Over There Forums

FX (ended 2005)

Cancelled!!!!!!

AllenD222

[21]Nov 3, 2005
    • level: 1
    SSGRivera wrote:
    Future11b, just curious...your name, are you in High School and plan on going into the ARMY Infantry? Due...the show being cancelled is of no surprise. The show blows, it offers no realistic value during a time of war. It depicts women in a demoralizing value, it paints a picture that all Staff Sergeants (SSG SCREAM) are disrespectful to there Leaders (I.E. The LT.) when in fact they aren't, and last but not least, Soldiers just do go lighting up a Blunt (1st Episode) while deployed.

Overall, Over-There was mearly.....NOT Over There.

I don't know what Army your in but Ive seen women act like that in the service, hell Ive had soldiers who'd joined simply to find a husband. Not all the husbands/wives that come back from tour come back to a happy homes. Yes not all SSG are disrespectful but I'm sure you seen one or two that were. Ive seen a 1st Sergeant throw a trash can simply because it hadn't been changed, was that respectful behavior? Finally no soldiers light up bluts? Then why do we give monthly piss tests? For fun, don't think so. (He smoked it BEFORE they left)I think it was closer to the truth than you want to admit.
    It was a very good show just at the wrong time. Most people would like to forget that we are 'over there'.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

debba1

[22]Nov 3, 2005
    What are those FX guys smokin'???!!!!!!!!

Both my husband and I love this show. I can't believe that a nation hooked on "reality tv" can't face the reality of the true horrors of war. I, too, will boycott this channel. Is it too much to hope for that another network could pick this show up?

csjlj

[23]Nov 4, 2005
    • level: 19
    My feeling is that the low ratings were just part of the story.
    The story behind the story is that it was probably too expensive. Very large cast for a serial drama. Special effects. Special effects with explosions means more insurance premiums to cover their cast and crew. Steven Bocho is a proven success = expensive. And I think everyone can agree that the writing was amazing; they are (were) probably proven writers brought in by Bocho and commanded a larger than average salary.
    Lastly, there is the advertising. They no doubt had a lot of pressure from some of their more conservative advertisers.

So with the production already in the can, they release the show so that it ends one month into prime time's new schedule. Suicide for a new show. If they wanted to develop it, they would have released it mid-year or during the beginning of the summer - the same way the Sci-Fi Channel and USA cultivates their hit shows.

Anyone mad at FX for canceling this show has the right to be in my opinion. I don't think they gave it a fighting chance.

garnetstar

[24]Nov 4, 2005
    • level: 2
    I'm going to write Fox one of my book-length, eloquent, messages about 1) how they screwed up big time in cancelling this show, and didn't give it a chance, and 2) how they'd better release the DVD pronto.

mjf85maf

[25]Nov 4, 2005
    • level: 6
    [/QUOTE]I don't know what Army your in but Ive seen women act like that in the service, hell Ive had soldiers who'd joined simply to find a husband. Not all the husbands/wives that come back from tour come back to a happy homes. Yes not all SSG are disrespectful but I'm sure you seen one or two that were. Ive seen a 1st Sergeant throw a trash can simply because it hadn't been changed, was that respectful behavior? Finally no soldiers light up bluts? Then why do we give monthly piss tests? For fun, don't think so. (He smoked it BEFORE they left)I think it was closer to the truth than you want to admit.
    It was a very good show just at the wrong time. Most people would like to forget that we are 'over there'.[/QUOTE]

First, let me say what a disappointment it was to see that this show's been cancelled.

I don't believe I've ever posted here, but I've followed most of the discussions, and I've got to agree here. SSG Rivera has posted numerous times regarding his disapproval with the portrayal of some of the characters on the show, but it's not only important to remember that it's entertainment, but that the characters themselves are "microcosms" if you will. I myself served (Air Force -- combat communications) more than a few years ago, and watching the show brought back more than a few memories and recollections of people I served with, both male and female. I myself had a liason in a laundry tent as well a a switch truck and a radar van, among other places. It's not unusual ... you have young people far from home (hell, AT home) and those things will happen. I've smoked pot and hash while on TDY, swapped Marlboros for drugs with soldiers of other countries we worked with...these things happen. I've met and even been close with spouses like Vanessa. I don't advocate a lot of what I did; I was young and really didn't give a damn about a lot of things, but I did have pride in the accomplishment of the job I was trained for and never failed to give that 100%.

