Oz

HBO (ended 2003)

Ho_Man

Oz Fan Reviews (67)

• That show makes me so scared of prison

I would be so frightened if I were to go to prison after seeing this the prison itself and the people in it makes the inmates go even more with beechers son.....
  • the best show i have ever seen

oz is number one in my list i looove that show

if you did not watch this show you do not even know what "tv seres " means
  • I dont want to go to prison

With epic violence, brutal murders and storys that keep you wanting more. Oz would put the fear of God in anyone when thinking of prison.
  • More than a decade later - still outstanding

Gritty, dirty, unique, well acted, superbly written - one of the greatest TV shows ever. The atmosphere is dark, realistic but also weirdly surreal. It grabs you and hold in its world of violence, survival and deep human insticts and emotions. OZ is simply amazing.
  • One of the best and most entertaining, ever!

There's still nothing like it. A true original.
  • great tv

oz is an excellent show! from episode one it's in your face, raw and ugly, very unpc and with plenty of dark dry humour!! it has some great characters and concentrates on the inmates and staff, each episode devotes say 15 minuites to a current storyline and has a great narration by augustus hill on a topic like death, television and society! what's great about oz is that despite all the murders and mayhem there's plenty of morals too!! what the show does best is mix terrible violence, racism and villainy with plenty of dark humour! i also recommend the governer, the wire, underbelly and the shield!
  • excellent show

gives you a idea of what life is like in prison couldnt stop watching
  • Best tv series

This is the best tv series ever. I can believe how it could have so much real prison life facts and also be so theatrical, I know many peolpe from jail personally and I cannot believe how much these tv series can reflect so clearly and perfectly. I love it because it is not fuc*ing commercial shit, fiction like prison brake. I like this reality witch is provoking and showing that we are all the same. We all want to love, we all full of rage and jealousy, competition, that we are all humans and equal, what is more it shows that everyone could change his inside world and become a better man and we all deserve for a chance.
  • an incredible show

it I finally bought the series "Oz" on dvd. I'd heard about about it for many years, but I figgured that was just hype! I was wrong. The show was amazing, especially in the way the show was unafraid to show what went on in that prison. The charactrer I was especially drawn to was Tobias Beecher. He was the average joe stuck in the middle of all this craziness. Season one was good in how they protrayed him, but after season two I couldn't take my eyes off of him. He seems to have gone crazy just to survive, but then enters Chris Keller. Not only did he bring Toias back to some from of normalicy, he took him to the edge of distruction. After that, I just wanted to see what would happen next to them. As a gay man, I musrt say that this was one of the most honest and unflinching portrayal of a gay couple I have seen on tv. The way the writers of the series went about showing them together and the lengths they went to be together was amazing. I wasn't even disappointed in that you didn't see them get it on unlike the way they showed the heterosexual sex. It was unneeded. The chemistry between the two actors and they way they constantly showed them watching each other no matter what went on between them showed more that any sex scene could do. And for the ending between them was as satisfying as the rest of the relationship. I mean the way Chris Keller went after Beecher, it was only a matter of time before one of them died, and I could believe that Keller would kill himself in a way to get back at Beecher for his final rebuffing of him. To be honest, I couldn't see Keller wanting to live without Beecher loving him.
  • Excellent show!

This was the prison series I decided to watch and I must say I was extremely pleased. The story, the plot and the characters in "OZ" are awesome and I believe they couldn't have done it better. Of course life in a prison isn't supposed to be sweet but it most certainly is interesting. Also, the whole idea of Emerald City, a modern unit for prisoners, is a very interesting take on how prison life can be improved. My favorite characters and actors were Kareem Said played by Eamonn Walker, Augustus Hill played by Harold Perrineau Jr., Vernon Schillinger played by J.K. Simmons and the best, Ryan O'Reily played by Dean Winters. I strongly recommend this show!
  • Very addicting!

I never caught this show when it first aired on HBO but it doesn't matter when you first watch. The show so entertaining it sucks you in for the entire time and doesn't let you go until the credits roll. The characters are fascinating and the story lines are addicting! I don't know how true to prison life this show is, but I don't think it matters. I like watching and seeing many of the actors from Law and Order SVU and CI, which is really interesting seeing the same actors as criminals and not detectives! I would recommend this show to fans of Law and Order SVU and CI, as well as anyone who likes this type of genre.
  • Oz. It's no place like home.

