Over There

Roadblock Duty

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Aug 03, 2005 on FX

• Decent episode following the pilot.

One thing that people will notice in this episode that differs from the pilot is the inclusion of the families the squad left behind and how they deal with the departure of their loved ones. Even though it is necessary, it slows down the show from the action standpoint. Speaking of the squad I like how their replacement is Arab and how he deals with being an Arab. I like the fact that the script was written, showing that if one mistake is made, one can cost them their lives or the people around him. I like that while Dim looks harmless he was able to win the little scuffle with Smoke.
  • It was the episode that got me hooked. These people that are whining about how it isn\\\'t real need to get over it. This is a TV show, not real life. To the person who wrote that they are pissed off about this show, GET OVER IT,MORON!!!!!

This episode was great. I loved every minute of it. The scene where they unloaded on the 2 cars on 2 different nights was awesome. Real or not, this show deserves to be a regular series on television. The FX network is apparently run by a bunch of idiots who don\\\'t know the meaning of a great show. Well Fx, Over there is one of these shows that grab your attention, and leave you wanting more every episode. Every episode was well done. Of Most of the tv shows that we love and faithfully watch week after week, They too started out slow. GIVE IT A CHANCE FX!!!!!!!!!!
  • An excellent take on some normally boring guard duty.

I really liked this episode. Obviously, this was not going to be about what guard duty is usually all about - painfully boring waiting and watching. The setting gave us a chance to learn more about the series regulars and gave us an idea that even in the midst of war in Iraq, we can expect interesting plot twists.

I've done guard duty, though never in a war zone. It is painfully boring. It could have been the same for our heroes, except they had the added benefit of being an exit from a town under siege.

The episode also showed us the ambiguity of such duty - a car approaches you in the middle of the night with its lights off, and won't stop - what do you do? With explicit rules of engagement, you shoot to kill. That's what they did this time, killing two college-aged men in the process. The soldiers were not convinced they did the right thing until they opened the trunk and the car exploded. This was a turning point moment for some of the characters, I think. Bo's injuries just showed them that the country was dangerous - this showed them that the people could be, too.

Little did they know that they were pawns in a game when a second car approached after the first and was quickly shooed through the checkpoint. Later, the same thing happened - an unlit car barrels toward the check point and is shot to hell by the guards. Dim has a painful moment when he sees a young girl in the car and defies advice to leave her lest the car explode - and when he does, it turns out she is already dead. Dim will continue to show a reckless side in future episodes.

After the third car is destroyed, one more, carrying an older man and his wife, approach the checkpoint. They seem to check out, though Sgt. Scream is suddenly worried when he discovers the second car got through with a summary search. Finally, a cell phone rings from the trunk, and it all comes together: the two pairs of cars had been sent to test the checkpoint. When they did not search the trunk of the second car, the Iraqis felt it safe to try to smuggle someone out of the town in the fourth. Technology gave him away.

This episode is a lead-in to the next, when the stowaway is interrogated by an expert. But with out the tie-in, the two could stand alone.

I wasn't as interested in the Bo storyline or the home front storylines this time, but they were essential to break up the considerable tension of the roadblock and to move those stories along. It was good to meet Tariq, and to see yet another reminder that America is made up of all kinds of people, even those who look and sound like our enemy. It also sets up an important story point that will be crucial later - Tariq speaks the language.
  • Show lacks realism in general. Interesting tough, and fortunately not too silly.

First things first: I liked "Tour of Duty". Although it lacks realism here and there, it has been a great show. I watched it first when I was about 12. And you know boys at that age dream of great adventures. Well, I didn't really feel like going into any kind of battle after watching some TOD. I hope this show will have the same effect on kids these days...

This series had a good start. And this episode was even more thrilling than the last. I feel like I am part of the action. And this is not necessarily a good feeling, but I am slowly getting addicted to it. Basically what I want to say is: There is lots of stupid stuff in it that won't make up. But it doesn't matter because in my opinion the purpose of the show is trying to make the audience feel the action, the stress, the fear and everything the soldiers in the field feel. No offence soldiers: of course it fails. But realism is not the point...

