Outlaw Star

Cartoon Network (ended 2001)

sesho2022

Outlaw Star Fan Reviews (26)

• An all time classic show.

Gene is a petty crook but generally a good guy who by a few random acts of chance ends up with the most advanced ship in the galaxy. With this ship; the Outlaw Star Gene and his ragtag crew go on a quest to find the Galactic Leyline and along the way battle numerous enemies.

This is a great action packed space set show. It has interesting characters and some very good plotlines throughout. The fight scenes are good and the character dynamics work really well. All in all it is an excellent show with some very good qualities and one that should be enjoyed by more people.
  • the only way to describe this anime is perfection.i fell in love with this much over looked anime when it first aired on cartoon network's toonami.even now i consider it to be on of the best anime's since tirgun and cowboy bebop.

wow! this anime is just mind blowing is'nt it?.i mean from it's ironic and witty hummer,to it's great classic love story and it's over the top action sences.Even now i wonder if i'll ever see another show like it.Hope not cause this show is my favorite anime.the one thing that did get my attention in outlaw star was how at first you don't really think of it as a love story.untill you see the developing love story bettween gene and melfina.then theres gene the classic character you know the type of character thats put in to one strange situation after another.well all"N"all the show is still and will always remain as one of the best animes i'll ever see.
  • I remember recording this show when it aired on Toonami every day on VHS.

Outlaw Star has an exciting plot with fun characters. It has an old feel to it, but at the same time it takes place in the future. It made me laugh a lot, but simultaneously this show had its serious moments. With lots of action and a bunch of awesome gadgets, Outlaw Star continues to satisfy the viewer. This is definetly an Anime that would be good for a starter show, but if you've seen a lot of space/futuristic Anime's you'll probably get a little sense of de ja vu. Luckily for me, this show was one of my first Animes, so I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a show definetly worth having in every collection.
  • One of the greatest.

It's about a man named Gene Starwind who drifts in space and ends up meeting these people I forget there names and they must stop these evil brothers the Mcdougal brothers from taking over the world. For a Sci-Fi anime this has action in it and I especaly like the names there all named after famous people a lot of people claim this rip's off Cowboy Bebop it doesn't at all it came out before Cowboy Bebop even so Cowboy Bebop does not rip off Outlaw Star either I really wish I could re watch this show I would love to see this again so I give this the same rating TV.com gave it.
  • Yes Bring it back I want to see more, thats just ain't fair how they tease you with one season.

I just finish watching all of the first season on myspace videos because youtube didn't have them, which was a surprise to me but watching the entire first season over again was great and it reminded me of the shows I missed and the whole reason behind outlaw star. At the end when Gene gets to make a wish and he should of asked for money to pay off his debt, I don't know what he was thinking about only wishing to have mellfema, he should of wished for both. This show was action packed and one season is just not enough for me and I don't know why it was enough for the creators so I say bring it back because the next season will be worth it.
  • It had the unfortunate time of coming out the same time as Cowboy Bebop.

Outlaw star is a great anime, it just had the unfortunate time of coming out the same time as Cowboy Bebop. I hear and read people saying it's a rip off of Cowboy Bebop, but it's not. First the tone of the shows were different. Cowboy Bebop was more of a action/Drama and Outlaw Star was a action/adventure. The animation styles were different. Cowboy bebop was darker in tone while Outlaw Star was lighter in tone. The stories were completely different. Cowboy Bebop was more condensed in broadness of the show, instead going into details about the characters lives and how they got where they are. Outlaw Star was a adventure, traveling through space searching for the Galactic Lay Line, never going to deep into the characters. Finally the music was different. Cowboy Bebop mixed it's styles from Jazz, rock, classical and Opera. Outlaw Star didn't, just having one style of music.

So to sum things up Outlaw Star isn't a rip off of Cowboy Bebop, they are two completely different shows and are nothing alike except they came out about the same time. Outlaw star is a great anime, but not a classic like Cowboy Bebop for some of the reasons listed above.
  • Outlaw start Such an awesome show they should have made a lot more episodes!!!!!!

Wow this show was Awesome So funny endepth Had alittle romance which I loved it almost makes me think of eureka seven a little bit when I watch it ,Its Just So Much fun I Love the music to it also its one of those animes you don't see very often I had lot's of fun watching it Pulls you into it. So many funny things that I love about it I only wish they would have made more because at the end it was a great ending even if they would have just left it like that it would have been great but they didn't and made it as if they where making more and never did so that made me very sad but other then that it was a Great show I think anyone that Likes anime should watch this because its awesome!!!!
  • I loved this show!!!!!

