Paradox Forums

BBC (ended 2009)

Is it over??

memizz

[1]Jan 3, 2010
    • level: 11
    In the end of the fifth episode they said it was the last episode. Is it like the LAST EPISODE EVER or just for this season? If it's just for this season I find it to be kind of weird since I've never heard of a full season that only contains FIVE episodes, seems kind of short. Or is it just like a winter break? Does any one know if/when it'll be back because I really want to know what's going to happen? The show was FINALLY getting good. I really hope it hasn't been canned already...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Nat_Series

[2]Jan 4, 2010
    • level: 2
    memizz,

Brit series usually have few episodes per season and fifth episode was for sure the last one of S01. But I think (or hope) it will be a S02.

Nat_Series

[3]Jan 5, 2010
    Not "it"; "there"! Sorry for my poor english

bigglewigs

[4]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 4
    I watch a lot of Brit shows and five episodes is a strange number to end the season on. Most of their shows run 2 episodes for specials like the recent Day Of The Triffids, 4 episodes for shows with longer run times like Poirot and 6 episdoes for most of the popular series like Misfits, Hustle, The Fixer, Life On Mars, Ashes To Ashes etc. Five is totally odd!

OzgurKaplan

[5]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 6
    Season 3 of Torchwood also had 5 episodes with one hour runing time.

bigglewigs

[6]Jan 7, 2010
    • level: 4
    Season 3 of Torchwood was not a regular season, it was a 5 part mini-series in the same style as Band Of Brothers, Lonesome Dove, John Adams etc.

Chronal

[7]Jan 27, 2010
    • level: 1

I've just finished the last part, watching it from BBC download. The comment of the announcer as the titles start to roll is "and that was the last in the current series of Paradox".

Current.

Incidentally: anybody think that the voice that is received at the end sound like Rebbecca?

OzgurKaplan

[8]Feb 9, 2010
    SyFy should get Paradox.Definitely BBC won't do much with it.

RickDaugherty

[9]Feb 28, 2010
    • level: 1

I am sorry to say it has officially been canceled. Source - http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2010/02/bbc-axes-sci-fi-police-drama-p.html

Pizlop

[10]Mar 1, 2010
    • level: 5
    aw man, that sucks. i put off watching this show until recently and just finished the first two episodes. sorry to hear that it's canceled.

JigShaun

[12]Mar 2, 2010

Actually, British TV series can run anywhere from 5 episodes to 10 or as many as 12. In fact, Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes actually ran 8 episodes per season. On the other hand the UK Eleventh Hour only ran 4. And while Torchwood Children of Earth was broadcast as a five night "event" mini-series, it is considered to be a "season" of the show. Touching Evil ran 6,6 and 4. The WWII mystery series Foyle's War ran 4, 4, 4, 2, 2, 3. Primeval ran 6, 7 and 10. And if I remember correctly the next two seasons are going to be 6 and then 7. When they finally get broadcast starting Autumn 2011. Five Days ran 5 episodes, but State of Play (the series that became the movie starring Russell Crowe and Rachel McAdams) was 6. And Spooks, which was called MI-5 when it was shown in North America was all over the map. It ran seven seasons. The first season was 6 episodes. The next 5 each went 10. And then the final season was 8. I'm in the middle of a pretty decent show called Bonekickers. It was only 6, and it was also cancelled after 1 season. The number of episodes is smaller because there isn't NEARLY as much money available to UK producers to make tv shows. Unlike in North America, where virtually all the money for most shows comes from advertising dollars, much of the money for British TV shows is revenue collected from licensing fees. If you live in England, you have to pay 160 pounds for each tv set in your home. That money funds the BBC Stations and also contributes to a British production fund. So many channels are able to broadcast either with no commercials, or limited commercials. Also, like in Canada, UK producers depend on hefty tax incentives. However, fewer channels (at least terrestrial - there are new satellite channels being added all the time) means fewer advertising dollars, and so smaller budgets. So instead of getting from 13 to 26 episodes per US season, the British get 4 to 10. However, what they do NOT have is re-runs. Hard to say which is better. Obviously if you like a show you want as many episodes as possible. On the other hand, it's possible that since producers in the UK don't have to film as many episodes, they can make fewer, better quality shows with better writing and production. Hard to say. Point is, there doesn't seem to be a standard. A show can have from as few as two to as many as 13 episodes in a season, and can even vary from one season to the next.

trtoguz

[13]Mar 15, 2010

They definitely canceled, very sad because this show had a good potential. At last give us a season 2 to explain who send these images

EricJanBogaard

[14]Mar 20, 2010

bigglewigs wrote:
    I watch a lot of Brit shows and five episodes is a strange number to end the season on. Most of their shows run 2 episodes for specials like the recent Day Of The Triffids, 4 episodes for shows with longer run times like Poirot and 6 episdoes for most of the popular series like Misfits, Hustle, The Fixer, Life On Mars, Ashes To Ashes etc. Five is totally odd!

Most of the time they call it mini-series, the storyline of this series is quiet compact..... and nothing indicated on a "season break".....

2spectre

[15]May 5, 2010

Its been canceled...what a shame

Plonked

[16]Oct 3, 2010
    • level: 16

This has ruined my day. I just discovered this show last week. Hubby the kids and I have watched all the episodes and found out today that there will be no more. Argh Im pretty cranky over it. There is nothing else like this on TV so why get rid of it. I was sucked in every episode. And the last episode when they recieved the voice message instead of photo's, we were all busting to get the the next season. What was everyone afraid of with a show like this. I love my brit shows too, they make great TV shows. Gosh if I had the money I would invest in this show to keep it going.