An Orphan Black Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on BBC America (Returning 2017)

Orphan Black S02E09: "Things Which Have Never Yet Been Done"

After last week's episode of Orphan Black took a detour into waters that some would argue were unnecessary at this point in the season (I was not one of those people), this week's "Things Which Have Never Yet Been Done" saw nearly every storyline converge into a single thread. The hour nicely set things in motion for the Season 2 finale, as Kira bravely agreed to donate her bone marrow to save Cosima, Rachel artfully exploited Delphine's allegiance to Cosima and the Clone Club in order to kidnap Kira, and Helena was artificially inseminated by Henrik. 

In fact, everything came together so well that I hardly noticed it was happening. Both Alison and Helena had their own side stories, and I'll get to those later on, but I think we can all agree that Orphan Black's writers deserve major props for their meticulous planning.

For most of the season, Sarah tried to shield Kira from the dangerous reality of the clones, but Kira willingly and bravely joined the fray when she yanked out her own tooth and again this week when she agreed to donate bone marrow. Sarah recently told Felix that he's the "best" of their circle of confidants, but I think Kira has a legitimate claim to that title. Even if she doesn't fully realize the danger she's in with Rachel, she's an incredibly intuitive and exceptionally bright child, and I look forward to seeing how she reacts to her new situation and that girly pink bedroom that would probably cause Laura Ashley to spontaneously vomit. Orphan Black has somehow preserved Kira's innocence even though she's playing a major role—albeit sometimes indirectly—in at least three storylines. That's no easy task when there's a new threat everywhere you turn.

And even though Felix is hip-deep in clone bullshit on any given day of the week, he's remained true to himself and loyal to both Sarah and Kira. No one would've faulted him if he'd decided to pack his stuff and escape, but familial bonds are strong. Season 2 has seen Sarah start referring to Cosima and Alison as her sisters, and she's always referred to Felix as her brother, so if Orphan Black is remembered for nothing else (highly unlikely), it'll at least have made a fine argument in support of unconventional families. However, if anyone deserves to come out the other side of this a winner, it's Kira and Felix. The only thing they're guilty of is loving Sarah (and in Kira's case, being her daughter). 

That's why I was so upset when I realized Rachel was masquerading as Sarah in the hospital. The two characters who don't deserve to be harmed by this situation were put in harm's way because of Rachel's desire to have a family of her own. It was so easy for Rachel to fool Mrs. S and Benjamin, drug Felix, and kidnap Kira that I was personally offended when she succeeded. I felt as if I was the one she'd drugged. I felt responsible for allowing this to happen, like I should have known better. I've spent the last 19 episodes watching Sarah; how could I have mistaken Rachel for her? After re-watching that scene a few times, however, I've decided to let myself—and all viewers—off the hook. Tatiana Maslany has been teaching a master class in acting ever since Orphan Black premiered, but this week she played Rachel-as-Sarah a bit too well.

When Maslany played Sarah-as-Cosima in the Season 2 premiere, you could see both characters in the performance. You knew it was Sarah immediately, but you could see how the character was trying to work in Cosima's ticks and movements. When Helena impersonated Sarah in the penultimate episode of Season 1, I think it was also fairly clear that we were dealing with an "impostor" (though without going back and re-watching, I can't say that for sure). However, when Rachel's impersonation of Sarah was a bit too smooth. The audience was not supposed to be in on the ruse, but even now, I can't see anyone other than Sarah in that hospital hallway. After the jig was up, Maslany did her best to mix in some of Rachel's more refined mannerisms, but I don't think it was enough to really register. 

Meanwhile, after taking a few episodes off, Helena finally returned to our screens... and was artificially inseminated by Henrik and the Proletheans. On a related note, for the first time since this wacky storyline took shape, I actually felt bad for Gracie. On some level I always knew what Orphan Black was trying to do with the introduction of these Bible-banging scientist whackjobs, but I was too busy being angry at Gracie for her initial treatment of Helena to consider her position in Henrik's family or how she was affected by Helena's presence. There's no beating around the bush: Henrik is a grade-A asshole, and he may or may not have deserved what Helena did to him (I can't talk about it without getting the shivers), but Gracie didn't deserve what happened to her. Being forced to carry your father's child is sickening, but being forced to carry his child with another woman is even worse. 

Hmmm, on second thought, Henrik definitely deserved everything that happened to him, including, hopefully, death by fire as the Prolethans' compound burnt down around him.

Considering how slowly time moves on Orphan Black, I doubt we'll be seeing a visibly pregnant Helena for quite some time—and the series hasn't been renewed for Season 3 yet, so it's unclear if we ever will—but I'm still not sure how I feel about this particular development. On one hand, I at least understand Helena's willingness to go participate in Henrik's plan. All she's ever wanted was a family, to be wanted and needed. Sarah probably won't ever be enough—she can't look out for Helena when she already has a child to protect—but is Helena actually capable of being a mother? The woman lives on sugar packets, lollipops, and Jell-O. We know she can take care of herself, but she doesn't exactly scream "responsible parent." Barring a time jump, it's going to be awhile before we see her interact with her own offspring, but it's something to think about.

