pleasure in addressing the duality of human nature, and it's never once pretended to exist in a world drawn only in black and white. Instead, the series chooses to live in the fringes—not just of science, but of morality. This theme has been present throughout the series, which is why I found myself feeling conflicted during that final scene between Leekie and Rachel. Leekie wasn't necessarily evil, or completely evil—just like Rachel, just like Helena, and just like every single other character we've come across so far (except maybe Tomas, which would explain why he's now dead).

It's true that Leekie was a villain in the true sense of the word; he was often at odds with the clones, and he procured the tooth Kira lost when she was hit by a car, which is how the Dyad Institute acquired her stem cells that were used to treat Cosima. But he wasn't a villain for just for the sake of being a villain. On Orphan Black, there's always something bigger, something more dangerous and mysterious looming up ahead, and although Leekie wasn't a member of the Clone Club, he did have a vested interest in its members' wellbeing, which sometimes gave off the appearance of an alliance. 

Without Leekie, what will become of the clones now? What does his death mean for Cosima? Will her treatments continue? She was—as I predicted she would be—rightfully pissed at Delphine for neglecting to tell her the truth about the origin of the stem cells used in the treatment, and she even kicked Delphine out of her lab. It was a bit childish, but who hasn't ordered someone out of their private sanctuary for being a big fat liar? Unfortunately, Cosima's still dying, so Kira ripped out her own tooth to help her (that kid is braver than I could ever hope to be). But will Rachel and Marian and the big business of Dyad steamroll Cosima's treatments in another ploy to get to Sarah and Kira? With Leekie out of the picture, will Marian decide that Sarah's not worth the risk she poses and simply attempt to eliminate her? 

This new development raises so many questions about what we thought we knew and where we thought this season was headed; in fact, it potentially changes the entire trajectory of the story. It seems like such an Orphan Black thing to do in Episode 7 of 10 that I don't even know why I was surprised when the gun went off and Leekie's brain matter splattered onto Donnie's car windows. 

Perhaps it was because most of the hour was one of Orphan Black's funnier outings? The quick shift in tone practically gave me whiplash.

Prior to the Rachel and Leekie interaction that set off the final few moments of "Knowledge of Causes, and Secret Motion of Things," I thought this review would be full of praise for the return of the hilarious comedy stylings of Alison and Felix. That, plus a big round of applause for the episode finally giving us what I believe was the first interaction between Sarah and Alison we've seen all season. Orphan Black has purposefully kept the clones apart this season, giving each one her own storyline, but it looks like they're finally coming together just in time for a spectacular final arc. And someone somewhere must have been reading my diary, because the series even took  things one step further and gave us Sarah pretending to be Alison, which is always a good time.

I should've known better than to think Orphan Black would gift us with a purely comedic episode, but I am definitely grateful it gave us all that it did. Mixing black comedy with Black drama prevents the story from getting too bogged down, and Orphan Black is currently one of the best shows on TV in terms of striking a balance between the two. Leekie's death, while humorous because it was freaking Donnie who took him out, was still a serious-enough development to fill this episode's drama quota, and pairing it with the image of Vic falling headfirst into Alison's craft table—or of Felix lugging an unconscious and glittered Vic through the halls of the rehab facility while trying to hide him from Angie—kept things light. 

The scene with Vic's head bouncing off a wall was equally entertaining, as was Felix's continued annoyance throughout the entire escapade. From "He looks like he was molested by elves" to "Sweet Jesus, I am done with glitter," Felix was back in fine form with the one-liners this week. I much prefer Dry, Sarcastic Felix to Drunk, Angry Felix. 

It'll be interesting to see how Donnie continues to factor into the series now that he's unintentionally murdered Leekie, and I look forward to finding out whether nurture will continue to prevail, or if nature will make a comeback. Either way, "Knowledge of Causes, and Secret Motion of Things" was a fun ride that ended with an exciting set-up for the final three episodes of the season.

CONSPIRACY THEORIES

– Another win for nurture this week came when Nailgun Ken Paul credited Mrs. S as the person from whom Sarah inherited her "knack for burning things down." It's too bad Sarah still doesn't trust Mrs. S, which is understandable given Sarah's inability to trust people in general, but it's no less frustrating. When is she going to get it through her head that Mrs. S is an asset and on her side? They have the same goal—to keep Kira safe and out of Dyad's hands—so why can't Sarah just accept it and take Mrs. S's help?

– "My father sends his regards" gave me flashbacks to Game of Thrones; if someone doesn't do an Orphan Black/GoT mash-up I'm going to be very sad.

– Cal's going to figure everything out on his own, right? He's a smart-enough guy. He's going to figure everything out and come swooping in a few episodes from now like some old-fashioned hero, RIGHT? 

– "I like pottery." Well, color me surprised, Paul.

