Over the Top

ABC (ended 1997)

Over the Top Fan Reviews (1)

5.7
  • Pulled from the gutter by the fabulous Tim Curry.

A typical mediocre show that's predictable (mostly) and not brilliantly written (again mostly). I wish the kids had fewer lines, and it's so odd to find out that Steve Carell had a part, since the way he delivers his lines should have stayed with me. He's annoying at times and very over the top, yet still funny...at least for me, because I love the guy. Many others may not agree, including a critic that originally reviewed the show who said that he had never known true horror until Carell's performance.

Strangely, this show got me laughing much more often than not. Tim Curry's energy, heart, and comic timing are just spot-on, and most everything he does is worthy of at least a chuckle if not a full-on cackling fit. I personally gave this show high marks almost solely because of Curry, and his chemistry with Annie Potts was definitely a plus. If you decide to watch just one episode, definitely don't miss "The Nemesis" with John Ritter. After all this time it still hurts to see him, but I loved the umbrella fight.

Since "Over the Top" was canceled so quickly so long ago I almost thought I'd imagined it. I am glad I found it and blew off a whole day watching everything I could via YouTube. If it were available on DVD I would buy it immediately and sit my family down to watch.