An Orphan Black Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on BBC America (Returning 2017)

Orphan Black S02E08: "Variable and Full of Perturbation"

If nurture was at the forefront of last week's episode, nature, at least in name, was more or less the topic of discussion in "Variable and Full of Perturbation," as Ethan began reading H.G. Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau to Kira, which is something he did with Rachel when Rachel was Kira's age. For those who are unfamiliar with the famous sci-fi novel, it's about a shipwrecked man who arrives on a remote island and finds a scientist—the titular Dr. Moreau—whose experiments involve turning animals into humans. The resulting creatures inevitably return to their most basic animal instincts, like running on four legs or hunting and eating flesh, and the story is a study in identity, morality, and interfering with nature.

Normally, I'd find this sort of on-the-nose metaphor off-putting, but since Orphan Black isn't usually one to bludgeon viewers in this way, I'll allow it. After all, what is this show if not a lesson in the positive and negative outcomes of scientific experimentation? What is this show if not an exploration of morality? This week, Ethan asked Rachel to forgive him for being glad that Leekie—the man who killed Ethan's wife and essentially kidnapped his daughter—was dead, and told Mrs. S that he'd be able to make amends for the part he played in the experiment if he was able to end the conflict between the clones and Dyad by saving Cosima. Rachel, meanwhile, stayed true to her nature as she announced her regret for acing overly emotional in response to her father's reappearance in her life. She requested their relationship remain professional, as if to justify the idea that feeling emotion is a sign of weakness rather than a normal part of human life. 

However, The Island of Dr. Moreau and its themes were present throughout the episode beyond just Ethan and Rachel's fragile relationship. We saw Kira reading Ethan's copy of the book in the episode's closing moments, as the camera panned out to focus on the mobile that'd reminded Kira of Helena, who was MIA again this week. If there's one Orphan Black character who's definitely in touch with their animal side, it's Helena. She lets her emotions and feelings and cravings dictate her actions on a pretty regular basis. 

And then there's the matter of the episode's main plot, which focused on the reveal of a new—and transgendered—clone.

While I'm not shocked the series went there, I'm pleased that it did. Many fans, myself included, have wondered if Orphan Black would ever introduce a new clone, one not played by Tatiana Maslany. I've actively rooted against the notion of a clone with a new face, mostly because I fear that it would somehow make the clones we already know feel less significant. I'd hate to see Sarah, Rachel, Helena, Cosima, Alison, and whoever else we've yet to meet lose their implied uniqueness. Such a development could strip those characters and the story of its newness, of its richness. But adding a transgendered clone brought to life by Tatiana Maslany? My, what a wonderful surprise you've gifted us with this week, Orphan Black!

I don't know that Tony—formerly Antoinette—is my new favorite clone, but he definitely added another layer to the show's ongoing debate about identity, and who and what makes us individuals. "What you're doing here is more complicated than sex or gender," Felix told him, which is true in the grand scheme of things, but doesn't diminish Tony as a character. Genetic makeup does not necessarily define someone, and the fact that Tony is so comfortable in his body, so sure of who he is, only helps to prove it. It's true that he didn't know he was a clone, but he'd been fighting an identity crisis long before he even knew there was an even bigger one looming, which might be why the revelation that he's a clone didn't send him straight to the nuthouse. "There's only one Tony, and you're not me," he told Sarah.

It's one thing for someone like Sarah—who's extremely bold in her convictions, and who exudes so much confidence that it sometimes borders on arrogance—to say that she's her own person. It's another for Tony—who probably spent a fair amount of time not being sure of himself or feeling comfortable in his own skin—to make the same declaration so easily. Tony and Sarah might share a lot of the same qualities ("You are so much like my sister," Felix noted after Tony said something particularly biting), but he's his own person and he's confident in who he is, and I like that Orphan Black chose to tackle the question of identity in a way that goes beyond the clones sharing DNA. It's the perfect argument for the clones being individuals.

While some might have a different opinion of Tony's struggles, I don't know that I'd say he's fighting a more difficult or more courageous battle than any of the other clones, because that would suggest that his war is more important than everybody else's. Sarah is trying to ensure her daughter's freedom while feeling guilty that Kira might be the key to the clones' survival. Cosima is bravely fighting for her life; this episode ended with her coughing up blood and convulsing on the floor. Helena is on a quest to save her unborn children, to fulfill her desire to be a mother. And Alison is doing her damnedest to keep the upholstery clean (okay, and to deal with her ongoing guilt over letting Aynsley die). Can we say that everyone's personal issues are equally important at this point, that no one character is any more important than another? 

Orphan Black's first season focused heavily on Sarah and and her path toward Clone Club enlightenment while revealing just enough about the other clones to give them distinct personalities—for the most part, we only knew them in the context of their relationships with Sarah. But toward the end of the first season, the show's writers began fleshing out each character's world, and in Season 2 they've devoted a lot more time to their individual plights. Orphan Black is definitely stronger as a result, because even though it tells the story of Sarah Manning and why she's special—and we learned this week that Sarah's ability to have children makes her a failure rather than a success, because the clones were supposed to be barren by design—it's about much more than that. It's about our most basic human rights and instincts, and even if we can't relate to what it'd be like to suddenly discover we're a clone, we can identify with the feelings these characters are experiencing on a daily basis, like the desire to be treated as unique individuals or the need to feel like we belong somewhere. 

CONSPIRACY THEORIES

– We always rightfully praise Tatiana Maslany's excellent performances, but can we all take minute to appreciate the work Jordan Gavaris has been doing this season? He was wonderful in Season 1, bringing a certain joie de vivre to Felix that helped illuminate the series in times of darkness. But he's really stepped up his game in Season 2, and he deserves just as much praise as Maslany for unearthing so many layers to a character like Felix, who was a mostly comedic figure at the outset. Not only has Felix become a fan favorite, he's now an integral piece of this complex puzzle. Orphan Black could not exist without Gavaris any more than it could exist without Maslany, and I think this Felix-heavy episode showcased that better than anything we've seen. As she left the loft, Sarah told Felix, "You're the very best of us," and I dare say that truer words have never been spoken. 