Really, my point is that you shouldn't be so hard on the show. It's closer to the truth than you want to admit...

--by the way, is the spell check on this board the worst you've ever see, or is it just me?

NEPAKevin

[26]Nov 4, 2005
    • level: 4
    Unless I am mistaken, there are a few shows that have been cancelled and then brought back after fans complained and set up boycotts. If the other boards are to believed, this series has a following and a write in campaign might be in order. On the other hand, the last attempt I know of, by Star Trek fans (and they don't get much more obsessive than them) failed even though they even raised funds to pay for the first few episodes of a new season.

garnetstar

[27]Nov 4, 2005
    yeah. thanks, kevin, i'm going to start my letter-writing and calling campaign.

sloaf33

[28]Nov 9, 2005
    Does anyone know a working fx website... or have an email for a representative? They owe us a season two..or at least season one dvd.

NEPAKevin

[29]Nov 10, 2005
    http://www.fxnetwork.com/

user@fxnetworks.com

http://www.fxnetwork.com/shows/originals/overthere/main.html

There is a message board but it's a PIA to post anything of any length and there are a lot of "trolls" posting there.

berrystrawberry

[30]Nov 10, 2005
    The MB on FX already had one thread filled up with the number of people saying that they wanted a second season and started another one that already has almost 150 posts on it supporting a second season. I thought the ratings for this show were really good just from the number of people that I know who watch it. All of my friends watch it. The few that didnt watched one epi at our prompting and got hooked. My husband and I watched this show religiously every week. We were SOO disappointed just when the season ended.. But now to find out they cancelled the show! I will definatly be writing a long email to FX and hope that others will do the same.

cyan700

[31]Nov 10, 2005
    Let me just say that I do not like watching war movies or show or anything like that. But I started to watch over there to see what it was about. I was hooked and I really cared about the characters. I think this show being pulled is a prime example of why Hollywood is losing money at the box office.

They only want to make the money, they don't necessarily care HOW. This group of actors were phenominal I only wish that HBO would pick it up to make it even MORE better (more better meaning no commercials heh heh). The writing was really good and again the acting was AWESOME.

FX has truly messed up; sheesh look how many chances the FOX network (primary Fox network) has given Arrested Development. I mean that TOUT it as the best show you're NOT watching!!! Granted I don't know the numbers but EVERYONE says its a great show and NO ONE WATCHES IT yet they pick it up year after year.

SHAME ON YOU FX for picking FLUFF over quality for lack of a chance. EVEN SEINFELD bombed the first time out and its a cult classic now!!!

cyan700

[32]Nov 10, 2005
    You may be correct in some areas but what you're not thinking about is that this show may have made some people sensitive to what the actual experience was there for soldiers. Although things were not followed to the LETTER military wise, it was scratching the service a little.

The cast was great and I'm sure they threw in a few this and that for affect for "The Show", but overall you cannot say that one show depicts ALL soldiers as this or that. If that were true you may as well sanitize ALL shows/movies available for view because that means everyone is an idiot and cannot separate fact from fiction.

Give some people credit for actually having a brain.

cyan700

[33]Nov 10, 2005
    SSGRivera wrote:
    Future11b, just curious...your name, are you in High School and plan on going into the ARMY Infantry? Due...the show being cancelled is of no surprise. The show blows, it offers no realistic value during a time of war. It depicts women in a demoralizing value, it paints a picture that all Staff Sergeants (SSG SCREAM) are disrespectful to there Leaders (I.E. The LT.) when in fact they aren't, and last but not least, Soldiers just do go lighting up a Blunt (1st Episode) while deployed.

cyan700

[34]Nov 10, 2005
    SSGRivera wrote:

You may be correct in some areas but what you're not thinking about is that this show may have made some people sensitive to what the actual experience was there for soldiers. Although things were not followed to the LETTER military wise, it was scratching the service a little.

The cast was great and I'm sure they threw in a few this and that for affect for "The Show", but overall you cannot say that one show depicts ALL soldiers as this or that. If that were true you may as well sanitize ALL shows/movies available for view because that means everyone is an idiot and cannot separate fact from fiction.