I loved this show. It was awesome. I wish they would bring it back but that's something else. This show was about Gene Starwind and his crew as they traveled in space and fought aganist pirates. The characters included Gene Starwind, Melfina, Aisha Clan-Clan, Jim Hawkings, Twilight Suzuka, Harry MacDougall, Ron MacDougall and any others. I loved every character and ther personailties. They all made the show great. I like how they traveled in space. Oh and Gene's ship was really cool. All of the villians were great. This show was action-packed with comedy in it. There was even romance in it at the end. This one was one of my fave shows to watch. This show is awesome. Yeah yeah. You know it. :]
  • Gene starwind 4eva!

i'm gonna get a gene starwing tattoo.

i think that pretty much sums this review up.

i cant describe in enough words how good this series is but for all die hard anime fans i can definetely give this series my reccomendation, it's a must see, hillarious, entertaining, sexual and thought provoking series that should be put on big screen as soon as possible, if you dont know what this series is, get it, you'll either like it or hate it, it's your choice but you just have to watch it.

Outlaw star for the big screen!

Gordon Muir for live action gene starwind!
  • My favorite anime of all time!!!

Gene Starwind, Jim Hawking, Melfina, Aisha Clan-clan, and Suzuika are bound togetther by there duities as the crew of the Outlaw Star, an advanced Spaceship design developed by the joint effort of the space forces and the pirates. Gene Starwind, Captain of The Outlaw Star, must discover the mistery of the Galactic Leyline and the Treasure it holds if he ever wants to solve the mystery of Melfina's past (and pay back Fred Loe).

• Very cool!

Of alot of the shows this had to be the most reconized when it was on. The whole plot was cool. I didn't like the ship battles I mainly only watched it to see the characters. The beginning theme song "Through The Night" was the best!!!!!!!! I remember trying to sing it..of course I failed miserably but who cares?
    I also drew the characters and their outfits. Its...original and just plain AWESOME! it still has DIE HARD FANS!!!
  • We need the show back! It was da bombanator!

This show has to be one of the best/and one of the rarest TV shows to find. They should make a full length movie in theaters, or a new season. Accounting that I have the DVD, I still miss the show. This show had funny and outragous characters. (Not to mention HAWT!)Aisha Clan-Clan is one of my favorite characters of all time due to the fact that she\'s the funniest. She\'s alot like me also, we\'re hungry alot, we\'re agressive, and we\'re funny. I also like cats which is why I like her. (Not to mention she\'s under the characters in the show that I think are HAWT! :P)

Pros:

Funny

Humerous

Anime

Good jokes.

HAWT uncut stuff

Cons:

NONE!
  • Sets in the near future and shows the adventures of Gene Starwind and Jim Hawking. Well just one of their adventures that has them exploring many different parts of the galaxy while fighting bad guys along the way.

Many call it a rip off of Cowboy Bepop but that's because they don't fully understand it. The Gene and Jim duo brings many laughs to the show because of their many differences mostly do to Jim's age. The action is great and isn't rushed or prolonged in anyway. So you don't have to worry about a fight lasting more then one episode or a fight just lasting one to two minutes. The characters are all well developed and bring something to the table. The bad guys are also unique because of there own personalities and abilities. They aren't all brainless lugs more powerful then the next. It has a few cliches since its creation but if you look past that you will see a great anime series.
  • Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This is soooo goood.

Outlaw Star is about two outlaws, Gene Starwind and Jim(cant remember his surname)who find a android named Melfina.They also get a spaceship,from Hilda which he names Outlaw Star.i.e.The name of the program.
    This is so good.
    It has humour, wit, fighting, robats, you name it.
    I would reccomend this to everyone.
    Its so cool.Seriously it is.You HAVE to watch this.
    Mmm*starts to dream* i wonder if i could get this is borders.....
  • great anime. One of the many i would recommend seeing.

Outlaw star is about Gene Starwind dream of a life as a outlaw. he suddenly winds up with a great job.but things go awry, and he finds himself the new owner of the fastest, most technologically advanced space ship in the galaxy. Unfortunately, it's stolen and the owners want it back Along with his partner Jim and the lovely Melfina, Gene must fight his way across the galaxy battling pirates, aliens and assassins as he attempts to discover the secrets of the Outlaw star.
  • one of the best anime's out there, paving the way for shows like cowboy bepob.

one of the best shows out there i would say. i saw it when i was younger, but i knew it was cut. I bought the DVD's and it alot funnier. But it is also serious. They did so well with the show. i wish they would put it on adult swim or something!
  • Great series about "outlaws" who are searching space for a mysterious treasure called the Galactic Leyline.

This is the show that first made me take an interest in anime. It is one of my all time favorites. It's about a guy named Gene Starwind (who is totally cool) who has a dream to become a "outlaw", which is a person who has a spaceship and looks for treasure in space not a part of any government. Gene suddenly gets his chance to become an outlaw and sets off with his partner Jim Hawking and a biodroid named Melfina in search of a treasure called the Galactic Leyline. There is plenty of adventure as they battle with pirates on there way to find the mysterious Leyline.
  • This show is very underappreciated in the ranks of excellent anime.