– "I can't go to jail, Felix! I don't have the temperament. In the shower, if they touch me, I will cut them!" 

– "No wonder, with those giant banana hands of yours."

– "You selfish manure bag of a man!" 

– No Helena this week. Uh-oh.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/16/2016

Season 4 : Episode 10

144 Comments
Comments (144)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular

Flag
I suspect we are all feeling the same thing here, which is that the Pro clones -- by which I mean the clone club and all of its allies ... not Rachel -- actually have a fair bit of strength but for the fact that they are scattered all about, pursuing different aims, and finding it very hard to trust and communicate with one another. How awesome would a team comprised of Art, Cal, Siobhan, Sarah, Cosima, and possibly Paul be? And if they would only allow themselves to be led by the brilliant and precocious Kira? Hell, they would unbeatable. And Felix and Allison could design their uniforms! And bring Helena home ...

Flag
Re-watching earlier episodes, I'm struck by how awkward Sarah sometimes seems as she tries to impersonate her clones. I'm tempted to think she's having trouble hiding her British accent until it occurs to me that Tatiana doesn't have a British accent. How does one fake not having a fake accent? It's seems kind of mind bending to me but Maslany pulls it off.
Flag
I noticed that too; and the moment it clicked in my brain as to what she was doing was the moment I was in love with this show and the acting talents of Maslany. Mind bending doesn't even begin to cover it.
Flag
Leekie wasn't necessarily evil, or completely evil—just like Rachel, just like Helena, and just like every single other character we've come across so far(except maybe Tomas, which would explain why he's now dead).

Daniel was pretty nasty too, not sure what grey moments he had. :-) That Prolethian leader and the woman/mother who removed Gracie's stitches have yet to convince me of their fuzzy sides as well.
Flag
I always liked Donnie,but that roleplay thing..I love Donnie now:D
Flag
I had a feeling Donnie was a clueless numpty :-)

Got to love Helena, I think The Hound needs to get her a couple of chickens, the poor girl's starving.
Flag
Mr. and Mrs. Hendrix - the couple of accidental murderers
Flag
Another Felix gem: "No, darling, I thinks Sarah's right. This kind of cluelessness can't be faked."
Flag
How has no one (and by " no one" I mean the latest four reviewers and Kaitlin) mentioned the fact that not only were we given Sarah pretending to be Alison, but we were also blessed with Sarah pretending to be Alison pretending to be Donnie. "And I'm being Alison being Donnie?" If that wasn't a major meta moment, I'm not sure what one would look like.

And the look Sarah gives Felix when Vic goes, "Those guys are not you. I'm you." What a loaded line: telling a clone, "I'm you." I swear this show says more in the looks between the characters than it does through its dialogue.

It's just so. damn. good.
Flag
Agreed. Moment of the episode for me.
Flag
Great review and great episode - Orphan Black is in fine form even if Leekie's disappearance casts a doubt about how the science in the show will get explained now? And who will run the monitor team?
  • Kira is adorable and brave - That selfless impromptu tooth extraction? Awww....
  • Am I the only one thinking that Kira would have been safer staying with daddy Cal?
  • You'd think it would get repetitive having Sarah pretend she is high pitched Alison and yet, it was hilarious again...
  • I missed Helena... Especially because I worry about what is happening to her at the crazy farmers farm
  • I sniggered when Paul admitted his fondness for pottery - A Ghost fan I detect?
  • I sniggered again when Michelle Forbes character turned out to be called Marian, so close to Maryann that crazy character she played in True Blood Season 3 (just when things started to go to hell)
  • I found it slightly hard to believe Donnie would not suspect anything amiss with the 'social experiment' but at least that opens the door now for his being an ally of the clone team as he could redeem himself?
Flag
Given his pure idiocy and incompetence, would the clones really want Donnie as an ally?
Flag
I mean he can stand up to torture so....maybe?
Flag
You got me there! Great point... But Alison and Donnie do seem to love each other and their kids so it does feel as if he'll be on their side... Whether he ends up being an asset or a liability, I am with you, very unclear...
Flag
Really enjoyed the Alison/Felix/Sarah scenes...but I have to say Im a tad bit disappointed in some aspects of the series. I was hoping we'd get more of Rachel's narrative. I didn't really feel much when she met her father, or when Ms. S (who I honestly believe is wearing out her welcome at this point, although I do commend her having guts) went to Leekie, or the whole plot behind this episode. I just didnt enjoy it as I would have liked. In a strange way I feel like there's too much going on in the episodes, particularly this one.

Just saying it would have been nice to spend more time with Rachel in this episode, so that her emotions would come across better. I wanted to see, up close and personal, her reaction to seeing her father again. What did they talk about? Just more humanizing of the character. This is what Orphan Black does best, humanizing and fleshing out its characters and I was really looking forward to seeing that with Rachel. It would have made her interaction with Leekie at the end a little more profound and suspenseful.

