Over There Forums

FX (ended 2005)

Cancelled!!!!!!

the_kg

[61]Apr 18, 2006
    • level: 4
    give the show a second chance..I hope steven boshco is working on it now...

it has not come to the Philippines yet but I think it will gain a huge acceptance here since a lot of people have come to love war stories, one factor is because of airsoft and milsim games...
    Edited on 04/17/2006 11:25pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ukmarc31

[62]Apr 18, 2006
    • level: 1
    I have loved this series , many of my friends have found this a programme with truth and about time to. Please we Need a new series

homsuplo75

[63]Apr 18, 2006
    • level: 3
    I was looking forward to this show returning. I must admit though had it not been for The Shield I would have never known about Over There. Even now I'm watching Thief because of The Shield.

swtt

[64]Apr 26, 2006
    • level: 18
    I'll tell you one thing you can do which you prbably know send letters and but the DVDs thats what I'm donig with another show.

Zersch

[65]May 10, 2006
    • level: 2
    Damn...I came to see what was happening with this show, and I find out it is canceled. This depresses me.

hova81

[66]May 10, 2006
    I am in the military and thought that \"Over There\" was the best show ever, better than CSI, Law & Order or any other mediocre show out there, please bring back the show. I know a lot of military servicemen and women would like that. It\'s a show that not only entertains but also pays tribute to the men and women out there in the military service. Please bring it back!!!!!

dj_jojje

[67]May 22, 2006
    • level: 7
    Basically... This s*cks!!

mortal_wombat

[68]Jun 1, 2006
    FROM THE UK - NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what are you doing cancelling, we have just recently got Over There over here and boy it kicks ass. I dont know what half the shows are you guys say should be cancelled instead but they sound crap so cancel that crap instead you stupid network fools. This decision is gonna make baby jesus cry, i just know it, shame on you ! BRING IT BACK

mortal_wombat

[69]Jun 1, 2006
    PS. You crazy americans did the same to FIREFLY, tut tut tut. We have to put up with endless series of Dr.Who cos you all like it (apparently) so end this madness....

steinhartt

[70]Jun 1, 2006
    • level: 3

Beautifully but there: IT'S ENTERTAINMENT. And I couldn't agree more. But what I (being a non-American viewer) just don't get is this: OVER THERE may not be realistic in a senses as the army-employee put it, but the general US public has no idea that this is a fact. WHY then, as the show is superb overall, compared, doesn't raise more than the "tiny" 2 million viewers every week. I mean, one gets the impression that the US is a nation that is a strong believer in the art of war, and the paths it can open. US troops don't roam the world for nothing, right? And the support for "the courageous men and women engaged in battle to protect America" has been major ever since the troops were deployed. So, how come people aren't curious on how life is "over there"?
    My advice to the FX Networks executive in charge of the show: sell it to HBO. They will dare where you don't.

Dippi17

[71]Jun 4, 2006

Just a Great great Error, I reapet I wrote also it on anew topic... what are you doing? We can open a site against this cancel and with Bochco and company maybe he will be tempeted to keep on doing it also out of the united states in europe, but for everybody it was a great series, it's really poor this choice...

FROM ITALY A NO for closing this TV SERIES, KEEP IT OPEN AND GOO ON! LEt manifestate our dissense, write to bochco do something...this is a sham, this series was a grea great idea, a great great way of depicting war...thx bochco you made dreaming a lot of people you also united many of them tell you this is a great work, letting them see somehow in a non-superficial way what is the difference, throught the scenegature the speeches you organized between the soldiers, We will be always in debt with you, we must tell him to produce it with someother company maybe of an other country this woul be really remunerative for him, everybody whants to see something else not always the same war shooting kill ans so on but also internal passions, internal scars, the everyday life of the people are over here (the american's and not only them also philippines, italians, japanes, english....)

Please I love this Works this is art ...the art of representing reality...you have this art, use it. please come back for us, you will be surely repayed in the future...this series just woul have a great succes if just it would be continued ( Look at the perfectly different, but "series" Band of brothers....it had an immense succes!!! Come on! Here is an Italian thought).

Ciao ...Steve eheheh...

Ciao everybody

Marco

hahahazian

[72]Jun 10, 2006

mjf85maf wrote:
    I don't know what Army your in but Ive seen women act like that in the service, hell Ive had soldiers who'd joined simply to find a husband. Not all the husbands/wives that come back from tour come back to a happy homes. Yes not all SSG are disrespectful but I'm sure you seen one or two that were. Ive seen a 1st Sergeant throw a trash can simply because it hadn't been changed, was that respectful behavior? Finally no soldiers light up bluts? Then why do we give monthly piss tests? For fun, don't think so. (He smoked it BEFORE they left)I think it was closer to the truth than you want to admit. It was a very good show just at the wrong time. Most people would like to forget that we are 'over there'.[/QUOTE] First, let me say what a disappointment it was to see that this show's been cancelled. I don't believe I've ever posted here, but I've followed most of the discussions, and I've got to agree here. SSG Rivera has posted numerous times regarding his disapproval with the portrayal of some of the characters on the show, but it's not only important to remember that it's entertainment, but that the characters themselves are "microcosms" if you will. I myself served (Air Force -- combat communications) more than a few years ago, and watching the show brought back more than a few memories and recollections of people I served with, both male and female. I myself had a liason in a laundry tent as well a a switch truck and a radar van, among other places. It's not unusual ... you have young people far from home (hell, AT home) and those things will happen. I've smoked pot and hash while on TDY, swapped Marlboros for drugs with soldiers of other countries we worked with...these things happen. I've met and even been close with spouses like Vanessa. I don't advocate a lot of what I did; I was young and really didn't give a damn about a lot of things, but I did have pride in the accomplishment of the job I was trained for and never failed to give that 100%. Really, my point is that you shouldn't be so hard on the show. It's closer to the truth than you want to admit... --by the way, is the spell check on this board the worst you've ever see, or is it just me?[/QUOTE]

