Otherworld

Rock and Roll Suicide

Aired Saturday 10:00 PM Feb 16, 1985 on CBS

• Centrex City is just another name for Dullsville. Wanting to do something special for their school talent show, Trace and Gina play some good old fashioned rock n' roll... inadvertently creating a culture shock in the Otherworld.

I loved this episode, and consider it the best of the entire series. Centrex City is a paean to bland conformity... just like the 1950's, only without the excitement. When Trace and Gina sing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" at the school talent show, kids stand up and dance in the aisles until mean Mr. Dromo turns off the lights. Trace and Gina get a record deal, but it's not too long before those records start rolling backwards -- evidence of weird, "interdimensional" messages as far as Dr. Klaxon is concerned... and Dr. Klaxon is head of the CAI -- the Church of Artificial Intelligence, a government-run agency meant to keep all citizens controlled. Great moments all, but my personal favorite is when Trace and Gina, out on a shopping spree, run into aisles of "Trace and Gina" dolls. A creepy, effective scene, as only Jonna Lee could pull off! The CAI is soon demonstrating on the Sterlings' front lawn, and wise father Hal says that Trace and Gina have to play "the big show" no matter what -- because this time, it's about freedom. Yeah, Rock n' Roll, stickin' it to the man, again! Seriously though, this episode had a great message, some great music (including David Bowie's "Modern Love" and Cheap Trick's "Surrender"), and stands out (for me) as the best episode. Well worth seeing!