While Rachel was kidnapping Kira and Helena was destroying the Proletheans, Alison and Donnie were busy with their own dead body disposal storyline, which provided some much-needed levity in a pretty dark hour. The episode's opening scene, where Alison and Donnie wrapped Leekie's body in a floral shower curtain and secured it with pink duct tape, had me laughing so hard there were tears in my eyes; black comedy is what keeps darkness from completely devouring the show. And even though the two characters were part of a serious but laughable storyline as they buried Leekie's body beneath the floor of their garage, this was a big episode for Alison and Donnie's marriage (and Donnie, who finally grew a pair to defend his family). They put aside their issues and, for the first time since the start of the series, they were on the same page. It was nice to see them stop keeping secrets from one another as they formed a unified front against the world. They're basically a Norman Rockwell painting... if Normal Rockwell's subjects were murderous suburbanites. 

All season long, Alison was relegated to B and C stories. She even admitted as much during her Skype call with Sarah and Cosima, when she mentioned feeling removed, and although I initially thought that the writers were horribly off-base in sidelining Alison with a drinking problem and sending her to rehab, I now realize it was done purposefully. So much has happened that it's easy to forget what went down three weeks ago on Orphan Black, let alone what transpired in the final moments of Season 1. But if you step into the Wayback Machine, you'll see that what the show did this season wasn't a misstep, but a carefully calculated play. 

Alison signing her contract with Dyad at the end of Season 1 allowed her to live her life without fear. Her lack of involvement in Sarah's or Cosima's storylines wasn't because the writers didn't know how to integrate her, it was because that's what she wanted. I've enjoyed watching the separate Alison Hendrix Show these past nine episodes, but I do hope she reunites with the rest of the clones next week to bring Season 2 to a close. She's every bit as integral to this story as anyone of the other clones. Plus, if they end up needing to get rid of a body, she's got some experience. 

"Things Which Have Never Yet Been Done" was a set-up episode cleverly disguised as something more, and I'm not mad about that. All of the plots that have been building throughout Season 2 are finally coming together as we head into the finale. Up until now, the Clones have been on their own missions, seeking their own answers. Sarah's been looking for a way out. Cosima's been searching for a cure. Helena and Rachel have been dreaming of some sort of family. And Alison's been trying to achieve happiness. We only have one episode left, and it's going to be so so so so so so so good to see whether everyone finds what they're looking for.

CONSPIRACY THEORIES

– You would, Vic. You would.

– Poor Delphine. She played right into Rachel's hand. She thought she was doing the right thing, and it turns out she allowed Kira to be kidnapped. S'okay. Happens to the best of us, Delphine!

– Another week without Paul and Cal. If I were the suspicious type, I'd be getting, you know, suspicious.

– "Have you ever seen Dexter?"

– "I'm not as perfectly comfortable with manslaughter as you!"

– "There's eleven, esé!" Donnie won this episode, guys.

What'd you think of this one? What do you think is going to happen in the season finale?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/16/2016

Season 4 : Episode 10

130 Comments
Comments (130)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Being forced to carry your father's child is sickening, but being forced to carry his child with another woman is even worse.
HOW IN THE WORLD IS IT WORSE?!?!?!

Carrying a relative child with another is like being a surrogate. I'd be a surrogate for a relative or a very good friend but beyond that I wouldn't want to give up the child I carried. Sure it was forced on her, which is horrid but at least mentally she can look at it this way. I'd be sooo grateful that it wasn't my genetic material mixed with a relative, that is putting it even closer to the paternal rape category. And I'm not saying what Henrick did is in anyway okay. And how the hell did the other followers not even give the stink eye for his "marrying" a semiconscious girl who was still recovering from intense injury to impregnate her?
Furthermore, what percentange of the compound kids were his? And are all the children on the compound no longer produced through sex?
Flag
Did anyone catch the fact that Gracie's love interest is ex-military? Do you think that's setting things up for a connection between Paul and Sam (?? Was that Tony's lover's name?). Orphan Black so rarely does things that are filler, I wouldn't be surprised to see that come back somehow...
Flag
Way to go Donnie!!

Why hasn't Orphan Black been renewed yet? That is shocking!!

Welcome back Helena, you were missed. I don't know how Maslany does it, brings the grief into Sarah's eyes, the resolve in Alison's, the intelligence/worldliness in Cosima's eyes and the naughtiness in Helena's eyes.

Maslany for an emmy please!! She cannot be ignored any further.
Flag
I totally agree with Alison: Donnie got hot!!!
Flag

Hey, are the clones just infertile (scrambled eggs) but can still carry a baby?
If so, then maybe Rachel would get a Helena baby (she did leave the farm with her eggs) implanted into her.
Flag
I want to know how did the Proletheans find out about it all. Did they know and have Thomas pull Helen out of the convent orphanage? Did Thomas know first and got involved with the Proleatheans later? Was Mark originally a monitor, found out she was a clone, and ran to the Proletheans? Did he find them through Maggie Chen?
Flag
Gotta love Alison and Donnie. They could have their own spinoff. And Alison likes it dirty, now, ha ha!
Flag
Well now she's done the nasty.
Flag
Great episode. Donnie was definitely the MVP. I'm curious to see how the Paul revelation from the last episode comes into play in the season finale. I'm wondering when BBC America is going to announce renewal - s2's ratings were solidly better than s1 so I'm assuming renewal is likely inevitable but you never know *fingers crossed*
Flag
Loved the Donnie and Alison story this week.