It is one of the best to ever come to the states, not to mention the world. It is accused of being a carbon-copy of Cowboy Bebop. However, overlooking the fact that the plot has nothing to do with Bebop, think of this, haters: It takes a lot of time to plan a television series, even if it's only intended to be 26 episodes long (the average good anime). Bebop started production in the mid-90s and released in Japan in '98. Knowing this, how could Star have copied Bebop if it was released just a year later? Simply stupidity on the part of Bebop fanatics. That is the reason so many people don't appreciate the genius of Outlaw Star. The characters of Gene, Jim, Tsuzuka, Aisha, and especially the android Mefina are well-developed and interesting. On top of that, Star has a realistic storyline: everyone is searching for one thing in life. This thing is embodied by the Galactic Leyline. Some people want riches, so they think it's a treasure (the Pirates). Some people are seearching for meaning in their life, so they think it's a gateway (Gene Starwind). But, similar to Ayn Rand's Objectivist masterpiece, Atlas Shrugged, one question remains: "What the hell is a Galactic Leyline?"
  • Gene Starwind and co. look for the Galactic Leyline in a wacky and action packed adventure through space.

When I say this show is absolutely incredible, take my word for it. Amazing in every known aspect and it runs for a decent amount of time. It ends in a place in whch it would be perfect to pick the series back up. And to anyone curious about purchasing this series, I would highly recommend it.
  • One of the easiest animes to get into, consistently great and a rarity in the anime world for having both a terrific subtitling as well as English dub job.

Outlaw Star. A series with interesting characters, cool effects, and the ability to stay exciting, even at times when you wouldn't necessarily expect it to be. It's not too short to get its story across, nor is it too long so as to become repetitive and boring.

I can honestly say that Outlaw Star is one of the biggest reasons I WATCH anime to begin with- It's as beautifully orchestrated as one could hope for, and actually makes common anime cliches (i.e. the Child Computer Genius, the angry catgirl, the swordfighter who can cut through metal with ease... They're all there) seem cool, and, dare I say it, almost ORIGINAL.

That's all not to mention some of the incredibly visually stunning effects- Many of which under two seconds long, causing me to rewind, and watch the entire thing two or three more times in super-slow motion. Things as simple as Gene pulling a knife out of his boot in the first episode are made to look rather impressive.

Further, the series effectively and realistically runs the full gamete of emotions- There are times in which I was nearly brought to tears (Such as the end of the episode "Cats and Girls and Spaceships"), and there were also a healthy number of times in which I was laughing out loud.

Overall, even if it's not your favorite anime, it's hard to imagine that ANYBODY could truly, seriously dislike this series after having seen it.
  • Gene Starwind and his young partner Jim race to unlock the secrets of the Galactic Leyline.

This is one awesome anime!!! The animation is cool, particularly in episode 24 when the ship enters the Leyline. The Japanese acting edges over the dub only by a margin, both of which are excellent. The main characters are well drawn, well voiced, and very lovable. Melfina in particular seems to be the best done character. Both the English and Japanese actresses have voiced her expertly. If you have to watch this show, get the DVDs. Adult Swim showed the same version of the show as Toonami, with cuss words cut out and Melfina having a bikini digitally painted on in the Nav tube scenes. Episode 23, Hot Springs Planet Tenrei, got cut out completely because of the innuendo, but it was a funny episode.
  • best anime show ive seen in ages

this show is so cool its it is definatly worth ure time exept if xiaolin showdowns on :D but i still like it alot awesome some episodes are pathetic but the others are awesome if you have never watched it then change ure channel quick i think that you will love it
  • Outlaw Star is truly one of the greatest Anime shows of all time. Even though it was around for a very short time, it's brilliant story and characters drew you in.

Outlaw Star was an incredible show and very addictive. It's characters were very unqiue and brilliant like Gene and Jim. This 26 episode show was always full of action and excitement, even though it was action packed it still had it's touching and more gentle side and all in all is a mind blowing show. It definetly isn't the most well known Anime shows of all time but it is definetly up there with the best like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. Overall this show just blew me away with it's great characters and amazing story line and I would recommend anyone who is a fan of Anime to check this one out.
  • A Wildest/Future Style Anime Show That Will Not Disapoint

You have a outlaw with a HUGE debt to pay Gene Starwind, his young genius side kicks Jim Hawking, A strong strong and very sexy cat girl Ashia Clan Clan, A Sexy Ninja Assasian, and A gentical made Woman and add to that a Living Star Ship and add alot of deadly space prates and you got Anime GOLD!
  • Amazing Anime Show

The detail put into this short running series was absolutly amazing. The characters were accesible and funny and the action was always fast paced and intense. Anyone who enjoys action pack anime but is finding that most shows seem to lack that special somthing within them will ifnd that missing link in this show. Although short it provides great closure and all together is an emersive, wonderful story with absolutly FABULOUS art direction. This is a must see and one of my favorite anime series of all time.