Orphan Black

Saturday 9:00 PM on BBC America Premiered Mar 30, 2013 Returning April 18, 2015

TesserT

Orphan Black Fan Reviews (55)

• Not all that!

Do not like this actress' acting. She is very over-rated, and is just, Not all that, at all!
  • A very unique show!

This is the first show review I've written on this site, but I just feel compelled to tell you how cool this show is! I've only recently discovered it, but I'm more than halfway through Season 1 in a day; and I can tell I'll be left breathless when I reach the season finale.

What strikes me about this show, is firstly, the fact that Ms. Tatiana Maslany plays SO MANY CHARACTERS! Seriously, she must play at least four characters just by episode 3. While it can get a bit confusing at times, all her characters are distinguishable from one another - at least enough so the viewers don't get completely turned around. Sarah Manning is certainly adept at identity theft and impersonations - I'll just leave it at that. It's extremely impressive. (Not to mention the many accents she adopts. English, German, American, many more over the course of the rest of the episodes, I'm sure!)

The other thing that makes this show so cool, is just that it's simply unique. Sure, there are a million and one sci-fi shows out there, and even more cop shows, but this one is a neat blend of the two; with some other, more "everyday problems" thrown in to ground it. (ie: Sarah grappling with the fact that her daughter is being brought up without her, in foster care, her relationship with Felix, and of course her boyfriend Vic, whom she threw an ashtray at.

Bottom line: You don't mess with Sarah Manning.

Consider me a fan!!
  • There is no other...

this is a show, that I can watch 100 of times and still find it interesting. for me there is no other show like this. i like both the subject and actors, writing is brilliant..

Tatiana became my favorite actress instantly, with a talent like hers,there's no surprise there. this is why I'm annoyed by the fact that the important award shows forget all about her, which is a real shame. they give out awards to less talented actors,just because their show has more viewers or who knows for what stupid reason.

when she is on screen as her characters,i can tell them apart,just by hearing her VOICE.

all the other actors on this show have real talent as well,so that makes this show even better.

i can't say one thing I don't like about it.

10/10.

ps: there is one thing,that I don't like: it has only 10 episodes.
  • I'm trying to get into it

A great idea for a show and quite intriguing, really; but, it leaves itself open to too many questions and gaps. Hoping it picks up soon or I won't make it through to Season 2.
  • Just discovered it, great show

I just watched season 1 over a few days. They do a really fantastic job of making each clone seem like different people from the acting and look to the camerawork and editing.
  • No Clone Show!

Original story, strongly scripted and Maslany on a colorful performance recital!

Really impressed!
  • Tatiana Maslany is awsome

how the hell she is acting so many characters like that. she is awsome. she should win an emmy
  • WTF! Where. What... Who!?

Tried to bing this show, because of the lack of alternatives (lying now for a week in bed) and also because it was high rated here.

First of all why is the show trying to pretend that all of this is happening in the US? When obviously EVERY thing around cries UK and almost every actor is speaking with a British accent?

Second: Why are there so many story gaps and errors? For instance in Ep4 S01 Sarah is forced to stay at the station because... the writer said so and she convinces Alison to go to a extremely important meeting with her daughter Kiera - right? Then five minutes later, she left the station and went to meet with a psycho... and she aparently has time for that? What?

OK I could imagine that the target group (I guess teenager euro-boys) would omit those facts and watch it just for entertainments sake. I would too when Mrs. Maslany could ever pull a believable performance, the writers would write actual good dialogue and not 'lines for actors to speak', which by the way are so obvious.... well then and only then I could imagine to watch it as a guilty pleasure. But like it is now? Oh no..... no chance! I rather watch The Room for the rest of my life.

Ah well I went just a little to far. Sorry.

It's just a mediocre show for kids that never saw, or rather should not see (You welcome MPAA), The Wire or even Sherlock (the first one plays in the actual US and the second one is not ashamed of being shot in the UK) and I do accept that. BUT please do something about this fan boy rating. Someone from the staff who could provide here actual ratings and reviews? Someone with taste (which excludes of course Mr. Timothy Spot) please? Do I really have to watch all this 5h1t You are promoting here?
  • THIS SHOW IS AMAAZING

Orphan Black -

Honestly, I don't usually review shows, I watch what i can, Love what deserves to be loved and give constructive criticisms to shows that need to just get better or cancel. *Sadly, YES*

Orphan Black has an amazing storyline, good actors and actresses, a good crew in general, That lovely British Accent, I love it. Totally recommended to TV Show lovers.

