Paranoia Agent Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2005)

Freakiest Monent of Paranoia Agent (SPOILERS)

dragonfly_19

[1]Apr 22, 2006
    • level: 5

The title says it all: which scene in the show got to the most?

For me, it's the ending of Ep. 9 "ETC".  The wife screaming to her dying husband "I NEED TO KNOW HOW HE ATTACKED YOU!" literally scared me, on a level similar to the most intense moments of Fullmetal Alchemist and Evangelion.  The utter loss of feeling in her is also powerfully revealing because it's the first time someone is driven into an emotional corner solely because of Little Slugger''s attack on another person, signalling the start of the chain reaction that will eventually engulf the city.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Asterisk09

[2]May 19, 2006
    • level: 11
    "Etc" was a hilarious episode with a psychotic ending. The chatting ladies' stories cracked me up! The ending was scary. That lady didn't care about her dying husband. She only cared about knowing how Lil Slugger attacked him. Sad.

shsteve

[3]May 26, 2006
    • level: 15

So many freaky moments in this show. When Lil' Slugger turned into that monster in Radar Man was creepy. I didn't expect that to happen at all (like Cowboy Bebop I avoided all spoilers to this show). Or the eerie calm in the office in Mellow Maromi, you knew anyone who was left in there was dead. Maniwa going nuts at the end of Mhz is up there too (even if I didn't like the fact he suddenly flipped out). Oh and that guy in the car with Miss Tsukiko in one of the final episodes. I was expecting something to happen but he just drove off to his death.

The bit that freaks me out the most though is...when Masami goes to rape that girl in A Man Path. Pretty freaky. I don't think the show ever got nicer after that. Not even with  the the comedic off-shoots of episodes 7-10.

Silverspud

[4]Jun 12, 2006
    • level: 5
    In "Happy Family Planning" the guy that jumped in front of the train before the other three attempted suicide freaked me out. Or when they chased after Lil' Slugger as he was giving a savage beating to another man. That whole episode made my skin crawl.

Asterisk09

[5]Jun 12, 2006
    Probably not as freaky but downright disturbing is in that one episode "Fear of a Direct Hit" when Taeko finds out that her father, Masami Hirukawa, spied on her while she changed in her room. She was going to leave him a gift when she moves something in his laptop and out comes a video of her changing in her room. Apparently the guy had cameras hidden in her room and spied on her.

gross!!

DarkCloudOvrhd

[6]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 1
    Freakiest moment?  Gotta be this one. 

Asterisk09

[7]Jun 14, 2006

Exploding_Pen

[8]Jun 15, 2006
    • level: 3
    Really, almost the entire episode of MHz  freaked me out. Espically the part/dream thing where Maniwa is looking for the cornered person and it turns out to be him.
    Edited on 06/15/2006 1:36am

BOE_4eva

[9]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 14

I didnt like it when lil slugger got all big, cause he looked really ugly then i liked him when he was hot.

But i really liked ETC i thought that that was AWESOM!!!!

I have to admit that Paranoia agent was one of if not the freakiest anime i've watched!!! But that why i luved it so much!! ^_^

commuck

[10]Jun 28, 2006
     The guy that jumped in front of the train    was the most awesome scene.   Then he got up and walked away  Awesome  !!    I mean freaky...     Also The end  of the Series when All people turned in to the paper doll painting style... wasnt scary, but kind of freaky to me....

mermaidkitty

[11]Jul 11, 2006
    • level: 2

I'm not sure of the freakiest moment for me. But I know the one that pissed me off the most. It's when Detective Maniwa totally looses it in the final episode. It really sucked. He's such a cool character and it's **** what happened to him. Everyone else seems to have gone on with their life, and he's stuck in someone's fantasy.

commuck

[12]Jul 11, 2006
    Yes i agree, I like the detective also.  he should be strong

mermaidkitty

[13]Jul 12, 2006
    • level: 2
    Yes. I also thought he would be a stronger character and very cute. It was a big disappointment to me.

shsteve

[14]Jul 13, 2006
    • level: 15

I agree that Maniwa flipping out is sudden and doesn't work (read my review of Mhz), but the point of PA is that there are no strong characters since it's all one big comment on Japan's stressful and under-lining anti-sociable society...I believe them, I've been out there and there's too many times on subways and trains where it's just like the opening scenes of the first episode. I loved the place, but it is foreigner unfriendly a lot of the times.

So the point is there's no heroes, despite their efforts at the end SPOILER...it's going to happen again. Maniwa was a great character and I think it's great that the show took away it's most likely hero halfway through as it played with the viewer's perception of what was going to happen next.

kungfujesus77

[15]Jul 19, 2006
    • level: 6
    shsteve wrote:

I agree that Maniwa flipping out is sudden and doesn't work (read my review of Mhz), but the point of PA is that there are no strong characters since it's all one big comment on Japan's stressful and under-lining anti-sociable society...I believe them, I've been out there and there's too many times on subways and trains where it's just like the opening scenes of the first episode. I loved the place, but it is foreigner unfriendly a lot of the times.

So the point is there's no heroes, despite their efforts at the end SPOILER...it's going to happen again. Maniwa was a great character and I think it's great that the show took away it's most likely hero halfway through as it played with the viewer's perception of what was going to happen next.

