Parenthood

Hard Times Come Again No More

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Apr 19, 2011 on NBC

• An amazing episode. A satisfying season finale.

This show has been an absolute JOY to watch all season. It's a consistently well-made hour-long drama, with note-worthy talented actors that simply exude what their characters are experiencing. I'll say it again: it's an emotional roller coaster every week, with laughs had, tears shed, and empathy given. All the recurring storylines were dealt with in this episode. Let's first talk about Joel and Julia, who look forward to adoption and I knew she would bring it up, she's just the type of person to not give up. Next: Crosby and Jasmine. Crosby steps up the pressure by saying he's not going to pursue Jasmine anymore. For a moment, I really thought it was over between the two of them. Somewhere along the line, Joel must try one more time to reason with her, and Jasmine takes a look at all the work and sacrifice Crosby has done. He did sacrifice enough. Although it's not clear if they are back together by the end of the episode, it's a good sign that Jasmine even showed up and a good guess that they will be. Adam and Kristina have several issues during this episode: First, Max's behavior gets to Adam again and although Adam comes off as inpatient, I don't blame him. It must really be difficult to connect with these children in real life on a daily basis. Kristina discusses Haddie's relationship more which also sets Adam off. And then there's Adam's boss, who really is ridiculous. I'm the same way, I would totally flip out at his erratic behavior. At the end, Adam knows he's not happy there, he doesn't fight it. He knows this company has no meaning to him anymore. It's better that he leaves, he has so much potential in the managerial world. Lastly, they have unexpected but gleeful news, despite an almost breaking point for Adam. Kristina says that she is pregnant. Of course, he is happy. Amber and Sarah were just heartbreaking and then heartwarming. Two scenes that got to me: Zeek and Amber and then at the end with Sarah and Amber. Man these guys know how to get you! Sarah's reading finally came through in this episode. The audience loved it. Sure, why not, even though it's clearly based on her life and all the siblings were trying to figure out who was playing who. Overall, this episode was great. This season was great. SO much happened this season - do you even remember Stephen Baldwin's character? Do you remember Haddie working at the food bank? Do you remember the Thanksgiving seating dilemma? Do you remember Zeek and Cecile fighting? I can't believe it's only been 22 episodes, feels much longer.