Over There Forums

FX (ended 2005)

Cancelled!!!!!!

akpc32

[1]Nov 1, 2005
    • level: 3
    Sorry fellow OVER THERE fans, but FX has officially cancelled our favorite show. I will NEVER watch another show on this crappy network again. If they really think a loser show like" IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILA." is worth keeping and they got rid of OVER THERE, then they obviously have absolutely no taste what's so ever.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sandylo

[2]Nov 1, 2005
    NO0000000000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won't necessarily make a vow to boycott the network, but I will say I rarely watched FX before Over There, and now I won't likely watch it much anymore.

By the way, they now owe it to us to release the Season 1 DVD. If they don't do that, then I really will be upset.

maxmini

[3]Nov 1, 2005
    • level: 5
    Ill still watch FX but only for Rescue Me and Nip Tuck but theyve got to be high ending over there the show is gold

OTF

[4]Nov 1, 2005
    • level: 1
    Same here. I hardly ever watched that station, except with passing through channels. Over There was the only show that got me watching FX.

Bummer.

OTF

[5]Nov 1, 2005
    • level: 1
    There was a nice song played in the background of the final episode. Anyone know the group and the name of the song?

belfast-biker

[6]Nov 2, 2005
    • level: 4
    akpc32 wrote:
    Sorry fellow OVER THERE fans, but FX has officially cancelled our favorite show. I will NEVER watch another show on this crappy network again. If they really think a loser show like" IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILA." is worth keeping and they got rid of OVER THERE, then they obviously have absolutely no taste what's so ever.

I'm gutted. Easily one of my favourite programs on TV - only thing I look forward to more at the moment is Prison Break. Can't argue with a measly 2.1million viewers though. Hope it comes to the UK, I'll watch it all again, and I've been telling everyone about it here already.

Damn shame. If it's a success, maybe someone like Sky One wil take it over?

richarddean85

[7]Nov 2, 2005
    • level: 2
    Who did you here this from. I have looked everywhere and there is no press release or anything. Even tv.com doesn't list the show as cancelled.

Krullbob

[8]Nov 2, 2005
    • level: 2
    richarddean85 wrote:
    Who did you here this from. I have looked everywhere and there is no press release or anything. Even tv.com doesn't list the show as cancelled.

Statement Released by FX:

FX will not renew Over There for a second season based on the series' ratings performance over its 13-epsiode run. (Please see ratings information below).

Statement from John Landgraf, President and General Manager of FX Networks:

"I'm deeply proud of Over There, which was beautifully produced, acted, written and directed. The series was arguably the most critically acclaimed new television show of the year, a fact which made the decision not to renew it all the more difficult. That decision was motivated entirely by Over There's ratings performance and our belief that the numbers were reflective of what the show is about, rather than its quality or entertainment value. While are passionately committed to fostering great television, we are an advertiser supported network and the size of our audience is vital to our bottom line.

"It was a deeply gratifying experience for everyone at FX to work with Steven Bochco, Chris Gerolmo and their immensely talented and dedicated team of collaborators, whose artistry was reflected in each episode."

RATINGS INFORMATION:
    # For its 13-week run (Wednesdays, 10 PM ET/PT), Over There averaged 2.1 million total viewers and 1.3 million Adults 18-49.
    # Over There enjoyed a very strong premiere with 4.1 million total viewers and 2.4 million Adults 18-49.
    # Over There leveled off to an average of 2.1 million viewers and 1.3 million Adults 18-49 for episodes 2-9.
    # Over There then began a steady decline, eventually bottoming out at 1.35 million viewers and 882,000 for the season finale.
    # Over its final four episodes, Over There averaged 1.6 million total viewers and 990,000 Adults 18-49.

In comparison to FX's other drama series (most recent/current season):
    # Nip/Tuck is averaging 4.1 million total viewers and 2.9 million Adults 18-49 (#1 in basic cable on A18-49)
    # The Shield averaged 3.2 million total viewers and 2.0 million Adults 18-49
    # Rescue Me averaged 2.8 million total viewers and 1.8 million Adults 18-49

bobthebaker

[9]Nov 2, 2005
    • level: 6
    I wonder why they didn't wait for the international ratings to make an official announcement?

mapleleaf31

[10]Nov 2, 2005
    • level: 7
    This sucks, Over There had become one of my favourite shows, with Prison Break, 24 and Rescue Me.

future11b

[11]Nov 2, 2005
    I WILL NEVER WATCH FX'S SHOWS AGAIN, THEY WOULDN"T KNOW A GREAT TV SHOW IF IT BIT THEM IN THE REAR

Milks23

[12]Nov 2, 2005
    • level: 50
    FX network ends Iraq war drama Over There
    November 2, 2005 at 09:58:00 AM

Steven Bochco's take on Iraq war gets honorable discharge from FX following ratings-starved first season.

