Pan Am Forums

ABC (ended 2012)

discussion for pilot episode here .

mattgus

[1]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 14

i am very "fussy" for lack of a better word when it comes to new tv. we have had alot of bad dramas/actions...but tonite i think we saw the next big hit. it had a mad men feel mostly because it felt tight and was fun and easy to watch,but had punches in all the right places...i am very pleased with this one...i am going to predict that it will be in the noms next yr at the emmy's...i know it's really toearly,but it has the feel of great! we will see...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MrBovineOrdure

[2]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 6

There are going to be a lot of comparisons between this show and Mad Men. I happen to be a HUGE fan of Mad men. I was born in 1959 and remember a lot of what it was like to live in that era. I appreciate that show because it combined interesting characters acting like people did back then with an extreme eye for details.

Pan Am falls short on all accounts. Back then, there wasn't a "Smoking section" in any plane. The whole plane was the smoking section. Though I saw a couple of cigarettes, I didn't see them in the number I expected. The only character piece that was remotely interesting was the girl who bailed on her wedding. The stewardess-spy thing just doesn't click for me.

I understand that this isn't a "Documentary" but then again, neither is Mad Men. They set the bar. I was really hoping Pan Am would raise it.

You're right. This will probably win a bunch of awards. The shows I like tend to get canceled.

I'll look at the next couple of episodes to give it a chance, but I'll likely unsubscribe from it on Hulu.

Mr BO

evafan2005

[3]Sep 27, 2011
    • level: 18

I'm very picky when it comes to television, the first show I ever got into (besides watching old shows on reruns like Roseanne, Growing Pains, etc.) was Desperate Housewives when it came out in 2004...I feel like I had good judgment in that because it's a quality show that has lasted 8 years (yes, you can argue it's not as good as it once was but I still feel it's a good show regardless of the obvious aging) anyway, ever since I have given a new show that may look interesting a 2 episode chance before committing to it. Other shows that I have put into my watch list have been 90210 (now in season 4) Pretty Little Liars (halfway through it's second season) and this season so far Ringer has been put into the fold. One show that completely bombed for me after 1 viewing was the Secret Circle. In my opinion that show is just awful.

Anyway on to my point. This television season I still have a few shows up in the air on whether I'm going to commit to them, Pan Am being one of them. I admit that the pilot left me feeling rather lukewarm towards it. I had high hopes and maybe that's where I went wrong? the other two shows I am still mulling over held my interest more than this one did. I don't necessarily think it's a BAD show, but I definitely need to give it one more viewing before deciding to keep it in my TV lineup.

hockeyrick

[4]Sep 28, 2011
    • level: 11
    They do 60's way better than anyone, and the filming was a 60's ish style movie type! And love the soundtracK! This is nothing like MM!
    Stay with it, they will develop the characters more and I just enjoyed them taking me back to a bygone era!!!!
    And as for accuracy, just watched a TV interview show with 2 former stewardesses, and they said almost 100% was true, from the lady checking them as they came in for work to them being used as agents! One even disappeared never to be heard from again!
    This show has a lot going for it in s many ways and story lines, where as MM is just set in an office bldg and really doesn't caprure the mood of the time as PA does.

haldrey

[5]Oct 1, 2011
    • level: 22
    Correct, nothing like MM. The pilot was quite interesting with a good storyline and quite accurate in its portrait of the era. Yes, there was a small non smoking section in all planes but the smoke covered all the plane, you were protected from only someone smoking by your side.

haldrey

[6]Oct 23, 2011
    • level: 22
    This show was classified as a keeper elsewhere, and I agree although a bit more espionage thing will be good. Sad it is not generating any forum activity.

29bottles

[7]Oct 30, 2011
    • level: 1
    Umm.. so im a minority(?) I think on this board, but i really really liked the show...regardless of accuracy or not, it just clicked with me really well. Have only seen the first two episodes, and unless something goes drastically wrong, I believe this and OUaT will be my new tv fixes..

nimd4

[8]Nov 23, 2011
    • level: 6

I've been making nothing but negative comments lately. :f So sorry to say that the pilot really sucked and perhaps I really should just give (Internet) television a rest. Anyway, hopefully someone will make a care-free show like Firefly and unlike Star Trek: Enterprise (& definitely SF like Terminator TSCC).

Without badly animated digital helicopters taking off and people making out on a plane, like it's about to blow up (and perky nipples through white uniforms).

PS. Enterprise was ALMOST good, with very little missing. Thankfully, at least, they hadn't done the horrible, over-the-top, insanely-fake digital (often).