Paradox

Episode 1

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 24, 2009 on BBC

• I just watched the first episode and I was completely embarrased to say that my country is producing TV of this quality.

It was predictable, slow and very poorly shot. I'm not sure if the director was specifically aiming for the feel the show gave as I am not clued up on shooting styles but to me it just came across as incredibly low budget and poorly written. The plot for this pilot episode was hopefully a one off but I suspect not because of the last few scenes where the same sort of mystery this episode told revealed itself again at the end telling is this is going to be a continuing theme of the show.
    The episode started with DI Rebecca Flint (Tamzin Outhwaite) being sent to speak to a Dr Christian King, a world-renowned astrophysicist after he requested the police send somebody with a bit of imagination. When DI Flint arrived at Dr Kings company she was shown a set of images that looked like some sort of accident had happened except the accident hadn't happened yet and as revealed on a photo of a broken mobile phone it was going to happen in some seven hours in the future. DI Flint threatened to arrest Dr King for wasting police time when she saw this image however the doctor then stated he might have planted a bomb because he knew the detective wouldn't believe he had evidence of a future event. Because of the doctors threat DI Flint and two other collegues started to investigate the images to find out if they lead to a real event by chasing up evidence in the photos. It was a race against time that ultimatly failed as the accident which involved a gas tanker hitting a bridge while a train was stationed above it actually happened and was not prevented.
    The whole episode was a painful proformance by all and I would be very suprised if they continue with it. Finally, theres just one other point I would like to make, for some unexplained reason they stated within the first 10 minuets of the show that it was set in the year 2033, as far as I could see there was absolutly no reason to do this at all. In fact, this just made the show even more unbelievable because all the technology was exactly like we have now including current blackberry models and even an iphone. Nothing indicated the future at all. When the US are producing shows like Fringe, Battlestar galactica and V it is so embarasing that all we can produce is this pile of junk. Destined for the dump.