Oz

HBO (ended 2003)

Ho_Man

Oz Fan Reviews (65)

• No words awsome

Oz its a show about prison life and all that the vast selection of characters plus new inmates in almost all episodes make this show the perfect history about prison life
    Augustus its awsome, Schillinger its scary but awsome too, Beecher rocks and Abedesi (To bad it died) was the complement Plus Ryan O'Rilley its so hot the part of the religion its (no question) Said anyway every character its like a number on the equation but the result its one word "A-W-S-O-M-E"
    I take the final episode recap lines "Gone, but never forgotten"
    And its true this show may be gone but we remember it our entire life
    :):)
    10!!!!
  • Bring back Oz!!

My husband and I have all 6 seasons of Oz. It is a great show and could easily be brought back after how season 6 ended. We loved every episode from start to end. I loved how Ryan O'Reily's character was so manipulative. I also liked Beecher's character. I think all the characters did a good job on the show and it wouldn't be the same without them. The only part that I thought got a little carried away was when the new guy took over Oz and put Adabese in charge and he had parties in his cell... Other than those few episodes, my husband and I thought it was a GREAT show. BRING BACK OZ!!
  • I can honestly say that this is the Best show I have ever seen

I think there are two main points why the "Oz" is dif then most of the other shows.
    1)Like most HBO shows they show it all the good and the bad(very very bad)
    2)The thing that made the show that intersting is that it never gets boring I mean new chars keep showing up and die or what not , I mean yes there are a few chars that are the main but not in every ep. I mean some ep u would beraly see bicher if u would even if he is one of the main char, they can focus on a char that really only came 2 the show and would prob die sooner then later how can a show like that get boring.
    And yes i think killing said was... unesesery mainly because no1 care about the person who killed him, it wasnt like when said killed Adebisi thou that wasnt as exsting as i tought it will be :/. Any way if u havnt seen this show wait for reruns or download it cus if u wont u missed a very VERY good show, u just need the stomatch for it.
  • It's not for the faint hearted, but a must for all fans of gripping drama and flawless acting.

I'm a big fan of Christopher Meloni in Law and Order: SVU (the only one I watch) so I decided to check out his other TV show - also cause I come from Aus, I thought it might have something to do with my country...
    Little did I know that it was hard hitting, intense drama. It's no holds barred and it's AMAZING!!!
    I was astounded at Meloni's acting (wizzing in a bucket on cue) and Tergesen as Beecher as well. Watching all the characters evolved as the series continued was sensational. I couldn't help but yearn for Cyril O'Reilly in "A Day In Death..." as he is walking to his execution completely oblivious to it cause of his brother, Ryan. All the characters were extremely well presented and I recommend this for anyone willing to embrace the world of Oz.
  • The best show HBO has ever produced...

With most network shows, set in around a prison atmosphere, you never really got the full effect of what it might be like in prison, that is until Oz hit the airwaves. This show changed the landscape for HBO, that gave them confidence to make other dramas, such as The Sopranos, and Six Feet Under. The characters are unlike any other on television, each of them have their own unique flaws, but we rooted for them each time, they were criminals, and it's a testament to the writers of this show that they actually made us care for them, and to actually like them, and even to love some of them. There isn't any starpower on Oz, with the exception of maybe Ernie Hudson, but it was a wise move to cast mostly unknowns in the roles, as we could then suspend our disbelief. The writing of the show was the backbone of it, focusing mainly on five of the prisoners, and the men around them. While the show may have went just a little during the last couple season, it still remains one of my all-time favorite shows, and I think no show will ever surpass the amazing overall quality of this show. Series Score: 10/10.
  • Raw, brutal, but highly addictive ...

What is it that makes HBO's ultra volitale men in prison drama Oz such compulsively addictive viewing? Perhaps it's the layers of storylines being told over one another, perhaps it's the fact that this is one of the finest ensemble casts ever assembled, or, possibly, because one is so shocked at what is seen on screen that they anxiously, or dreadfully, await to see just who gets shanked next or what else develops. Whatever the case, Oz remains one of the best shows to ever grace HBO, and one of the most underrated.

To put it all in one simple statement ... Oz doesn't let you down. If anything, the message sent is: NEVER go to prison, just watch it on TV.
  • HBO is usually right on point and OZ is no exception.

Don't get me wrong - I love the show but I hated the ending. OZ lost me somewhere between the middle and the ending when they started killing off the interesting characters. Aside from the ending - I really enjoyed the show, it had lots to say about politics and the world we live in. Alot of time and thought went into OZ as each episode had a theme and a message which the cast protrayed, all of whom did a wonderful job bringing life to the production. I enjoyed the overall development of OZ and how they went about conveying their message without beating you over the head with information. Its fiction but its conscious tv.
  • One of the best and most entertaining, ever!