Leekie is an idiot. Never chastise the guy who's holding you at gunpoint. Even if he is a clueless buffoon.
More+
Flag
Watching Vic's face hit the craft table was both horrific and hilarious. As usual, OB pulled it off perfectly.

But I thought Sarah's impersonation of Allison was less than convincing. The fact that they are actually the same person never really occurred to me, so maybe my criticism is a little ... what ... meta?

And Michelle Forbes! Been in love with her forever. Particularly liked her character in Homicide: Life On The Streets. Does that woman never age?

Poor Donnie, the hopeless dupe, the bull in the china shop. "Now who are you doing," he asks. His life is actually very important, but it's unlikely he'll ever know that. As Leekie said, he'll be a footnote ...

Flag
Vic can break my heart and yet seeing terrible things happen to him over and over in this show never stops being funny. The gloves for the missing finger - hilarious and his memory of Paul nail-gunning him.

Yeah I always like Michelle Forbes, though is she missing a mole on her face? Gone to the same surgeon as Spacey perhaps.
Flag
I noticed that! The mole was so distinctive and so much part of her persona. Medical reasons, perhaps?
Flag
I apologize if it's been said before. But I couldn't help thinking of Pulp Fiction when Donnie shot Leekie, then my mind wandered to what he'd do, call some sort of cleaner... Then I snapped back to reality, or rather out of that superfluous fantasy.

I think because finding out that Mrs. is isn't exactly what she's seemed all these years has really thrown a wrench in Sarah's life. Since she trusts so few people and she doesn't trust easily, it's gonna take some time for her to get back to that place. But I don't think she's ever going to see Mrs. S the same again. I mean she was always this gentle foster mother type figure and now she's involved in conspiracies, keeping information from her, and she's also somewhat of a badass.

I was actually glad that we had a little more comic relief in this ep. Usually it's tone is much more consistently serious.
Flag
We need a "Dead Scientist Storage" sign.
Flag
Same here; definite Pulp Fiction homage.
Flag
I meant to say "Mrs. S isn't"
Flag
I loved this episode, the mixture of funny and deadly was so spot on. Allison's response to Vic the dick's betrayal was perfect. He's lucky she's not anywhere near a garbage disposal, a gun or any other kind of heavy implement...although I guess a table full of glitter does count. And I really didn't expect Donnie to care so much about Allison, though it does put his experience with the glue gun in a whole new perspective. He put up with actual torture for a sociological experiment? That actually shows a strange devotion to Allison (for staying with her despite the torture), or an unseen masochistic tendency that borders on the bizarre. And I loved that Donnie accidently killed Leekie happened right after Leekie called him a footnote. At first I was startled, but then I cheered.

I could watch Felix, Allison and Donnie interact for an entire episode, they're pure comedic gold.

I just don't understand Sara's distrust of Mrs S. For so many years she Siobhan kept Kira and Sara safe, why would that change just because Sara's now in the know? Yes, there are lots of secrets that have been kept from Sara, but I think that we've seen that there was good reason to keep them secret too. It was Sara impersonating Beth that caused Dyad to find out about Kira in the first place. Siobhan had stayed on the down/low for so long that Sara wasn't even on the radar, much less Kira.

I miss Helena's character, but not the Prolethian storyline.

I didn't see disgust when Rachel talked to Leekie after being told to kill him, but I did see a lot of hurt, anger and even a bit of love. I'm more concerned with this new character Marian. She quickly noted that Sara's the reason a lot of the messes that Dyad's been dealing with, and she looks to be moving quickly to contain the damage. I think Sara has more to fear from her than anyone else so far.

Cal's still an unknown, but he's rapidly becoming my favorite character after Helena and Felix.
More+
Flag
Yeah, Sarah's paranoia, while justified, is definitely interfering with the general plan ... as vague as that is. It's not just Mrs S she's keeping at a distance, it's also Cal who's a white knight if there ever were one. When you're caught in a cauldron of lies this this, you must decide whether staying alive is all that matters or whether living a life is more important. Since Sarah already has Kira, her motivations are already way beyond mere survival. I suspect we will see Sarah's recognition of that soon ...
Flag
Donnie is the man!
Flag
I felt like this episode couldn't decide between taking itself seriously and diving headlong into this outrageous kind of self-parody. Yes, Orphan Black has mixed the goofy & the serious before, and has done it well, but this time it didn't really seem all that coherent.

I'm not sure if Donnie's reveal holds up on closer inspection, given all that had happened previously. How thick would he have to be, and how much would he have to believe in this little project for him to withhold information from his wife even when she tortured him? And then just have him kill Leekie with the gun accidentally going off... Eh, over the top much?
Also, Allison and Felix sneaking with Vic's body behind all these people without nobody noticing or hearing a thing. Seriously? How much of a suspension of disbelief am I supposed to have? Or that Sarah couldn't have gotten out of her awkward situation much earlier by faking a bathroom visit or some sort of pain? Just played too conveniently and too cheaply for the laguhs.

