Oz Forums

HBO (ended 2003)

Question about equipment

vcm22

[1]Nov 9, 2006
    • level: 7
    Why did the CO's never carry stun guns or beanbag shotguns or other "less than lethal" weapons? It seems like with the criminal to guard ratio in Oz, they could easily have been overpowered by a few inmates, and sure the SORT team would arrive moments later, but by then the CO could've been stabbed or beaten to death. Why was it so taboo that Clayton Hughes used a stun gun? To me, it seems like a baton is too small an advantage to give to COs when altercations ensue, especially the female officers.

Also, why did the staff never wear the shank-proof vests that Devlin implemented in season 2? I'm not sure if the COs did, but I assume the equipment was passed and added. Leo and McManus were both stabbed later, and not at enormous surprise, either. It seems like they'd be constant targets, so why not wear some protection under their suits?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vioray

[2]Dec 24, 2013
    • level: 3

vcm22 wrote:
    Why did the CO's never carry stun guns or beanbag shotguns or other "less than lethal" weapons? It seems like with the criminal to guard ratio in Oz, they could easily have been overpowered by a few inmates

this is exactly why they don't carry such weapons. prisoners would be able to overpower the guards and steal the weapons. a prisoner stealing a guards baton can do a bit of damage but can still be taken down relatively easily by a group of guards or the SORT team. stealing a ranged weapon makes them far more dangerous and difficult even if it's a non-lethal weapon

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.