Outlaw Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

UPDATE: Outlaw is officially OUT to pasture :(

atc4gvn

[1]Oct 9, 2010
    • level: 20

It's official. After only FOUR episodes, the peacock has plucked out it's OUTLAW feather and will "shake it off" over the next Saturdays, effectively"burning off" the last FOUR episodes already produced.The ratings had put it near the bottom of the list of shows, and with an original order of only eight episodes, and a 10pm Friday night spot, you could argue the network really didn't give the show much of a shot.

TV by the Numbers website had the following to announce just last week:

"NBC has shut down production on the low-rated Outlaw that airs Fridays at 10pm, but plans to continue to air it at least for the next few weeks. Eight episodes of the show have been produced and only three have aired so far leaving five in the can. NBC says it will evaluate Outlaw's performance over the next few weeks. Barring a miraculous ratings turnaround (it's last two episodes garnered 1.1 and 1.0 adults 18-49 ratings respectively) it looks like production has shut down for good." Also, in a poll at the website over which show site participants believe will be pulled off the air next between Running Wilde, The Whole Truth, Outlaw, or "None of the above" OUTLAW came in with 40% of the vote with The Whole Truth a close second at 35%."

Well, I guess the "few weeks" of evaluation were just too long! I wish networks would let the produced eps play out. You could argue that the reruns that would fill the timeslot wouldn't get any more ratings. Would it hurt them that much to just let the show play out? I suppose it's all about the money, and the advertisers that pull ads from ratings-low shows don't help. I like the new concept and the actors. I wish the show had another chance, possibly in a different timeslot or day. Do you think Outlaw should have aired earlier or on a different day.

Check out this article and sound off below. (copy and paste address below) It's pretty funny about this season's television tastes. From adding vampires, werewolves, and cheerleaders to growing a mustache (like Tom Selleck, who stars on another Friday night show it's a humerous poke at our strange viewing habits and what seems to be getting the ratings these days. Enjoy!

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/outlaw-how-the-show-couldve-been-saved-from-cancellation--1636#pel

Edited on 10/12/2010 7:24pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Besagno141

[2]Oct 9, 2010
    • level: 2
    I really like this show i don't understand why this is happening

zepherous35

[3]Oct 10, 2010
    • level: 26

It really is too bad. But, all the new series aren't doing well. I thought Jimmy Smits could carry this one with star power alone, but I guess not. People are too reliant on reality-television and don't know when a good series comes along.

CarmenMercado

[4]Oct 12, 2010
    • level: 1

Can't believe you cancelled thus show.

It was such a great breathtaking show so different from the robbers and murderers shows you have. Seriously? Cancelled? WHY!!!! IM LOVE THIS YOU!!!!!

EmmieGorrell

[5]Oct 13, 2010
    • level: 1

What a major loss to cancel this show, when it was up against Tom Selleck's show, whatever it's called. This show didn't have a chance to make any significant changes(a few casting errors, some improved writing at times) or gain a following, although, my dh and I have watched it and enjoyed it every time it's been on. Try it at a different time and GIVE IT SOME PUBLICITY!!! There are loads of Jimmy Smits(aka Bobby Simone!)fans out here, along with me, and the network needs to make some casting changes, there are some weak actors on the show, and Jimmy Smits' acting ability really shines anyway, but with these couple of weak cast members, Jimmy is the shine of the show. Of course, he usually is! He has a lot of fans and you are tossing a potential major hit away- no big surprise that Magnum, PI is gonna win over a show whose name wasn't even ever publicized so that the public knew the context of the word, "Outlaw". It really gets to me when you have such a talented actor as Jimmy Smits, and you throw the show away, if it doesn't bring in viewers under impossible circumstances immediately.

zepherous35

[6]Oct 13, 2010
    • level: 26

I enjoyed watching the series. It is too bad that it got canceled; that's two for Jimmy. He needs a good series to be on that he can show off his talent has an actor. I thought this series was it, but I guess I was wrong.