I like the show's fun bits very much, but I do not like when it compromises its characters and its story just to find excuses to insert these scenes, and that's what they did. What's worse, this sudden grasp at a lot of comedic action cheapened the stronger, more assured happenings of the episode by diminishing them and pushing them aside (Rachel and her father, Siobhan going on offense, Leekie introducing us to a new player, Kira being awesome again, Cal deserving to know the truth, etc.)
Up until this episode I thought that the season was really moving along in a good, assured manner. Too bad this had to be a disjointed bump in the road.
More+
Flag
Yeah. I thought the same. I was hoping we'd get more of Rachel's narrative. I really wanted to see her reaction to reuniting with her supposedly dead father. But the camera's kept us far away from her most of the time. This really should have been Rachel's episode. That would have been awesome character development for her and the series would have been better for it.
Flag
I disagree, simply because I think keeping Rachel's true mien hidden allows for something of a dramatic confrontation between her and Sarah. How that would play out, I haven't a clue, and that's the beauty of it. The only time, prior to this episode, that Rachel showed any strong emotion was when Sarah was about to kill her. She showed real fear, almost terror, and that's the firast time I realized Rachel wasn't just a flesh and blood robot.
Flag
But am I the only one who thinks Rachel actually emoted this episode? She's just SUPER repressed. But even then, the moment when she met her father, to me at least, spoke volumes. One of the greatest things about this show is it's ability to show not tell and I feel like if we had seen all of the meeting it would have cheapened it…I don't know, maybe that's just me.
Flag
And, yes, I jumped ahead of myself there. Even in the brief moments that we saw Rachel meet with her father, the emotional impact was obvious and profound, How they managed to make me realize that so far off camera is a mystery.
Flag
Absolutely. Tatiana may be the best thing since sliced bread, but the other actors are damned good as well. The thespian power in this show is more than impressive .. it's downright magical at times. Hell, I find it hard to wait an entire week just to see Kira again.
Flag
Nothing wrong with creating fully realized villains and humanizing them. That's what makes a show like Justified and outstanding hour of tv. We need more human moments from Rachel. Her learning that her father might still be alive, to her reuniting with him and then of course the trajectory it set her on would have been interesting to watch. Not sayings she should be the star of the hour, but she is a clone, this show is about the Sarah clones, and her having her own personal narrative, just as Helena does, would go a long way. Villain or not.
Flag
I suspect that Rachel, in time, will show enough growth that she won't be simply a villain, or even a villain at all. For one thing she is extremely intelligent (as are all the clones) and like Cosima, prone to critical thinking even at the expense of honest emotion at times. Whatever DYAD provided in the way of motivation has become shakey, at best, and (although I'll admit we have little info as to Dyad's ultimate agenda) she may well conclude that joining with her seestras is in her best interest.

Flag
"I can't go to jail, Felix! I don't have the temperament. In the shower, if they touch me, I will cut them!" One of the best lines from Alison's mouth. The whole glitter incident was just funny pure fun and gave some nice relief oh Vic. I'm liking Paul and Ms.S combo it's working for me now all we need is Sara and Felix on board and where ready to go. I'm still not sure about cal but Kira is a genius a bonafide genius that is one street wise girl.

"I like pottery" ok Paul love it, I can imagin him shirt off spinning clay on his pottery wheel mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Flag
I don't know why they keep pretending Kira is a child.She makes more grown up decesions than all the clones.
Flag
is it bad that I laughed out loud when Leekie got his brains splattered by the bumbling Donnie? I mean I just thought it was so funny because it showed just how inept Donnie is. Also when poor Vic fell on the table, let me just say I feel so bad for the stunt double because god damn that looked like it hurt.

I don't know what it is but I still don't trust Cal. I think maybe he's trying to help Kira but no Sarah. I don't there's just something fishy going on with him and I can't put my finger on it.

I love Alison and Felix's relationship. They play well off each other. I think Alison is kind of the sister Felix hoped Sarah would be. Not the stick up her ass kind but the fact that she needs him and allows him to be useful to her. I think that's all Felix really wants from Sarah, not to be used but to help.

I must admit though I'm kind of sick and tired of DeAngelis. She's a meddler and I'm hoping she gets the same kind of treatment that Leekie got some time soon.