I don't see any comment so far about Helena and what she was carrying at the end - the refrigerated flask containing what? Her eggs? - Is this genetic material that can be used to help Cosima maybe? Or give to Rachel in exchange for Kira?
Flag
Yeah I thought it was her extracted and possibly fertilized eggs.
Flag
Loved the Dexter reference and Donnie was petty badass this episode. I kinda felt bad for Henrik at the end. I have to admit I fell for the clone swap.
Flag
It's amazing that even I was thinking about Dexter when Alyson brought it up.. That scene had me laughing in splits..
Maslany is one of the most wonderful actress I have ever seen..While watching, I genuinely don't feel that the same actor who is playing the part of Helena is also playing Alyson...
And yeah, someone needs to get that brave brave girl Kira out of that damn pink room...
Flag
Rachel is correct Sarah is only biologically interesting haha I think Rachel has martial arts training haha that evil laugh Helena did when she castrated or penetrated that creepy I am the creator guy. loved the Dexter reference.I thought delphine was much more clever
Flag
I like the series quite a bit. But there always seems to be some major flaw that sticks out in any particular episode. With this one, Allison and Donnie go ahead and bury Leekie's body in the hole they dug, even though Vic saw the hole after being sent in by a cop to get evidence on Allison. That seems like a huge oversight on behalf of the the writers. You don't just bury a body in a hole after you know a snitch saw it and you know there must be a cop outside trying desperately to bust you. Allison and Donnie couldn't just move the corpse very easily to another location, granted. The fact that this perilous situation in which they found themselves never seemed to cross their minds was just a little much.

Not only was it a cop outside trying her best to bust Allison, but it was a cop that Donnie later threatened. Also, he had stuck a gun in Vic's face and threatened him. That would have been enough right there. In real life, the cop would have taken Donnie down as soon as he left the van, if not sooner. The guy had a gun. Was it the same gun used to kill Leekie? At the least, she would have 1) rushed right in there to arrest Allison and Donnie in the act of disposing a murdered body 2) called in for back up and then rushed in with them to arrest the two.

Very sloppy writing.

I didn't even mention the problem I had with Donnie's bringing Vic into the garage to begin with. Vic was just outside trying to look in. He might not have seen anything really worthwhile. Donnie could have scared him big time, either there or somewhere else. Instead, Donnie brings him right into the crime scene, the very thing Vic was trying to see, and shows them the hole that just happens to be the right size to bury someone. Then, he's let Vic, and subsequently the cop, go.

Then, there's the obvious question: if you kill someone, why would you bury him on your own property? Are the two planning to become serial killers, getting their kicks from filling up their yard with their victims?
More+
Flag
The thing with burying your body on your own property is that somebody won't stumble upon the body anytime soon. And the fact that Lekki is already listed as dying of a heart attack means that no one would report him missing and start a search for him.
Flag
Yeh the show is a little Leekie :-)

Cops can't use illegally obtained evidence though. But yeh, she did have an opportunity to make an arrest when Donnie came out and put the gun to Vic's head and took him inside, if she was watching that she could have gone in the garage gun drawn and just pretended she was passing and saw a citizen in danger, once Donnie brought him back out to the van it was too late I think, she couldn't have spun it, his lawyer would have the case thrown out and she'd have joined Art.
Flag
I guess this points to another flaw. If the cop couldn't use the evidence, why was she even there, because that's the only type of evidence she could collect. She sent Vic in to see something. He did. If he hadn't been caught, he would have reported back with the very same evidence minus the gun pointed at his head: he could very well have come back saying he had seen Bonnie and Clyde there burying a body. How would she have used that if it were illegally obtained? If she couldn't use it, than what was the point of her being there to begin with?
Flag
Wow, I didn't know Donny actually had a personality worth paying attention to.
Otherwise, it was an excellent episode. Both with the plot and acting from the actors/actresses
Flag
I could watch the Allison/Donnie show as its own spin-off, with Felix as a regular guest star!

I didn't think the change in Donnie was all of a sudden, it's been happening very slowly since the hot wax fiasco. Donnie started the intervention, he put Allison into rehab and threatened to take her kids away if she didn't stay for the full program, and Donnie was going to quit "the program" when he accidentally killed Leekie; it's all there, it's just that this is the first time he's dealt with an "outsider" in this new, more assertive role. And of course he had to "grow a pair", otherwise he wouldn't be able to keep up with Allison. Did y'all see how she dealt with that jack-hammer?! I know for a fact that I wouldn't have been able to use it as well as even Donnie did!

I miss both Cal and Paul.

Once Henrik dropped the info that Mark had gone AWOL, that put him squarely into the military part of this whole scenario, and explains how he and Paul knew each other so well. And Henrik so got what he deserved, even though...eewww!