– I didn't spend much time discussing Alison and Donnie, but they've now confessed their respective murders to one another. Also, we found out that Donnie's been storing Leekie's dead body in the trunk of the car for the last few days, because he is the worst accidental murderer in the history of accidental murdering! He even returned the murder weapon—Alison's gun—to the box where he found it instead of getting rid of it. It's like he's never watched a single movie or TV show. Come on, Donnie!

– Scott's reaction to discovering that Cosima was the clone was 100 percent perfect. I can't believe how much I've grown to love his character these last few weeks.

– Every episode that passes without an appearance from Helena is an episode where jello goes uneaten, and I simply won't stand for that. But more importantly, Kira asked Sarah if Helena was all right, and Sarah told her yes. Orphan Black isn't one to drop the continuity ball, but as far as I can recall, Sarah told Art to look into Helena's arrest and then we never heard or saw anything more from Art on the matter. 

– Paul was MIA this week, and Rachel was not happy about it. "Paul's a ghost," is what Tony's monitor said. Where is he? What is he doing? Working out? He's probably working out.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/16/2016

Season 4 : Episode 10

94 Comments
Comments (94)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
OK, so I'm not gay. I have no idea how gay people want to be presented on TV. But as a straight man, what I'm seeing is: a gay man whose entirely life revolves around drugs and whoring, two lesbian women with zero chemistry on screen that I'm supposed to believe care about each other, and now another lesbian with an obnoxious manner, who makes out with the gay man. Which, I don't know, seems like a stunt more than anything either character would actually want.

If this show is trying to be "progressive" about homosexuality (as an interview with the producers elsewhere on this website indicated) I don't feel like they're accomplishing their mission. Granted the straight relationships don't really pan out either, with characters like Alison that are just as dysfunctional.

But I feel like, if I were part of an embattled community that struggles for understanding and acceptance, I wouldn't want my primary representatives to be a gay stereotype whose lifestyle is straight out of Westboro Baptist's hate literature, a lesbian couple whose relationship is built on lies and emotional weakness, and an unconvincing transgender with a stupid, grating personality.

It's been a great ride so far, but I think it's time for the producers to decide whether this show is about message, or entertainment. I'll tune in for the latter, but I'm not interested in the former.

I don't know. It's like if a Christian TV show made all the Christian characters insipid, ignorant, science-hating, bible thumping Dawkensian caricatures, and then claimed they were trying to present positive representations of Christians. Good intentions may be there, but it's not exactly evident in the end product, is it?
More+
Flag
It was interesting to see that they introduced a new clone, espescially a trans-gender clone, but even more interesting to me was the fact that they implemented Beth in the story again. One could think that her part in the story had come to an end. Beth has never been a character in the present so I shouldn't be choked that they kind of revived her again, and they still have the opportunity to do so again if they want to. They have used the Maggie Chen character in the same way in the past, so its interesting to see a character develop on screen that have actually never apeard on screen.
Flag
Just watched the episode again…for like the third time. I see that it wasn't one most people's 'greatest' list, but for me, it's one of the more flawless episodes. And by "flawless" I mean I've watched it now repeatedly and am still finding new things and haven't been aware that it's the same actress. (Some of the episodes in Season One, upon second watching were a little more awkward than I had originally thought.)

And the dialogue in this show! Case in point: "Well you've got absolutely nothing I haven't seen before." Says Felix to Tony. Um…ya think???
Flag
I do have to say that meeting Tony made me aware again that all the clones are played by the same person, but that does not mean that Tony won't be fleshed out better later, and I love Orphan Black taking these bold steps in (gender)identity.
I join you in your shout-out to Felix, I absolutely adore him. I went from finding him funny to wanting to hug him all episode because funnily enough, he makes me feel as safe as he does Sarah during all the craziness. You can depend on Felix.
Flag
I have been so impressed, not just with the amazing lead actors and characters but with the writing as a whole, that even when I am unsure of where something is going, I have faith they will come through. They haven't let me down so far: Great character studies, serious philosophical and ethical issues, gender role reversals, multiple genres, lots of highly quotable dialogue, drama and wit.

As far as Tony goes: I had less problem with the facial hair, which seemed about right considering, than the mullet which kept him looking too much like Sarah for me. Sarah has a masculine demeanor and she's a criminal too. So, basically, Tony is Sarah on testosterone. Still, it expanded the range of possibility and was a lot of fun to watch.

I'm excited to see how they bring this all together in the next couple of weeks.
Flag
Yeh I was going to say that about the hair, if he/she wants to look like a man when she's an attractive woman - why keep long hair? I still don't think I'd have liked the character, but if he/she had a shaved head it might have worked.
Flag
I couldn't stop staring at Tony's goatee! Cosima rocks and would love to get baked with her and hope we get to see what's going on with seestra Helena in the next episode.
Flag
I do like the show, but it seems to me the writing is getting kind of sloppy. During the previous week's episode, two pivotal developments in the story were handled by having two of the main characters overhear other characters talking, divulging main plot points. I always thought this kind of plot device was more or less taboo, used only by writers who didn't know any better. Come on--these two characters just happened to be walking by while the other two were basically spilling their guts about secrets they had been so careful to keep hidden. And the big mouths didn't know any better than to spout off about their secrets in a way that they could be easily overheard. Were they just waiting for the main characters to happen to walk by, to reveal their big important plot points?

Anyway, this episode was likewise rather sloppy. The male clone was completely unconvincing. Maslany was just a girl in drag. Does trans mean that the person just has certain parts stapled on and not others? The show creators, it seems, took pains to hide the girl boy's breasts at the beginning, to try to make the girl look more manly. But then, when she/he lies down, there they go, popping up. The whole thing was completely unconvincing. I think the show's creators should have left the male clone out of the story or worked much harder on making her/him seem at least somewhat convincing.
More+
Flag
Don't like Tony for the simple reason that Tatiana Maslany is hot and now I'm having strange feelings... just kidding. What if hot Paul were to get some implants and walk around in a dress for the rest of the season, that would be odd.
Flag
I've come here because people are yelling at me in GOT....