I first got into Oz a few months ago and was amazed at what saw in the show. I puchased the DVDs and I am currently up to season 2. OZ had to be shown on HBO due to it's extreme content which was and still is obviously too much for network television. The episodes ran uninterrupted by commercials and ran almost a full hour each to fit in a lot in each episode. I appreciate the short length of the seasons so far as it stops the show from getting reptitive. But the fact is that I'm finding the show so good that I can't see any signs of it getting repetitive. It may hapen a bit in season six but hopefuly not to a large extent.

The casting for the show is magnificent. Even the more youthful actors perfectly play their roles especially Kirk Acevedo who plays Miguel Alvarez and J.D. Williams who plays the role of Kenny Wangler. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje flawlessly brings Simon Adebisi to life in a devastating and believable way. Lee Tergesen is so good that Tobias Beecher couldn't be played by anyone else. Kareem Said is well played by Eamonn Walker. The rest of the cast are all just as good.

The storylines are rich and powerful and by the end of season one everyone should get the idea that OZ is not for the faint of heart. Endings to these storylines are almost never happy endings which adds to the gritty realisim of the show. Happy endings happen to some but rarely because after something good happens to a character there is always something sinister around the corner.

No characters are flawless. This fact is most evident in the man who manages Emerald City Tim McManus. Viewers will most probably never mind this fact because the most likeable characters in OZ are murderers. So if you have a taste for hard hitting drama and you are found of prison shows then OZ will easily pull you in from the first episode. Kudos.
  • No words awsome

Oz its a show about prison life and all that the vast selection of characters plus new inmates in almost all episodes make this show the perfect history about prison life
    Augustus its awsome, Schillinger its scary but awsome too, Beecher rocks and Abedesi (To bad it died) was the complement Plus Ryan O'Rilley its so hot the part of the religion its (no question) Said anyway every character its like a number on the equation but the result its one word "A-W-S-O-M-E"
    I take the final episode recap lines "Gone, but never forgotten"
    And its true this show may be gone but we remember it our entire life
    :):)
    10!!!!

• Bring back Oz!!

My husband and I have all 6 seasons of Oz. It is a great show and could easily be brought back after how season 6 ended. We loved every episode from start to end. I loved how Ryan O'Reily's character was so manipulative. I also liked Beecher's character. I think all the characters did a good job on the show and it wouldn't be the same without them. The only part that I thought got a little carried away was when the new guy took over Oz and put Adabese in charge and he had parties in his cell... Other than those few episodes, my husband and I thought it was a GREAT show. BRING BACK OZ!!
  • I can honestly say that this is the Best show I have ever seen

I think there are two main points why the "Oz" is dif then most of the other shows.
    1)Like most HBO shows they show it all the good and the bad(very very bad)
    2)The thing that made the show that intersting is that it never gets boring I mean new chars keep showing up and die or what not , I mean yes there are a few chars that are the main but not in every ep. I mean some ep u would beraly see bicher if u would even if he is one of the main char, they can focus on a char that really only came 2 the show and would prob die sooner then later how can a show like that get boring.
    And yes i think killing said was... unesesery mainly because no1 care about the person who killed him, it wasnt like when said killed Adebisi thou that wasnt as exsting as i tought it will be :/. Any way if u havnt seen this show wait for reruns or download it cus if u wont u missed a very VERY good show, u just need the stomatch for it.
  • Great Show

Well, I have to say, it's a show that truly moved me with every episode I saw. I don't know if it was because of the violent and uncesored scenes, or because of all the things said and done in it. My favorite part of it, it's of course, Augustus monologue. He says things completely true and in a manner that gives you a lot to think about (that was the result in my case). And after his ''speech'' you can see what he meant and about what. You just have to get it. Amnyway, Oz equals a perfect mark of ten, and I can't find another adjective that can describe this show better than, extraordinary! And still I can't find any reason why HBO cancelled it, they made a huge mistake... I would definetely love to see more of OZ. Too bad it ended at only 6 seasons. But some great ones!
  • The first HBO original drama series is one of the most masterfully written television shows of all time. The cast of characters numbers in the dozens over the show's 6 season run. A raw, uncensored look into prison life is finally presented. Enjoy!