joetaxpayer

[7]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 3
    Besagno141 wrote:
    I really like this show i don't understand why this is happening

Sorry, my fault. After the first two episodes, I told my wife "this is one of the best new show this year." I should have kept my mouth shut.

thatmonkey

[8]Oct 18, 2010
    • level: 10

WOW! Some of you really loved this show. Me on the other hand, I liked it and hate to see it go. The state of TV sucks. The show needed some retooling, but was completely salvageable. I think the show had some potential, but the gambling aspect was a little too heavy and the tough girl investigator was a little too masculine. J Smitts and that young attorney were two great reasons to save The West Wing back in the day, but unfortunately NBC was quick to pull the plug. Makes me wonder is cutting ties with COB was a factor in not giving the show more time.

FYI, I loved Cane, but I guess CBS felt the same way about Jimmy as a lead.

sumdumgoi

[9]Oct 24, 2010
    • level: 5

I'm watching the final 4 episodes of Outlaw that NBC is burning off in its graveyard Saturday evening schedule before it goes off the air for good. I am a little distressed to find that the last two episodes I saw (episodes 5 and 6 of 8 total) were notably better than the early episodes. They showed an admirable plot and character complexity that were not always predictable. I think if NBC had stuck with Outlaw for a little longer, the critical reviews would have become more positive and perhaps the show would have attracted a larger audience. However, we will never know. All I can say is NBC let the show die prematurely and that I wish they had let Outlaw develop for a little longer both artistically and commercially.

PG

thatmonkey

[10]Nov 4, 2010
    • level: 10

sumdumgoi wrote:

I can say is NBC let the show die prematurely and that I wish they had let Outlaw develop for a little longer both artistically and commercially.

PG

Well said, this could and should have been reworked instead of canceled. It's way better than Chase, Chuck and has a lot more potential than the quick sinking "The Event" (which I do like as well). If it's gone it's gone, but it's wrong to be gone.

berngirl

[11]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 2

The show has a good premise, but unrealistic. No cases get to court as fast as these do on this show!!

carnival19

[12]Nov 7, 2010
    • level: 14

berngirl wrote:

The show has a good premise, but unrealistic. No cases get to court as fast as these do on this show!!

You have to understand this is a show, of course they cannot come back 12 weeks later to show them in court!!

It's a great show, it doesn't always end like we wish. Lots of potential that NBC once again didn't see, all because of the mighty rating (which really means $$$)

haldrey

[13]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 22
    At least they ended the show with one of the best law/court episode that I have ever seen. RIP to an excellent show.

Mew_Mokuba

[14]Jan 8, 2011
    • level: 17
    Well opposite a Tom Selleck series lack of advertisement and the title itself were all major factors. But the title I'd have to say was one of the biggest killers to this show. When I tried to tell my sister about the show she wrinkled her nose up and my mom was 'It's not a western.' So if you take people who only scroll the list to see what's on and see the name the first thoughts are going to be 'It's a western.' or It's about real outlaws like america's most wanted or Bonnie and Clyde or a series like the new show Chase (http://www.tv.com/chase/show/78487/summary.html?q=chase&tag=search_results;title;1) . If they had moved it or never put it against Tom Selleck and changed the title to Justice or Garza's Justice or anything that actually had to DO WITH THE SERIES! It might have had a better chance. The title would have made more sense if Garza had been on the supreme court and been kicked out and gotten into some trouble and now going out and helping people is a way to atone for his sins. But since that was not the case the title made no sense. That was a major factor for why no one gave the series a fighting chance. I think they wanted people to ignore it!

Plus my mom and sister both HATED and I found it boring and stupid the episode dealing with the issues between Garza's school and another school in a near by district. That episode couldn't have helped the ratings any.

carnival19

[15]May 9, 2011
    • level: 14

For those interested the series is available on DVD at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Complete-Jimmy-Smits/dp/B004KKYA7U/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1304990949&sr=1-2