An Orphan Black Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on BBC America (Returning 2017)

Orphan Black S02E10: "By Means Which Have Never Yet Been Tried"

A few weeks ago, at a panel discussion with Orphan Black creators John Fawcett and Graeme Manson, Fawcett alluded to bigger plans for Season 2 newcomer Ari Millen, who plays Prolethean gent Mark. Fawcett noted that Millen's character was originally slated to die in Episode 6, but after realizing that Millen was "such a cool, interesting, [and] weird actor," the show's writers decided they couldn't go through with their original plan and opted to let him live. At the time I was confused, because Mark didn't seem that interesting—and he certainly didn't have a whole lot going on, plot-wise. I assumed that what Fawcett meant was that they kept Mark alive to service Gracie's storyline, which did turn a corner last week, but still felt like an arc that would conclude by season's end. Obviously, I was wrong, because Millen's role, as revealed in the Season 2 finale, "By Means Which Have Never Yet Been Tried," is much, much bigger than just Mark. 

I've already voiced my concerns about the introduction of new clones on Orphan Black; I fear they might pull too much focus away from Sarah, Cosima, Alison, and Helena. As the show's universe expands and the small world of Sarah Manning morphs in to the complicated web of Dyad, Topside, Castor, and beyond, then by sheer logic, the characters we've come to know and love will see less screen time. Season 2 contained several episodes where various clones didn't even make an appearance. No, their absence did not cause a rift in the space-time continuum, nor did it disrupt the flow of the story—and I am a big enough person to admit when I'm being unreasonable. But over the course of Orphan Black's 20 episodes, I've become quite attached to the four women who held an impromptu dance party in Felix's loft this week, and if wanting to spend as much time with them as I can is selfish, then I guess I'm just selfish.

However, I can't say I didn't see this coming. The introduction of male clones feels like the natural progression of this storyline, and it only makes sense that there was a male equivalent in the cloning experiment. And after spending so much time in the science lab, I'm looking forward to exploring the militarized cloning sector. Now, my greatest concern isn't whether Mark and his brothers will usurp too much screen time, it's whether or not Millen has the acting chops to pull it off. 

Tatiana Maslany fully embodies each clone she portrays, right down to the way they move, which brings something very distinct to her performance. It sometimes feels like discovering an actress with Maslany's work ethic and talent—she just received her second Critics' Choice Award for the role(s)—was like catching lightning in a bottle for Orphan Black, like the show might never find that kind of success again. Millen has quite the challenge ahead of him; even if it's not warranted, his performance as Mark—and as the captive clone in Marian's basement, and as Corporal Styles, and as whoever else we meet along the way—will be judged, perhaps a bit unfairly, by whether or not he holds his own in comparison to the characters Maslany has brought to life. At the very least, he's an interesting choice for the role, and he certainly has the sort of presence that makes him stand out from a crowd, which makes me eager to see what he can do in Season 3 (hurry up and announce Season 3, BBC America!).

Of course, the male clones were only a tiny fraction of what transpired in the finale. Rachel is severely injured! Duncan took his own life! Paul returned and he's back in the military! Cal discovered the truth about the clones on his own and helped save both Sarah and Kira! Helena ate all of Art's food and then left her eggs (NOT the kind you eat) as a parting gift to her sisters! Delphine was shipped off to Germany! And Cosima is still dying because Rachel destroyed Kira's bone marrow in a hissy fit! There was quite a bit going on in this episode, and yet it never felt stuffed. In fact, I had to keep checking how much of it had elapsed, because there were several moments where I thought we were nearing the end of the episode—the dance sequence, for instance—only to realize there was still plenty of time for shit to go wrong. 

And that's a good thing, because a carefree dance party doesn't feel like the type of ending that befits Orphan Black, a series that rarely takes a breather, let alone allows its characters to experience stable happiness. But I always appreciate a series that's bold enough and confident enough to wrap up its major storylines, like Rachel's abduction of Kira, prior to the final 10 minutes of a season finale, because it gives off the impression that the writers know where they're headed next. And as someone who needs to be able to see the road to make sure it exists—whether it's paved or filled with bumps and potholes doesn't matter—I like knowing that Orphan Black's writers have a plan.

It's unclear what happened to Rachel after Sarah shot a pencil into her eye with a modified fire extinguisher courtesy of Cosima and Scott (we're all in agreement that Scott is the best, right?), but she probably didn't die, yeah? I'm not a brain surgeon, but let's all hope she survived and this is what we have to look forward to next season:

Because what's cooler than a pissed off Proclone? A pissed off Proclone with an eyepatch! There are several dozen reasons why Orphan Black would be wise to keep Rachel around, but her unresolved feelings for her father—who chose to take his own life rather than be a pawn on the Dyad chessboard—have the potential to yield some pretty powerful storytelling. It's easy to forget that Rachel was only introduced at the end of Season 1, because she arrived almost fully developed and with a very clear perspective. Her agenda hasn't always been quite so clear, but all of her issues are a result of her upbringing as a sentient clone. 