There's still nothing like it. A true original.
  • Oz. It's no place like home.

I first got into Oz a few months ago and was amazed at what saw in the show. I puchased the DVDs and I am currently up to season 2. OZ had to be shown on HBO due to it's extreme content which was and still is obviously too much for network television. The episodes ran uninterrupted by commercials and ran almost a full hour each to fit in a lot in each episode. I appreciate the short length of the seasons so far as it stops the show from getting reptitive. But the fact is that I'm finding the show so good that I can't see any signs of it getting repetitive. It may hapen a bit in season six but hopefuly not to a large extent.

The casting for the show is magnificent. Even the more youthful actors perfectly play their roles especially Kirk Acevedo who plays Miguel Alvarez and J.D. Williams who plays the role of Kenny Wangler. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje flawlessly brings Simon Adebisi to life in a devastating and believable way. Lee Tergesen is so good that Tobias Beecher couldn't be played by anyone else. Kareem Said is well played by Eamonn Walker. The rest of the cast are all just as good.

The storylines are rich and powerful and by the end of season one everyone should get the idea that OZ is not for the faint of heart. Endings to these storylines are almost never happy endings which adds to the gritty realisim of the show. Happy endings happen to some but rarely because after something good happens to a character there is always something sinister around the corner.

No characters are flawless. This fact is most evident in the man who manages Emerald City Tim McManus. Viewers will most probably never mind this fact because the most likeable characters in OZ are murderers. So if you have a taste for hard hitting drama and you are found of prison shows then OZ will easily pull you in from the first episode. Kudos.
  • One of the Greatest Dramas and Greatest Stories Ever Told. "Oz" is So Full of Realism, It Makes You Never Want to Go to Prison....Ever

"Oz", the epic television drama showcasing the innerworkings of the Oswald Maximum Security Penitentiary, is one of the crown jewels of modern television. It gives us the opportunity to see what happens to the criminals after they are prosecuted, convicted, and carelessly thrown into the prison system. "Oz" is full of violence, hatred, and desperation, but it is also full of redemption, peace, and courage. It is a modern day teacher of sociology, demonstrating to us why some people deserve to be free, and why others should never see the outside world again. This acclaimed effort created by the masterful genius Tom Fontana, is sure to make you never want to step foot inside a prison.
  • One of the greatest shows to come from HBO.

Oz takes a violent, drug-filled prison environment and crosses it with interesting and unique plotlines and character development to give us one extremely entertaining and addictive show.

The show, which focuses on an experimental cellblock called Emerald City, offers an interesting take on prison life, showing an environment of drugs and violence, where the main goal of any inmate is usually to stay alive. Oz provides an entire lineup of interesting and unique individuals and the plotlines, although they can get a little wacky at times, are completely different than anything else on TV, and keep you always wanting to see the next episode. The realism of what goes on inside of Oz is questionable but I don't think it matters too much since the end result is so enjoyable to watch.
  • That's the name on the street for the Oswald Maximum Security Penitentiary.

Now whether Oz is realistic to actual prison life is anyone's guess. Personally, I am guessing that they take alot of creative liberties, but either way there is no doubting this - Tom Fontana made one damn good show. Complete with violence, drug abuse, and yes....even rape, Oz is not an easy show to watch at times. However, if you can stomach it, you will find yourself nodding approvingly and saying at the end of every episode, "This is one damn good show."

I cannot be biased by my love for the show, though. As it goes on, the plotlines become more ludicrous and lazy (Maxim magazine? Lottery tickets? C'mon, now), but that is balanced very well by extraordinary acting, and the later seasons while below the show's former quality, demonstrate MANY powerful moments scattered throughout. Oz is indeed a trendsetting show; as it was the first of its kind and includes many television firsts. It is hard to be original these days, and Oz did it. A true gem in and of itself indeed. It's a shame it didn't get the same recognition as Sopranos, Sex & The City, and Six Feet Under do.
  • excellent show

gives you a idea of what life is like in prison couldnt stop watching
  • Best tv series