I hope Gracie can stay out of this mess and find a better situation, but with her carrying Helena's babies, she'll definitely be back.

When I saw Rachel/Sara, I could tell that she was not Sara right away (her hair was too bouncy/neat), but it took me a few seconds to connect that that meant it had to be Rachel. But the red flag went up so quickly I wondered how Mrs S. missed it. I then figured that she was out of sorts due to worrying about Kiera and her "back-up guy". But I was fascinated how quickly Kiera started backing away from Rachel, and looked very scared. This kid went walking with Helena, a serial killer, without a worry in the world, but she freaked when she met Rachel. That says more than I can even imagine about how messed up Rachel must be.

I'm really worried about Sara and Cosima, they're both on the edge, and this latest bit might push them over the edge. And Felix will be devastated.

The season finale should be crazy!!!
More+
Flag
Yeah I always have fun with Alison and Donnie. Alision and Helena are my favorite clones and while Helena was winning for first place before lately Alison seems to have taken that spot.

Huh I didn't connect Paul and Mark like that. Is that whole unit involved? Cause the monitor with Tony knew of Paul.

And I'm very curious as to what plot lines Cal and Paul are entering right now.
Flag
You know I thought the same thing about Kira.... how she was afraid of Rachel. But Helena was obviously super crazypants. It must be the childlike wonder Helena exhibits lol
Flag
Helena is not that bad of a person. She was just trained to kill the clones because they were an abomination. She didn't hurt anyone else that she felt didn't wrong her and has a fondness for children. Plus Kira probably felt the connection she has to Helena like Helena and Sarah have for each other.
Meanwhile Rachel is fine with hiring assassins, monitoring other clones, and any other manipulations she has in store.
Flag
Keep in mind that Helena just *talked* to Kira at first and Kira walked away with her.

Rachel took her away and she woke up in an entirely new place.
That would be scary no matter who you were talking to.
Flag
I really don't know how to feel about Angie.

On the one hand, she's acting like a pain in our clone-club's butt. She interfering, violating orders, and generally causing chaos. Heck, she even brought Vic back... that alone is horrid.

But... from her point of view... a fellow officer died. Usually that's a big deal but the higher-ups have asked them to stop. And there is all of this weirdness surrounding the officer's death: twins, triplets, people with power calling her off, etc. I can't really blame her for wanting to figure this out even if it means violating orders.
Flag
My only problem with Donnie was he was trying a little too hard and saying cliche things. But otherwise his scenes were fun and it's great to see him grow a pair.

But... I worry. Real life has shown me that when someone makes such a huge life change / personality change... things tend to go a bit sideways. Especially when said change is assertiveness... it tends to go to the person's head and makes them act like an arse to the people they care about. Or makes them feel unstoppable and they do something unfortunate.

And no, I'm not talking about Breaking Bad or Fargo.
Flag
I think that was the point with Donnie. He's never had to grow a pair... so he mimicked things he saw on TV and the movies
Flag
Yeah, this episode belonged to Donnie!!!!!! He was kinda badass and stood up for his family! You Go Donnie!!!!!
I miss Cal too!!! Hopefully he will come help Sarah rescue Kira!
Flag
Too busy banging the Khaleesi lol..
Flag
Holy crap!!!! I did not even notice that!!!! Thank you!!!!
Flag
I think they made it clear enough that it was Rachel. Not instant recognition--because then she'd not have made it past Mrs. S. and it wouldn't have been a good shock--but very clear signals, especially on rewatch. They played on your assumptions, Sarah ran into the building, so you assume we cut to Sarah still running. But they showed Rachel setting up to play Sarah with the hoodie, her hair was perfectly coiffed, her posture was too rigid, and her diction was totally off, and she slipped the accent a couple of times. Rachel is constantly acting, her entire life is constructing a persona, so if she needed to pretend for five seconds, I think she'd do a credible job at it.

Allison and Donnie were amazing this episode. I've never really liked Donnie, but they pulled out a great character. The writers' ability to take what you think is a ho hum plot and make it awesome is incredible. Although, the Helena insemination thing is still too icky.
Flag
I like that I finally got fooled by a clone switcher-roo. I watched it back and I could see Rachel the second time, perhaps because I knew it was her...the scene was a Holy Crap moment! Nooooo you can't take KIRA. Tatiana was brilliant this episode and the scenes with Kira made my heart hurt thinking about my baby having a medical procedure done to them. I don't like the looks of next week for Sarah. She is my favorite and it's hard to see her broken. I really hope the Clone Club comes to their rescue. The DVD of season 2 has a behind the scenes of the making of the 4 Clone scene..so it has to be happening in the Finale. So who will it be?? Sarah, Allison, Helena, Cosima? Maybe as they come to rescue Sarah or is this the end for Cosima and the other 3 are with her? I don't see Rachel in the mix with them but who knows this show does go left when you think it's going to go right. I wish we knew if it was getting renewed! I feel like Sheldon on Big Bang..I need CLOSURE.
Flag
OMG I love this show so much. Is it possible for it to get any more perfect? Don't think so..
Flag
This episode was much better than the previous two. Must be the Helena affect.
Flag
I loved the whole Helena / Frankenstein analogy. Very gothic finale there.
I think Rachel is more disturbed than I had suspected.
I think there may be a link between Paul and Mark that they are not aware of.
I'm sure, as a cop, this isn't the first time Angie has been threatened. She wants to know the secret about Beth that everyone is keeping from her.
I wonder if Donnie and Alison left Leekie's phone on him? Hmmm.
Flag
Henrik said that Mark had gone AWOL, so I'm guessing that he was part of the military group involved in this mess.
Flag
I appreciated that they didn't hit you over the head with it. If you knew the actual story, it hit immediately, otherwise it didn't. Frankenstein has been bastardized in popular culture to the point where it seems like no one knows the actual story, just the idea of the story. It was one of the best literary allusions I've seen in TV in a really really long time.
Flag
I don't think Angie will be put off by that either - maybe more curious. And I'm sure that Leekie would have dumped his phone when he ran, he didn't want to be traced.
Flag
Helena was an undisputed hero of this episode (although Donnie growing a spine came as a close second). I can't believe that she might be growing to be my favorite clone after I wanted her dead for good. I loved how she reacted when the little girl was being mistreated, as well as the getaway chance she gave to Gracie and Mark. What she did to Henrik was just a cherry on top.