Oz is a show that I had been watching since it's original run began a decade ago. Underappreciated is just the tip of the iceberg to describe it (I would say it is near #1 on my top ten list to boot). It is definitely ahead of it's time as the magic trifecta of writing, acting, and production combine to envelop the viewer in a world without the imposed moral restrictions broadcast censors invoke (which is why it can still beat most television dramas to this day in believability/realism). Those of us who have been following the show and collecting the six DVD sets over a lengthy release span of 5 years also appreciate the show's rewatchability value as I could personally view the entire series at any time and at any point (Season 4 is a lovely gem for it's double-length) enjoying a glimpse this world provides into the life of Oswald State Penitentiary. If you can handle it, I suggest you at least rent it because it is a real treat. Tom Fontana should have been deified for the show's unpredictably and constant feeling of not knowing what is going to happen next. The music score is perfectly matched and never gets redundant like most television series soundtracks tend to be. The violence is believable to a point where you can swear you could feel the pain of the shank going in. As stated before... enjoy at your own risk... it tends to be addicting. - Johnny Promoshot 0709.13
  • Love it!

Oz is a completely awesome show! The characters are great, and their stories make you love them, even if you completely hate them! Oz is completely great and I would make everyone watch it if I could! The way the charaters are portrayed is amazing! I love the show more then life itself! No, not really, but I do love it! The writers and directors were qenius'! The show was a definite hit! Oz just completely rocks, and everyone should be made to think so! I sound like the Oz nazi...no, maybe not because that's Shillinger, but I think I'm pretty close!
  • The best show HBO has ever produced...

With most network shows, set in around a prison atmosphere, you never really got the full effect of what it might be like in prison, that is until Oz hit the airwaves. This show changed the landscape for HBO, that gave them confidence to make other dramas, such as The Sopranos, and Six Feet Under. The characters are unlike any other on television, each of them have their own unique flaws, but we rooted for them each time, they were criminals, and it's a testament to the writers of this show that they actually made us care for them, and to actually like them, and even to love some of them. There isn't any starpower on Oz, with the exception of maybe Ernie Hudson, but it was a wise move to cast mostly unknowns in the roles, as we could then suspend our disbelief. The writing of the show was the backbone of it, focusing mainly on five of the prisoners, and the men around them. While the show may have went just a little during the last couple season, it still remains one of my all-time favorite shows, and I think no show will ever surpass the amazing overall quality of this show. Series Score: 10/10.
  • Unique and utterly original. Fantastic writing and acting. So different from the usual banal tv fare, and tragically under-rated.

Unique and utterly original. Fantastic writing and acting. So different from the usual banal tv fare, and tragically under-rated. I've watched it over and over again, and there's always something new, missed beforehand because it's so well written and the acting is first rate. It's such a shame that the show wasn't given more recognition, perhaps because of the sex, violence and language, while other, much blander and less thought provoking television was lauded. Without the groundbreaking Oz, I doubt they would ever have made the decision to risk investing in the more popular The Sopranos. I hope it gets rediscovered and fully appreciated at some point in the future.
  • You won't find Dorothy in this Emerald City.

Before Six Feet Under. Before The Sopranos. Before Deadwood. Before Sex and the City. There was Oz!

This groundbreaking series, which took place inside Oswald State Correctional Facility, paved the way for all those other HBO originals, and yet never got the recognition it deserved.

Well written, directed, and acted, Oz told the story of the inmates from Oz and more importantly from Em City, the experimental unit within the prison. Often violent and vulgar, Oz was not a show for the faint at heart, yet it boasted some of the best actors on television, including Christopher Meloni, Harold Perrineau Jr., Ernie Hudson, J. K. Simmons, and Rita Moreno.

A wonderful series, gone before it's time. Oz still remains one of HBO's best ever.
  • One of the best shows ever. You know it, i know it, EVERYBODY knows it!

I honestly don't know where to start with Oz. There are very few dramas that i can watch, re-watch then watch somemore like i can Oz.

Every character was an absolute git and yet i still rooted for them on some level (maybe that says more about me than Oz but thats for another time)

I remeber watching Oz when it was being broadcast and thinking "this could be the episode where 'inset name here' gets it. No one was safe. Luckily my favourite characters made it through to the end, wel some of them did.