Cosima baby! you're so beautiful when you're angry! You have a right to be angry but damn girl, don't kick your lady love out of the lab, you're gonna need her help evetually!
More+
Flag
Yes. Its very bad. But feel free to laugh. I did. Lol.
Flag
Poor Sarah. She can't even catch a burger with her kid and baby daddy without a clone call. But the role play scene was high comedy and worth the interruption. Best show on Television right now. #Orphan Black
Flag
Orphan Black is already awesome but the addition of Michelle Forbes just more so. This eppy should've been titled "Oops" just for the last scene with Donnie accidentally murdering Leekie. Great eppy.
Flag
Vic smashing his face was definitely the most funny part !

I do not really like Donnie killing Dr. Leekie unlike many others here. It was surprising for sure but it seems too random. I wanted Dr. Leekie to survive and fight back against Dyad Institute and this new Marion Bowles.

I am surprised nobody mentioned this but why was Rachel still working for Marion and Dyad ?

Marion probably order Dr. Leekie to kill her parents, she is Dr. Leekie's boss after all. So why is Rachel still working for her? Does she already know the truth about her parent's death and sided with Marion? That would spell trouble for her dad.

How could Marion trust her if Rachel does not know?

So it seems Rachel is a cold hearted Villain ?

I am glad they answered the question of how they get Kira's stem cell.

One of my favorite thing about Orphan Black is that they do not leave us hanging on. Answering questions as fast as they raised them.

Flag
A very fun and interesting episode. Allison and the rehab facility, literally everything that happened their made me laugh.

Rachel meeting her father was also interesting. You have to wonder what is going to come from that.

The one thing I am really interested to find out is, who exactly is hacking in on Cal's laptop. I don't think it is Dyad and I doubt it is the Prolethians.

Another fantastic episode and just a great series.
Flag
Loved this episode!! Vic vs the table was hilarious! couldn't stop laughing at the end and no seestra Helena which sucked! wanted to see what was going on with her.
Flag
Overall I loved the episode.

I did have one question... Donnie thought that he was taking part in some sort of a long running sociology study. Yet a few episode ago he was enthusiastically spying his wife when she went to see the grave of the woman. And he was informing whoever the hell he answers to in real time. Like calling them FROM the grave yard... Hard to believe that Donnie would have been so into this sociological study that after years of marriage he's still giving reports in real time... But that's just a minor problem and it might have an answer that I just missed.

I love Vic by the way. Or maybe I just love the actor. Michael Mando was the poster boy and the voice actor of the secondary antagonist of Far Cry 3 (and criminally under-used for that), Vaas.

I'd love it if they gave Vic some sort of a redemption arc. Not a big one so that he doesn't steal too much screen time from the clones or anything. Something else than the constant butt-monkeying. But that's just a wish! I am loving this season!
Flag
Donnie isn't bright. You could have likely told him it was a study on tooth decay and he would have done the same thing.
Flag
So a footnote aka Allison's husband killed Leekie. But, we saw Marian and I think she seems more dangerous for the Clones. And I'm glad to see Michelle Forbes, the show needs more strong female character. Don't get me wrong, T. Maslany do a great job. But we need a real nemesis for The Clone.
Flag
I'm sorry, I just can't let that slide. "The show needs more strong female character"? Sarah, Kira, Cosima, Mrs S, Rachel, Angie ... need I go on? It's most of the male characters who are weak in this series, and that's a refreshing change.
Flag
Right. All the male characters are really secondary. Look at Paul. He's gone from being Leekie's btch to Rachel's lapdog. He just stands there for the most part. Just look pretty Paul. Its really all you're good for. That and S&M.
Flag
After thinking about it, I am wondering if Leekie's death, while very funny and unexpected; was not also a more serious statement in the actual discussion over gun control laws.
Flag
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Well, not so much in this case ... nor in a thousand others. Accidental is loaded word ....
Flag
I think it was a commentary on how people should keep their finger off of the bang switch and accidents like that won't happen.
Flag
I think it was also a serious statement about not being a jerk to someone who is pissed off at you; especially if said person holds a deadly weapon.
Flag
Lol
Flag
I really love this series it always makes me say "Wow I didn't saw that one coming" God Leekie's death was kinda obvious but Donnie being the shooter? Nop, that was so amazing and off putting. Loved it.
And yes Sarah playing Alison is all time favourite, and Alison and Felix working together it is a delight and a treat sent by the tv gods.
Kira is brave, when I was a child I tried to do the same trick and I couldn't mostly cause the thread kept falling loose but also cause I was scared of the pain.
No Helena this week! I hope she appears soon.
Hot Paul is looking kinda pale, can someone give him some tanning sessions?
And only 3 episodes left!
Flag
When the clones left Donnie in the room, the look on his face made me assume that he was going to confront either Leekie or the Dyad institute's front door. And that either
A) He dies, underestimating their danger
B) He kills someone, on purpose or by accident