Allison and Donnie had some funny moments, even if some of them were blatantly over the top (like the rock music starting to play after Donnie got out of the van). Still, it didn't grate on me this time, which is something. Vic was still being the dick, and at least they had Allison address her lack of involvement with the rest of the clones.

I completely didn't buy the Rachel-as-Sarah thing. It worked in the series before (mostly when being pulled off by Sarah and that one time by Helena), but this time it completely didn't fly. A cheap twist, nothing more. Not even for a moment I could believe that Rachel could pretend to be someone else this perfectly, and there was not the slighest hint of Rachel until Felix actually realized who she was. This alone made the whole plan unbelieveable, even though fooling Cosima to play into her hand was a fine move.

On a side note, I'm starting to wonder whether I should be disturbed that the show might be trying to send across a rather heavy-handed message about maternity. In that it's something every woman desires, needs, and exists for, as otherwise they cannot be whole. Kira's been defining Sarah more and more, although that part at least feels organic. But this episode alone further underlined Helena's desire for kids of her own (perhaps as a means of copying her sister) along with Rachel's borderline desperate obsession to have offspring as well. Since Allison already has kids, which leaves only Cosima free of such wants (I won't include Tony for the time being). That is, if she survives.
More+
Flag
Not maternity: family. They all want family. And when dealing with identity and definitions of living and personhood, the ability to reproduce is one of the scientific criteria for a living being.
Flag
One of, but is it the most defining one?

Allison cannot reproduce per se, and I have never seen any time spent on her having any actual issue with it. She adopted her kids and that's about it, a reasonable solution that was deemed of not being worthy to spend time on.
And then there's Rachel, apparently not all that logical, calculated, or driven, but instead consumed by this innate desire that leads her so far as to capture another's child, lock her in a little room and hope that it's all going to be alright. Really? I could understand if being barren was something shameful for her, a deficit that belittles her, a point of pride. That's the Rachel I'd recognize. And if it was just about family, wouldn't she at least try to reconcile and connect with her father considering the emotions watching of the old videos awakens in her?
Helena I don't have much of a problem with, since she is more akin to a little girl who wants to have a child of her own. Plus her desire for a family and a true connection with her sister is a genuine one.
Flag
There is also the point of wanting what you cant have and not appreciating what you do. Sarah is the one with the child but she abandoned her. Sure she came back and now is protecting her but she abandoned her and probably did it a number of time before but for shorter periods. Allison worked through it with adoption and has no problem with it. She also , like Cosima, was raised in a loving home since birth. I think Cosima also wouldnt have much problem knowing she was sterile. Sarah and Helena were orphans and Rachel was kidnapped and raised in a lab. Rachel probably more so wants a child now because one of the clones has one and wants it for her own. After all look what she did with Paul.
Flag
i think Rachel wants Kira to be cloned . just an idea. it might be crazy...
Flag
Rachel sees it as a point of failure: that there was something wrong with her genetic makeup. It was part of the conversation with her dad.

Kira is important for more than just reproductive purposes. The girl got hit by a car and walked away. She shouldn't exist. Her genetic makeup is very very important to the experiment and to Dyad. Rachel didn't kidnap her because she wanted a child.

All the criteria for defining a living being are defining ones--all must be true.
Flag
I've never considered her one dimensional, far from it. Her conflicts and emotions were hinted at from the start, but I appreciated it more when it was done in a subdued manner: be it the hidden childhood tapes or her relations with Daniel/Leekie.
This erupting volcano Rachel that the episode brought out convinces me about just as much as the plot to have her pretend to be Sarah - which is not at all. But I'll reserve further judgment until the finale.
Flag
I don't think Rachel is one dimensional: she's very conflicted--all the characters are. She isn't as detached on anything as she initially appeared. Getting to see more about her motivations isn't inconsistent characterization, it's character development. On one hand she loved her father, Daniel, and even Leeki out a desperation for attachment, while on the other, she strives for self-sufficiency, doesn't forgive her father for leaving her, and questions anyone at Dyad's attachment to her as just part of an experiment in which they should be clinically detached.