This is the best tv series ever. I can believe how it could have so much real prison life facts and also be so theatrical, I know many peolpe from jail personally and I cannot believe how much these tv series can reflect so clearly and perfectly. I love it because it is not fuc*ing commercial shit, fiction like prison brake. I like this reality witch is provoking and showing that we are all the same. We all want to love, we all full of rage and jealousy, competition, that we are all humans and equal, what is more it shows that everyone could change his inside world and become a better man and we all deserve for a chance.
  • an incredible show

it I finally bought the series "Oz" on dvd. I'd heard about about it for many years, but I figgured that was just hype! I was wrong. The show was amazing, especially in the way the show was unafraid to show what went on in that prison. The charactrer I was especially drawn to was Tobias Beecher. He was the average joe stuck in the middle of all this craziness. Season one was good in how they protrayed him, but after season two I couldn't take my eyes off of him. He seems to have gone crazy just to survive, but then enters Chris Keller. Not only did he bring Toias back to some from of normalicy, he took him to the edge of distruction. After that, I just wanted to see what would happen next to them. As a gay man, I musrt say that this was one of the most honest and unflinching portrayal of a gay couple I have seen on tv. The way the writers of the series went about showing them together and the lengths they went to be together was amazing. I wasn't even disappointed in that you didn't see them get it on unlike the way they showed the heterosexual sex. It was unneeded. The chemistry between the two actors and they way they constantly showed them watching each other no matter what went on between them showed more that any sex scene could do. And for the ending between them was as satisfying as the rest of the relationship. I mean the way Chris Keller went after Beecher, it was only a matter of time before one of them died, and I could believe that Keller would kill himself in a way to get back at Beecher for his final rebuffing of him. To be honest, I couldn't see Keller wanting to live without Beecher loving him.
  • Very addicting!

I never caught this show when it first aired on HBO but it doesn't matter when you first watch. The show so entertaining it sucks you in for the entire time and doesn't let you go until the credits roll. The characters are fascinating and the story lines are addicting! I don't know how true to prison life this show is, but I don't think it matters. I like watching and seeing many of the actors from Law and Order SVU and CI, which is really interesting seeing the same actors as criminals and not detectives! I would recommend this show to fans of Law and Order SVU and CI, as well as anyone who likes this type of genre.
  • This is my abosoulte favorite show

This is one of the best shows I have ever seen,It covers so many situations.

Beecher and Keller *drools* are my favorites in the show, I wish Keller didn\'t die and that there was a 7th season.

Ryan and Alverez are great as well. I love Alverez\'s deep voice it sends shivers down my spine
  • More than a decade later - still outstanding

Gritty, dirty, unique, well acted, superbly written - one of the greatest TV shows ever. The atmosphere is dark, realistic but also weirdly surreal. It grabs you and hold in its world of violence, survival and deep human insticts and emotions. OZ is simply amazing.
  • great tv

oz is an excellent show! from episode one it's in your face, raw and ugly, very unpc and with plenty of dark dry humour!! it has some great characters and concentrates on the inmates and staff, each episode devotes say 15 minuites to a current storyline and has a great narration by augustus hill on a topic like death, television and society! what's great about oz is that despite all the murders and mayhem there's plenty of morals too!! what the show does best is mix terrible violence, racism and villainy with plenty of dark humour! i also recommend the governer, the wire, underbelly and the shield!
  • Excellent show!

This was the prison series I decided to watch and I must say I was extremely pleased. The story, the plot and the characters in "OZ" are awesome and I believe they couldn't have done it better. Of course life in a prison isn't supposed to be sweet but it most certainly is interesting. Also, the whole idea of Emerald City, a modern unit for prisoners, is a very interesting take on how prison life can be improved. My favorite characters and actors were Kareem Said played by Eamonn Walker, Augustus Hill played by Harold Perrineau Jr., Vernon Schillinger played by J.K. Simmons and the best, Ryan O'Reily played by Dean Winters. I strongly recommend this show!
  • Great Show

Well, I have to say, it's a show that truly moved me with every episode I saw. I don't know if it was because of the violent and uncesored scenes, or because of all the things said and done in it. My favorite part of it, it's of course, Augustus monologue. He says things completely true and in a manner that gives you a lot to think about (that was the result in my case). And after his ''speech'' you can see what he meant and about what. You just have to get it. Amnyway, Oz equals a perfect mark of ten, and I can't find another adjective that can describe this show better than, extraordinary! And still I can't find any reason why HBO cancelled it, they made a huge mistake... I would definetely love to see more of OZ. Too bad it ended at only 6 seasons. But some great ones!
  • The first HBO original drama series is one of the most masterfully written television shows of all time. The cast of characters numbers in the dozens over the show's 6 season run. A raw, uncensored look into prison life is finally presented. Enjoy!