When we saw him approaching Leekie, I figured Leekie would die.
Flag
I expected the confrontation, just not the result. I simply couldn't imagine Donnie as a hero.
Flag
Even without one of the most interesting character, another spectacular hour of Orphan Black.Just shows how rich the show has become.I did miss her though.BTW, shocking how anticlimactic leekie's death was.As if donnie wasn't loathing himself enough already (the whole reason behind him seeking leekie, an outlet for his guilt and anger,kind of ironic really !)
Flag
(Fir/1)st half was boring, but the (seco/2)nd half was good. Haha, the ending! Oops. Next week's episode looks good!
Flag
Interesting that Donnie, of all people, basically took down one of the show's biggest villains. And, right after he was called a turnip and a footnote.
Flag
It's weird that TV.com put Donnie accidentally shooting Dr. Leekie as a WTF this week when to me it was a FTW, it could have been a FTWTF at the very least!!
Flag
Staff
That was me (obviously). I submitted it as a WTF because I really liked Leekie's character and when it was freaking Donnie who killed him, I was like WTF really? DONNIE?
Flag
I get it but I mean his face after was just so "Holy crap, what did I do?" that I couldn't stop laughing and the fact that someone so out of the loop killed him was awesome. I think the fact that we didnt see it coming that Donnie would be the one to kill him was another reason that the show surprises and wows us and that deserved a FTW.
Flag
This episode was amazing!!! My favourite of the season so far!!! I mean we had Kira being the bravest, cutest little kid, Cal being sweet and smart, Felix and Alison escapades and of course my favourite thing in the entire world is when Sarah pretends to be Alison!!!!!
Oh and Donnie accidentally shooting Leekie, that was awesome!!!
Flag
I hope we are done with Angie and Vic. I have little patience for either of those characters and it feels too separate from the rest of the story.

I missed Art this episode. He is really growing on me and seems to be an asset to the clones.

Cal is still a favorite and him with Kira is adorable. More of them two, please!
Flag
I didn't know Michelle Forbes had been cast on the show, what an awesome surprise! But... that can only mean serious trouble for Clone Club. I agree that Sarah needs to make up with Mrs S soon, they need her more than ever.
Flag
I was laughing so hard when Leeky got shot it was so funny. Oh the irony LOL.
Flag
I know I was so shocked but I couldnt stop laughing!!!!
Flag
It was the look on Donnie's face, it was just priceless he's such a dummy
Flag
It was definitely karma for Leekie. He was manipulative, and one of the manipulated killed him. By accident, of course, and in the silliest way ever, but still.

With Leekie gone, however, the mess just got bigger. Once his body is discovered, Dyad will suspect either Sarah and the gang or the crazy religious people, making the war bigger.
Flag
Oh how I love this show...

Dr. Leeky's fate is so fitting: they guy that wanted to run a totally controlled science experiment was taken out of play what was essentially a random accident. That's irony for ya. Oh how I laughed !!! :D

The other thing this "accident" accomplishes is that Donnie no longer has any leverage on Allison because murder basically outweighs drug use when it comes to family court. One can also suspect the first person he calls is Allison and therefore the Clone Club in order to help him out. With that they might gain an ally.
When Allison stormed out of that room and left Donnie behind, you could just tell on his face that he was going to go do something insane. The final outcome of that was just pure comedy to me.

Vic the dick just can not catch a break can he? I sort of feel sorry for him - but at the same time I love his story line. This stuff at the rehab place was just awsomely funny.
Flag
Putting the words "Donnie" and "ally" in the same sentence is the height of irony. Although there are precedents. The Nazis had Mussolini's Italy as an ally. We all know how well that worked out for the 3rd Reich.
Flag
Interesting analogy...

ok, maybe the club jost lost.... not even an enemy, but maybe has one less bug buzzing around it's ear. :D
Flag
Don't get me wrong. I love Donnie. But the notion that he could actually help the clone club, short of being red shirt cannon fodder, stretches one's credulity even in this somewhat incredible circumstance. Comic relief, however, he may provide in ample quantities ...
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
The other thing this "accident" accomplishes is that Donnie no longer has any leverage on Allison because murder basically outweighs drug use when it comes to family court.

But, they have both killed...
Flag
Ah, Donnie would have let her come home anyway. He's just that cute and clueless. What will be amusing is to see how Donnie adapts to a situation in which even Allison barely treads water. The poor guy is about to stumble through the looking glass ... shoulda taken the blue pill, Donnie.
Flag
Well yes, but Donnie doesn't know about that and therefore can't use it against Allison.
Flag
Let me just say this:
Dr Leekie you were a bit of an enigma but your death will surely go down as one of TV's best! R.I.P
Like I've said before, Orphan Black has the intentional/unintentional comedy down to a tee. And it's one of the shows greatest strengths.