Give some people credit for actually having a brain.

NEPAKevin

[35]Nov 10, 2005
    berrystrawberry wrote:
    I will definatly be writing a long email to FX and hope that others will do the same.

I sent an email but chose to keep it brief as I believe an opus would most likely be file 13ed. Basically, I tried to express my feelings that the show has merit and value that transcend ratings. In that it inspires dialog about the soldiers and may help those of us who have little or no experience with existence under combat conditions to empathize with their experiences which are so different from that of a peace time first world country, a series such as Over There may in some small way help to create a more sympathetic world for those who serve in harms way to come back to.

I don't know how good of a job I did in trying to briefly express how well the show did in presenting subtle themes and making references to the often ignored nuances, like the Syrian Jehadists who tried to run the road block in the second(?) episode. In just a few lines and images, they managed to present one of the most difficult to comprehend issues of the middle east. The symbolic use of the characters is something not often seen in American TV and is more typical of BBC productions. While there may have been many technical inaccuracies, the bigger picture of how the soldiers have to exist in the complex and often illogical third world while being micromanaged for political correctness to the point where it endangers their lives was simply brilliant.

jime373

[36]Nov 11, 2005
    God! I am so disappointed by this! My husband and I made a date every Wednesday to watch "Over There." It was one of our favorite shows to watch!! Just the whole idea of what the show is based on keeps people watching. I realize it may not be exactly to the T of what soldiers go through.. but come on... nothing else. except the real thing!! But, it does however give us civilians a taste of reality and also helps those who have family members over there see alittle side of what goes on! With my kids, they felt closer!! They have a father who was there! I just believe they should bring it back.. Ah!! Who do we write too. Please advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Milks23

[37]Nov 14, 2005
    • level: 50
    not surprised

pelechan

[38]Nov 15, 2005
    The actors seem to be moving on already.

Jones Confirmed for Blade Series
    Source: Variety November 10, 2005

Spike TV has cast Kirk "Sticky" Jones to star in the cable channel's premiere original drama effort Blade, reports Variety.

Based on the comic book and film franchise of the same name, Blade centers on a half-man, half-vampire warrior endeavoring to save the human race from a demonic underworld.

Feature screenwriter David Goyer (Batman Begins, the "Blade" trilogy) is executive producing and co-writing the script with the comic's author Geoff Johns. New Line Television is producing.

Spike committed to the project in spring and production is set to begin November 14 in Vancouver. Should Blade get a series pickup, Spike executives are eyeing a June 2006 premiere.

Jill Wagner, Neil Jackson, Nelson Lee and Jessica Gower round out the cast. Peter O'Fallon will direct.

Marvel's Avi Arad and New Line's Jim Rosenthal and Jon Kroll also will executive produce. Bill McGoldrick and Lisa Ullmann will oversee for Spike.

Jones was a regular on FX drama "Over There" and had a recurring role on "The Shield." He is best known, however, as frontman "Sticky Fingaz" for hip-hop group Onyx.

meganward04

[39]Nov 19, 2005
    • level: 9
    well jime, being a military wife myself having a little one and one on the way. My husband went to iraq for his year and is leaving again in jan. 2006. I couldnt watch it as much as i like the show when he was gone. Its all to real for me. However, according to my husband he says that the show is the marines acting like the army. And that everything you see on the show isnt really all that happens. But most has. I found the first time that i watched it with my husband I was asking him about the phones and the booths and the tents and he said that that was all what they looked like. which made me think about all the things that he told me while he was out there. its pretty scary.
    megan

meganward04

[40]Nov 19, 2005
    • level: 9
    SSGRivera wrote:

well, i dont know if your really in the army but being a military wife myself i do know that things happen and the Army tries to cover it up. according to my husband whos an MP in the army at Ft. Lewis he said that it sounds like the marines that are trying to act like the army. Woman do cheat on there husbands not all but some. some staff sergeants are disrespectful to there leaders and to there soldiers. thats clear. The army doesnt give clear answers to the wifes or loved ones about whats going on. No soldiers arent smoking weed but I do know of some males and females having sex. And just last christmas my husbands friend was busted drinking in iraq. so it can and does happen.
    megan