Plus, she is very driven. Being at odds with Sarah has made her extra competitive. As they said, she's had every advantage. But she couldn't have kids and, up 'til now, she hasn't been able to bring Sarah to heel. Both are marks of failure against her.

i think there is a lot of thought going into the kids issue: identity, family, evolution, second chances, duty. I wouldn't simplify it to a biological mandate.
Flag
That's what I always figured was Rachel's motivation. Until some of these scenes, when the writers seemed to try to fill her with all sorts of conflicting emotions. She certainly did not seem as detached as she had been previously when it came to this matter.
Flag
Just to clarify that is on the species level not the individual level, ie, virus versus ant.
Flag
Gotta love that Dexter reference!
Flag
Loved this episode and load happened. Orphan Black is not a selfish show full of filler (Tony felt like filler to me but perhaps he will be back or hold some significance I've missed so fine) but it delivers plenty of action almost all episodes.
  • Donnie and Alison being the real suburbanite life behind the Rockwell fantasy is a real find Kaitlin! So true... And they were amazing this ep. esp Donnie who has been so far such a waste of space... He suddenly was MVP! So many funny moments inc. Vic's dislike of their garage (where Paul freaked him out back in season 1 I think)
  • Rachel's a psycho. We knew perhaps she is emotionally stunted and out of control (what with her martini-fuelled DVD watching habits and random hook ups with abs-Paul) but kidnapping a child? That's beyond the pale. I hope daddy Cal has found some shortcut to the Dyad and finds her... I nominate Rachel for next disposal by the Donnie-Alison body-dumping business
  • It was poetic justice that a whacky lady like Helena was the apocalypse that ended Henrik (hope he died in the fire and painfully - he's a manipulative freak that deserves no better) and the nauseating prolethean BS... Very biblical that fire... Hope those kids get better teachers than the crazy bully Helena told off in her own special way (I will gut you... Go Helena). I am not sure what to think about Helena carrying Henrik's babies (and becoming a mother) and even less Gracie carrying Helena's eggs impregnated by her dad and becoming a teenage mother with the Cash-lookalike... Feels very Lifetime movie

More+
Flag
Yey for more of Alison and Donnie. Two of best characters on OB.
Flag
After watching the episode the second time I could pick up some signs that it was Rachel and not Sarah, mainly the hair I guess. I don't know maybe its just cos I knew....
Flag
Poll

Flag
Poll

Flag
I voted Rachel... but hear me out.

Out of all of the clones... she's the only one that I keep forgetting is being played by the same actress. Maybe it's the hair, maybe it's the mannerisms... but the rest of the clones I'm like "Yeh, she's doing a good job here" but for whatever reason with Rachel I have to remind myself that it's the same actess
Flag
OB is my second favorite show in the past few weeks. Second only to GOT.

In the beginning of the season, I was one of those who did not like Helena to come back but now I liked her very much. I especially liked the way she torture Henrick. He totally deserved it and I feel nothing uncomfortable about the scene. Ha !

I am so glad Cosima did not die and I don't think she will now with Kira bone marrows.

It never cross my mind that the show will NOT be renewed. I am keeping fingers cross. Surely they have to renew it right?
Flag
I am with you that Helena is a great clone to still have. As much as Sarah is a bit wild and Cosima is unconventional, none is as out of this world as Helena after her terrible childhood. So yay Helena! Stick around please...

I definitely hope Orphan Black is renewed for at least one more season - I do not think it will be a decision based on ratings (the show is aired on Saturdays so hardly stands a chance as it skews very young and that is the worst night for such audience) but on keeping the talent on board esp. Maslany as she may be getting interesting offers after such an amazing performance.
Flag
I believe Maslany would be a movie star after her stint in OB finished. I hope I am wrong and she gets a lead in a HIT US TV show.
Flag
Fantastic episode. Maslany was top notch in everything this week. Helena is officially my favorite clone. Henrik got what he deserved and lend some. And that scene was too funny. Helena is the best, followed by Allison, however, sex on the Freezer that just stored the body? Yikes. I am all for sex in new and different places, but that would be a bit much.

I hope the show gets renewed. But if the BBC doesn't another network most likely will or Netflix or Amazon, because this is right up their alley. However it took a long time for them to renew most of their shows, Copper, etc and this show is better than they were and got more seasons. So I am not too concerned.
Flag
I think, contrary to most people here it seems, that Kaitlin is right about Maslany playing Rachel-Sarah a little too well. I read it also as "we were not supposed to know it was Rachel". They wanted us to be surprised with the twist. It was altogether a bit too refined (meaning: complicated and unbelievable) as a plan to kidnap the girl, to my taste. Other than that, I love this show.
Flag
maybe Rachel watches video of Sarah like she does of when she was a kid and how Sarah copied Beth. Except that Rachel has more monitoring at her disposal.
Flag
It is scary to think this show might not be renewed. Master class in acting, indeed.
Flag
Wow, great episode! Loved Alison and Donnie so much. I'm glad Donnie got the chance to redeem himself. I also really loved Helena and Gracie. I kinda had a feeling they wouldn't stay enemies when Gracie showed up at the police station to talk to Helena, and then Helena noticed the scars on Gracie's mouth. Henrik definitely got what was coming to him.

