Paranoia Agent

Radar Man

Aired Sunday 12:00 AM Aug 13, 2005 on Cartoon Network

• After a slow explanation in the previous episode, Paranoia Agent heads full speed for it's OTT showdown.

Now that most of the information that would essentially slow the last two episodes down is out of the way, the series picks up speed like a hurtling freight train as one character heads for a collision course with their repressed memories.

Radar Man is completely off the wall. Though it's never official, Maniwa becomes Radar Man, an avenger against Lil' Slugger,who, in turn, has now transformed beyond his teenage serial attacker persona. There's certainly a feeling that what we thought we knew about Paranoia Agent is about to go out the window. Gone is a story about a serial attacker, as it finally reveals it's true intentions. Again, as I've always stated this show is a comment on the human psyche in Japan's isolated society. That theme still manages to come though despite this installment being an action packed episode (cliche alert!). Despite Maniwa's super-heroic intentions, you feel more for Ikari as you know he's gonna break out of that 2D world somehow and use his real world cynicism against the illusion. Anyways, more about that in the final episode review.

Radar Man (the episode) explains a lot to the viewer while holding back the final, major pieces. Again, illusion and animation brings the fighting to comic book proportions. A lot of this episode has to do with illusions, Maniwa talking and working with the dolls is unclear (real or not?) but it's meant to be as if we're always seeing Maniwa as he percieves the world, hence the crazy fights and fantasy costume. Which is reinforced by his actual appearence by more sane characters (the dad with the woodshed for example)

The episode works well since the background material is readied in the previous installment, leaving it free for a faster, looser pace. Which was a problem for previous multi-layer epiodes. Radar Man is an awesome episode, especially since we know the topography is finally revealed (the golden bat, Maromi, Lil' Slugger).

And then...