If the series shifts its focus away from Dyad and toward the military, it might be more difficult to keep Rachel's character integrated, but her pyche is deep and worthy of exploration, should the writers find natural ways to fit her in. I would rather have no Rachel at all than a Rachel that feels shoehorned into the story, but now that Cosima has the keys to Duncan's cypher, she'll presumably be back at her lab, and that should leave the door open for plenty of Rachel interaction.

And speaking of the military: What's up, Hot Paul? I don't know about everyone else, but the scene where Paul and Cal met was probably one of my favorite moments of the series, especially because Paul was clearly sizing up Cal, and Cal was just so damn cool about it. The difference in their characters—one is calm, calculated, and controlled, and the other is rugged, wild, and laid back—represent two distinct periods in Sarah's life: pre-clone and post-clone. I will admit that I was bummed that Paul didn't get much screen time this season, and I hope that he'll be more prominent in Season 3 now that he's back in commandos, but I also hope Cal sticks around, because A) he's Kira's father, and B) he relaxes and calms Sarah in a way we rarely get to see. Plus, we kind of need a shirtless throwdown between Paul and Cal, right? Come on, writers, let's make this happen!

If this finale had ended with Helena's head-banging or Alison swatting Felix on the ass, I probably wouldn't've complained, because it's rude to complain about wonderful gifts, and also because it offered a glimpse of another life for the clones—a happier one without fear and the constant threat of a new enemy waiting around every corner. For that one night, Sarah, Alison, Cosima, Helena, Felix, and Kira were able to hang out and be one big happy, weird, family. But that's not really what Orphan Black is. This is a series whose success is dependent on momentum. Slowing down—or worse, stopping—could be a death sentence for a series as risky as the one Fawcett and Manson have created, and although it was fun to imagine a different life for the clones, even if for just one night, there's no way it could've been permanent. 

Coming off such a well-received first season put a lot of pressure on Orphan Black's writers and actors to step up their game in Season 2, and fans and critics were anxious to find out whether the mysterious and thrilling ride would continue. It's clear now that the show's acclaim was not a fluke. Orphan Black, for the most part, has become a well-oiled machine, moving with the kind of speed and grace that would surprise even someone like Alison. I trust the series to make me laugh, to make my heart race, and to make me question everything I know at any given time... and to do a far better job of it than most other shows.

At times, "By Means Which Have Never Yet Been Tried" was confusing—what exactly does the military want with Helena? Why did she leave the frozen eggs in the loft? Why does Marian have a male clone hostage?—but the day I come away from an Orphan Black episode understanding everything that happened is the day I start really worrying about Orphan Black. The reason the show is so compelling is that it introduces viewers to thoughts and concepts most of us never consider or encounter in our everyday lives. It's the type of series that forces us to use our brains in ways that much of television does not require. If I don't walk away wanting or needing to do some sort of research, then someone is doing something wrong. 

Looking ahead to *checks one more time seriously how is the show still not renewed* Season 3, we know we'll be exploring Project Castor, and we'll hopefully be seeing plenty of Michelle Forbes' Marian Bowles and her clone daughter Charlotte (OMG!). Cosima will be working on Duncan's cypher, whose key he cleverly left behind in the pages of the worn copy of The Island of Dr. Moreau he gave to Kira. I just hope BBC America recognizes that what it has is just about as beautiful and rare as the clones at the center of Orphan Black, and grants the show a third season. But if this is all we get, at least we'll always have this:

CONSPIRACY THEORIES

– "Helena, did you burn down the fish people's ranch?"

– Marian Bowles is raising a clone daughter—a surprising turn for her character, no? We thought we knew who she was, but once again, the writers laughed in our faces. I really need to stop making assumptions when it comes to this show. But anything that keeps Michelle Forbes on my TV screen works for me, because she brings a certain sense of quiet mystery to each of her roles, adding depth and layers that we don't always see upon first glance.

– Since Gracie is now carrying Helena's unborn children, and since she's married to a clone, I guess that means we'll be seeing her next season. I warmed to her character a bit last week when she stood up to her father, but I'm still going to need more before I welcome her with open arms.

– So Paul is back in the military, eh? 

– Sarah hugging Mrs. S reduced me to a big pile of mush.

What did you think of the finale? What about Season 2 as a whole?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/16/2016

Season 4 : Episode 10

293 Comments
Comments (293)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Just finished binge watching over the past like 3 days and I love it! I was seriously wondering why Helena was carrying around that nitrogen tank but I just passed it off as her being crazy and thinking it would get her high or something... So what her ovaries are in there? Like what goes on
Flag
Only just watched Season 2 there in the last week, Still an amazing edge of your seat TV series.
Firstly....Felix should have been the male clone. Secondly - confused as feck but...I think Paul is a double agent - so that whole they were holding some military history on him was bull - he was watching and observing the whole time?! The big question is what is the military's role in this and Mrs, S's...I think she's still involved at some deeper older level...
AMAZING performances and Alison's storyline was hilarious! Kept the right balance of humour in another wise edge of your seats season. Oh and I don't trust Cal....couldn't he have some way back connection also?? Thoughts?! And lastly - Mr's S is Irish so Kira's name should be spelt Ciara, just saying!
Flag
I know this is late, but I just finished watching the second season on DVD. Am I the only one that hopes for EXACT clones. For example, there could be a Racheal at the Military base. The only difference between the two would be the hair cut and an eye patch. Although the acting is amazing, we don't have to see clones that are dramatically different from one another.
Flag
Well about the male clones, I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out. It kinda has me worried a bit. Let's hope they have a really good plan for next season.