I think I agree with the overall point that this wasn't actually the best episode, but I think it was more because Orphan Black was trying to distract us from the fact that it was actually a set up episode for the end of the season. I mean, you even look at it, so they give us Tony to talk about, but his whole point only had one piece of relevance, that we can go back to thinking about Paul the way we did at the end of Season 1. Only maybe he is even more of a good guy than we were willing to give him credit for (after some thinking, he's a spy for some government isn't he? Presumably the U.S. government since he was in the Marines and it would make sense if Dyad appeared to be doing something suspicious). And given, my memory of Cosima and Delphine's dinner with Leekie in Season 1, she was able to find some research that actually may have raised red flags. I actually have serious doubts that the guys who came after Sammy and Tony were Dyad like Art think, I actually have doubts that it was Prolethians either...like that this might have been just Season 3 set up....

Hey, what on earth is Ethan's game plan here? I really don't trust him. Weirdly, I think I would trust him with Kira, like he seems to maybe be on board with a Mrs. S sort of plan but then he is also sort of treating Sarah with more the kid gloves you'd expect him to treat Rachel with. And he could also be insane. I can get how a person like Amelia or Ethan would initially really like Sarah and be sad they missed out on her life, but I can't help but sort of laugh at the idea that all of these people might have a different opinion once they get a load of her Ukrainian twin.

A random observation, Dyad actually did a really good job choosing monitors for the particular clones. I mean, Alison's world was fairly insulated so, it makes sense they would reach out to Donnie, but the rest like "fit" the lives the particular clone was living. Delphine works in well with Cosima's life (I sort of wonder who her monitor was before), Paul could play the part of Beth's boyfriend very well and look in place, Sammy seemed to match up with Tony whether he was Tony or Antoinette.

Also, I wonder if Amelia and her running away caused the "failure" in Sarah and Helena (and does anyone else when they think Helena's name, think it in the way Sarah says it?) Like that it isn't in fact the default, but something done to the babies in utereo but she ran away before it could be done.

More+
Flag
I've come here because people are yelling at me in GOT....
No. Nobody was yelling, I saw your comment and the replies. Very nice and courteous actually. Be glad you didn't spoil me, I would have yelled for sure.
Flag
Also, I wonder if Amelia and her running away caused the "failure" in Sarah and Helena (and does anyone else when they think Helena's name, think it in the way Sarah says it?) Like that it isn't in fact the default, but something done to the babies in utereo but she ran away before it could be done.

That is my theory as well. Amelia's taking off with the twins left them fertile, which was a big no-no. Basically, Kiera was not supposed to happen. Rachel hates that, obviously.
Flag
It's OB so it's always awesome but this wasn't my favourite episode. To me it seemed the purpose was to start some new storylines/directions which was the case for Alison & Donnie, Rachel, Cosima, & although he didn't appear, Paul.
A few points:
*No Helena again =(
*I was surprisingly put-off with Sarah playing such a minor role here. It just didn't feel right without her being central, or at least secondary but Cosima, Alison & Felix/Tony had stronger stories going on.
*I just started liking Rachel after she showed some emotion & now that's gone again. I wonder if that was the writer's intention here, to mess with us a bit? If so, kudos I guess.
*Normally don't have much time for Cosima but really enjoyed her story, with Scotty & Delphine.
*Did Cosima die?!? (downloaded ep & no preview for next week - which is how I like it.)
*Alison & Donnie's murder confessions - just gold.
*Sorry but I hope Tony's exit proves to be permanent & that he is simply part of introducing a new storyline which might reveal more about Paul. I actually had this worry at the start of the episode that we were expected to believe Tatiana as a man, I actually said to my housemate 'has OB jumped the shark? He, she better be trans!!' I think the writer's could've kept the guy-clone card up their sleeves for a while yet, felt a bit cheap & very out of the blue at the start - at first I thought we were watching a flashback with Beth undercover until I noticed the beard.
*What was scribbled all over the book when Kira was reading? All the secrets?
*Helena next week please!!
More+
Flag
I didn't particularly care for the newest clone. Partly because his introduction and tying into the storyline was so random and abrupt (demonstrating that the writers could throw in a handful of brand fresh clones at a whim, should they so choose), partly because it felt like a gimmick ("we didn't have Tatiana play a male-esque character yet, let's go for it!"), and partly because Tony turned out to just be Sarah in disguise.
Plus the whole thing felt a bit too meta for my tastes, blatantly providing an excuse for Maslany and Gavaris to lock lips (so if you didn't think they would find a way to go there, they just did).

I can understand that they tried to explore a certain vague part of sexual identity that is transgender, but besides some throwaway lines now and then there was no deeper perspective to be found. Until proven otherwise in the future installments, Tony will remain as a redundant twist in my book. Basically just a variation on Sarah, with somewhat similar background (crime-wise) and a number of character features that pre-civilized Sarah undoubtedly displayed often (as confirmed by Felix).

It was good to see Art again, although Helena and Prolethans seems to have taken a back seat at the same time. Along with Paul, who once again may turn out to be more than he seemed? And I still hope to see Cal come back before the end of the season.
Donnie and Allison are just a comic relief at this point that I truly cannot take seriously. So now both of them have unintentional murders on their hands, something to bond over and play psychoanalysis together.
Rachel sure has issues... all that superficial control may only last so long. And I wonder what's the real agenda of Ethan Duncan: his words to Kira of not being anyone's pawn, and him gifting her the book that containted a whole lot of footnotes (not to mention the actual book content having some significance).

If there is one thing I fully loved in this episode, it was Cosima. Okay, perhaps the helium party was a bit over the top, but she was nothing short of amazing playing the board game with Scott & The Gang, or with her approach to Delphine. And I was genuinely scared by that sudden attack of hers... it better not be the end! Not now when she gets the chance to work with her creator.
More+
Flag
The problem is simple really. A few episodes ago we had a scene between Rachel and Cosima where Cosima said her sexuality was not even the most interesting thing about her. Thats the whole point. Both Felix and Cosima are characters that are gay while Tony is a transexual character. I realize the show wants to push the limits. I realize that they wan't to appeal to a certain fan base, but there simply are certain limits. There is no practical way to introduce a character like Tony without the cahracter simply being the transexual clone. Primacy is very powerful and no matter what they tried the first thing we were goping to see abou Tony was his transexual-ness. This makes the character feel forced even if it wasn't. The fact that it was a forced concept (the idea of a transexual clone preceeded any other aspect of the character in the creators minds) only makes the whole situation worse.
Flag
Oh & Paul is totally working out. Probably holed up somewhere in hiding. Working. Out.

