Outlaw Star Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2001)

Many call Outlaw Star a ripoff of Cowboy Bebop.

toadiscool

[1]Jun 1, 2006
    • level: 9

That is incorrect.

1. Outlaw Star couldn't of copied it because Cowboy Bebop was made 9 months and 1 day later.

2. Both have similar intros. That doesn't prove any copying. They were both made by the same studio.

3. As I said, both made by the same studio.

Note: This is my opinion.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Scummbuddy

[2]Jun 2, 2006
    • level: 7
    Who ever said they were a copy of one another? They are completly different and I've never seen the arguement brought up, and especially not brought up with any comparable facts.

Anten7

[3]Jun 2, 2006
    • level: 5
    I heard it from a few people online and like one person off line but he said that some people consider Outlaw Star the poor mans version of Cowboy Bebop.

toadiscool

[4]Jun 2, 2006
    I've herd it somewhere on the internet. I forgot where. 

bwing55543

[5]Jun 3, 2006
    Yep, both anime came out at around the same time by the same company. The people that call Outlaw Star a "rip-off" seem to be people that are just trying to give an excuse for not liking it because they can't think of a better one. I like both Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop.

sesho2022

[6]Jun 3, 2006
    • level: 47
    bwing55543 wrote:
    Yep, both anime came out at around the same time by the same company. The people that call Outlaw Star a "rip-off" seem to be people that are just trying to give an excuse for not liking it because they can't think of a better one. I like both Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop.

I like them both, too. They each have different pluses. I think Outlaw Star has more comedy in it.

bwing55543

[7]Jun 14, 2006

sesho2022 wrote:
    bwing55543 wrote:
    I like them both, too. They each have different pluses. I think Outlaw Star has more comedy in it.

Yeah, Outlaw Star was funnier, but Bebop had better animation and fight scenes.

SoLiOZuZ

[8]Jun 27, 2006
    • level: 10
    If you really think about it, I don't think it's a rip-off at all. The start off at a same theme but go in opposite directions. Outlaw Star seems more hopeful and provides a really great "follow-your-dream" theme throughout the anime. It show's how no matter what your situation, there is always a way out. Cowboy Bebop had different theme for each of it's episodes and more so, the overall theme of the show was sort of depressing and more down-to-earth when compared with Outlaw Star. They are both great anime's, people that say one's rip-off of the other, fail to see the differences and therefore should re-evaluate the anime.

Kon-Kai

[9]Jul 2, 2006
    • level: 11
    How could you even compare the two?! That's like apples and Oranges - yea they are both by the same studio but the story lines and characters are completely different!

princesskiko

[10]Jul 30, 2006
    • level: 1
    out law star and cowboy bebop i like them both but outlaw star came out first WAY before !!! cowboy bebop!
    soooo wah it does not mean its a rip off ! there two great shows !! like the summar said it is based in the american japinse thing and cowboy bebop was like the tokyo , TOKYO thing so do NOT CALL THEM A rip OFF!

hammeydigital

[11]Jan 5, 2007
    • level: 6
    In my opinion Outlaw star is way more like Trigun then Bebop. Think about it Gene is covered in scars just like Vash. Gene and Vash both rock crazy handguns that have special powers. Thers lost technology like in trigun. The only way its like bebop is that they both take place in space. I think Outlaw star is a good show. But it aint got nothin on Bebop.

Razz_the_Great

[12]Apr 11, 2007
    They do bear a slight resemblance to each other but thats surely just because they were made by the same studio. And anyway as has already been mentioned Outlaw Star was made first so I guess that kind of voids any possible argument.

LeeRocks

[13]Apr 12, 2007
    • level: 13
    Razz_the_Great wrote:
    They do bear a slight resemblance to each other but thats surely just because they were made by the same studio. And anyway as has already been mentioned Outlaw Star was made first so I guess that kind of voids any possible argument.

rofl, way to be the peace keeper

John666666666

[14]Jun 11, 2007
    • level: 16

Listen they shows are completely different. Here is a except from my review.

First the tone of the shows are different. Cowboy Bebop was more of a action/drama and Outlaw Star was a action/adventure. The animation styles were also different. Cowboy Bebop was darker and Outlaw Star was lighter in tone. The stories were completely different. Cowboy Bebops story was more condensed concentrating on the characters, who they were and how they got to where they were. Outlaw Star was much broader focusing on the adventure looking for the Galactic Lay Line, not looking to deep into the characters. Finally the music was different. Cowboy Bebop had many different styles from jazz, rock, classic and opera. Outlaw Star didn't, just having one style of music.

So to sum things up Outlaw Star isn't a rip off of Cowboy Bebop, they are two completely different shows and are nothing alike except they were made by the same company and came out about the same time. Outlaw Star is a great anima, but not a classic for some of the reasons above.

sesho2022

[15]Jun 24, 2007
    John666666666 wrote:

Listen they shows are completely different. Here is a except from my review.

First the tone of the shows are different. Cowboy Bebop was more of a action/drama and Outlaw Star was a action/adventure. The animation styles were also different. Cowboy Bebop was darker and Outlaw Star was lighter in tone. The stories were completely different. Cowboy Bebops story was more condensed concentrating on the characters, who they were and how they got to where they were. Outlaw Star was much broader focusing on the adventure looking for the Galactic Lay Line, not looking to deep into the characters. Finally the music was different. Cowboy Bebop had many different styles from jazz, rock, classic and opera. Outlaw Star didn't, just having one style of music.

So to sum things up Outlaw Star isn't a rip off of Cowboy Bebop, they are two completely different shows and are nothing alike except they were made by the same company and came out about the same time. Outlaw Star is a great anima, but not a classic for some of the reasons above.

Just because a show has humor, doesn't mean it's less deep. But you're right that the characters in Cowboy Bebop have more depth.

ShadyMilkman500

[16]Aug 2, 2007
    • level: 1
    There are obviously similarities, like the narrator in OS is the same voice as Jet. The ships, bounty hunting, Bebop is like an outlaw star v2.0 even though they're both good shows. The only reason people say Outlaw stole from Cowboy is because Bebop was more popular.
    Edited on 08/02/2007 10:12pm

bwing55543

[17]Aug 16, 2007

ShadyMilkman500 wrote:
    There are obviously similarities, like the narrator in OS is the same voice as Jet. The ships, bounty hunting, Bebop is like an outlaw star v2.0 even though they're both good shows. The only reason people say Outlaw stole from Cowboy is because Bebop was more popular.

Only in the English dubs are the voices the same. They were voiced by different voice actors in the Japanese.

anticonformityx

[18]Sep 2, 2007
    LeeRocks wrote:
    Razz_the_Great wrote:

rofl, way to be the peace keeper

lol, Razz does have a point though. To me, Outlaw Star is more adventure and comedy, and Bebop has comedy too but there are a lot of times where the issues get a bit more serious than they did in Outlaw Star. Despite what everyone has said so far in this topic, I think Outlaw Star pwns Bebop anyday..not the other way around.

breaksystembse

[19]Sep 16, 2007
    • level: 3

you gotta remember something...Wendee Lee directed both voice acting as well as the animation direction was the same guy too.

Anyway, Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop are both ingenius masterpieces of Sunrise, Sostu Agency, and Bandai Visual work.

sesho2022

[20]Sep 19, 2007
    breaksystembse wrote:

you gotta remember something...Wendee Lee directed both voice acting as well as the animation direction was the same guy too.

Anyway, Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop are both ingenius masterpieces of Sunrise, Sostu Agency, and Bandai Visual work.

Both are great shows!