But one other thing that I am worried about is whether the constant cat and mouse game between Sarah and the DYAD will go on. I love the show, but the entire second season was about Sarah trying to protect Kira. While it is reasonable for things to be so, it sort of gets tiresome after a while and it only allows us to see Sarah as a mother, while the rest of her character is taking a back seat. Sure, there are many Tatiana Maslany characters to go around, but still, Sarah is supposed to be THE lead.
Flag
For a long time I had a forboding feeling about Felix, and thought, Ms S must have gotten more than one clone, if there was two different cloning groups. When I saw the guy at the end of this season, (Mark), before they showed his face, I was super pumped, thinking it was Felix.

When they showed his face, I had no idea who he was (I Marathoned this season) but after googling for the answer, its pretty clear who he is. This makes me want to watch the season again just to see if there was any indication previously
Flag
Love the hell out of this. The fact that OB did not receive one nomination for the Emmy's somehow reduces the credibility of the Emmys. The dance sequence with them all together in the loft was a masterpiece of filming. After this years slew of appalling big budget Cgi special effects movies this small TV show knocked special effects out the park. Tatiana is quite simply brilliant and completely makes you forget she is one and the same. For me the only way to tell is her teeth. No prosthetics there.
Flag
Just watched the whole season in 2 days, how did Paul suddenly become a Major in the military again that part kinda got me confused besides that another fantastic season although not as good as season 1 which was 10'/10.
Great finale with the male clone and we need even more Alison next season she is the best clone, the scene where the 2 DIYAD suits are trying to bundle her into the car was just comic gold !
Flag
Everything about this show was perfect, except not enough Paul.
Flag
Hello all, I have read hundreds of comments and I can't believe nobody noticed this - that male clone that was locked up in Marian's basement had to have been the original Mark - he had all those marks on his back, like they showed at the very beginning of the season.

So, my questions are:
- IS that Mark in the basement?
- Who is the clone that married Gracie?
- When did they switch Mark out?
- Why did they switch him out?
Flag
im just so confused now, especially with what you just pointed out. i missed that part... omg!! disaster ahead in season 3..
Flag
My first words after seeing the episode was ; oh my god, oh my god oh.my god... and the feeling is still lingering. So i would say that they did good... :)
Flag
It was so awesome. This series is one of the best on tv. I know they will renew it surly, they couldn't be that stupid. I do think they know what they have in this show. I like the added arc of castor. Now the long wait for next season, all that waiting is a bummer.
Flag
#TeamPaul
Flag
Are you shipping Sarah/Paul or are you saying basically #teamwhateverPaulhasplannednextseason? If it's the second, I couldn't agree more.
Flag
I love Sarah and Paul.
Flag
I don't know...seems like he's finally crossed the line into villain. I could be wrong but that's the feeling I get.
Flag
He kidnapped one of her sisters. I'm pretty sure they're on different sides of the fence from here on.
Flag
Ohhhh, I hope not. I always loved those scenes when he let his badass mojo work for Sarah.
Flag
What a fantastic second season and how bout that finale??!! So good this show. So good.
Flag
Way to go OB! Way to open a new chapter to keep the story interesting.
Flag
Notice that the producers described Ari Millen (Mark the clone) as "such a cool, interesting, [and] weird actor." Not character, but actor. They know something we haven't yet seen.
Flag
"They know something we haven't yet seen."

Summing up the writing staff for Orphan Black in one perfect sentence.
Flag
Holy f--k to the power of f--k! This blew my mind. What next? And. I mean, what?
Flag
I was really impressed the show chose to include the dancing scene at all. If you think about how difficult it would have been to film all the separate elements of the scene and make them all join together seamlessly, for a scene that really didn't add anything to the momentum of the plot, itseems almost indulgent. But it was a great scene to have since it was so fun to watch and did let us have a glimpse of the bond these 4 very different women now have.
Flag
You make great points.
Flag
Also, what is to say Paul isn't a clone? Maybe there are multiple boy clones. Maybe that's the real secret Dyad had on Paul and thus gives more reason onto how Paul took the news of Sarah saying she was a clone and that message of Sammy's.
Flag
Paul is a double agent - DYAD don't really have enough on him, he was undercover people!
Flag
I'm glad for the male clones. Since we knew of the military connection it didn't make much sense to me as to why they would do female clones over female. Males would be easier to do since they have less genetic material, don't have a womb (which strangely they didn't want to use in DYAD) and make more sense as soldiers.

Now, my greatest concern isn't whether Mark and his brothers will usurp too much screen time, it's whether or not Millen has the acting chops to pull it off.

Yup that is my fear too but either they pretested him or as people said, the personalities wont be much different.

Im guessing that the military's clones were raised together with different testing done on them individually or in small groups, DYAD spread their girls all around, therefore testing how the girls would react to different parentage, different climate, finances and so forth. The military would do different things to their males to see how certain things affect them physically and mentally testing thresholds. This way the males can have slight differences in personality (or big ones) and explain why Mark ran away, and that one in the clear box is like that.

