Painkiller Jane

The Beast of Bolnar

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Sep 07, 2007 on Syfy

7.8
  • Complete ripoff & a boring filler episode **note: SPOILERS included**

Ok, I wasn't thrilled with a random filler episode. They've just revealed the source of how the neuros are create. They've come to NICO and uncovered governmental abuses.

And now we're back to an eastern european creature attacking people right out of some folk story?
    It's a wanna be XFiles episode where they figure out what's causing this seemingly unexplainable attacks. However, I was even more annoyed when I realized this episode was nothing more than a ripoff of the 50's cult classic movie "Forbidden Planet". Same idea of an "invisible unconscious creature of the id". Same idea that it emerges when the creator is unconscious. That it attacks those that have angered the creator. That the creator is unaware he is creating the monster. The monster (when seen) even kind of looks like the monster in Forbidden Planet.

What, did they think if they plagarized far back enough no one would catch it? Or if it's a homage to the film, then they should credit it- slip in an allusion to the film so we know that they're admitting it.

I was highly disappointed. The Scottish/Australian (couldn't place the accent) guy abusing the kid who then freaks out murderously w/ a supernatural creature that terrorizes a picteresque village? Not what I tuned in to see!

P.S. Did I mishear - I thought at the beginning of the episode they stated that no non-Americans had been identified as neuros. (which would make sense if the pharm company was only testing on people in the US). Then how does it turn out that this local Hungarian happens to be a neuro and have a son whose a neuro??
  • 2/10

I didn't really like this episode. The whole story just didn't work for me. The Hungarian characters acting felt so fake. I guess they wanted to make it a sad and touching episode but I felt the episode was just lame. And how come the fat Hungarian guy who treats the little boy badly has an american accent? Since they were still at NICO I was hoping to see more of Jacob Baumgardner but he wasn't shown in this episode. I feel that the story about what happened to Jane when she found out the truth about her abilities should have been built up more instead of this filler episode. 2/10 from me.