Poor Delphine. I think she will have the chance to make it up to Clone Club, maybe not in the finale, but somehow. My biggest hope is that she is able to save Cosima.

I wonder where Paul and Cal are. I hope they show up in the finale. I always think that Paul really is on Sarah's side, and I hope I am right.
Flag
As soon as Rachel spoke I knew she wasn't Sarah. No idea why Mrs S & the reviewer didn't pick it up.
Her hair was also too neat & with tighter curls.
Flag
I love how Kira started to slowly back away from Rachel. Kira didn't even flinch when she met Helena. It just goes to show how crazy Rachel really is.

Also, I cannot wait for Felix's one-liner the next time he sees Rachel. It's going to be beyond hilarious xD
Flag
There was so much good in this episode but my favorite part was something I haven't seen anyone mention.

Right after Donnie put Angela in her place he walks outside the van and his cell phone rings. You can see in his face that the sound surprises him at first and old scared Donnie returns for just a second. The song is something like you'd hear at the climax of a superhero movie and as Donnie realizes it is just a phone he smiles and walks off into the sunset (err garage) - a hero with his own theme song who has conquered everything that stood in his way and now is going back to get the girl of his dreams.

So much good in this episode but that part made me cheer out loud as Donnie's development this season has been the best part in a show full of great stories.
Flag
Oh Helena i don't think guys can have babies that way...DAMN! That scene was more than cringe worthy lol
You go Donnie ! i hope you won't pull a Lester Nygaard on us later.
Flag
Helena gets pregnant the same episode Kira gets kidnapped...I think that Sarah will get desperate and want to trade Helena for Kira and break the trust the two have built up. :( Or maybe Helena will offer to trade herself for Kira and Sarah will be so grateful that their relationship will grow! :)
Flag
Well Donny grew a pair this week. " have you ever seen dexter" :) ohh Alison. Helena was brilliant and that ass hole got what he deserved, "do you want horse baby, no cow baby" poor Kira Rachel is nuts, like really she is one twisted sister. I miss Paul and not having him as a key player lately is making an impact, I still don't trust cal but he might come in handy.
"There was sister like you.......... Touch her again and I gut you like a fish ".
Flag
"Do I look like I'm trying to be funny" Best line ever!

Flag
I guess the couple that 'slays together, stays together.' :-)
Flag
Did anyone noticed that Helena's midwife is also Tatiana Maslany's body double in the show.
Flag
I did not , interesting tidbit.
Flag
Rachel would obviously be the best impersonator, she would be meticulous with every detail, unlike the others that are all nuts.

Great episode, especially the Dexter reference. Season 2 isn't quite on the level of the first but it should have an excellent finale.
Flag
What would be the greater obstacle to Maslany one day assuming the role of the Doctor: Being female or being not British? She is probably the best pick if the Doctor Who producers ever choose to go in that direction...
Flag
I think it would be horrid if they made the Doctor female and or not British personally. Bear in mind I am a season behind so I dont know if this happened but I thought they were going to bring some of the other time lords back at some point given what happened with the Master.

But why would she be the doctor? He only has different personalities when they change actors so her talent would go to waste.

Personally Ive had a great difficulty watching since Moffet took over. And also I have been waiting for a full time male companion or more again. Rory was an attachment to Amy as was Mickie to Rose. And also whatever happened to the compainions being regular people given the oppurtunity to be extraridary as opposed to being something special to start?
Flag
Not being British but damn that is a superb idea.
Flag
I disagree Kaitlin. I could see Rachel's move to kidnap Keira as soon as she started impersonating Sarah in her weird "table for one" cocktail theatre. And if you listen when she walks into the hospital, her "Sarah" accent keeps slipping. Tatyana Maslany is awesome at those subtle differences between the clones.
And of course Rachel would be better at imitating Sarah then Sarah is at imitating Cosima & Alison, or Helena at imitating Sarah. Come on! Rachel's whole personality is an act. Rachel is a pro at playing herself and wearing her mask, she could probably imitate anyone convincingly, let alone the clone she's obsessed with. I personally didn't feel like Rachel was "too good at playing Sarah" for the reasons I already mentioned and because in this case, it was an intentional move by the writers to catch the audience off guard (and very successfully). All of the other clone impersonations you mentioned usually happened after the audience was made aware that it was going to beforehand. And it was almost always purposefully clunky comic relief.

This time we had this woman who is a control freak and who plays pretend by putting on her "fake personality", to shield herself from her own emotions and stay in control, every single day. She was carefully planning her move against Sarah the entire episode (actually the entire season) and from what I know of Rachel, she doesn't fail. She doesn't allow for mistakes. And she certainly didn't leave room for it when it came to scoring the grand prize. I call that brilliant writing and extraordinary acting.