And I wont be surprised if Cal knows something about it since why the hell else was he able to guess clones? And does Paul now monitor male clones?
More+
Flag
First off I thought that dancing scene was poor and highly disappointing and took away a lot of the awesomeness of the special effects team of Orphan Black. All the rest of the time I was wowed by the special effects and amazed at how they did it so well since it looked streamless and the clones touched. However this scene was poor looking and clearly was visible at how it was digitized. It was very choppy looking and the clones stuck to their quadrants and Kira was off to the side, not in shot and they kept cutting to her. I was actually amazed by how bad it looked considering how phenomenal the SFX team was before this.
Flag
One of the many things I love about Orphan Black is the pacing. Never does a thread seem to drag on, nor does any thread ever reach a dead end. That's easy enough to do in a feature film (although many still fail at it) but only a select few TV series pull it off. The Wire was one of those.

OB made the right decision to shoot short, 10 episode seasons, as frustrating as that may be for fans suffering OB withdrawal.

This isn't so much a series as it is a serial feature film. An Oscar winner at that.

Flag
When Helena said, "I'm so happy to see you I'm going to eat your finger", for one brief moment I thought she might.

Hey, it wouldn't have been that far out of character!
Flag
Really loved the episode, and the season, but I confess myself a bit disappointed by the (discreet-yet-still-highly visible) U.S. flag on Paul's uniform. I know the show needs to maintain the illusion it's set in mainstream "North America", but an important part of its Canadian-ness died for me in that moment.
Flag
Why can't it be a joint project? And maybe Paul sold himself to the Americans? Or maybe he was American to begin with, fled to Canada and then was caught by Dyad.
Flag
True, yet I'm relieved The Canadian Armed Forces aren't involved in such skulduggery. It would, in fact, have stretched credulity to the limit. Why on earth would Canada need a clone army? To defend the peace? Americans, yeah, they do this s&*t all the time. :-)
Flag
Hey man, they funded "Weapon X", right? Cloning would be right up their alley...

Flag
^_____________^ Of course, those Canadians pretend to be docile but we know they are a sneaky bunch.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Brilliant! A perfect balance between emotion and intellect, explanation vs continued obfuscation, and an emotional tone that tugs at heart strings I didn't know I had.

Kira, again, is a goddamned superhero. She reminds me of my daughters -- although, thankfully, they weren't tested so thoroughly.

Sarah was a rock, which is what she does best. No retreat, no surrender. She may not grasp the intricacies like Rachel, Shioban, or Cosima ... but she is solid and, ultimately, has a strength they can't invoke.

I'm not even going to go into Tatiana's performance in this ... that's a given.

Helena, god love her, has surely redeemed herself and expressed her humanity, both with Gracie's escape and her return to her sisters. This psychotic bitch has a noble purpose. I wouldn't invite her to my wedding, but she's getting pretty close to human.

Cal, yeah, I knew he was a good one. I suspect he'll be dead by the end of season three. As Paul intimidated, he ain't tough enough for this game.

The absolute best 5 minute of this was the reconciliation party. The dancing, the sense of relief and freedom, Helena moving sinuously without a weapon, Felix and Sarah relaxing for the first time in ages ...

I've been there. Celebrations over things you know won't last. And that's where you slip into the moment where everything, if only for the time you can grasp and hold it, makes as much sense as anything else.

And Kira. Goddamn that girl. No eight year old should be be giving us lessons on how to live. Yet, she does. And it seems there is another.

I won't comment on the plot simply because I'm a writer and I realize how little the plot matters in the final production. It ain't the plot. it's the production ... and more importantly, it's the portal to a reality that gives us something more. A new perspective.

Most movies are just expensive comic books. Some movies try literature. They fail and succeed. Some try overwhelming the senses with pyrotechnics and quick cuts. A very few, the best, recognize that film isn't a poor son of fiction and technology.

Orphan Black gets it all. And that's pretty damn surprising ...

I could go on by I won't.

More+
Flag
i have to share this on my facebook page,if you don't mind. superb!
Flag
Don't mind at all. May do so myself. Thanks for the notion ...
Flag
My wife and I are worried that this show may be kind of losing its way, in terms of the tight writing from season and early season 2. For example I was bugged by how Cosima's and Scott's plan was basically useless, and only worked because they writers deemed it so. Sarah would still be cuffed to that table if:

- the doctors hadn't left the room when Rachel showed up

- Rachel decided to deviate from her schedule because she was distraught over her father's death (and for that matter I find it hard to believe she wrote "taunt Sarah prior to surgery" in her schedule book)

- Rachel showed up, but it was later in the surgery and Sarah was less lucid

- Rachel didn't stand *exactly* in the right spot for the pencil to hit her

There are more, but you get the idea. It was a stupid, overly complicated plan. Since their extinguisher plan required a) Scott to be in the room to uncuff Sarah (somehow), b) Rachel to be in the room, and c) the three of them to be alone, why not have Scott just stab Rachel or hit her over the head, and then free Sarah? Not as much fun to watch, but it makes a lot more sense.