But seriously, I'm so happy because I've been craving Donnie/Alison (and Felix of course) comedy all season!! Yes, I know the writers had to make them more then just the shows comic relief but remember the glue gun interrogation scene? I crave more of that! And now that Donnie has unintentionally and hilariously committed murder - much like Alison - I can't wait to see how the writers play with it. If they don't team up Donnie with Alison and Felix, it will be such a wasted opportunity. The Three Amigos! Or a Orphan Black version of The Three Stooges!

Either way, I have faith in these writers, they rarely disappoint. I mean the fact that Donnie turned out to be a poor little clueless pawn is already such a huge step in the right direction. Seriously, my heart kind of broke for Donnie in this episode. The actor nailed it!
More+
Flag
I will never look at my glue gun the same way again.
Flag
Or a Donnie, Alison, Felix runaway spin-off. The Band on The Run.
Flag
Lol. Yes!
All three are now responsible or framed (Felix) for murder. I really hope this brings them together.
Flag
So, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to laugh when a character gets shot in the head.... However, Kristian Bruun was so good in this episode it was hard not to!
Vic and the craft table have become my new otp. Awesome gif!
Mrs S continues to be very difficult to read. It's not clear whose side she is actually on. Great writing and acting.
Michelle Forbes..... *sigh* I have been a huge fan from she was a mere Ensign all the way up to Admiral. Cannot wait to see what she is going to bring.
Also a smidge concerned for next week - me no like Cosima haemorrhaging and fitting. At all. #saveCosima
Flag
I think Mrs S is on Kira's side first then on her own side, she is a survivor. She has done her best to shield Sarah from all that mess, and now she is doing the same for Kira. As for her role in this mess, I think that she is doing her best to untangle as much it as she can , but she is by her lonesome, isn't she? I personally like her as she appears to be now.
Flag
Oh Kaitlin! Bless you for that "Vick collides with Alison's craft table" gif. LOL!
As I was watching that hilarious scene, the first thing that came to mind was "Oh man I really hope Kaitlin includes a gif of this in her review." So yeah, THANK YOU KAITLIN!!!! :-)

Regarding your thoughts on this:
"Nurture may have won this round, but Rachel's cold exterior belies little evidence that Leekie actually meant anything to her. In fact, rather than sadness, I'd almost call Rachel's demeanor one of disgust, probably over what she perceives to be a weakness."

No, that's way too easy for Orphan Black. Just because Rachel is guarded doesn't mean that this revelation didn't break her heart. And while there was some disgust (understandably so) it was heartbreak and "I'm-about-to-have-a-nervous-breakdown" pain that I read on her face when she confronted Leekie. She also seemed genuinely distraught at the sight of her frail and mentally unstable father. She now realises that her life was a lie and that she is no longer in control of what happens to her. And she realised that the people she looked at as her parent-figures are as broken as she is. I mean, we barely know anything about her, sure. I just read that Leekie confrontation differently. Rachel seemed heartbroken and angry, rather then disgusted. Surely she felt betrayed (by the one person who understood her no less) more then anything else.

I think that underneath that cold exterior, Rachel is a emotional time bomb. In fact, I think we might be heading for a humanisation of Rachel storyline, much like we did with Helena (miss you!) this season. Yes, Rachel might come out of this more dangerous then Helena ever was but I'm hoping that she'll at least shed some of that robotic/psychotic exterior.

- What is it that made Rachel the way she is in the first place?? Was it just the corporate Dyad upbringing (post her parents death) or was it childhood trauma and/or even childhood abuse?
We saw that her parents were very warm and loving and if it wasn't for Dyads (and by extension Leekies) conditioning and lies, would she have turned out the way she did? Surely if she was raised "self-aware" but had stayed with her parents, she would've grown up to be a much different person.
- Why does she have a ferocious need to protect herself if she feels in charge of her life and the goings on around her?
- What is it that truly motivates Rachel? Is it a simple as ego and narcissism? Or is it the opposite?

Right now, Rachel is the most complex clone. Nature vs Nurture - Where does Rachel fit in? Does that question even apply to her since she's so far on the fringes of humanity?

These are all questions that the show will no doubt address. And man do I love Orphan Black for being so deliciously layered, clever and endlessly entertaining! This show is such a unique gem. We've only have a handful of those type of shows in the last decade. You know, a show that just grabs you and demands your full attention whilst being a joy to experience. I can't recall one episode of Orphan Black where I wasn't fully invested in every plot line. Ok maybe Angies escapades but she's brought a better, hilarious version of Vick The Dick and made him relevant so I have to give her some credit. But yeah, Angie needs to go. However, that is a tiny nitpick in a gold mine of excellence. Those cave dwellers who are not watching Orphan Black are missing out big time!

This is television at it's best folks!
More+
Flag
YES!!! THANK YOU! I couldn't NOT agree more!
Flag
Fantastic episode, despite no Helena ;)

A few things I loved:
*Vic & the table.
*The moment Donnie walked in on the clones.
*Kira ripping our her tooth.
*Rachel - this episode was the first time I haven't hated her!
*The accidental shooting to end - holy sh*t!!!!!!