Flag
Donnie totally has genre blindness. WTF?!

Scott's reaction was pure gold

I don't think that Art had a chance to look into it yet, b/c stuff keeps happening and everything w/the new clone that kept them occupied. Or maybe he did start looking into it and we haven't heard about it yet and/or he just hasn't heard anything yet.

I had an idea about the whole business of the barren thing being intentional. What if Sarah is the only one who won't get sick b/c the anomaly that makes her able to procreate somehow keeps her from having some genetic body meltdown?

Flag
So, I appreciate I am rowing against the tide here, but I didn't particularly like this episode and I am also underwhelmed with season 2 overall.

The Tony clone seemed really random and unearned. By unearned, I mean there was nothing that laid the foundation for the character or how Tony fits in, if at all, to the story (other than the fairly tangential reference to Paul). For me that made it come across more as cheap sensationalism rather than a meaningful part of the show.

Ironically, I also thought Tony was the least distinct of the clones. Tony is really just Sarah all over again with some facial hair. The actress is great but she didn't really have anything to work with here. Obviously they thought the gender issue alone was enough of a distinction in and of itself without any actual character development to go with it.

In a way, I would draw a parallel to Leekie's death. That also seemed random - like he got another job and they suddenly needed to write him out of the show.

When you only have 10 episodes a season you really can't afford this kind of randomness. I found the first season interesting and I was curious where they would go with it. But I am not sure they've really gone anywhere.

The second season has involved a lot of running around but not much real progress other than some fairly marginal character development and knowing more about Dyad and Proletheans (both of whom on closer inspection are less interesting then they were from a distance). We're coming up to the end of the season and not a lot has changed. Unless the last two episodes impress I'm not likely coming back for season 3, which is a shame given how much potential season 1 had.
More+
Flag
You are not the only one, even though I quite appreciated this season (less so than season 1, but still) until the latest batch of episodes. I fully agree with regards to Tony and Leekie. Both developments just seemed to come out of nowhere and be of little substance.
Flag
While I greatly enjoyed this episode, re: Tony, I couldn't help but just see Sarah w/facial hair. It was so strange, but mabye his character will be fleshed out a bit as the show progresses. I'm optimistic as this show hasn't pulled anything too crazy without a purpose, thus far.

And him kissing Felix, was funny & strange huh?
Flag
I loved this episode, it was amazing! First, Tony was a very cool addition to the clone club, and the way Felix and Art responded was absolutely perfect. And Fe's response to Tony's flirtation was strange, awkward, but also perfect.

I'm a bit worried about what Rachel might do to Sara and Kiera now that she knows that the clones were supposed to be sterile. She was so devastated that she might actually lose what little empathy she has and decide to kill them.

I'm beginning to believe that Cal, Paul and Sammy might be the military extension of this whole cospiracy. And the fact that Beth had met Sammy puts a whole new spin on her suicide. There are just too many questions that haven't even been touched on yet, I'm not sure there will be time to answer them all.

Allison and Donnie are just the strangest, funniest and yet most perfect suburban couple I've ever seen!

I think Kiera is beginning to scare me more than Helena ever did; she's scary, smart, prescient and precocious. She might even give Rachel a run for her money if those two ever square off against each other.
More+
Flag
I have put that comment in the wrong place, so here it is where it is meant to be:
There is a reason why Orphan Black is my favorite show. Yes, it is feminist manifesto of sorts, but I think it goes beyond that to a human manifesto for the postmodern age. The clone issue has opened the gates for a massive deconstruction of the human paradigm in that new age to come, from the clone rights to claim their humanity to trans-humanism, from human evolution to genetic manipulation of the genome.
When we think that we are already dealing with enough new ideas to challenge our beliefs and our acceptance, the show throws yet another magnificent curve ball, and here comes Tony! This takes the series to a new summit, to another category among all the other series now airing. where every comment can be a philosophical discussion. We are in Lost country, folks! To me, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
Now, we had some important reveals. The first and potentially most important one" Rachel now knows what we fans have figured out for some time now, that the Clones where designed. I saw that very early on, but I can't take full credit because others have seen that coming with me. Of course, to Rachel, this was devastating news, because it destroyed beyond repair the fantasy she had that she was the original template, the unique perfection among the clones; and now discovers that all along the clones, including her, were designed and therefore equal. That might be the drop that spills her towards the Team Sarah. the second is also old news to us fans, that Paul is ghost; but this in itself gives us another interesting reveal, that Cal being a ghost too, and having US Army background is more involved in all this than we currently know.
The third reveal is Kirra's genetic key, which we assumed was due to her "powers", but is in fact more prosaic in that it is the cure to the Clone Disease and of course, now that Cosima has fallen to it, becomes a very pressing issue. But to us, it is the Doctor Moreau motif and her having the mathematically loaded book in her possession becomes of central concern to us. The novel does not deal with clones, but with genetic manipulation and the idea that through it humanity can control its evolution. While HG Wells's novel centers on the hubris of such research, there is the idea that if animals can be raised to be men, then humanity can be raised to be homo superior; but that it needs a rigid ethical code to maintain it among the gods. Yes, this is the trans-human doctrine. So we come to the final reveal that Leekie usurped not only the Duncans's research but their position as the leaders and probable founders of the trans-human current at Dyad and beyond. This changes the master plot in a very significant way.
More+
Flag
another awesome episode period!!
Flag
Anyone else remember the kiss? I mean, I'm not sure how I feel about it but it was not awkwardness nor weirdness but a lot of OMG's and some giggling. Maslany and Gavaris slayed it.
Flag
I too was giggling and thinking to myself "Oh no, don't go there! Cool they went there" :P
Flag
OK, Orphan Black. I love you, but if Cosima dies, we will be having serious words. #savecosima
Flag
I was literally screaming at my screen. There were tears and there are NEVER tears from me for any show...not even the Purple wedding....so plz...#savecosima
Flag
This was not one of the better Orphan Black episodes, imo. I am completely on board with them adding a trans character, but this felt like a gimmick. Tony just seemed like an experiment the writers wanted to try, and we'll probably never see him again. If they bring him back, then I will change my mind about it.

