An Outlander Community
Saturday 9:00 PM on Starz
The pilot surfaced on the web last week and I finally decided to watch it.

I'm not going to post any spoilers, just give my impressions.

Before I give my 2 cents, I should point out that I haven't read the books, I was interested in this series for 2 reasons.

Firstly Ronald D. Moore is involved, the guy behind the phenomenal BattleStar Galactica reboot, (however he is also responsible for the bloated mess that was Caprica).

Secondly, its on Starz.
Now Starz is best known for a more adult approach to programming, - with shows like Spartacus, Black Sails and Magic City - and Outlander would be their first foray into original sci-fi (to the best of my knowledge).

Onto the show.

Whats it about?:

Outlander follows the story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened.

What its actually like?:

Outlander could best be described as a historical, fantasy-romance hybrid.

Whats good?:

Outlander is a very pretty show. The director uses the scenery and settings to good effect and they add to the feel of the show.

The leads are both solid and have some chemistry. Caitriona Balfe manages to be convincing in the lead, as a strong, intelligent female character - which was refreshing, and pleasantly surprising.
Characters in fantasy shows can sometimes verge on silly/dumb, but Claire Randall's character is very calm and strong, considering her predicament.

The pacing picks up when Claire travels back in time.

Whats not so good?:

The voice over. They really over used it. They really, really need to cut it down.

The music. A pet peeve of mine is the over use of what I call 'diddly diddly' music in shows relating to Celtic regions.

There is a lot of exposition before the time jump actually happens - probably too much.

There is possibly too much time spent in 1945 and too much time giving the historical background to the area.

Overall:

Outlander has a lot of promise, but the subject matter will not be for everyone, and this is not your typical Starz fare.
Its well shot, with interesting characters and handles the fantasy elements in a more grounded fashion than I was expecting.

7/10
83 Comments
Follow this Show
Members