And Marian's plan: she was just freeing Kira as if nothing and no one could stop her. Was it really going to be that easy? She told Sarah she could leave without worrying about anyone coming after her. If she had that much control, why did most of this episode happen?

I don't know. It was fun to watch, but it's starting to make a lot less sense.
More+
Flag
yup it does moke more sence especially since they would be looking for the person who set it up anyway. And i'm sure there is a camera in the room so Scott would be caught anyway.
Flag
I think we all, at some point, worry about Orphan Black losing its way. When you have perfection, you can't help but fear losing it. But I'm learning to trust and have faith in the OB team. In two years, they haven't failed us yet ...
Flag
uhhh, I would disagree with "perfection". There are a number of things that disappoint me in it.
Flag
Yes, well, perfection is an ideal ... not actually possible. Close enough is as good as it gets.
Flag
Since we didn’t actually bet, I'll have to reward you with some song lyrics of mine that are a propos:

I may never learn,
how it feels to ride the storm winds on an eagle's cry,
or to touch your trembling body while the summer skies
dance with lightning, roll in thunder, and the rushlights glow.
Now, at least, I've learned all I need ever know
about human pain,
in the greens & blues of your eyes, in this healing rain.
If this love should end, what could e'er survive?
So, while it's shining bright in each warm tear,
let loose my chains and leave me here
in the dog days of this mongrel year -
still howling, still alive
Flag
Flag
Ok, kou .. you win. But only on a technicality. No real person uses the word loosing properly. Let loose, yeah. But you'll notice not a single example in this Farlex thing includes the word loosing, even if it is in the definition.
Flag
:ahem:
an excerpt from the free dictionary by Farlex.

v. loosed, loos·ing, loos·esv.tr.
1. To let loose; release: loosed the dogs.
To make loose; undo: loosed his belt.
To cast loose; detach: hikers loosing their packs at camp.
To let fly; discharge: loosed an arrow.
To release pressure or obligation from; absolve: loosed her from the responsibility.
To make less strict; relax: a leader's strong authority that was loosed by easy times.

Flag
You're very clever, kou, but no dice. Loosing isn't a word, not a real one anyway, although loosening is.
Flag
Flag
Oh nooo, don't apologize. I agree! Though I am lazy when posting and tend not to care as much for grammatical errors.
Though, please confirm or disagree with what I brought up in terms of loose/lose. I really do want to know now.
Flag
No prob on the pet peev. There are other universally incorrect uses of words that irk me.
Though let us grammar lesson it. Okay so yes I did mean to spell "losing" but I am sure there are other spelling errors in there. However, I think that both loose and lose can be used here but I believe the phrasing is usually "losing its way". But seeing as "loosing" is a word (gerund and present participle from the dictionary I used) and not just slang, can it not be correct to say "loosing its way" even if that is not the usual format? Because you can argue that it has loosened its structure as well as lost seriousness.
Flag
Sorry, kou. It was just building up and not directed at you. Native English speakers so often confuse lose and loose that it is nearly epidemic. If you're a non-native speaker I apologize profusely. If you're a native one, I apologise as well, but just ask that you think before speaking. Our children learn our language through the ear ...
Flag
@kou_sun-u Your point is well taken. Art and quality are always subjective. There are certain standards that well-educated people hold too, but in the end it's about the personal emotional and intellectual impact. (Not to be picayune, but it's a pet peeve of mind ... lose means to be deprived of something, losing is one of it's tenses. Loosing isn't really a word although it is universally used accidentally.)
Flag
Or in other words, the Rachel subplot resolution was Deus Ex-tinguisher?
Flag
You win "Comment of the Week", Arkham.
Flag
Yeah, I noticed that too...
Flag
Considering my friend's daughter is playing Charlotte, I hope she continues to have a role too. :) What a great ending! I thought MAYBE Paul was a clone. It would make sense, right? He's handsome, strong, military... but that weird guy? THAT is so cool!

I wonder if they took Helena because she's got such great fighting instincts and training or if they want to breed her. Because I can see the fish people taking BOTH her ovaries, leaving her with only the child she may or may not be carrying. So they have Helena but they don't have her eggs.
Flag
I was thinking that too. I think they thought they had another version of Sara, but they'll figure out quickly that Helena's been permanently "altered".
Flag
SOOOO GOOOOD!

Now, my greatest concern isn't whether Mark and his brothers will usurp too much screen time, it's whether or not Millen has the acting chops to pull it off.

And a legit concern it is. An actor who doesn't quite have the chops to pull of the required nuance to play different characters all but destroys any possibility of a decent show. I'm looking at you Sarah Michelle Gellar.

If they'd planned to kill off Ari Millen after 6 episodes, he wasn't cast because of his chops and ability to play multiple characters....that's concerning indeed. However, maybe they discovered yet another diamond, since, let's be honest, how many people knew who the hell Tatiana Maslany was not too long ago?

But, they're all in now. BIG risk, BIG reward. If Ari can pull it off, I'm dying for the seen of 5-6 clones played by only two actors go at it in a single scene.