Loved Alison and Donnie bonding over murder. I had a feeling this would happen as soon as he accidentally shot Leekie in the head.
Flag
This is not one of OB best episode.

To introduce a clone at this late stage only makes sense if it is to replace another one. I truly hope I am wrong as beside Sarah, Cosima is my second favorite so I do not want her to die. Or perhaps Tony was use to make us think Cosima is dying.

Still adding Tony was interesting and perhaps give some stuff for Art to do. It is also quite sad that there was no Helena. Initially I did not like Helena coming back but they develop her character so well then I have started to like her and then now nothing?

I am hoping also we will see more of Kira's dad and he is not gone forever.

OB has done very well so far so I will forgive this one and hope it gets better in the next.
Flag
Considering there are a number of clones out there you would expect to come across one or two looking for answers or pointed in our clone clubs direction. I mean we entered this adventure through Sarah's discoveries and now we have another clone [gender/character issues aside] basically where she and the audience were in season 1, in a WTF moment where the world just shifted under your feet and what you knew about yourself and your identity needs revisiting.

In some ways the lives a lot of these dispersed or abandoned clones have lived and what some have lived through has made them better able to take strange or bad news much better than most people [humans ;-) ] would.
Flag
Could it be that we do not see Tony ever again? It could be a one-timer clone. To make a point about identity and genetics, like Kaitlin said. Hope, like you, that he is not replacing Cosima. At the same time, death would bring stakes to the show, so it is a possibility.
Flag
Any geeks out there know the name of the board game they were playing? I am a board game fan but I think I never played that one before.
Flag
Interesting that Rachel's goal the whole time is to have a family. Her mind explosion while talking to her father was intense. However, how come it's seen as irresponsible for the clones to procreate?

Love how Alison is a better criminal than Donnie.

I think that Cosima might die. On the one hand, I hope it doesn't happen. However, the writers might think that a bunch of storylines could spring up from her death (i.e. Delphine as a villain if she dies).
Flag
how come it's seen as irresponsible for the clones to procreate?

See the plot to the new Xmen movie.

But really there are a plethora of reasons why you wouldn't want a scientific experiment to be able to procreate. Safibwana covers it pretty succinctly.
Flag
It goes beyond intellectual property protection. If you allow modified organisms into a population that can interbreed with that population, you eventually lose the original breed. That's right, the end of the natural human species. As an example, consider what human interference has done with the bison population. There are only four bison herds that are left unsoiled by hybridization. Only one of those lacks a certain disease. So, as long as you don't mind whatever flaws are in the clones being in every human on earth, sure, great, let your experiments breed with humans.
Flag
You are correct. The connection in the context of the quote from Dr. Moreau was clear to me once I re-watched that scene.

Sadly our real-world genetic engineers aren't yet so responsible. Cross-pollenation from GM plants happens regularly and at great distances. I'm not being anti-GMO here, just mentioning the "large-scale escape" in GM genes in crops like canola.
Flag
Well, seed companies sell seeds that grow into infertile plants so you have to keep coming back to them to buy more seed. As "evil" as it may sound, the clone companies probably also don't want their "intellectual property" making copies of itself for free.
Flag
Ok.

It is ironic that Rachel wanted to know why Sarah was so different and special, and now she finds out that, due to Amelia's running away, she is seen as a failure.
Flag
This was the first time I felt some sympathy for Rachel, as Cosima said her upbringing and self awareness may have lent her a superiority complex and other issues. After chastising herself for emotion and asserting a professional relationship Ethan drops the bomb that breeding was never intended for the clones highlighting just how lowly they are regarded as just a product/experiment and certainly not a human daughter.
Flag
"Paul is a ghost": Is that Sam's word for a monitor? Or a double-/triple- agent? Could this be the reason for Paul's courteousness with the Prolethian in the bar about Helena? Some video gamers know "Ghost" to mean an elite defense intelligence "Group for Specialized Tactics." I guess we'll find out soon.

Tony: Wow. To be sure, more than a small chunk of fans hoped this was coming. (Many "SQUEE!!"s were heard last night.) But even beyond make-up and acting (which were brilliant), the show really delivered a 120% believable and fun character in situations and dialog.

I do agree the timing of Tony's appearance is really odd, given everything else happening and only 2 episodes left. I want to see more of him, but even Clone Jesus would be stoned to death by fans if there was even a hint that He was a replacement for Cosima. (#SaveCosima !!) Please, OB, don't go that route.

"Doughy Donnie" (as his actor Kristian Bruun called him this season): Hey, don't be mean. :-) He's a great parter for Alison and her desperate attempts to remain in that little box of a "normal" defined by mass media and chain store corporations.

Rune Wars: Hat tip to the Twitterverse for instantly identifying the board game Cosima played.
More+
Flag
For me this episode was all about Felix. I mean, I know the focus should be Tony. It was nice to meet him. But all I could think since he showed up is how he would get along with Felix and when he started flirting, well, the obvious conflict for Felix that it was. I think it was solved well, and I have to give it to Gavaris, he was excellent! On the other hand, Kaitlin is exagerating a bit when she says that the show could not go on without him, like it could not go on without Maslany... ehh not really true :) But I do hope that we don't have to miss him there! He's very effective at providing a constant comic relief while still being a serious important character.
Flag
I'm sorry but I just couldn't buy into the Tony is another clone thing. It just fell flat to me. Although the implications of him was astounding to me, the timing of his appearance was just out of place.
Flag
If Tony came on earlier this season, this would have worked better. However, it seems to me that Paul will be a major factor in the final two eps.
Flag
So there's Orphan Black show and then there's Alison and Donnie show:D Those 2 have their own(not entirely of course) thing going on and writers are handling it perfect for my taste. You got the Sarah and gang going "omg we are clones,Dyad!!!,etc." while Alison and Donnie have life outside clone stuff.
Flag
This was not one of Orphan Black's best eps and as the last few have been so strong, this one felt slow & filler-filled:
  • I didn't buy Tony either. Sorry Orphan Black but he was just a mumbling irritating kid and he came and went in one episode so what did he contribute, a one-line cryptic message... Not enough a pay off in my opinion although I am curious about Paul's whereabouts too
  • I missed Helena and weirdly I missed Vic too but probably because I didn't care at all about Tony
  • Scott was sweet and his bunch of geeks playing games... Awesome...
  • Donnie is such a moron, he should transfer shows to FARGO which has the highest concentration of fools on TV
  • Please show do not let Cosima die... Kill that silly Delphine instead or Donnie...

