An Outlander Community
Saturday 9:00 PM on Starz

First of all - thank you tv.com staff for creating the community for Outlander and using the name Lallybroch.

As you probably all know by now Ronald D. Moore's "Outlander" is based on Diana Gabaldon bestseller book series. The show follows the story of War World II nurse, Claire Randall who time travels to 18th century war-torn Scotland. There she meets young Jamie Fraser, a man who will change her life forever.

Season 1 will begin Saturday, August 9 at 9pm on Starz.

If by any chance it's the first time you hear about Outlander I recommend these YouTube videos:

I strongly recommend getting the Outlander books and reading them before the show starts. You can buy them for example on Amazon.

I'll update this post once Starz releases new material.

Summer can't come soon enough!
Comments (24)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular

I thought the introduction to the show using shots of Claire in wartime and the relationship between her and Frank was time well spent.It also gives a clue as to where she acquired some of her skills and interests(the war, and her uncle) and of what they might be.While the characters do not exactly fit my “mind pictures” from the books, they are close enough to be able to get used to them.As a fan of the novels, I thought it gave a good opportunity to gain a little insight into both of them, and their relationship showing the difficulty in re-adjusting to each other after a long and stressful separation.I was also very glad to see some of the area of Scotland around the stone circle, and thought the Druid dance was beautiful – both the dance, and the atmosphere surrounding it.And I think Jamie has “nailed” his accent rather well.He sounds like he “sounds” in the books to me, anyway!
Flag
#WhereisClaire

Flag
For those of you who have never read the books, the TV series promises to be following the books very closely. From what Diana Gabaldon has been saying about the show, she fully supports what Ron D. Moore is doing to her books. If she is happy with the transfer from book to TV, then I think we are in for a rollercoaster ride of emotions in this series.

For those of you who HAVE read the books, Ron has said that they have included a lot more scenes from when Claire was a Nurse during the Second World War, that were only hinted at in Diana's books. Again Diana has fully approved those scenes. So this will be new material for us book worms who have read her series of books!

I am feeling confident that this series will be true to the books, and make riveting watching, because of the collaboration between Diana Gabaldon, and Ron Moore. Diana is taking an active interest in this series. She even has a cameo part in one episode!
Flag
I saw a promo for this on Showcase(Canada). I didn't know there was a time travel element to it! I may have to check this one out. I don't usually watch historical drama/romance but if there is time travel in it like Lost in Austen or Somewhere in Time etc... it makes the premise much more intriguing.
Flag
digital_dice, 'Somewhere in Time' is a good comparison, but there's a lot more action & adventure involved with the 'Outlander' saga, not to mention depth of character development. It's a great story and as janetlapierre mentioned it's "one heck of a ride".
Flag
If you have not read the books I would highly recommend them. You are in for one heck of a ride!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Digital_dice - I think Outlander will positively surprise you :)
Flag
The first time I read Outlander I was 14...I always go back to reading this series every couple of years.

I am so excited to watch this show! The books are fantastic and with Moore on board my expectations are extremely high.
Flag
I have great expectations too. And judging by what Starz showed us so far I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Caitriona Balfe looks exactly how I imagined Claire.

When I saw Sam Heughan for the first time I though: "he's too old to play Jaimie." However, now I think he's purrrfect for this role.

I can't wait to see the pilot.
Flag
I have never heard of the books. This is the first time hearing about the show.
Is the show supposed to mimic the books, i.e. Game of Thrones....or is it supposed to take on a life of its own?
I take it you have read the books? Is this more fantasy, romance, or what?

Just from what I have seen, it comes off to me like a Harlequin Romance-ish type story.

I am a fan of time travel, and the old-world stories of Scotland-Ireland. Just wondering what kind of audience will be watching this.
Flag
1. Yes, the show will mimic the books as close as possible in tv. Ronald D. Moore specifically confirmed that during the fan gathering. So you if you read the books - you will know exactly what will happen.

2. I'm a fangirl of Outlander saga. Outlander belongs to many genres. It's historical fiction (for example the first two books focus on Jacobite rising of 1745), advanture, action, romance and a little bit of fantasy (the time travel thing).

It's not by any mean Harlequin Romance type of story.

There is a great movie called "Rob Roy" with Liam Neeson. That's kind of a story (and it happens in almost the same time!) you can expect from Outlander.

3. If you like both time travel and old-world Soctland stories - then it's a show (and the books! Buy the books! RUN!!!!) made for you.

4. There is lot of sex, violence and mature stuff in the books (and they are well justified by the story - 18 century Scotland wasn't exactly a safe place to live) which will be fetured in the show (we're talking about Starz after all). So it's definitely story for adults only.

If you have any other questions - ask and I will do my best to answer them.
More +
Flag
try reading Sara Donati, she is another historical fiction writer, Into the Wilderness is the first, and somewhere in the series(revolutionary war) Claire and Jamie actually pop in.... I was very excited when that happened.
Flag
Thanks! I'll check it out! :)
Flag
Just because I want to be surprised, I am going to skip the books. I don't want to be expecting one thing and something happens, or envision the scene one way and it is entirely different.
The same reason why I never read the Game of Thrones books. A friend of mine is constantly saying how this or that is different/better, or something else.
Don't get me wrong though, the show definitely sounds good and intriguing. I will be keeping an eye out for it.
Flag
You should definitely read the books (at some point) because they're totally worth it. They're really well written with great character development, wonderful settings, tons of historical research, an insane attention to sensory details... I could go on and on. This is a series worth reading again and again. And I have a feeling the TV series will be one worth watching again and again. Cannot WAIT. The cast and crew have been amazing at giving the fans an inside look into the process. "Be more than a fan. Join #TheClan."
Flag
I'm very excited about this show and will also watch it even though I haven't read the books. But the books have been on my radar for a few years now and I will probably eventually read them anyway (as I will with SoIF) but for now I rather enjoy the series completely clueless, I prefer it that way. It's a long book series anyway, would take so long to read them all with all my other activities, and I wouldn't want to wait so long to watch the show.
Flag
I've read the books (many times) but I'd agree with your decision not to read them at this stage. I actually found GoT boring because I had read the books and knew exactly what was going to happen. I'm hoping that won't happen with Outlander though.
Flag
No worries, I fully understand you - I love GoT, but I haven't read the books (I'll do it once the show ends). I hate spoilers.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Training Day Sunset
    NEW
    CBS