Outcasts Forums

BBC (ended 2011)

Initial Reactions

Heather_H

[1]Feb 9, 2011
    • level: 35

Is it as bad as everyone's making out?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pjo34

[2]Feb 9, 2011
    • level: 1
    looks good but cannot get on virgin

pjo34

[3]Feb 9, 2011
    its a bit slow but worth a watch

mimisc2009

[4]Feb 9, 2011
    • level: 9
    Great start to the show. I'm really enjoying the storylines so far and I hope they continue to be great.

TheOldBill

[5]Feb 9, 2011
    • level: 94

I think it's rather good, actually. The first episode was a little hard work for viewers, as Richards has decided toreveal the back story in increments,allowing the characters to referknowingly to unattractive incidents in one another's pasts. The first episode was enthralling, the second undercut by the silliness of our principals in agreeing to a series ofwholly unrealistic demands from the patently untrustworthy ACs.

Alien42

[6]Feb 9, 2011
    • level: 10

I wouldn't call it bad, but I must confess to wondering if/when we're going to see some native humanoids that have a symbiotic relationship with the planet, travel around by burrowing through the ground, & can toss bolts of energy around. Wink

mermayd

[7]Feb 9, 2011
    • level: 19
    pjo34 wrote:
    looks good but cannot get on virgin

Since when can you not get BBC1 on Virgin. It's one of the free channels.

It hasn't grabbed me. Gutted because I like Spooks. Is it worth giving a second try?

PhilosopherBat

[8]Feb 10, 2011
    • level: 14
    very very slow, fell asleep

natsky12345

[9]Feb 11, 2011
    • level: 2
    ok show, feels like BSG just on a planet. will take a couple of episodes to get used to

Spoontown

[10]Feb 12, 2011
    Yet to watch, so for once can we not have spoilers on here.

sianwadey

[11]Feb 12, 2011
    • level: 9
    I was really looking forward to it, I loved the cast and I love science-fiction, but I was really disappointed. The first episode threw you in, with no explanation. I felt like I'd missed an episode. It was also full of cliches, with somebody in charge delivering a rousing speech and loads of people clapping. Such a shame, because it could have been amazing.

Critchin

[12]Feb 12, 2011

It isn't good. It looks like it's from the Battlestar Galactica school of melodrama and soap opera where the SF setting is just set dressing, only with less flair.

So if you're of the critical SF school of thinking you're likely to be driven nuts by the stupidity of people and impossible plot devices: five year sub light trips from Earth where after a nuclear war it made more sense to suddenly invent interstellar travel and fire people at planets piecemeal without making sure they could safely land rather than invest resources in surviving where they were?

If you're the type of person who likes to think about solving problems (as many SF enthusiasts are) you'll likely be driven to distraction by story telling that relies on your being ignorant and that doles out plot like bread crumbs in the hope you don't have anywhere else to go for a meal.

mermayd

[13]Feb 13, 2011
    • level: 19
    Someone on the Radio Times website has said that they should have just given the money to Dr Who and had them do six extra episodes. I personally think that's a bit harsh. Not everyone likes Dr Who. At least they tried to do something different. It's by a guy who usually writes Spooks so maybe that is the problem. Spy thriller does not = Science Fiction.

Spoontown

[14]Feb 13, 2011
    It shows promise, with a couple of problems. The lack of money is glaringly obvious, given a Doctor Who sized budget (and maybe a few of the crew) it would be better. Also some of the script is a bit silly, the President of Carpathia is told by the captain on the transporter that his crew is anxious to land, so the president comes on and his 'inspirational' speech basically amounts to saying 'it's great down here', how that calmed anyone down I wondered for the rest of the episode.....There's at least one other supposedly uplifting speech that just sounded ridiculous.

chaznet

[15]Feb 14, 2011
    • level: 11

It's not awful, but has a very 'low-budget' look. Fortunately it's balanced with good writing and acting. As long as this is kept as a mini-series and not dragged on, it could be quite enjoyable. During episode 1 I kept rewinding as I had the perception I was missing a lot of dialog, however, it's all explained in episode 2. Why? Not sure, doesn't add to the story, but at least it all gets explained.

You do have to look the other way when it comes to little details. If you're uprooting to travel across space to start populating a new planet, I wouldn't think lipstick, makeup, and hair styling products would be something to use precious rocket fuel to transport, yet the female characters seem to have an endless supply of it. Even the male clones living in the dessert have taken time to make their hair spikey with mousse

Even the clothing is wrong. For deep space attire, it sure looks a lot like casual Friday at the office. Button-down shirts for the men? I guess when they figured out how to produce food, they moved on to button factories? It lacks the gritty realism one might expect when visually telling a story like this. Perhaps uniforms, with some of the characters having modified them to attempt individuality. The linen, pocketless, blazer worn worn by the female security director in on of the early scenes serves no functional purpose and will have you wondering how they iron all those clothes, or replace the buttons

Attention-to-detail aside, it is a good story and well acted. If they attempt to drag it out over more than 1 series, it's a lost cause.

Edited on 02/14/2011 5:43pm
    Edited 2 total times.

thevince32

[16]Feb 15, 2011
    • level: 4

Earth 2?

soph_r91

[17]Feb 16, 2011
    pjo34: You can get it on virgin, it's only on BBC One

pipponippo

[18]Feb 16, 2011
    • level: 4

I love science fiction, and Outcast, looks a kind of promising.

Good story line for now, good Computer Graphics, and characters are kind of new for me.

I like it!

AutumnGodwin

[19]Feb 17, 2011
    thevince32 wrote:

Earth 2?

Glad I'm not the only one ;p

I do like the show so far. Unlike some others on here, I appreciated being thrown in and trying to figure out what happened. I'm interested to find out more about earth and what happened. However, I'm afraid of being let down by the soap opera in space epidemic such as STV and SGU.

Synetech

[20]Feb 22, 2011
    • level: 22
    Nope, you're not the only one who sees how this is another Earth 2. Moreover, in episode five, Eric Mabius becomes the Jessica Steen of this one.