An Outlander Community
Saturday 9:00 PM on Starz
"New Friends"

First of all - I have to say I'm very happy we will get season 2. Hopefully, we're here for the long ride. Cancelling the show anywhere after the beginning of book 2 would be a terrible thing.

Now let's talk about this week's episode.

1. Mrs. Fitzgibbons

So here is the first new addition to the cast - the head housekeeper of Castle Leoch, Mrs. Glenna Fitzgibbons. She's played by lovely Annette Badland. If you want some cold porridge or used, but still good clothes - Glenna is your girl.
I think the scene in which Mrs. Fitzgibbons was helping Claire to dress was my favorite in the whole episode. Putting all this stuff on required a lot of work. Although I love Claire's new dresses - I'm glad nowadays women have less trouble with their wardrobe each morning.
Also Claire had to say goodbye to her bra and panties - since such luxuries were unknown in XVIII century. OBGYNs say the more ventilation the better - but somehow I'm not convinced. Oh well, I guess Claire will have to get used to going commando from now on.
2. Geillis

Time to meet the local witch / abortionist - Geillis Duncan, played by goregeous Lotte Verbeek. She has amazing accent. No wonder Claire quickly befriends her. And it's a good thing because without Geillis' guidance Claire would feel in Castle Leoch like a lost puppy. I like that Geillis doesn't waste time - she quickly showed Claire the flowers that can bring your flux, you know just in case. Geillis invited Claire to her home - so it's possible that next week we'll see the witches' hut.
3. Things get dark

In the premier's review I warned you all that Outlander can be pretty dark. And this week we got a proof of it. Poor Jenny :( I'm just glad they didn't show the rape itself.
Also we got a first look of Jamie's scarred back. That's why he usually wears shirts.
Claire found out that Jamie is an outlaw and the Red Coats are looking for him. And yet as long as Claire is with Jamie she's safe in Castle Leoch. If I were on Claire's place I would tie myself to Jamie - not just for safety reasons :)
4. Colum

At the dinner we met the Chieftain of Clan MacKenzie and the Laird of Castle Leoch, Colum (who is played by Gary Lewis). Colum suffers from Toulouse-Lautrec Syndrome. I knew from the books that his legs are deformed - but seeing them on my own eyes was still a bit of shock. Claire assumed that wee Hamish was Dougal's son - and any warm feelings Letitia might have for her were lost forever. Scots are cunning - they will interrogate you even during meals. Also it's worth mentioning that Claire can't hold her liquor.
5. The Stable Boy

We found out that Jamie is a local Horse Whisperer - who knows Tom Booker might be his distant descendant :P Anyways Claire brought Jamie a lunch and they had their (sort of) first date. Caitriona and Sam have really a great chemistry. It was a lovely scene till Old Alec spoiled all the fun. Ehhh - I hate that guy!
6. A beating

Jamie is a Scottish equivalent of a Knight in Shining Armor - so he naturally stood up for Laoghaire (I wouldn't expect anything less from him) and suffered the punishment that was intended for her. Angus wasn't happy about trashing poor Jamie - but he had no choice in the matter. The justice (?) had to be served. At least Claire tended to Jamie's wound later.
For a moment it seemed like Claire would leave both Jamie and Castle Leoch. Fortunately for us Colum is Team Clamie (or he just thinks Claire is a spy) - so he forced her to stay and become the new local healer. I loved the scene in which Claire realized she and Frank were naughty in her own workroom. Talk about workplace hygiene.
In comparison to the book there were a few slight differences - for example in the book it was Mrs. Fitzgibbons who translated for Claire during Laoghaire thing and not Geillis (Geillis and Claire haven't yet met at that time I believe). Also some stuff happened in different order. However, it's nothing to fuss about. After all this is tv series - and in order to adapt source material they have to make some changes. I was glad with the outcome and I really enjoyed episode 2.
So did you like "Castle Leoch"? Are you looking forward to more Claire and Jamie? What did you think about Gellis? Share your thoughts!
Also please - no spoilers in the comments :)

Comments (34)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The review of episode 3 "The Way Out" is now online!
Flag
I'm loving this show it's fantastic and not just because Jamie is sexy as all hell and built like a bloody mountain, it's dark and soft and everything inbetween I'm hooked and will continue to watch.
Flag
I've never read the books but after catching both episodes, I'm officially hooked. Well that could be because of Jamie but it's quite entertaining! The intrigue is very interesting and I cringe every time Colum or Dougal look sideways at Claire in hopes of protecting her! Definitely enjoying the show :)
Flag
I love Lotte Verbeek, have ever since the last period Drama the beautiful ginger was in when she got to play the Pope's mistress, Guilia Farnese, on 'The Borgias'. Nice addition to the cast, she is exceptionally beautiful and is already my third favorite character behind Claire and Mrs. Fitsgibbons. Always love the witches, always love the girls the best.