Interested to see what's coming next week with the reference to Beth - it would be really cool if the cops need Sarah (or one of the other clones) to play Beth to go undercover or something like that.
Flag
" - it would be really cool if the cops need Sarah (or one of the other clones) to play Beth to go undercover"

I immediately thought of Allison and burst out laughing. But she is the thespian, right?
Flag
Sarah the con-artist is supposed to be able to impersonate.
Rachel playing Helena would be pretty impossible.
Or the reverse...
Flag
Anyone playing Helena would require an acting tour de force. Helena playing anyone would require a miracle ...
Flag
This was the best episode of the season, I loved it so much. How can you tell if a show is Orphan Black? If a show has two big secrets (Delphine's and Vick's) and reveals them in the first 5 minutes of the episode than its Orphan Black. Vick's faceplant alone made this episode superb but we also had Felix and Alison, Sarah being Alison, Donnie being brought into the fold, Sarah and Siobhan getting all proactive with the Dyads and so much more and then of course Leekie's shocking death which was so perfect. I'm not worried though, Michelle Forbes as the new big bad (probably?) is a classy move, she who elevated Battlestar Galactica, Lost (briefly), True Blood (when it was actually good), In Treatment and The Killing.
Flag
One of the things I love best about OB is that it really elevates girl power like no other series. So welcome Michelle Forbes. Awesome.
Flag
Yes, I absolutely applaud the writers for the brilliant twists and the pacing of the show.
I agree, I think Michelle Forbes is awesome. You're right, she'll probably be a force to be reckoned with. It's good timing too since Leekie is gone and Rachel is showing more shades of grey and humanity.
Flag
But that preview for net weeks episode! No no no no. Cosima is supposed to be getting better!!!!!
Flag
I think that's just a tease. I think Sarah will deliver Keira's tooth just in time to save her. Or at least I hope so.
Cosima is such a fan favourite, I really doubt they'd kill her off. They need to raise the stakes when it comes to the illness. I mean, it would be too easy if Cosimas illness storyline was resolved that quickly. It's a serious illness that has killed a clone and therefore it's a real issue that might threaten all of them.

But yes, I want Cosima to be ok. She's too good a character to be bed ridden.
Flag
That has killed TWO clones already...
Flag
Jennifer and who else?? Are you referring to Katya? I'm not including Katya because even though she was sick, she wasn't killed by the illness but by Helena.
Flag
hmm yes you're right, but technically, she had it coming.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
You're right, after all this season they have been about pleasing the fans and all that, she is waaaay too popular to go.

:)
Flag
Just get over it and TRUST Mrs. S? Heck no. Let her help? Maybe, but Sarah isn't in the position to go trusting anyone who has shown any hint of having hidden motives, especially not someone who uses shotguns and forks the way Mrs. S does. She's murky as dishwater (great from a character and drama point of view), but to get on Sarah to trust her? Puleeaze. I don't trust her, and IMO that's exactly the kind of dramatic tension the writers have done a great job at creating.

The audience has no idea what Mrs. S' goal is. And neither does Sarah. Temporary alignments based on interm-goals should not entail trust.
Flag
Indeed, it's a credit to the writers that devout fans have such differing opinions as to who can and can't be trusted and to what extent. There's not a single character in OB who doesn't possess some of that ambiguity that comes with being human.
Flag
"...sends his regards"
& death sentence. so GOT !
Flag
Leakey should not have stated that Donnie would only be a footnote in history.
Flag
It's OK... Donnie got him to become more open-minded.
Flag
.. or a turnip ...
Flag
I love the music in this episode.
Flag
btw the song from Love Actually is real?

Flag
Love is all around The troggs.

The smurfs did a version as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HBOIji0S3Q
Flag
"Cal's going to figure everything out on his own, right?"

I certainly hope so! I don't want this to be the last we see of Cal.

How fitting that it be Donnie's clumsiness (if that's the right word) that took out Leekie. And Leekie's brains being splattered everywhere.

This episode had such a great balance of humor and seriousness.
Flag
I think Cal is already there ... he's just waiting for Sarah to let him in.

"We're just going to say it out loud. Your big secret. Sarah Manning, I know this may sound crazy, but I think you are a ... (very long pause) ... Pisces."
Flag
I was filled with glee when Donnie killed Dr. Leekie, not because he was necessarily such a bad guy, which he apparently was (he "intervened' with Rachel's parents), but because his story will be comedy GOLD going forward. Can't you just imagine the antics to hide Leekie's body, get rid of the gun, and to cover up the crime in general? Donnie, Alison and Felix = pure comedy gold.
Flag
Indeed. Hello again, Blood Ties.
(♬ "we will wipe, wipe, wipe away the plasma" ...)
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members