Tatiana Maslany
  • Tatiana Maslany is amazing, and the show ain't bad either.

Obviously, despite the Emmy snub that left critics and fans alike scratching their collective heads, Tatiana Maslany is the hardest working actress on tv today.

That she manages to pull off the believability factor of playing 8 very different roles in one show is . I forget that I'm watching the same actress, and that my fellow fans, ain't f-ing easy. She's convincing, which is hard enough to do with a single character. Doing 8? That is mind boggling. So no matter the insanity of the Emmy folks, she deserves every accolade out there.

But, despite the fact that she literally *is* 90 percent of the show, there is also the story to be considered. Personally, I've found it compelling if frustrating on occasion. The premise itself is interesting, and for the most part, the writers pull it off well. There is some suspension of disbelief needed, and some details that don't really pass muster, but overall, most episodes have left me glued to my set.

Also, I think a well-deserved round of applause is due for Jordan Gavaris's role as Felix. He often provides wonderful comic relief, and is a joy to watch his interaction with the "clone-club".

As of now, apparently a third season has been green lighted. ( tho I'd have been surprised if it hadn't).

It's my most-anticipated show of the upcoming season, by far.
  • HoPeFuL

does anyone know if it is renewed for season 3???
  • She sounds awful

0.0
    Tatiana's accents are so bad that it is hard to focus on the show because every time she opens her mouth, it is so distracting. If there are no Canadian dialect-coaches, then at least import one. Even her Canadian characters like Allison have weird, foreign accents which only furthers the ignorant belief that a lot of Americans have that Canadians have accents as compared to Americans.

• So worth it

Just caught up with season 1. What an amazing show! I've missed a good sci-fi drama and the acting by Tatiana is simply brilliant.
  • Review for episode one of season two.

This is a fantastic series. I just love it. You never know whats going to happen next. I hope he bitch Rachel learns to fear hope Elena gets Kara back for Sara and they become friends at last. Love the smack down of Rachel in her office. The uptight bitch had it coming. Need to get more new clones involved in the story. Hope Sara turns out to be a real bad ass. Thomas needs to be strung up some where.
  • Solid suspense show filled out by brilliant acting

I recently read an interview with Tatiana Maslany, who plays most of the main characters on Orphan Black, and she talked about the difficulties of playing scenes where she's acting all the parts, and I realized I had never even thought of that, because her characters are so distinct and fully formed that I never think, there's Tatiana Maslany and some really impressive greenscreen work.

Maslany is utterly amazing (like others before me, I can't help but wonder how Dollhouse would have turned out with an actress with her amazing range). And if you pay attention to it, the greenscreen stuff is also pretty amazing. I once thought to really watch what was happening, with three of Maslany onscreen, and not only is it flawlessly filmed but it's also incredibly well choreographed. At one point one Maslany scootches over on the couch to make room for another Maslany, a perfectly normal gesture that is remarkable in this context.

As for the series itself, it's really good. It tells a compelling, intricate story. But at times it feels unrealistic, or convoluted, problems particularly noticeable in the season 1 finale. But just watching Maslany do her thing is enough to keep me watching.
  • Everytime I browse this page that last comment really annoys me so...

just joined so I could comment here! Orphan Black is the best! After just 1 season I'm happy to call it my favourite show. Gave it a go recently thanks to the spot in the Top 100 & was hooked from the 1st scene. Tatiana & the whole cast are amazing! Can't wait for Season 2 =) If you haven't watched Orphan Black, gets your hands on it - set aside a Saturday evening & binge the lot! For anyone put off by the 'sci'fi' genre (I'm not normally a fan) don't worry about it. Just awesome!
  • decent but here's the thing people.

This is a very intriguing show but, it's it's got more holes then a brick of string cheese. Lots of holes in the details of situations like one fight where a guy takes on 2 people from a chair. Well why the hell would he concentrate on the person in front of him when someone is behind him... oh yah and guns pointed at people that aren't even cocked so yah lets just use a gun that's been ran out of bullets and then put it right into the scene so everyone can look at the barrel sticking out.. but yah it's a decent show but be prepared to laugh and stupified. I'll give the over all story of the show 8 but i can't give the entire thing much more then 7 due to the lazyness of the set director.
  • immediately hooked

all it took was one episode. Great show!
  • Addicted!