I think the whole point of PA was that we need to face our lives head on, as they are, no matter what.  I'm still not sure I completely agree with Maniwa being suddenly painted as a cornered man without any answers, but it's always possible that this is how he saw himself.  Sometimes we see ourselves completely differently than the way others see us, they can't see what's really in our heads.

Also, I'm not sure if the ending shows that it's all going to happen again (though I'm still not certain what the meaning of the Equation really IS, anyway...)  I think Ikari ended up being a very strong hero character in the end, which was kind of the point of the show.  He eventually accepted his lot in life, rather than ignore it or pretend that it doesn't exist.  If he hadn't accepted his reality, Tsukiko never would have faced hers, and everything goes boom.  Misae (Ikari's wife) was a strong, heroic woman herself, actually facing Li'l Slugger head-on by facing her fears.

DeathandDoom

[16]Jul 21, 2006

For me, it's a tie between two different occurrences;

1) In the episode "The Golden Shoes" (my favorite episode), where Ichi and Usshi are walking home. While Usshi is saying how he identifies with Ichi, Ichi is fantasizing about Little Slugger attacking Usshi, so that Ichi could catch Little Slugger and regain his lost popularity.

Suddenly, Little Slugger really does show up and strike down Usshi. But that was not the truly disturbing part for me. For you see, as Usshi falls to the ground, Ichi's face just... lights up. He is actually glad that Little Slugger showed up and, for all he knows, killed the kid who was just talking to him. It just made me think, "Good Lord - you little bastard."

2) The end of "Happy Family Planning", where the three travelers, on their way to attempt suicide yet again, stop and butt into a picture some girls are taking of each other. Strangly, none of the girls take offence - in fact, they don't seem to even notice. And as the girls gather together to see how the picture turned out, they begin to scream.

Has anyone seen "The Sixth Sense"? From what I've heard, it had the sort of twist ending that totally takes you by surprise, but makes perfect sense as you stop and think about what came before. That was the sort of response the ending pulled out of me - all the weird, funny stuff that had happend before, suddenly trust into a new light, that made me stop and go, "Waaaaait and damn minute here..."

kungfujesus77

[17]Jul 27, 2006

That part of "The Golden Shoes" was a great example of the purpose of Li'l Slugger/what he represented.  He was created as an excuse for Maromi's death, to get Tsukiko out of (perceived) trouble, and his physical manifestation is drawn to people in similar mental states.

I completely missed the significance of the ending of "Happy Family Planning" the first time around (I tended to multitask my [as] watching with other things at the time (computer, phone, etc)).  Interesting...

DeathandDoom wrote:

1) In the episode "The Golden Shoes" (my favorite episode), where Ichi and Usshi are walking home. While Usshi is saying how he identifies with Ichi, Ichi is fantasizing about Little Slugger attacking Usshi, so that Ichi could catch Little Slugger and regain his lost popularity.

Suddenly, Little Slugger really does show up and strike down Usshi. But that was not the truly disturbing part for me. For you see, as Usshi falls to the ground, Ichi's face just... lights up. He is actually glad that Little Slugger showed up and, for all he knows, killed the kid who was just talking to him. It just made me think, "Good Lord - you little bastard."

2) The end of "Happy Family Planning", where the three travelers, on their way to attempt suicide yet again, stop and butt into a picture some girls are taking of each other. Strangly, none of the girls take offence - in fact, they don't seem to even notice. And as the girls gather together to see how the picture turned out, they begin to scream.

Has anyone seen "The Sixth Sense"? From what I've heard, it had the sort of twist ending that totally takes you by surprise, but makes perfect sense as you stop and think about what came before. That was the sort of response the ending pulled out of me - all the weird, funny stuff that had happend before, suddenly trust into a new light, that made me stop and go, "Waaaaait and damn minute here..."

GamerSlyRatchet

[18]Jul 28, 2006
    • level: 4
    kungfujesus77 wrote:

That part of "The Golden Shoes" was a great example of the purpose of Li'l Slugger/what he represented.  He was created as an excuse for Maromi's death, to get Tsukiko out of (perceived) trouble, and his physical manifestation is drawn to people in similar mental states.

I completely missed the significance of the ending of "Happy Family Planning" the first time around (I tended to multitask my [as] watching with other things at the time (computer, phone, etc)).  Interesting...

DeathandDoom wrote:

Happy Family Planning was a brand of condoms. It represents what the three characters were doing the whole episode. You can't kill yourself if you are already dead, just like you can't have a family if you use condoms. Understand it now?

jax_rerun

[19]Jul 31, 2006
    • level: 12
    The very first time that Marimo stands up and starts talking creeped me out. Lots of creepy stuff happened in the show, but that talking doll squigged me bad.

I'm with Shsteve that the scene when Masami turns towards that tied up family's young duaghter and is all "come to Daddy" was nasty. The sick pediphile theme was disurbing stuff.

kungfujesus77

[20]Aug 9, 2006
    Maromi always creeped me out, and even though I knew that the show would be consistently creepy, the first time Maromi got up freaked me out too. The whole pedophile theme was just a bit unnerving...I thought the guy was a perv, but that was a little more than what I thought.