This episode is very much about crossing the border. Will you take the risk or not? Will you shoot at innocent people before taking the risk of being shot yourself?

This show is anti-war. If it wasn't, it would look and feel like JAG. But it doesn't. We see both sides dying. Iraqis are constantly losing their lives, alliance soldiers from time to time, but clearly too often. There are no heroes in this show like there aren't any in war. If you want to see heroes - I said it - go, watch JAG.

• The series looks as though it cost HUNDREDS to film!

7.6
    I watched this and WANTED to like it, but just couldn't bring myself to like it's flow. The story line was believable enough, but the scenery of the set looks VERY CHEAP. A few sand bags and a few Humvee's just doesn't bring the realism this series deserves.

The acting also leaves a bit to be desired. And will we follow the same characters throughout the series? I only wonder because of some the characters from the first show were not in the second. Did they just disappear in the desert?

Overall it's a good show, but looks hastily put together and not well though out.
  • The main theme of this show is a fascinating look at what can happen at a roadblock on the outskirts of town.

I\'m really torn on this show. On one hand the subject matter, the acting, the directing are all top notch.

In this episode we are introduced to the drama of a roadblock. There are some interesting plot twists and some real moments of gripping drama.

But as with episode 1, I\'m left with one burning question:

Why on earth didn\'t the producers get better military consultants for the technical details? Wasn\'t Captain Dale Dye available?

For God\'s sake anyone who knows anything about military procedure is pulling their hair out by the roots watching the roadblock. I won\'t repeat what a previous reviewer noted who is far more knowledgeable than myself.

But I would like to add a couple of observations. Why would you stop a car and then come out from BEHIND the sand bags and kneel in front of them while covering the car?

The sand bags are there to protect the soldiers so why expose your entire body to harm when there is absolutely no need.

And I can\'t believe for the life of me that there wouldn\'t be AT LEAST one soldier in a flanking position in case a shootout occured. Instead, they are all neatly grouped together in front of the car making easy targets for an exposive device or nearby sniper.

Now people reading this may be asking why someone cares about these seemingly trivial details. The reason I care is because when someone puts their life on the line for their country, they have a right to have their story told accurately. The soldiers and their commanders are often made to look unprofessional and stupid. This is insulting to all of those who served.

This story could have been told just as easily with the details right. Its just a question of laziness in my opinion.

So I give it a 10 on dramatic content and a 2 for realism (they did get the uniforms right at least) for a net 6.

Lets hope the producers of this show listen to the complaints of those who have served and make a better effort to get this right going forward. This is a story that needs to be told. But it needs to be told right.
  • The pilot didn't quite get me. I wanted to see how this show was going to be. It didn't grab me at first, until I got to see this episode, and this episode is exactly why I want to watch this show.

This episode shows us what this thing in Iraq is all about, no apologies needed. When Bo was having his dream about being tortured, he was asked by his captor why he would serve a government of liars and thieves, he said he did because "(he's) a soldier." Despite of how anyone would feel about this war in Iraq, it's the soldiers over there that are the heroes. Despite the fact that this show is a work of fiction, I wholeheartedly believe that this show dramatizes what tip of the iceberg we see from our couches. This show and this episode reminds me of an old show from the 80's called Tour of Duty, that being set in Vietnam. The difference is, when the Tour of Duty was on, it was in restrospect of the Vietnam War. This show, Over There, is an "inside look" of something going on right now. Kudos!
  • I implore the American people don’t be taken in by this Hollywood tripe. This is nothing like what is going on “Over There” and it is making Soldiers like myself extremley pissed off.

0.5
    Where should I start on this cinematic piece of sewage? I guess I can say it us better than the pilot episode, however, that is like saying being in the Icu is better than in the medical examiners officer. There was nowhere to go but up.

