Over There

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jul 27, 2005 on FX

• Good drama tackling a hard subject.

The pilot episode works very well to introduce to us all the characters in the show. The backgrounds of each person is unique but it’s their uniqueness that makes it an interesting show. One of the uniqueness is Angel. This grunt is a singer songwriter, what the writers has his character do is he ends up writing a song about them and it is used in the credits. The use of women in the military is somewhat accurate in where they are in danger even though they are used in support positions. The action is decent and is on par with what actually happens. Great start to a series.
  • Worth watching from begining to end

I normally don't like a show until the second season or so. I am set in my t.v. routine. When the previews for this show aired, I gave up a show I was watching to see what this was about. I have never regreted it since. I love this show and think every episode is something to talk about for days. I personally have not found one thing wrong with any of the episodes. I love the closeness you feel with the characters. It makes you feel like they are your friends over there fighting and you cry and laugh with them. I love the show and hope it goes on for a few more episodes.
  • Good action but very average otherwise.

I started watching this expecting a pretty gungho kind of drama and I guess I wasn't disappointed in that respect...it was very American. It was good and the action sequences were very well done but haven't we seen all this stuff before ? The tough Sergeant, the sensitive one...etc etc...I'll stick with it though to see how the characters develop and to try and count how many bullets get used in each show. Why do the Americans need to fire 100 rounds when only one is really needed :-)
  • This episode introduces the members of a fire team, their families and the Sergeant involuntarily extended to lead them. It deals with their initial reactions to Iraq and war zone they have to serve in.

Filming a (relatively) mainstream series about a war currently being fought is ambitious and potentially disastrous. I tuned into the pilot episode wondering what direction Steven Bocho was going to take. When the ending music started, I can honestly say I was pleased, relieved, and more than a little startled with the final result.

The writing and character development was top notch and promises to be the strong point of the series. From the beginning, I was interested in each member of the fire team and wanted to know more about who they were and what motivated them. Even more impressive was the fact that I also wanted to see how the families were going to fare through this ordeal. Even now, I have to keep reminding myself that this is a pilot episode and that the actors are still getting used to their characters.

The episode doesn’t forget that the series is about the military and a war. It includes firefights that are chaotic and downright scary. The actors were properly attired and showing military discipline you’d expect from an active duty, deployed unit. Finally, the story doesn’t romanticize combat or take it lightly. It is a real part of the story leading to a startling and horrifying final scene. Bocho may have promised not to delve into the politics of the War in Iraq, but he certainly doesn’t have a problem making some striking statements about the dangers this (or any) war.

In closing, I highly recommend this series for anyone that wants a serious, sobering look at the life of the soldiers and families involved in the Iraq War.
  • "Going downhill fast"

2.6
    I am a vet from OIF1 and I have watched the all the shows I thought the first two were right on but this third show. I wish that the show didnt go this way and they need to do more researh for better shows. They messed up on a lot of things from the rank to the costumes of the soliders to the prissoner. The show must remember that the world is watching and the public thinks that everything is real. So in that light, this show should show the real way prissoners are treated and not how a few are treated. This show has the chance to sway the way people think about this war. I am very Hopefull this show will be better and do more reshearch
  • Strong writing with good story directions!

I was impressed with the writing of the story. Of course coming from the company of Bochco, you rarely will have a failure.

The characters were strong and the writing seems to make the interplay between them thread enough to make a strong story.

What amazed me the most was the kid, "texas", getting injured and removed from the unti so fast. The character that seemed to be directed towards the leading the group has been removed for a side story. Which dont get me wrong seems to be shaping up as a strong story with-in itself.

Keep the good work coming. I pray from all the soldiers doing their duty out there!
  • I spent a year "over there" and this show is the biggest load of crap I've ever seen in my life. Comparing this garbage to "Band of Brothers" is like comparing a Chevy Vega to a Hemi Barracuda.

Biggest load of Garbage I've ever seen. Please don't tell me people actually believe that this how troops are acting over there. Whoever is the technical adviser on this show needs to go back to Wal Mart before they give their job to someone else. I spent a year in that country and not once did my soldiers ever get on a vehicle to take a joyride to another base to link up with their "homeboys" so they could score some alcohol. If and when we did leave our compounds it was to conduct raids or presence patrols. I'm not sure what kind of Army their trying to portray where privates make decisions like that.
  • in three words best show ever

well well well. this is the best war based tv mini series iv seen ever (besides band of brothers) based in the 21st centry.Ans if there all this good well then it will be btter then band of brotheres wich i must say is also a ver good war based mini series
  • This is the real deal.

Amazing.... This show represents the true nature of war better than anything else i have seen. Amazing.... This show represents the true nature of war better than anything else i have seen. Amazing.... This show represents the true nature of war better than anything else i have seen.
  • Great start to the series. Realistic, but some problems...

In response to laptopjj\'s question about the show. The filming all takes place outside LA, according to this link... http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.html&ref_id=16443&tid=8245&ref_type=101

As far as the first episode, it was good, but like I said in my summary, there are some problems. First and formost is the goggles they wear. The units stationed in Iraq now where what is commonly refered to as \"SG-1 glasses\", named after the glasses that hug the face, preventing sand from getting in. I was glad to see that they used the correct weaponry. Most shows woulda used an AR-15 or an M-16-A2, but they actually used the M-4 Carbine. The only other major problem was the truck pulled OFF the road to stop. Its a war zone. No 88M (Truck Driver) would EVER pull off the road to stop, especially when they know the enemy (insurgents) are using land mines.

• Someone help me out here. Bocho said this was a real story made in Iraq. Anyone know anything?

Some of the photos, including video seemed unlikely -- I find it hard to believe this was made in a war zone in real time. If anyone knows of a link I can see to verify these claims, please post it here.

I didn\'t see too many statements in the pilot, and I\'m not sure I\'m going to be a fan. I\'ll be listening to see which way Bocho takes this ... including whether this was real or not.