Flag
The Rachel/Ethan internal melt-down was excellent, I agree. And the whole "Tony" idea was an interesting plot development.
But the execution was like, well. Like I was watching Lucille Ball dress like a man to sneak into the Club Cabana under Ricky's nose.
Tatiana Maslany is a WONDERFUL actress, I really mean it. But the makeup/prosthetic she was using (I mean the mouth, not the drawers) was totally unbelievable. Effects department FAIL.
And a big thumbs up for Jordan Gavaris. He's really great in this show, and gets better all the time. Nice to see a gay man with more than just a punchline for a character.
Flag
Can we take a moment to talk about Rachel's scene with Ethan? Holy shit, that was powerful stuff. I don't like Rachel for many obvious reasons and she pisses me off with her continued determination to turn off her emotions and be so goddamn professional, but when she found out that she had been made barren on purpose, that internal break-down was amazing. I mean seriously, it stung. There had been hints that she was more interested than most in the fertility issue, but to actually see her pain over not being able to bear children.... Damn
Flag
That internal meltdown made Rachel seem like a real character for the first time since she was introduced. She has always been so cold and in control. It was awesome to see.
Flag
I'm actually more worried about what Rachel will do to "fix the mistake". As you noted, Rachel was devastated, and since she already has sociopathic tendencies, I'm concerned that she might go completetly over the edge and try to eliminate both Sara and Kiera.
Flag
Thank you for saying this! I was really hoping that Kaitlin would talk about it in her review, but alas... That scene was so emotionally charged and amazing, and it really helped to humanize Rachel. The show has done a really good job of portraying all of the clones' personalities and idiosyncrasies, except Rachel. It makes sense because she was raised self-aware and all that, but this was the first episode where we got to see a little of what is really going on inside her mind - and I loved it! (I have to say, it also made me a bit teary-eyed. I can't imagine having to sit there calmly while the man, who is for all intents-and-purposes your father, nonchalantly tells you that, yeah, I made you barren on purpose. But whatevs, no big deal.)
Flag
I feel very conflicted over saying this, but Tony is the first Clone that I just did not buy. It's not that Maslany's performance was bad (because it was amazing), it's just that the show did not do a trans character justice. I am now conflicted over wanting to see more of Tonys story and not wanting to see him ever again. I have never had a bad word to say about Orphan Black, a show that keeps delivering excellence every single week but yeah, Tony just felt half-baked and only there for shock value/crazy twist. And what little we learned about his backstory - it just didn't add up with the rest of the show.

Also, while I had no problem with Tony cheeky flirting and then kissing Felix, I did however have a huge problem with Felix reciprocating. It just did not make sense for Felixs' character. Yes Felix is promiscuous and that's one of the many things I love about him but this just felt wildly inappropriate and out of character. Tony looks EXACTLY like your sister (and your friends) Felix! What the hell were you thinking? It was all a little too fast and too soon and did not feel organic. Which is really unusual for the show, as it always manages it's many story lines with such ease.
Another thing about Tony that was very distracting was the terrible make up job. He did not look like a transgender character, he looked like Tatyana Maslany in a silly Halloween costume. How could a show that is usually so phenomenal at make up go so very wrong??
I know that this will be a very unpopular comment but it's just how I feel.

The rest of the episode was good and most of the other developments (except for nobody being concerned about Helena but I'm willing to forgive that because you can only fit so much into 43 minutes) were good made sense. I really like the fact that the Donnie murdering Leekie storyline didn't take a wild detour but instead provided a heartfelt moment between him and Alison. It was the most genuine moment we have ever seen from the Alison/Donnie relationship and it was very touching. I believed that these two genuinely love each other probably for the first time in the shows run. It was such a short yet perfect scene. Although a part of me felt like I would've liked to see a scene of Felix helping out Alison and Donnie dispose of the evidence just because I think those three would make a great team.
More+
Flag
I always thought Felix was in love with sarah beyond just the normally sisterly love. So him reciprocating Tony kissing him made sense.
Flag
Hmmm.....really?? I personally never got that vibe at all. To me they were always 100% brother/sister who were very close and loved each other very much - but only in the familial way.
If anything I feel almost like this sudden turn of events with Felix & Tony felt ultimately so out of left-field like it was just fan service for the Tumblr/slash fic croud, rather then actual plot.

But I'm very open-minded when it comes to these things and I'll certainly keep what you said in mind as the show progresses and pay attention on the re-watch of both seasons once this one ends.
Flag
Felix was conflicted. Imagine the best friend in the world, suddenly now a sexual object to you. There are so many layers here, I think it was handled well. Felix did stop, after all. Good for you, son!
Flag
Yeah that's true and on second viewing and some more thought, I kind kind of see why Felix might be a little intrigued and turned on, no matter how wrong it felt. Plus Tatyana and Jordan pulled of the chemistry.

But yeah, Tony? I guess I'm just disappointed that he was such a half-baked character. The whole thing just felt very "left-field" and wasted a lot of time. And with only two episodes to go, this couldn't have come at a worse time.
Flag
Oh and of course COSIMA - she's just the best and I really hope she'll be ok. Everything involving Cosima in this episode was perfect.
Flag
Sadly I don't think her story is going to end well, even if the new scientist can cure her, I don't think he has any intention of doing so,
he working on his own schemes now.
Flag
I just can't see them killing off a fan favourite like Cosima. There would be a fan uprising.
Flag
Jordan Gavaris is amazing and this epsiode just proved that point until it was undeniable by anyone!! And hat Sarah said to him was absolutely right!