That said, if there's anything better than that dance party, I don't know what is is. On a separate note, I get how they shot that scene since Tatiana was pretty sharp on hitting her marks. HOW DID THEY DO THIS?

It's one thing to dance in your corner of a carpet, but how the hell do you hold hands with yourself? I've watched and re-watched and can't see a moment where Cosima hand is replaced by somebody hiding under the bed/covers. I also can't see any obvious CGI work, certainly not at this show's budget.

Anyway...

"The scene where Paul and Cal met was probably one of my favorite moments of the series, especially because Paul was clearly sizing up Cal, and Cal was just so damn cool about it."

I'm not sure which was better, Cal's completely unthreatened, "Oh, you're 'friends' with Sarah?" or Mrs S' giving both men the once over and wonder aloud, "How does she does it?". Good stuff.

More+
Flag
TVLine did an interview with the show creators on the "behind the scenes" of the dance party and the Sarah/Cosima scene. Apparently Tatiana as Sarah is holding her stunt double's hand, which was digitally painted onto Tatiana as Cosima in post. There's also a video cutting back and forth between final and unedited bits of the dance party - very cool.

http://tvline.com/2014/06/22/orphan-black-season-2-finale-clone-dance-party-video/
Flag
Poll

Flag
I think it would be possible for a good "character actor" with a wide range to do very well, but I still voted "no" because I have never seen this done so absolutely convincingly, let alone with so many characters. (Credit also to makeup, special effects and other experts who help sell the illusion.)
Flag
Nina Dobrev comes to mind as someone who is and there's plenty of acting talent out there of people who could, but that doesn't take away anything from Maslany
Flag
Another Canadian (Bulgarian born) who, like Jordan Gavaris, got her start in "Degrassi: The Next Generation"
Flag
I knew there was going to eventually be male clones, but I have always been harbouring the suspicion that the actor playing Felix would ultimately fill that role. I had this sense ever since it was revealed Mrs. S was more in the know and took the time to smuggle Felix as well as Sarah to the US. Plus, all the other clones, even Alison in season one, seemed naturally predisposed to trust and like him. It made me wonder whether their was something in their DNA.
Flag
Nah, Felix is, and will remain, one of a kind.
Flag
I love the part when Helena met Cosima and she touched Kira's hand. The happy dance party is my favorite part, I mean it's just happy vibes written to it.
Flag
O! BBC America, space and who ever dat is involved in renewing dis show, plz don't fo dis to me..... Dis show still has two seasons worth of materials in it. Ok just bring it back so i can see Rachel in an eye patch
Flag
Brilliant finale with so much stuff happening both within the current plot lines and the newly introduced ones...
  • I was sad that Duncan took his own life but kudos to the show for not being afraid to off characters... Leekie died only 2 or 3 eps ago...
  • Did Kira save Cosima when she was about to die just by touching her cheek? Ever since she was run over by a car and survived with no damage, there has been this undercurrent suspicion that she may have special powers?
  • I feel Helena is always getting the worst gig... Now shipped off to the military side of project Leda?
  • Male clones make sense ever since we learnt that the clones are infertile by design and that the military were involved, surely being able to produce the 'ideal soldier' had to be too tempting not to try?
  • Very let down that hot Paul came back in such un-sexy uniform. Hey show, there are plenty of military attire that is much sexier... Ask Felix if you need help in the costume department
  • I am still finding it a bit unbelievable that anyone would let Rachel (clearly unhinged) run anything, let alone the Dyad Institute.
Can't wait for season 3 and 4... 5? Renew soon please!
More+
Flag
This show had better have a 3rd season, it's too good to end now.

I guess I'm the only one who saw the look of recognition between Cal and Paul. And the emphatic way that Cal stressed how he knows Sara, as if he wanted to make sure that Paul didn't let that bit of recognition slip out. I really thought it was telegraphed so obviously that everyone else would've seen it. And now I want to know how those two know each other.

That clone club dance was awesome, and Helena's got some truly joyous moves!

I think Cosima was dying and Kiera managed to call her back, which is seriously spooky. And I also think that Delphine is dead; that scene looked too much like a last goodbye.

I so hope Rachel is dead, she was truly evil, and even Duncan realized that she was a lost cause at the end.