Tatiana Maslany is amazing. The fact that she can play so many characters, and make each one different and enjoyable. Looking forward to season 2!!
  • Compelling, Cryptic and I'm Addicted!!

This original new Sci-Fi series is outstanding. The writing is stellar, the pace quick and clear. The actors are winners all around. Tatiana is perfectly wonderful and convincing in each role she plays, I honestly thought maybe they did have twins acting as her talent at owning each role and "being" each character is mind boggling. I must admit, Jordan Gavaris,(Felix) nearly steals the show, his character provides wonderful light moments and comedic relief in what is otherwise a thrilling and intense show. The more answers you get, the more questions you have and I can't wait for season two!!
  • My dexter replacement

OMG just finished watching s1 and I can't wait for s2,at least I found something to replace the Dexter that is gone from my life. This show has my attention and I'm really liking it.
  • Can't wait for the next season!

OH MY GOD. This is like the BEST series yet and it has the BEST lead actor ever! I mean, how does Tatiana do it? It takes a lot of talent to play one character and she goes off and play what, five or more? She is an acting god. And without their differences physically, I swear she can still play those roles differently.

And the plot is so good. It's something realistic that could happen in the near future (or it might be happening now without our knowledge). Just enough teaspoons of romance, a bunch of family stuff, a lot of suspense and mystery and voila! The perfect recipe.
  • Orphan Black.... Well, I guess 'Black Orphan' would of got them in trouble.

Tatiana Maslany, is one incredible actress. She plays each role superbly. The producers and cast managers for Orphan Black found a real gem in Tatiana Maslany. This show is destined to send her into super celebrity status.

Not a bad show at all, I'm hooked already after episode 3.

It's an interesting storyline in my favorite genre of TV show... A science fiction storyline that COULD happen in the real world today.

I will give a more detailed review when I've finished season one but right now I'm wondering why the girls don't all meet-up in one place and hold a very public press release to announce themselves as clones to the world. This could potentially solve all their problems, you know, the scientist who wants them dead to protect the illegal experiment from getting exposed. If they simply tell the world of their dilemma, not only would they be globally famous as soon as they prove they are clones, it would put an end to their assassins because there wouldn't be a point to killing them anymore. And that's it, end of story, end of plot. Granted, the government would probably keep them in a cage to do experiments on but they couldn't do this for long because the public wouldn't allow it.

That's what I think but I'm only up to episode 3 so I'm still learning the plot. If it turns out they were government experiments then that might explain their secret mission to uncover their story and collect all the evidence.

As I said, an interesting story so far.
  • Very engaging and unpredictable

Reminds me of dollhouse, but with a better actress and story(at present). They keep you guessing at what's happening, while still keeping a very good pace. Even if you tried to guess, you will still be shocked at several points. Also Tatiana is great and very convincing in her role(s). Although that wouldn't matter, if the characters weren't so excellently written. It gives hope for the SciFi genre..
  • Hurray! its picked up for a 2nd season!

I just happened to stumble across this show and was instantly hooked! If you like drama, syfy, suspense and a bit of off-colored humor (Felix's character), all wrapped up in one, this is the show for you! BTW Brava for Tatiana's work on each one of the clones!
  • I recommend to watch it and to give it a try

Just read that Tatiana got the CCA for her role in this series. And I must say she definitely earned it.

Although some might say she is very beautiful. I dont think so, but that is not the point, why I am watching it ;)

• Not bad at all

Glad I gave this show a chance.
  • Wow... I mean WOW...

What an awesome show. Seriously. I was hooked on the first season. Love the characters as they are all different. Tatiana Maslany is such an awesome actress, really beautiful and makes you want to watch more. The only thing I hated about the first season was that it was too short.
  • it's getting better and better at each episode...

I usually need to really be into the very first episode of a show to start liking it or becoming addicted to it

the first episode of Orphan Black made me doubt about the show and i didn't really like Felix at the beginning

but i found some interesting clues that made me believe that it would be a good story behind

then i started to watch the second, then the third... and finally it's really a great show

that's too bad clones are dying too quickly in the first season (unless there are plenty coming up soon) and the first season is also too short :(

can't wait the see the next season
  • The story makes you overlook any bad thing there might be

Awesome story, so well written, so creative! Tatiana Maslany plays all the characters beautifully and the difficult screen moments where there are two or more of them in one shot are overall executed very neatly. The few times that it is a little bit less seamless are easily forgiven, just because it's such a powerful story!