Oz is a show that I had been watching since it's original run began a decade ago. Underappreciated is just the tip of the iceberg to describe it (I would say it is near #1 on my top ten list to boot). It is definitely ahead of it's time as the magic trifecta of writing, acting, and production combine to envelop the viewer in a world without the imposed moral restrictions broadcast censors invoke (which is why it can still beat most television dramas to this day in believability/realism). Those of us who have been following the show and collecting the six DVD sets over a lengthy release span of 5 years also appreciate the show's rewatchability value as I could personally view the entire series at any time and at any point (Season 4 is a lovely gem for it's double-length) enjoying a glimpse this world provides into the life of Oswald State Penitentiary. If you can handle it, I suggest you at least rent it because it is a real treat. Tom Fontana should have been deified for the show's unpredictably and constant feeling of not knowing what is going to happen next. The music score is perfectly matched and never gets redundant like most television series soundtracks tend to be. The violence is believable to a point where you can swear you could feel the pain of the shank going in. As stated before... enjoy at your own risk... it tends to be addicting. - Johnny Promoshot 0709.13
  • You won't find Dorothy in this Emerald City.

Before Six Feet Under. Before The Sopranos. Before Deadwood. Before Sex and the City. There was Oz!

This groundbreaking series, which took place inside Oswald State Correctional Facility, paved the way for all those other HBO originals, and yet never got the recognition it deserved.

Well written, directed, and acted, Oz told the story of the inmates from Oz and more importantly from Em City, the experimental unit within the prison. Often violent and vulgar, Oz was not a show for the faint at heart, yet it boasted some of the best actors on television, including Christopher Meloni, Harold Perrineau Jr., Ernie Hudson, J. K. Simmons, and Rita Moreno.

A wonderful series, gone before it's time. Oz still remains one of HBO's best ever.
  • One of the best shows ever. You know it, i know it, EVERYBODY knows it!

I honestly don't know where to start with Oz. There are very few dramas that i can watch, re-watch then watch somemore like i can Oz.

Every character was an absolute git and yet i still rooted for them on some level (maybe that says more about me than Oz but thats for another time)

I remeber watching Oz when it was being broadcast and thinking "this could be the episode where 'inset name here' gets it. No one was safe. Luckily my favourite characters made it through to the end, wel some of them did.

If you haven't seen Oz yet then stop reading this and go buy the DVD's

Oz was also lucky enough to have top quality actors in the roles and i actually watch shows i would never normally watch if they have an ex-Oz cast member in it

• AAAAAWESOME! **** 4 STARS

I\'ve just started in on Season 2 of this show...AAAAAWESOME! The writing, the directing, the acting, the cinematography...sooo good.

I\'m amazed how they could keep the story going. I mean how much can you tell about a group of guys in prison. And what amazes me, is that these are hardcore criminals, yet you find yourself sympathizing with them. Insane!

That\'s all I got to say. **** 4 STARS
  • Once you're in, you can get out only in the plastic bag!

One of the best HBO shows ever. The best thing about it doesn't have real main characters, everybody can get killed in the next episode (and most of them do). Another interesting fact,it ended right when it was supposed to end, no redundant episodes just to make series last longer. Clear and concise. I would recommend it to anyone who likes Action/Drama genre. Available on DVDs but only for region 1.
  • Oz's brutally frank depiction of life in a maximum-security prison tested the limits of HBO's abiltity to provide artists with freedom from the fetters of censorship imposed by broadcast networks. The riveting series that resulted set a new standard.

The dark corridors of the Oswald State Pen gave the series' creators a fertile backdrop against which to examine a wealth of issues.

This excellent series poses searching questions about the transience of societal conventions in the face of animalism, the relativism of concepts like good and evil, the never-ending struggles of sex, class and race... the list goes on. All this, plus compelling writing, incredible acting from an ensemble cast (many of them soon to be household names), gifted directing and the numerous grace notes that denote an excellent production team. This series is worth renting a season at a time and locking yourself up in solitary to catch up.
  • I dont want to go to prison

With epic violence, brutal murders and storys that keep you wanting more. Oz would put the fear of God in anyone when thinking of prison.

• Love it!

Oz is a completely awesome show! The characters are great, and their stories make you love them, even if you completely hate them! Oz is completely great and I would make everyone watch it if I could! The way the charaters are portrayed is amazing! I love the show more then life itself! No, not really, but I do love it! The writers and directors were qenius'! The show was a definite hit! Oz just completely rocks, and everyone should be made to think so! I sound like the Oz nazi...no, maybe not because that's Shillinger, but I think I'm pretty close!
< 1 2 3