I think Helena left to find Jesse and left her eggs to help Cosima. It's so sad that she can't have her own "happy ending" with her "boyfriend", but she didn't look too surprised that she ended up being captured by the military. I'm not sure why they captured her, though she could probably teach some of their clones how to become very successful assassins. I just wish I knew what Paul's agenda actually is. He's so murky, I just don't get it. I really expected him to be the male clone, and was shocked that it was Mark instead. And why did Mrs S. bring in the military anyway? Are they the ones who brought in Marian? I thought she had already entered the fray from the Dyad side. I'd been expecting the male clones ever since they mentioned the military as the one of the original backers in Project Leda, but they didn't do anything to help Sara escape, so I don't understand that whole situation.
More+
Flag
GEEZ!!! Orphan Black just keeps getting better and better...Great Finale
Flag
I think this was basically my favourite episode of all of them! Just so many feels xx
Flag
So question. Mark is also a clone. Who here thinks that Henrik knew Mark was a clone and had impregnated Helena and Gracie both with Mark's and Helena's baby to see what the result would be - how can the original clone cary a child of two clones and how a non-clone can cary a child of two clones...because i remember there was a moment when Henrik told Mark he had no problem marrying Gracie off to him but he needs to do something first...and that way back when I had a feeling Mark was to donate sperm...anyone else thinking the same?
Flag
My thought exactly. And the military would certainly try to create a master soldier race with the children of clones, which is why I think they took Helena.
Flag
Why is nobody talking about the fact that Kyra is obviously superhuman in some way. She survived a deadly car accident without a scratch. She has a way above average intelligence, she seems to have either very powerful intuition or some kind of telepathic powers, and I'm pretty sure she brought back Cosima from the brink of death just by touching her.
Flag
We're waiting patiently on that reveal. Kira is just damn awesome!
Flag
Well, I don't think she brought Cosima back at all, its just what she envisioned. But other than that, Cal might have been some-type of super soldier experiment for all we know thus the breeding caused superhuman Kira.
Flag
Come on BBC America, renew this show NOW!!! I know it's not gonna be canceled (I hope I'm not wrong) but why are they taking so long?

The only thing I hope it's that they don't reduce Alison's role because she is my favorite, Thank God they didn't kill Cosima, I was afraid for a moment when she didn't open her eyes. Poor Helena last season finale she was almost killed by her sestra and now she is abducted and shipping her off to god knows where.

I'm curious how the actor is gonna pull off the male clones, so many questions about the finale..

RENEW THIS SHOW NOW!!!
Flag
It's been such an ups-and-downs season for me. With the first half of it being certainly stronger than the second. Many things that worked (the introduction of Cal and Duncan, the re-introduction of Helena, the initially mysterious Proletheans, the inner workings of Dyad and Dr Leekie, a better glimpse at Rachel), but also some that unfortunately did not (an outrageous death of Leekie, Tony the transgender copy of Sarah, Proletheans and Dyad plots growing stale over time, Rachel becoming less interesting).
All in all, after a slew of somewhat disappointing episodes, I was bracing myself for this finale and expecting to come out not fully satisfied. As if I'd already decided that Season 1 was more captivating than Season 2. But after seeing this episode, I wasn't so sure anymore. It single-handedly made many of the previous missteps right.

While unrelated to the plot, I don't think anything is going to beat that dancing scene of the Clone Club. Purely amazing, how each of them moved in a way that reflected their personality, with Felix thrown in for good measure and Kira holding her own on the sidelines. That's how epic moments are forged.
I'll also admit that they had me fooled there for a moment. I really thought that it was the final joy for Cosima and that she wouldn't wake up at Kira's behest. So that was a huge sigh of relief on my part. Even more so when the legacy book in Kira's possession came into play - here is hope for the cure!

Really sad to see Dr Duncan go. In the end he gave up his life protecting his creations and leaving them with a road map of sorts. All but Rachel, anyway. Pencil in the eye is all that she's got, and not undeservedly so. Kudos to Scott and Cosima for helping break Sarah out.

I don't think I even want to try to understand which side Siobhan is currently playing for, or to what end. She does seem to put Kira first, as Sarah said, at the very least.
Paul being military does make sense, and was probably one of the most predictable twists.
On a side note, I still don't understand why Helena had to sneak off in the middle of the night the way she did, and leave a case of nitrogen behind her? Just... duh.

Looks like the power struggles at Dyad Group have been given another layer of complication (or a few). So many pieces on the chessboard... The writers sure like to stick to their ways of keeping things just confusing enough. Michelle Forbes is always a great addition, I know that much.

The existence of a male subset of clones is a rather big deal. Don't know how I feel about it, and it remains to be seen how it plays out. In a way it changes the entire dynamic of the show, which up until now has hugely rested on Tatiana's shoulders. Will Ari Millen get to enjoy lots of time in the spotlight, or will he be relegated to emboding various supporting players? Because the more screen time as various people he gets, the more his performances will be scrutizined and compared to that of Maslany's. And those are incredibly tough shoes to fill.
The producers have not made a casting error to date, so I guess here is hoping that it's been all thought out and planned for. And how on earth can there be no official confirmation of Season 3 yet? After such an excellent finale, it should be an afterthought!

More+
Flag
I think they made a great choice with the actor for the male clones.
Flag

Helena's dancing is just too awesome for me to handle
Flag
Kinda sad that Helena only gets that one night of feeling like part of a family. She's never had that in her entire life.
Flag
Helena got some moves!! It was cool seeing that each clone had their own dancing style. I have to say I can watch that gif of Rachel getting the pencil in her eye all day. For a sec I thought it was going to be Felix clones at the end.
Flag
For a second, I thought it was going to be Vic!
Flag
haha that would've been hilarious!
Flag
Phenomenal show, and the season finale did a great job of wrapping up the 'big bad' storyline while perking our interest in the future. Fantastic show, I'm recommending it to anyone who watches any programs that require more than a single point of IQ, heh.
Flag
Good review. Loved the dance scene. Can't believe nobody has said Rachel was full of shit yet - no way was that Kira's bone marrow!
Flag
You're probably right. Rachel would have reason to preserve Kira's bone marrow for study. No way she's going to freak out that badly, although she did seem pretty shaken up throughout the episode.
Flag
OMG ! OMG !

