Paranormal State Forums

A&E (ended 2011)

These people are an embarresment to paranormal investigaters everywhere

Zikten

[1]Jan 17, 2008
    • level: 1

These people are not scientific in their investigations. In one of the 2 episodes I watched, I saw them splashing holy water around, and banishing a demon "in the name of jesus christ". Give mea break.... In I think the same episode, one guy was talking ominously about some "unnamable demon" who was apparently his arch rival or something. lol yea, sure..... This show is trying to ride the coattails of the success of Ghost Hunters. But unlike Ghost Hunters, this show only appeals to people who know nothing about actual paranormal investigation. If the people on this show ever met Taps, they would get laughed out of town.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sheep233

[2]Jan 17, 2008
    • level: 22
    Zikten wrote:

These people are not scientific in their investigations. In one of the 2 episodes I watched, I saw them splashing holy water around, and banishing a demon "in the name of jesus christ". Give mea break.... In I think the same episode, one guy was talking ominously about some "unnamable demon" who was apparently his arch rival or something. lol yea, sure..... This show is trying to ride the coattails of the success of Ghost Hunters. But unlike Ghost Hunters, this show only appeals to people who know nothing about actual paranormal investigation. If the people on this show ever met Taps, they would get laughed out of town.

You're crazy!!!!!!! Why WOULDN'T you splash holy water around and say 'in the name of Jesus Christ" that's the only way to make a demon or something go away. And I'm a Catholic so I firmly believe in that being very powerful.

Cici21

[3]Jan 22, 2008
    • level: 9

I agree with you sheep233!!! what are they going to do otherwise?just leave the family?

sheep233

[4]Jan 22, 2008
    Cici21 wrote:

I agree with you sheep233!!! what are they going to do otherwise?just leave the family?

Thank you!

priesto

[5]Jan 22, 2008
    • level: 5
    Zikten wrote:
    "unnamable demon"

just for your information the demon's name is Belial. you can read it in the anagram that is constantly popping up during the episode. and when the older man writes it down, you can sneak a pick..

i'm amazed that noone knew the demon's name (when Ryan asked around).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belial

alcalde

[6]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 12
    Cici21 wrote:

Um... use science? Facts? Reality? Not that they ever uncovered any evidence in any episode that anything "paranormal" was going on anyway.

I don't see this show as a ripoff of Ghosthunters. Rather, it's a rip-off of a show called Dead Tenants that aired a few episodes on The Learning Channel. It was also a show for "believers" involving a team that went after ghosts, laden with psychics and such. The intro to Paranormal State is eerily similar to the intro to the first episode of Dead Tenants, and even the team's name: on Dead Tenants, it was Preternatural Research Society, or... PRS. Unlike Paranormal State, things actually _happened_. You can see a little clip here...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIEfyjYi1xI

Heck, even Ryan's tape-sounding voiceover is a ripoff of the opening to DT, which is a recorded voicemail greeting. I understand that the P.S. folks knocked DT when it aired, but here they have produced something with none of the drama and five times the silliness.

renben38

[7]Jan 31, 2008
    • level: 1

I agree with zikten. Did no one notice who the lady was in the schoolhouse episode? Funny thing to me she had PRS come to her home to investigate paranormal activity when she herself is an investigator for Ghost Hunters. Why would she not have her own team come in and why was her experience in the field not mentioned? For me this ended the credibility of the show.

rpgspree

[8]Feb 2, 2008
    • level: 13
    renben38 wrote:

I agree with zikten. Did no one notice who the lady was in the schoolhouse episode? Funny thing to me she had PRS come to her home to investigate paranormal activity when she herself is an investigator for Ghost Hunters. Why would she not have her own team come in and why was her experience in the field not mentioned? For me this ended the credibility of the show.

I think that case was originally investigated before she joined TAPS and GHI and could be the reason why she joined. She couldn't have joined PRS, because their members are primarily students.

Edited on 02/02/2008 5:59am

sheep233

[9]Feb 2, 2008
    alcalde wrote:
    Cici21 wrote:

Um... use science? Facts? Reality? Not that they ever uncovered any evidence in any episode that anything "paranormal" was going on anyway. I don't see this show as a ripoff of Ghosthunters. Rather, it's a rip-off of a show called Dead Tenants that aired a few episodes on The Learning Channel. It was also a show for "believers" involving a team that went after ghosts, laden with psychics and such. The intro to Paranormal State is eerily similar to the intro to the first episode of Dead Tenants, and even the team's name: on Dead Tenants, it was Preternatural Research Society, or... PRS. Unlike Paranormal State, things actually _happened_. You can see a little clip here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIEfyjYi1xI Heck, even Ryan's tape-sounding voiceover is a ripoff of the opening to DT, which is a recorded voicemail greeting. I understand that the P.S. folks knocked DT when it aired, but here they have produced something with none of the drama and five times the silliness.