Donnie is a moron!

I got teary when Scott said that it was a pleasure to be working with Cosima. I love him. If Felix hadn't been so amazing this episode I would have said that Scott was my ep MVP.
Flag
Wow ok that was a very good episode, I'm so glad that there delving into Paul I always thought that there was more to him and his loyalityies and it seems I was on the right track " he's like me.................he's a ghost" they are both military and that aspect of Paul's life keeps coming up and not by coincidence. Poor Cosima the ending just about gave me a heart attack. I liked tony he's was cool. Can't wait for next week.
Flag
I think the military side of this story combines Cal, Paul and the late Sammy. But that actually scares me more than Dyad and the Prolethians combined. I tried to figure out Sammy's phrase, but not even my military training (former Navy) clued me in, except for maybe Paul & Sammy being members of the same Unit.

I know Beth dying started the whole show, but I so wish she could've left more info behind her.
Flag
I don't remember seeing Sammy in Paul's photo but then again I could have missed it. The whole phrase left me with more questions than answers I could make sense of the whole thing only that Paul and Sammy are the same which makes me think the knew more info than they let on and Paul is a ghost which seems to mean that he knows how to disappear maybe his name isn't even Paul and he essentially doesn't exist. My brain hurts.
Flag
That's why I love this show so much, I actually have to think about science, clues, ethics and so many other things as well. It's just so amazing!
Flag
The military keep cropping up this season, first the reveal that clones were a military project, then Kiera dad was connected to a project took over by the military and now we learn that Paul is military, and Tony friend.
Flag
I dunno, guys. I feel like OB jumped the shark a bit here. I'm not opposed to there being a transgendered clone but, even setting aside the astronomical odds that that would occur, I don't now was the time to incorporate him into the fold. I presume he'll come back in the future so I won't call this ep filler by any means but I really hope they pull it out of the bag for the last 2 eps. The last 2 have left me kinda lukewarm.
Flag
Wow, I am speechless (but not writeless!). The last two weeks OB's quality has gone stratospheric. Of course there was the BOMBSHELL but even without that, to think that after so long Alison and Donnie growing closer again and are bonding over there random homicidal tendencies. Cosima is a lovely person with such warmth and feeling, to think her character's role could have so easily been the typical info-spouting deus ex machiny type and somehow to me she seems the most human of all the clones, plus her gaming scene was of course sublime. And Rachel is becoming more rounded each week, showing such vulnerability when finding out about her barrenness by design.

But the episode was really all about Tony and wow, just wow. You wouldn't think after everything we'd scene that Tatiana could create a new character that was completely different to the others in every way and just as complex and interesting. Of course this is the perfect show to have a transgender character and I must admit to being a little creeped out by the whole thing, especially with the Felix kiss. That's testament to the acting of Maslany that I fully bought the transgender character. It also shows that I've got a ways to go to be fully comfortable with transgender people expressing their sexuality. It's hard when we're programmed to recognise genders as rigidly defined and distinct. Hopefully there'll be more strong transgender characters on TV to help me out.
More+
Flag
I loved this episode! Oh man, some really great character development. Felix, Tony, Donnie, Coisima and Delphine. Just effing fantastic.

Is it weird to think that kiss between Felix and Tony was...dare I say it...kind of sexy? I mean sure, I cringed when it happened because 1)Felix is kissing a clone with his sister's face, which cant be denied no matter how much facial hair she wore, and 2) The actors! How weird must it have been for Tatiana and Jordan Garvis to actually pull that off and make it look believable! Which they did. But the kiss was actually kind of steamy. And passionate. Tatiana has amazing chemistry with EVERYONE. Its ridiculous how great an actress she is.
Flag
That scene with Ethan and Rachel, to me at least, really cemented Rachel's motivations behind the whole bringing Sarah into the Dyad fold business she's been on about since last season. At first I thought it was just 'you're our experiment/property' and then personal revenge for Rachel's humiliating beat-down. That moment when Rachel learns she's barren "by design" was like watching a little piece of her soul die while she mentally destroyed the office. That to me was the game changer: Rachel wants a child desperately, but now she knows she can't ever have one. Dyad has Ethan Duncan and his research, they can continue the experiments, fix the clones yadda yadda. Kira doesn't appear special anymore: sure she can heal fast, but Helena's proven she can take a bullet or two, and she's just very observant not prescient - the scene where she asks if they should hide and the eavesdropping last week proves that. At this point unless Paul comes back with information that Marion woman from last week being a new threat - I don't see much drama for Sarah (Alison and Cosima yeah, but the 'main' story appears dried up).
Flag
She hasn't given up having a child yet, when she ethan is going to fix the flaws in his design, I don't think she meant just fixing Casima, she meant also fixing herself.
Flag
I don't know, doctors cure diseases everyday, but making the infertile fertile? That's a tricky one.
Flag
You are thinking logically, I don't think Rachel is going to be using logic to make her decision from now on, not in this area anyway. We haven't yet learn how he made them infertile, if it a genetic flaw it possible that the correct genes could be inserted.
Flag
OH! What if what's killing Cosima is a flawed part of the same design - and if he cures that he'd cure the infertility!
Flag
This episode was great and I loved the introduction of Tony but I miss Helena so, so much. I mean, two whole eps without her? How does that happen?
Kaitling, I totally agree with you, Jordan Gavaris is doing amazing work this season, I loved Felix from the outset and he just goes from strength to strength. He really is the very best of them. But seriously, time for more Helena please, we need our crazy clone fix.
Flag
I was Shocked at Tony. I first thought it was a disguise, but then I loved it. It was a great twist that only Orphan Black would pull. Tatiana was great. Jordan Gavaris is such a great actor and if the awards shows weren't so corrupt, I would say he needs a best supporting actor nod. He is truly shining this season. He worked so well with Art these past few episodes.