Their Tcp (traffic control point) was set up all wrong. The chicanes (barriers that make you weave) should have been much further out and require them to make a series of slow speed turns. That is how we do it “Over There” and why, because if you don’t you are force to shoot people who don’t understand what you are doing. Also, "where is their lighting!!!"? Every Tcp that has existed since 2 months after the main fighting is light up like Times Square. They had almost zero lighting and what they had was being used to light their position. Shining the light directly on your position might be helpful to insurgents trying to take pop shoots or snipe shoots at you, but is does nothing for force protection. The lights should be shining in the years of those coming at you at the TCP. That ensures that they are no surprised by the TCP, tells you how many people are in the vehicle, lets you profile the people, and lets you see if they are acting suspicious.

They would never have left that vehicle sitting there or a couple of reasons. First there might be vital Intel in the vehicle. You have to take a closer look. If you take a closer look and things don’t look right then back away, but you would close down the TCP if they were that close to your position. Next they were assuming that a cell phone time would be used as a remote detonation device. The problem is that is not how they rig suicide VBIED’s, that is one way they rig stationary VBIED and regularly IED’s. Suicide attacks use a dead mans switch. Meaning the drivers of individual has a closed switch that is already set. If the person dies the switch is open and it automatically goes off. That way they can ram a TCP and if the driver gets killed he might still accomplish his mission. Lastly, we are trying VERY hard to respect the muslin culture. The Muslims believe that they MUST be buried within days of their dieing. If you leave those bodies in the vehicle and others pass through, you have just lost multiple villages in the area. Insurgents don’t respect their dead because they think those they kill have turned away from God. We must because we are outsiders and the general people would turn on us.

The inclusion of the Arab Soldier was about the only thing they did right. It was a bit unusual the first time a Muslim was included in my unit, but the leadership never questioned his being there. In this show you had the educated private being the only one that immediately accepted him and the black guys being out and out racists. I won’t say that doesn’t happen because racism is everywhere but it is the exception, nit the rule. A Arab Soldier does add a lot to the unit, particularly in the understanding of the language and culture.

Unfortunately spouses do sleep around while we are gone, but unfortunately it happens in Iraq as well. I know of at least four marriages that ended because of infidelity of one of the spouses, wither in Iraq or on the home front.

I won’t cover the comical knife fight at the start.

I won’t go into the kid in the hospital other than to say the MP’s would not go get the father and the Chaplin would not act like he did.

Lastly, the notification of an injured Soldier. There is NO WAY in the current environment that it would take four days to notify a wife about an injury. The first thing that would happen is the unit will call the rear detachment to inform them of the injury and then a group, similar to but not a notification team, would be tell the spouse. There is no way they would be informed over the phone and then left hanging with a comment like, “I’m not a babysitter service” by a Captain. If the Soldier is local then a member of the unit FRG (family readiness group) would watch the kids while they went to see their Soldier. If it was a distance, Walter Reed or Germany, they would take there kids with them and keep them in day care at the fisher house while they went to see their Soldier.

I know they are trying to honor us Soldiers, but they aren’t doing a very good job. They make leaders like myself seem incompetent and heartless to the life of our Soldiers. Anyone that knows good leaders knows that isn’t accurate
  • Closer than I care to get!

The episode gave me a better understanding of the dilemma our military is facing in Iraq. I read a previous post from someone that was "over there" that said it was a load of "cr__" It may be "cr__" for them, however, most Americans will not (hopefully) experience actual war. I could put myself in the place of the soldiers at the "Roadblock" and could only imagine their fear, doubt, uncertainty...guilt. War is the most brutal of all brutalities - it brings out the worst in mankind. A "Fog of War" may be a our only defense and/or mental self preservation.
  • The successive outcome of this episode is due solely to the well written script and the teriffic acting of the cast.

I loved this episode. The writers and the actors did an excellent job with this work. It seemed so realistic but enjoyable at the same time. I like how the episode displayed a mix of a number of different elements of entertainment. There were action packed parts where I was on the edge of my seat. There were parts that I found humorous and there were also parts that had me a bit on the emotional side. The show is very creative and this episode highlights that point. I loved the Arab-American soldier's role; great acting.