Oz

HBO (ended 2003)

Ho_Man

Oz Fan Reviews (67)

• The best show HBO has ever produced...

With most network shows, set in around a prison atmosphere, you never really got the full effect of what it might be like in prison, that is until Oz hit the airwaves. This show changed the landscape for HBO, that gave them confidence to make other dramas, such as The Sopranos, and Six Feet Under. The characters are unlike any other on television, each of them have their own unique flaws, but we rooted for them each time, they were criminals, and it's a testament to the writers of this show that they actually made us care for them, and to actually like them, and even to love some of them. There isn't any starpower on Oz, with the exception of maybe Ernie Hudson, but it was a wise move to cast mostly unknowns in the roles, as we could then suspend our disbelief. The writing of the show was the backbone of it, focusing mainly on five of the prisoners, and the men around them. While the show may have went just a little during the last couple season, it still remains one of my all-time favorite shows, and I think no show will ever surpass the amazing overall quality of this show. Series Score: 10/10.