Sarah is a failure. What is Ethan going to do? "Cure" Sarah of her fertility? Cosima may be dead. Donnie needs to watch more CSI. Allison is now screwed again due to Donnie's incompetence. Why did she admit her culpability in Ainslee's death to the one person that cannot be trusted with that secret? Kira understands genetics? Not too surprising considering how spooky she is. Hot Paul is a ghost. Does that mean he is undercover for yet another secret organization? Where was Cal?

Season 2 is coming to a close way to quickly. There are still way too many questions. I wish they would do like some other networks and run two sets of ten each year. Season 2 is asking too many questions and only giving breadcrumbs for answers.

Orphan Black has never failed to deliver a grade less than a B+ for me, unless Cosima dies.
More+
Flag
When I saw Cosima seizing on the floor, I suddenly became terrified that her character was going to be killed off to make room for Tony. I really hope that it turns out to be a completely unfounded fear.
Flag
The moment scott shook her hand and said "it's been an honor" and then Dr. Ethan walked in with Delphine, so optimistic, right then I knew something awful was going to happen to Cosima, and I got scared. I was right.

Hopefully she makes it. But i dont foresee it happening. They've got to make room for more clones right? I wonder if there'll ever be a superspy clone? Lol
Flag
Excellent episode but I got the vibe that this episode was Cosima's swan song as they had her having fun with a Tabletop game and her romantic scene with Delphine before she got that seizure
Flag
Ok everything that happen, is it wrong the one thing I really want to know more about is Alison's Mother than everything else?
Flag
I'm with you on that. Just how neurotic must her mother be to make Donnie hate her, and yet love "difficult" Allison?
Flag
I wondered if they were going to introduce her this season.
Flag
Oh yes! Me too! That line was gold!
Flag
So is it odd I was left with this question...do you suppose Kira understood the genetics in the book that Ethan had drawn out? I mean she is so spooky she might but I'm guessing Daddy Cal sees them next.

I feel like Sam's message had some military jargon that might mean more (and combined with the fact Dylan Bruce has been saying he knows Paul is playing hisbown bigger game) to people who fully understand it. Like Art might enlighten us when Felix tells him next week.

I'm trying to decide if it is just odd that they just made Toni's hair be a mullet as opposed to getting a wig? And like that was the only thing that I found odd? I did like how they basically made him a male Sarah and part of the reason he could roll was similar to Sarah's last season. She as an orphan and he as transgender both had identity issues early on that this clone thing was like discovering hey I was right to be confused.

Um and Rachel even though I totally understand why you are upset I actually still don't like you.
Flag
Ok Kaitlin. You win. That was worth staying spoiler free for.

I really do like that the show chose to go there for all the reasons you stated. It's the perfect way to expand the series's look at identity and all the facets of it in relation to science.

I do wonder how Cossima's illness will draw the loyalty lines for Sarah. She may not trust Rachel (who is becoming very unhinged) but will her loyalty ultimately lie with herself or the clones?

Of COURSE Donnie just leaves the rotting corpse in the trunk. I'm surprised no one had noticed the smell yet. I might have face palmed during that part....
Flag
Staff
I TOLD YOU. I TOLD YOU SO HARD.
Flag
Okay..so this was me watching the show tonight: Wtf? Wtf? WTF!?!?!?! What. The. F**k? Hahaha…Cosima kicks ass at D&D…of COURSE she does. WTF? WTF?! WTF WTF WTF WTF?! Allison's "try me" and Donnie…hahahaha. What. The. F**k. What. The. F**K. Cosima's "I will destroy your career and I love you." Awww…yay. wtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtf?! Cosima's lab assistant being awesome and again, no words, ALL facial emoting going on….Aww, Donnie really does love her, and hey, the dysfunctional family just might be okay…WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTF?!WTFWTFWTTFWTFWTF?!...hahahaha once again to Alison's reaction to what Donnie did (why am I still laughing at this?)…Woa. Rachel. Don't mess with Rachel. WHAT. THE. F**K. No. Seriously.

What the fuck? (And just in case you can't read the excitement, I'm screaming because, yay. Just yay.)

Needless to say, I've lost my voice from yelling at the screen so much.

To back up a little, let us celebrate Tatiana's greatness for a moment. So the first five minutes I watched without the sound on because I was on the phone. (Unfortunately for the person on the other end of the line, ALL of my attention was on the screen. Dumb move on my part, I should know by now NOT to answer the phone five minutes before the show starts…) ANYWAY, I did not catch that there was a new clone, but I knew it was someone we've never seen before. Of course first thoughts were it was Sarah, then I thought maybe it was Helena as Sarah (before remembering she's off with the crazy, crazy, crazy freaks) then it clicked, this was a NEW CLONE and ended the call as fast as I could. Bottom line: I knew WITHOUT THE SOUND that a new character had been introduced because Tatiana is THAT GOOD. The way she held herself, the way she was dressed…holy shit I am SO IN LOVE WITH THIS SHOW RIGHT NOW. And can we just for a moment talk about the acting of Jordan Gavaris? (Which you did, but which, now, I will also do.) To go from relating to Sarah as a sister to relating to Tony as an annoyance, pest, buddy/potential make out buddy/flirt buddy/I'm not even sure what...and NOT have it be creepy, but have it be awkward and cute and awkward but in a good way. I just…there are NO WORDS.

In other news, can I also just say how wonderful the cinematography is. The lighting this episode was so spot on. With Allison and Cosima and even Rachel. Her light is so one demential it hurts. And I don't care about the haters, she's human too. There's so much in this episode, there always is…thank you again for the wonderful review. It was so well put and well said and well in sighted…(it was beyond insightful). So much so, I've read it three times now. :-)

Finally, I'll just leave by saying in the description for next week Sarah's actions have "tragic consequences." All I have to say to that is PLEASE Orphan Black DON'T kill Mrs. S. Or Cosima. Or Felix. Or Mrs. S. Or Cosima. Or really anyone. Just. Don't. Please.
More+
Flag
Thank you for your excellent review. I just saw a C- grade on another review site and it made me see red. Orphan Black is never below average. Never.
Flag
It was a fantastic episode. Anyone who disagrees can go eat a $#$R$R$#$%#$%#!
Flag
Staff
Those people are idiots. This episode was amazing.
Flag
NEVER
Flag
Follow this Show
Members