Jamie is also growing on me. When I read about how Sam Heughan had auditioned something like five or six different times to play 'Game of Thrones' characters and fell short each time (many of those characters he tried out for are now dead) Its kind of awesome for him he ended up the male lead here. (Question, how could this handsome bastard Not get cast on 'GoT'?) Damn good thing for us he never made the 'Night's Watch'. They did well in casting that role.

So cool how they made Gary Lewis, 'Colum Mckenzie' look with the diseased legs. The brothers are great characters. I really need to start the books.

Liked this episode, looking forward to more Claire and Jamie, and loved Gellis primarily because I like the actress and have since being introduced to her on 'The Borgias'. She is really lovely and really good.

More+
Flag
I'm shocked that his beautiful face didn't make GoT but their loss is our gain! :)
Flag
Probably for the best that Claire wasn't allowed to leave, not only because without here there's no show, but seriously, she's a smart lady. Forget about avoiding the British, even if she finds her way back to the rock formation...then what? Open sesamea?

"Time to meet the local witch / abortionist - Gellis Duncan, played by goregeous Lotte Verbeek
"

Superficially speaking, never in my wildest dreams did I think I could possibly dig somebody with that big a forehead, but damn...I'm crushin' awfully hard on Lotte Verbeek. I think Gellis Duncan is my new Ygritte. Maybe it's the accent, which is pretty cool "combination" of Scottish and Dutch.

"Chieftain of Clan MacKenzie and the Laird of Castle Leoch, Colum (who is played by Gary Lewis). Colum suffers from Toulouse-Lautrec Syndrome"

If somebody can explain to me the seamless CGI process of editing Lewis' legs, that would be swell.
Flag
A brief explanation of how they managed Colum's legs is presented on "Inside the World of Outlander: Episode 102" (here) available on Starz' website.
Flag
Sweet, thanks. Now, if you could get them to stream video to Canada...that would be swell ;)

But have no fear, YouTube fixes everything :)
Flag
Ah, good to know. I'll try to remember that when posting links.

Incidentally, Ron Moore also has "making of" podcasts (listed on the website as "Chat with Ron Moore", here, hope it works) for each of the first two episodes that run real-time along with the episode, designed to be listened to like a director's commentary. These include lots of details about production. SPOILER WARNING: These commentaries, especially for Episode 2, include major spoilers from the books. They seem primarily interested in explaining how the television production has worked to adapt the books and they are very liberal with future details.
Flag
Thanks for the highlighted spoiler warning. Didn't read past the first sentense :)
Flag
Claire is smart indeed - but she often makes imprudent decisions. Remember how she tried to escape from Jamie & Co during a skirmish with the red coats in the premier? She had no idea where she was. She didn't have a map or a compass. And yet she thought she would find her way to the stones... Such behavior is an integral part of her character. Also she's very stubborn. You have to just get used to it :)

I wouldn't compare Lotte to Rose - cause let's face it - Rose is a divine creature from some heavenly dimension - but I agree Lotte has her charm.
Flag
I'm genuinely not sure whether or not I agree with your estimation of Claire's decisions. I think so much of our perception of her risk-taking is predicated on our own knowledge of her situation, partly by the narration provided by Gabaldon in the novel and partly by the general storytelling expectations in the literary genre.

Whatever distress and disbelief might result from her time traveling, the urgency to return is both impulsive and defensible. It seems hasty and ill-advised to us, with some more distanced perception of her Scottish captors, to flee from them during the attack at Cocknammon Rock, but these are strange men who kidnapped her, threatened her life, and have shown little reason that she would be safe with them. Even those she might have expected (or at least hoped) to trust—the English army officer with her husband's face—have toppled her trust. She just doesn't trust anyone but herself, probably wisely. And in crisis situations, like this or combat surgery, you handle the most immediate problems first and handle the next one (like finding Craigh na Dun) when it comes.
Flag
I can understand the need of returning to her own time. However, it bothers me greatly that Claire doesn't think about consequences of her actions (I will write more about this when the right time comes)

Claire should know by now that for a woman traveling alone in XVIII's century Scotland is VERY bad idea.

To avoid spoilers I suggest we'll return to the topic when Claire pulls such stunt next time.
Flag
I can understand her decision to make a run for it when the red coats attacked. An opportunity presented and fight of flight took over. Trying to get back to the stones is a slow, reasoned, calculated decision...though I can see how she's reasoned to herself how, even if she gets there, she'll wind up back in her time.

And I compare Gellis to Ygritte only in that I've got a crush on both of them for reasons that aren't physical per say...they're just awesome. Maybe I've got a fetish for Scottish gingers ;)
Flag
Also curse you Mr. George R. R. Martin for killing Ygritte and by that forcing Rose to leave GoT.
Flag
It was good. I still don't know if it is my thing though.
Flag
Gellis' accent kept slipping.

