Parenthood

Because You Are My Sister

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Jan 22, 2013 on NBC

• Ending squarely high on the mountaintop (no cliffhanger here)

There may not be a cliffhanger, but we're still eagerly awaiting Jasmine's pregnancy to pan out. We're waiting for the inevitably less than celebratory reaction of Amber & I don't engagement? Maybe even their elope (I wouldn't be surprised). Frankly, I'm not TOO crazy about their romance. Yes, Ryan has made some incredible, romantic gestures designed to make us root for them, and throwing a new man into the mix at this point WOULD be frustrating, BUT. I think they're too serious. Not enough fun as a couple.

And the fight for Sarah. How romantic. How dreamy. How many girls/women would love to have two men fighting over her so? Realistic? Not so much. I was disappointed with Hank at how long it took him to INVITE HER to move with him. He's so awkward and has no confidence in himself, a huge turn off, yet is cool and edgy somehow. Honestly, I DO like him better than goody-two-shoes Mark. But if I had been Sarah, I would have legit yelled at Hank. One minute, he's telling her, decide between me and Mark, the next it's, well, I've already decided I'm gonna move, didn't discuss it with then some lingering silence, and Sarah just stutters, oh, ok. Ugh. This is a drama, there's obviously not a problem with yelling out your initial feelings.

Drew and his (ex) telling each other that they'll never forget each other was the epitome of sadness and truth. And reality. For me, that moment alone makes the show something to watch.

Glad for Kristina and Adam. I thought she overreacted initially about his surprise for Hawaii (if the doctor cleared it, she shouldn't have let herself get so worried), and he's been great for her this whole time. Now they're in Hawaii. Good riddance.

And I would have been furious at Julia if she didn't adopt that boy. Good thing she did is all I can say.

• Another fantastic end to a season

I have to give this episode a raving review. It really accentuated the reason this show needs to stay on the air. Believe it or not, this show has picked up steam this year I think. The viewership has not slowed on average (see Wikipedia page) but still sits at a small 5.0M viewers/week. Online, this show is getting great reviews (check out their Facebook page and twitter stream). I believe newer data will also incorporate other media-viewing . online). Hopefully this will factor in to this show's successful season. They've got more interviews going too - Ellen, for example, had a lot of the actors on the show all year. For most of the season in Canada, I was able to get the show one day before it aired in the and sometimes I got to watch the episodes twice! This show has worked it's way into millions of people's hearts and it would be a shame on NBC to cancel it.

So this episode was fantastic... I really liked how it tied up a lot of stories, except ONE major one. I of course got emotional on several occasions. Mark and Sarah's convos had me. But those were soon trumped. The one that really got me (and I'm sure everyone) was the look on Sarah's face when Hank told her he was moving to Minnesota. She broke me in one instant with that sad, sad look on her face. It was perfect for the scene... I felt so bad for Sarah. She's tried so hard this season to end the fact that she's alone. Hank's unexpected plan threw all of us off kilter. No one expected that. And I really wanted Sarah and Hank to work (personally, I just feel Mark is too young for her). It would be really great to have Ray join the show full time and I suppose there is still a chance to have that. This is the story that leaves us hanging - we will want to know what happens next and if Sarah will ever find someone.

Another scene that got me was the judge signing the adoption papers. The whole family is there showing their support for Victor. Can you guys, like... adopt me too? I'm a little older and quieter, but man I'd love to one day have a family as vibrant as this. The judge couldn't believe it himself, saying what a wonderful family Zeek has. The other storylines took a back-seat to these scenes but were equally appealing: Kristina's cancer abates, Jasmine and the tension with her mother and Crosby subsides, and Amy and Drew end mutually, and Amber and Ryan make up.

The ending was great too. Those little clips put a lot in viewers minds and picks up on issues from the beginning of the season. Victor settles in with his new family; Ryan and Amber check out some jewelry; Kristina gives Gwen the chemo blanket given to her by Camille; Mark leaves the school alone; Jasmine sees the baby on a ultrasound machine; the family celebrates Drew's acceptance; Hank moves into his new house in Minnesota; Adam and Kristina enjoy their vacation in Hawaii.

So do I hope this show is back next year, yes. Do I think it will be back. I think so. I'm about 80% sure it will because even with the limited amount of episodes (15 rather than a full order of 22), every single person on this team made the most of those episodes. The writers, directors, actors; they all performed this season and they really delivered.
  • PLEASE BRING PARENTHOOD BACK

I am shocked that the possiblility even exists that Parenthood might not return for a 5th season! Everyone that I know that watches this show LOVES it! There is something for everyone in their family, we can all relate to them. I am sad to think they may not be back, but I'm holding out hope that they will.

PLEASE BRING PARENTHOOD BACK!

• #415 'Because You Are My Sister'

Okay, let's do this. The first part of the episode was very slow. We learned a couple of things. Kristina has to undergo an MRI to see if there's everything in order and if the cancer isn't spreading. There's a bit of a tension as she refuses to go on a Hawaii vacation as of yet. But she received an amazing message at the end of the episode - her body is cancer free ;) I hope that her cancer storyline really ends here, it was a great ride but enough is enough, lady had a bad year. Just give her and Adam a break already.

Drew got accepted to Berkley and Hank leaves town to spend some quality time with his teenage daughter but we have still no idea if Sarah got together again with Mark Cyr. Amber probably gets engaged (as she and her boyfriend are looking for a ring), Adam and Kristina take that long needed vacation, Victor finally becomes a Braverman and Jazmine is pregnant. This was a nice (although rather slow) episode but I'm garteful they didn't push it too hard. This might possibly serve as a series finale if the show doesn't get a pick up for a 5th season - whcih I think WILL happen since NBC doens't have many long running shows and this was Parenthood's 68th episode which gets them close to syndication. I hope we'll meet again, Bravermans. [9.0/10]