Considering you you claim you've seen the scene a few times, I find it hard to believe you didn't notice Rachel's accent purposefully sneaking in while she was fake-warning Mrs. S and walking towards Keira's room. Maslany nailed it by just allowing a "is she or isn't she?" thought to cross the viewers minds and then BOOM! - the reveal. Excellent stuff. I don't usually like to play the guessing game but I have a feeling Rachel is going to have a redemption arc next season just like Helena did this season. There's SOOO much more to Rachel underneath that tin man exterior. Yes, Helena still has a long way to go too (did she burn those poor kids too? I don't think so or at least, I hope not since she has such a soft spot for children) with her own redemption story - and I have no idea how or whether the pregnancy even fits into that - but it all feels like it's heading in the right direction rather then heading nowhere, which happens all too often with serial multi-character dramas.

I loved the entire episode and it didn't even come across as a set-up episode. This could've easily been the season finale and it would've been amazing. After last weeks bizarre turn of events with The Tony Show, which I'm sure (I strongly hope) will have a much bigger purpose later down the line because this show doesn't usually waste stuff, I was really glad this episode jumped back into the meat, the season long arc. No clone felt short changed. I can't even begin to describe my glee and LOLing whilst applauding at everything involving Donnie and Alison. Like I said last week, these two are such a great team (I appreciate Blood Ties even more now as it was not just a neat S1 callback but also a clever bit of foreshadowing) and I am beyond happy that they've finally come together and opened up to one another. "I have never been more attracted to you then I am right now." Every Allison/Donnie scene was pure gold. Donnie taking a pic of Angie and a nonchalant Vic?? PRICELESS!!!

This show is far too good to not get a renewal after such an excellent, and if I may say, superior sophomore season. Seriously, I watch a crapload of TV and I know I'm not exaggerating when I say that Orphan Black is in the top 3 best shows currently on air. Hell, it's one of the best period.
More+
Flag
Indeed, at first glance we aren't meant to know it's clone-as-clone, but they did put enough "Rachel" into it that once we know we can see the tiniest amount of evidence peek through. Visually, there's continuity of action across scenes. This is a conscious filmmaking decision. The deception of the audience was part of the plan.
Flag
yep. Rachel comes out of the elevator at the same time that Sarah goes into the building. We just don't realise it until later. Genius.
Flag
OMG! you are totally right. I didn't catch it the first time but after I read your comments I watched it again and her accent DOES slip and there is evidence that the it is Rachel not Sarah. You just don't notice at first because Delphine tells Sarah not to overreact so you don't realise at first that Sarah's mannerisms are slightly different.
Flag
Yup. Spot on. :-)
Flag
I didn't know it was Rachel as Sarah but I definitely thought that the curls in Sarah's hair were different when Rachel as Sarah first appeared.
Flag
The difference in the condition of her hair is what I noticed too. It was a huge red flag.
Flag
I totally disagree about Rachel-as-Sarah. I immediately knew it was her. Listen to her voice in that scene. It's the exact same timbre as Rachel. I'd argue Tatiana's only improved in this department. I totally missed Helena-as-Sarah last season but I totally caught on this time(granted, my realisation was helped along by how predictable it was that Rachel was going to kidnap Kira but the point still stands).

The more remarkable thing about this whole episode IMO is how relateable they've made Rachel. What she did was awful but I totally sympathise with her and where she's coming from. As "nice old man" as Ethan may be, he's the real monster here, not Rachel.
Flag
I actually liked the Breaking Bad throwback to where Walt and Jesse were trying to hide a dead body... and Walt was just beginning to grow a pair.

Thought it was great... I'm not sure Donnie will be cooking meth anytime soon, but he is definitely coming into his own... yay donnie!

However, I too was flummoxed by the Sarah-as-Rachel switcheroo. I found it highly unlikely that Sarah would have left Kira's side... so that was a stretch. Similar to other plot holes like when Helena was able to make it effortlessly from the Prolethian ranch and break into Rachel's penthouse in her wedding dress... how the hell did she do that? On a bus?

But back to this episode, overall I thought it was fantastic. I love, love, love that Henrik is dead... and I suspect Helena and Gracie will somehow be reunited altho who knows for sure.

I predict a bust out for Kira who will NOT be happy with Rachel as mommy dearest. Remember Cal had her memorize the secret phone number "in case anything happens"?

So I'm hoping Paul and Cal make a reappearance.

ps... I love Prof. Duncan!

pps..... RENEW THE DAMN SHOW ALREADY!!!

More+
Flag
ooooohhhh nice idea on how to bring Cal back in. And since Dyad doesnt know who he is, he'd be off radar. Oh wait. Unless that guy who was Rachel's monitor reported about him.
Flag
Oops I'm wrong. Rewatched an ep and Rachel is discussing with Paul about Cal and his file.
Furthermore Cal knows Dyad. When Sarah gave the name of the organization after her, Cal gave a scared look.
Flag
Staff
I kept waiting for them to suggest using acid to get rid of the body. What I wouldn't have paid to see Donnie destroy the bathtub with acid and have Alison be like, "WTF DONNIE I TOLD YOU TO BUY THE PLASTIC TUBS."
Flag
The creators have stated many times that Breaking Bad and LOST are their favourite shows that they draw a lot of inspiration from.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members