If you haven't seen Oz yet then stop reading this and go buy the DVD's

Oz was also lucky enough to have top quality actors in the roles and i actually watch shows i would never normally watch if they have an ex-Oz cast member in it

• Oz

Oz is brutal, uncompromising, unpredictable, unsettling, and therefor extremely compelling and dangerously addictive. It is without a shred of doubt one of the best Tv-shows ever produced. With the story set in a max-security prison, Oz explores the darker sides of a humanbeings, as well as their good sides. Manipulation, betrayal, racism, rape and murder (sometimes all of those at once) are keywords for the events in Oz.
    Even though the shows main focus of the show is on the inmates, it also shows us the people that run the place and how they can be just as screwed up, but in their own way. Oz achieved alot in its years at HBO, but didn't reach a paticulary big audience nor did it garner any of the bigger awards, even so it was higly praised by ctitics. Its low rating might be due to both, that it had a late-night schedule, and because it definately isn't for everyone.
    The acting, the writing, the direction are all exellent and should be an inspiration to any Tv-producer wanting to know the qualities of good Tv. I am not going to mention to anything about the storyline, cause if you havent seen this gem, I don't wnat to spoil it for you. The show is awailable on DVD and I recomend it to anyone who can handle physical and emotional violence at its worst, which in return makes Oz Tv at its very best.
  • Another masterpiece from HBO

HBO is a factory of success but with quality and Oz is probably one the biggest quality product on television in last years. Produced by Barry Levinson and the great Tom Fontana and with one of the best chorale casts ever. The story is full of realism sometimes too real for some viewers. The script is amazing and gets better with each season. Talented directors like Kathy Bates. And a cast of those actors we continously see in supporting roles in other series, just to mention Law & Order, but actors that in Oz they shine with a special light.
  • Oz rules.

Best TV series I\'ve ever seen. It\'s original and educational to watch. Every episode has a great screenplay pulled off together with good acting.

You could say that Oz is unqique. Think of it as good as Pulp Fiction, but in prison. It has this typical Tarantino-style screenplay. Oz is TV at its finest.
  • One of the best and probably most realistic shows on tv.

Oz is definetly not your typical prison drama. I don't think this much violence and suffering was ever shown on tv so cleverly and realistically before. Unlike horror movies that usually contain a lot of pointless slaughtering this is all real and what really happens in the world today, which is what makes you want to keep watching. The characters were as awesome as the show, you'd just get caught up. The eventful drama would definetly be incomplete without those clever narations from Augustus Hill played by Harold Perrineau. For me the whole show was great, thought I really didn't like the last 10 episodes, but I was sorry to see it end. I would definetly love to see a movie on this. Even the soundtrack to the series was awesome. Also a great show to discover some very intresting underrated, but brilliant actors.
  • Pile on the gay sex, mateys!

Beecher/Keller makes me twitch and... well, it makes me do things too inappropraite to say here. Keller has got to be the greatest character I've seen on a television show, mostly because, yes, he oozes animal sexuality all over my screen. But the storylines too are really good which is amazingly rare these days.
  • One of the Greatest Dramas and Greatest Stories Ever Told. "Oz" is So Full of Realism, It Makes You Never Want to Go to Prison....Ever

"Oz", the epic television drama showcasing the innerworkings of the Oswald Maximum Security Penitentiary, is one of the crown jewels of modern television. It gives us the opportunity to see what happens to the criminals after they are prosecuted, convicted, and carelessly thrown into the prison system. "Oz" is full of violence, hatred, and desperation, but it is also full of redemption, peace, and courage. It is a modern day teacher of sociology, demonstrating to us why some people deserve to be free, and why others should never see the outside world again. This acclaimed effort created by the masterful genius Tom Fontana, is sure to make you never want to step foot inside a prison.
  • when oz first aired i thought what in the world is this. i had never seen a program as graphic or spellbounding as this one, i believe this to be as close to real prison situation as you could get. the casting was perfect i would not change any thing.

Me and my husband have all the oz articles , every dvd, the book by Augustus Hill, the cd. We absolutly love this program. The characters are so real and some are endearing. My biggest question was always how did Adabesi keep that little hat on his head. Beacher turned into the gayest man i have ever seen, but still tried to love women when his heart belonged to Keller. Ryan and Cyril also were our favorites. The hardest part was when they executed Cyril i cried ove this, i do not believe in the death penalty and when they are mentally challenged it is more horrifing.
< 1 2 3