Hey man,

Just a quick question I was just wondering how long you were in Combat Comm. because it may be an option after this recent PCS.

marcelina1026

[73]Jun 19, 2006

i loved that show!! i remember that last show, october 26...thats my birthday! i didn't want to go out and i had just got back from the hospital from having my son a few days earlier. the last show i was sitting on my couch holding my ten day old son with my boyfriend. we love this show! since then we have been waiting for it to return, i just found out tonight that it was cancelled.what the hell!!!

for those who didn't like the show- why do you have to bad mouth it so bad? so what if you don't think it was real enough? i'm not sitting here bad mouthing the shows you like (jerry springer). get off your damn high horse and take the stick out of your bum.it was a damn good show! i'm not sure whose millitary you were in but i know for a fact that poeple in our army smoke weed like crazy.

it was a GREAT show and i really hope that some how it comes back for a second season but untill then i have my "over there" dvd.

nikocharlie

[74]Jun 23, 2006
    FROM France. Please dot not cancel this show !!! We love it !!!
    Over there season one, just stop last evening in France, and we are waiting for continuation... please dont stop !!!

Slimcorn82

[75]Jun 26, 2006

Look at all the people that liked this show! Why would they do this to us? Cause the ratings dropped slightly...

BRING IT BACK NOW!!!!

Dippi17

[76]Jul 4, 2006

It's really a shame, the government obviously decided to bloc the sequel of the shaw and also surely boicoted the showing during the first part... I was the first time, I repeat that a show about war, surely a bit romanced but this is obviuous, went on tvs during the same war he it is narrating.

I want to shout a thing to all the people say that the things Bochco & company wrote on the 13 episodes and represented in the frames of the first series: That' romanced, just a bit a repeat, bu it's for the most part true! stop to say Amry and variuos corps, yes!, may just special corps and other particoular groups are perfect, and problems come out only 1 time every 100 years, but in Army and Marines it is surely as or the same the TV series showed us, so similar that some Army Actives said on this forum and on others forum areas that it seems Bochco was there and "got really the point".

What can you say about the girl raped by Maludija eye wtitnesses of the raping of this girl and of ther murdering, and do not try to say this is all invented cause it is true! so what can u say? and two poor army men as the girl and many iraqis families treated like this (fortunately it seems to be an exception, a particular case, but i can't sear on that) executed brutally of the same gruop is controlling the check point where in the nearby the marine man that is risking the life on the process is now in Iraq on his head.

Do you think people must be kept in their dark situation let them see how some different and intelligente atist depicts the world and in particular the "over there" situation, then they will be free to see and decide if they are with you with the idea bochco gave or if they think different from both.

Isn't, and today is the indipendence day (a symbol also of freedom further then the indipendence from England) so let the people be free to decide. America is a great rich country but has a lot of great and IMPORTANT un-just situations, and problems and contraddictions

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to tell you.

koppee1

[77]Jul 20, 2006
    ack. I just watched the first 5 episodes of this show and it's awesome. But then i find out it's cancelled. ugh.

mjf85maf

[78]Jul 20, 2006
    • level: 6
    hahahazian wrote:

[Hey man,

Just a quick question I was just wondering how long you were in Combat Comm. because it may be an option after this recent PCS.

Sorry for the late response, but I figured the board was dead after the cancellation....

I was in the USAF 2nd MOB for about 3 1/2 years in the late 70's-early 80's.  I was an outside plant telephone installer.  I went through a lot of training, only to get stationed in a unit that didn't really utilize a lot of what I trained for.  Worked basically with the old hand-cranked field phones and dial-type telephones ... and running lots of field wire and 48-pair cable.  Travelled a lot, partied a lot and had a great time, though.

Edited on 07/20/2006 11:40am

sfviewer

[79]Aug 4, 2006
    • level: 27
    too bad it was cancelled, i think it was timing, there's still a war going on in iraq, i guess people weren't so interested on a show about the war in iraq because they see it all the time on cnn.

gardau

[80]Aug 12, 2006

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2005/07/the_new_tv_seas_20.html wrote:
    The series, set on the frontlines of the Iraq war, attracted a very respectable 4.1 million viewers for its opening episode.If you count in the 1.7 million viewers who watched a repeat of the episode, the opener drew an audience of 5.8 million.

Online petition normal never work as you can not get enough signatures for a company to take notice.However I did sign it.Money talks louder and if the 1.7 million people that saw the repeat went out and brought the DVD set that might just get there attention.I am from Australia and the show has never been aired here that I know of .I found out about the show through the online game battlefield team I am part of.After seeing the first show I went out and brought the show.The store I went to said he has had many people ask about the show and has had to order in more DVD sets.