This is like my favorite episode of the whole series. I had so many OMG moments. There were surprises everywhere. Paul and Marion characters helping the clones - I honestly did not see that coming. I am so glad Cal is back. These three characters better play major roles in season three as I loved them already especially Cal. Michiel Huisman is doing such a great job. He better stay as he is part time on GOT anyway.

The four clones unite for the first time having a small dance party was really touching and awesome. It was such a good scene that even writing about it now gives me the goose bumps all over just like when I was watching it. Helena dancing was hilarious and so fun to see Kira joining in as well.

For a moment, when Coisma was lying with sarah, I really thought she was leaving her last words. When Kira was waking her up, I really thought she was gone. Way to tease writers ! Now she has discovered the secrets in the book, I think we can feel safe she will be in season three.

I am indifferent to the guy clone though it really surprised me. Just like many others I was thinking it might be Paul. It is hard for the actor to live up to the standards of Tatiana Maslany so I was thinking perhaps the male clones will not be a major part of the story or at least they will not tell the stories of the individual male clones.

I guess it is better to stick with sarah and sisters. The male clones (as a whole) can be a part of the story.

By now, I really trust the writers so I am not worried at all whichever way it goes.

I am one of those who was worried OB 2 might not live up the to expectations of OB 1 but now I am convinced and assured that OB writers know what they are doing.

It was a fantastic season.

OB will now go down as one of my favorite TV show OF all time. Since ratings are not that high, I am convinced this will be one of the "cult" shows fans will talk about in years to come and keep recommending to their friends.

It will be a catastrophe if there is no season three.

If it ever happens, I want Kaitlin to contact the writers and have a kickstarter campaign.

@kaitlin - I really hope you are reading this and you know how to contact the show runners :-)

More+
Flag
When will they realise everybody knows Felix's gaff and that it's not exactly a secret bat cave?!
I can't see (just ask Rachel!) there being a spinoff with the boys. Matie just looks too cray cray for much more than religious and/or army idiot. Perhaps Rachel will guest in Blackbeard during the show's hiatus.
Still sad to see Mr Max Headroom exit, even if Michelle Forbes is his effective replacement - which must suggest a green light for another season.
Flag
Staff
I think the bigger question is: When will Felix get an actual lock for his door?
Flag
That would be like Felix having an actual apartment! Completely out of character. T'ain't the Bat Cave. More like Clone central.
Flag
And miss out on all the screwdriver symbolism? I think not, love!
Flag
Decent season finale. Wait, already? :(
Flag
Why did Charlotte had that leg brace? Because Miriam extracted bone marrow from her hip as well, anticipating Rachel's shenanigans?

And can we plese stop using mythological twins as code names for twins/clones projects? And of course Castor and Pollux were sons of Leda..... I guess Romulus would be a tad too obvious?

Other than that, I wish people wouldn't be so surprised when corporation they thought was evil turns out to be.... evil. The show goes at great lengths to show Dyad as this evil entity determined to get its way no matter how many bodies have to drop and characters see that. And yet same people are still surprised when Dyad screws them over and acts all evil-ly.
Flag
I am concerned somewhat that if Orphan Black does make it seriously big, that the BBC will take it off BBCA and somehow mess with the magic. This might be why there is not yet news of its renewal.I hope I am wrong, but when big business is at stake we are the ones to lose.
Flag
Even though I love OB, I doubt it will ever be as successful or as "mainstream" as GoT for example and therefore I doubt this issue will really come up. GoT has more than five times the viewer that OB has, according to the official same day numbers. I don't even want to think about the unofficial worldwide numbers on GoT.
Flag
I am not disagreeing per se, but BBC has a potentially greater audience reach than BBCA, which itself has a lesser potential audience than HBO. My thought was that BBC would give OB an open to this greater audience. Don't forget that fewer households have access to BBCA or Space (in Canada). As for appeal, we can't really know for sure unless both have this equal chance to reach audiences.
Flag
I think it's Canadian, and not a BBC show. Possibly safe there
Flag
I hope so.
Flag
So Sarah even had one abortion...interesting. She must really be fertile...anyone feeling like she might get pregnant next season?
Flag
I totally thought that we'd find out that Sarah was pregnant. Maybe next season? *Something* will come out of that abortion reveal, though.
Flag
Do you think that when Sarah admitted to having an abortion, could she have been talking about Kira? She presumably shares the magic healing factor with her twin, Helena (shot in the chest and walked away) and her daughter (run over by a car, mild bruising, NBD), which is why she is fertile at all. Could this healing factor have not only reversed her engineered infertility, but also reversed a terminated pregnancy?
Flag
Well, it might be good news since the father could only have been Paul.
Flag
Sarah slept with Cal this season.
Flag
She did, but how many times, two or three times;unless she is exceptionally fertile, this would be too close to call for her to be pregnant by him.
Flag
I am not disagreeing, but I guess we or I will have to look at it again for a hint at how long was the pregnancy. :-)
Flag
Yeah, it only takes one time. Didn't you pay attention in sex ed? ;)
Flag

Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members