It was a solid 2nd episode - probably more satisfying for book readers
Flag
As a Scot I wouldn't call it slipping, more of a wee ramble across the accents of many European countries. Aislin McGuckin's accent as Letitia, was just as jarring, whereas Annette Badland did a better job. It's probably the same when foreign actors do American accents, you notice it we don't. It's the fly in the ointment of an otherwise excellent show.
Flag
Certainly, Geillis's accent is a little idiosyncratic—and very likely actor Lotte Verbeek's birth nation and native tongue are contributing factors—but her voice is also. I quite like the quality of otherworldliness they've given Geillis. She's a striking woman as well, with uncannily pale eyes with which she always seems to be peering out of the corner. She's cloaked and guarded and curious, readily willing to confess her illegal profession and insinuate she's a witch. It makes a lot of sense that she would speak in a similarly strange and uncommon manner. If it's simply a consequence of the actor's difficulty keeping it from slipping, I'm still more or less okay with that.
Flag
Well, Lotte is from Netherlands so that's possible. Still I think she did good.

As book reader I was satisfied :)
Flag
I found it interesting that during her first dinner appearance where Claire makes her faux-pas about Dougal being Hamish's father that a lot of eyes in the room had the look of confirmed suspicion. Like they all thought the same thing? Anyone else get that impression?
Flag
Yeah, that scene was considerably more fraught, and subsequently conspicuous, than it probably needed to be. "Whatever" has the whole laird's table in a funk could easily have been brushed off. Claire need only admit she saw Dougal and Hamish fooling around in the courtyard with the other children, and since Dougal is, at least in the official story, Hamish's uncle, this is an easy mistake to make. There is, after all, supposed to be a strong family resemblance among all the MacKenzies, including Jamie (a MacKenzie on his mother's side). *BOOK SPOILER, highlight for text* It makes the eventual revelation that Dougal is, in fact, Hamish's biological father a little too obvious from the beginning, especially since thanks to Geillis Claire suspects Jamie for some time. Given that all the participants conspired together to pull off the switch, I'm a little surprised that they're so sensitive about such a small mistake made by a stranger. Now they've tipped their hand to it. *END SPOILER*
Flag
Agree with your spoiler comment. Too heavy handed
Flag
For sure Hamish's parentage is not a popular subject in Castle Leoch. Who knows - we may here more about it later on :)
Flag
I love Mrs. Fitzgibbons! She's adorable. The previews for next week having her screaming WITCH at Claire, lol... that should be fun.

I'm glad you're reviewing this, since you've read the books. I might have to get the first one and give it a try, but I think I'll wait until season 1 is over. I've read all of A Song of Ice and Fire, and sometimes knowing what's coming, and what they've left out (and added in) bugs me a bit. I guess I'm really only bothered when they aren't true to a character's character!
Flag
Thanks! Since I'm writing it from a point of books' admirer - it should be a bit different from what Lily's doing in her reviews. As long as someone will be reading this I'm happy to do it.

I love Game of Thrones - but I haven't read a single page of A Song of Ice and Fire - I normally hate spoilers. I'll probably read the whole thing once the show ends.

So I understand you want to wait till season ends. A fair warning - it's possible that once you finish book 1 you will want to read Dragonfly in Amber ASAP :)

And yes - Mrs. Fitzgibbons is awesome!
Flag
I'm not enjoying Lily's reviews at all. They seem very childish to me and as if she doesn't even like it so I'm glad that someone else who actually likes the show is doing a review.
Flag
Awwww thanks :) I'm glad you like my reviews and hope you will continue to read them :)
Flag
Books and their TV-series.... with GoT after season 3 I couldn'T stop myself from getting the books and reading them from front to back.
Yes, it changes the experience of watching but not in a negative was imo. Now the anticipation of the big events and reveals is even higher :)

We will see if at some point I feel the same about Outlander, but I somehow suspect so. Especially if the pace remains rather slow. It has picked up in this second episode though and I will coninue watching.

Also: thanks for continuing to post reviews even though Lily is doing a review as well. I always enjoy a good viewer-review - not just because I did some myself (for Continuum) but because they usually offer a different (and more authentic) view on a show. So, THANKS!
Flag
You're welcome and thanks for the kind words :)

As for getting the books - as far as I know reading Outlander has never killed anybody. And many people enjoyed it greatly. I would strongly recommend all 8 books :)

What I find difficult - is to avoid spoilers - when someone asks in the comments if this or that will happen. I'm doing my best so please don't tempt me :)
Flag
Well - there is nothing I dislike more with tv shows or movies are spoilers.
Reading a book series is not really a spoiler because basically that is a sort of entertainment all by itself.

So reading book(s) which a series is based on is ok - spoiling stuff in the comments (where I haven'T read the books) is not appreaciated :D
See - it's all about my enjoyment while watching....
Flag
I love spoilers, so I won't be mad at ya if you let one slip now and then!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members