It's Over. Cable television's FX channel has decided not to renew the critically praised Iraq war drama Over There for a second season due to weak ratings during the show's initial 13-episode run, the network said Tuesday.
    Over There, a first-of-its-kind contemporary war drama about US troops in combat and their families back home, was cocreated by Steven Bochco, the veteran TV producer behind such landmark cop shows as Hill Street Blues and NYPD Blue.
    While Over There garnered mostly favorable reviews, the gritty, albeit fictionalized, depiction of a real war that has grown increasingly unpopular with the American public ultimately proved a turnoff to TV viewers.
    Although the series contained references to real-life events that have stirred debate over the war, including the Abu Ghraib prisoner-abuse scandal, the producers sought to avoid overt political messages about the conflict.
    The show got off to a promising start July 27 with 4.1 million viewers tuning in, a fairly healthy launch by cable TV standards, but the audience steadily declined from there.
    Through the 13th and final episode on Oct. 26, the program averaged a meager 2.1 million viewers overall. Only 1.35 million watched the series finale.
    "It became evident to us that the American public didn't want to see a dramatization of a war that was already going on," Yemaya Royce, a spokeswoman for Bochco's production company, told Reuters.
    "It made people uncomfortable to watch. I think that was the case for a lot of people," FX spokesman John Solberg added. "Clearly it was subject matter that was harsh."
    Said FX president and general manager John Landgraf: "The series was arguably the most critically acclaimed new television show of the year, a fact which made the decision not to renew it all the more difficult."
    Launching any new TV show is always a gamble. But for Bochco, the stakes were especially high for Over There, his first series on basic cable following a string of misfires on network television, including the ABC crime and legal dramas Blind Justice, Philly, and Total Security.
    Bochco recently took over as producer for the ABC political drama Commander In Chief and signed a three-year production deal with sister studio Touchstone Television.
    Both ABC and Touchstone are units of the Walt Disney. The FX network is owned by News Corp. Ltd.

Milks23

[13]Nov 2, 2005
    I'm not surprised......& there are a few more shows that I watch that I forsee will be cancelled

future11b

[14]Nov 2, 2005
    like...

Zoolander11

[15]Nov 2, 2005
    • level: 5
    fx acknowledges that is was a superb show... but couldnt pull in enough viewers.

They definitley need to release a s1 DVD with extras.

Milks23

[16]Nov 2, 2005
    Zoolander11 wrote:
    fx acknowledges that is was a superb show... but couldnt pull in enough viewers.

They definitley need to release a s1 DVD with extras.

they will

belfast-biker

[17]Nov 2, 2005
    • level: 4
    Even though I've seen it all, I'll still buy the DVD and still watch it all again if it comes to the UK.

Shows like this deserve suport.

SSGRivera

[18]Nov 2, 2005
    Future11b, just curious...your name, are you in High School and plan on going into the ARMY Infantry? Due...the show being cancelled is of no surprise. The show blows, it offers no realistic value during a time of war. It depicts women in a demoralizing value, it paints a picture that all Staff Sergeants (SSG SCREAM) are disrespectful to there Leaders (I.E. The LT.) when in fact they aren't, and last but not least, Soldiers just do go lighting up a Blunt (1st Episode) while deployed.

Overall, Over-There was mearly.....NOT Over There.

bobthebaker

[19]Nov 2, 2005
    future11b wrote:
    I WILL NEVER WATCH FX'S SHOWS AGAIN, THEY WOULDN"T KNOW A GREAT TV SHOW IF IT BIT THEM IN THE REAR

this reply is in all capitals...i don't think he's joking guys!

bobthebaker

[20]Nov 2, 2005
    SSGRivera wrote:
    Future11b, just curious...your name, are you in High School and plan on going into the ARMY Infantry? Due...the show being cancelled is of no surprise. The show blows, it offers no realistic value during a time of war. It depicts women in a demoralizing value, it paints a picture that all Staff Sergeants (SSG SCREAM) are disrespectful to there Leaders (I.E. The LT.) when in fact they aren't, and last but not least, Soldiers just do go lighting up a Blunt (1st Episode) while deployed.

Overall, Over-There was mearly.....NOT Over There.

you forgot the part where..........IT'S ENTERTAINMENT