Yes, you use science and facts to figure out what's going on, then if it's a real ghost then they try to banish it.

mistyblue001

[10]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 2
    i also noticed that the demonologist is none other than one of the brothers off of Ghost Hunters.

MuseRiot

[11]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 19
    Ok, I don't like them as much as Taps. BUT Paranormal State is NOT an embarresment! So what if they say "In the name of Jesus Christ". That's a good thing! Oh, wait you are one of those people whos wants everone to be devil worshipers, aren't you!?!

Camadiel

[12]Aug 9, 2008
    • level: 6
    MuseRiot wrote:
    Ok, I don't like them as much as Taps. BUT Paranormal State is NOT an embarresment! So what if they say "In the name of Jesus Christ". That's a good thing! Oh, wait you are one of those people whos wants everone to be devil worshipers, aren't you!?!

Ya know, it's one thing if their "mission statement" is to put families at ease, which they did seem to do, but if that was actually supposed to be taken seriously as anyone but the family, then I feel bad for the guys on the show and anyone who bought into it. The episodes are silly, the drama is too staged. The lights go out as they have a conversation, the kid happens to walk right up to a ghost and then find him in a picture, the whole Vietnam thing, give me a break. I don't think the families are actors, but I think the "experts and psychics" not knowing anything is pure crap. I'm not religious nor am I a devil worshiper, which is probably the stupidest post I've read in months MuseRiot, but that said I do believe spirits and ghosts could be real. Shows like this only make a mockery out of it all.

ContinuumVortex

[13]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 15
    sheep233 wrote:
    alcalde wrote:
    Cici21 wrote:

Um... use science? Facts? Reality? Not that they ever uncovered any evidence in any episode that anything "paranormal" was going on anyway. I don't see this show as a ripoff of Ghosthunters. Rather, it's a rip-off of a show called Dead Tenants that aired a few episodes on The Learning Channel. It was also a show for "believers" involving a team that went after ghosts, laden with psychics and such. The intro to Paranormal State is eerily similar to the intro to the first episode of Dead Tenants, and even the team's name: on Dead Tenants, it was Preternatural Research Society, or... PRS. Unlike Paranormal State, things actually _happened_. You can see a little clip here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIEfyjYi1xI Heck, even Ryan's tape-sounding voiceover is a ripoff of the opening to DT, which is a recorded voicemail greeting. I understand that the P.S. folks knocked DT when it aired, but here they have produced something with none of the drama and five times the silliness.

Yes, you use science and facts to figure out what's going on, then if it's a real ghost then they try to banish it.

You crazy god faring lot you i would like any self respecting psychic guage what was going on and if it needed excersising i'd do it with the help of my personal spirit guide.

I dont believe in god because my spirit guide and conversing with spirits have told me there is a spirit world where we live on, i just love seeing how so extremely god faring some, well quite a lot of americans are like in this show the first episode the mother says you wont sway my son towards evil. these things arent interested in swaying him some are just molevalent. if you a bad person in life your a bad person in death he/she has no iinterest in swaying you anyway.

I'm not bashing faith if people need to believe in something fair enough but it just makes me luagh when people use it all the time, since faith has always been the major cause of wars etc, such as killing in the name of... etc diety.

There is such a thing as plain crazy, i'll keep watching this show because these religious fanatics amuse me, but when i investigate my own paranormal encounters i'll use my spirit guide and my channeling abilities, and my less sensitive friends can use their good old technology.

Ijin-Kimu

[14]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 4
    Zikten wrote:

These people are not scientific in their investigations. In one of the 2 episodes I watched, I saw them splashing holy water around, and banishing a demon "in the name of Jesus Christ". Give mea break.... In I think the same episode, one guy was talking ominously about some "unnameable demon" who was apparently his arch rival or something. lol yea, sure..... This show is trying to ride the coattails of the success of Ghost Hunters. But unlike Ghost Hunters, this show only appeals to people who know nothing about actual paranormal investigation. If the people on this show ever met Taps, they would get laughed out of town.

Personally I like both...though I REMEMBER to watch GH XD -cough- but yes. o_o In a way...I do believe that demons are out there...but PRS only responds to those kinds of cases while TAPS responds to...other cases...o-o Has TAPS even investigate any cases that had demonic activity?

tylersmom65

[15]Dec 1, 2008
    • level: 9
    IMO - not an embarrassment. I would like to add that if they are staging everything could they please get some better actors?

AngelDNTN

[16]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 4

This show, IMO, is horrible. It is staged, scripted, and all that kind of stuff!!! I agree, though, they should at least get better actors, then perhaps it might at least be some decent (alghough faked) entertainment.

I used to hold Lorraine Warren in a high standing in my book, but since she appeared on this show, she has fallen down there with Ms. Cleo (dating myself here, if anyone remembers Ms. Cleo the psychic) LOL!