Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Jan 02, 2014 on NBC

• Going through withdrawals

I was so happy that Parenthood started up again after taking a few weeks off. I was going through withdrawals. To me, the strained relationship between Julia and Joel doesn't seem all that odd. It all seems to stem from Julia's decision to put her career on hold to be a stay at home mom and leaving Joel to be the only breadwinner. This scenario can cause cracks in the strongest of marriages, especially for those who have a lot invested into a specific career.

I do agree that Sarah is a hot mess, but I suppose if she wasn't, her character would be boring. It would be out of character for her to not have another man in reserve. So far I'm not real impressed with her newest fling.

I was glad to see Zeek change his email to Camille. I think his new friend Rocky (from the diner) put it in prospective for Zeek when he explained that if his dead wife came back from the dead and wanted to go to Italy he'd beat her ass to the airport. Meaning: you don't know what you got till it's gone.
  • Is it just me....

Is it just me or does the whole Julia/Joel marital discord seem forced and constructed? I understand that this is a television show and sometimes we are required to suspend disbelief, but there's nothing about their problems that seen legitimate to me. It feels "we need to upset this happy family apple cart" to me. Aside from Adam and Kristina, Julia and Joel had the most stable relationship on the show. Obviously stable don't equate to ratings, so Kristina dealt with cancer (a superb acting performance by Monica Potter), and now Julia and Joel are dealing with contrived marital problems. I have no problem with the idea of energizing the story line, just make it believable. Julia and Joel have been solid since the beginning of the series, but we're supposed to believe that suddenly they can't communicate and there's no trust???? Talk about pulling a rabbit out of a hat!

My other issue is with Sarah. She's a mess! I appreciate that as a mother she wants what's best for her children, and is quick to offer advice to Amber. But, doesn't she need to practice what she preaches? She changes men like most folks change socks. She seems to be looking for love in all the wrong places.

My last thought: Zeek, you had it right when you typed the email asking your wife to come home. You dropped the ball when you deleted that email and typed another one telling her to stay the extra week. What she heard was, "I'm doing fine without you".

But, in any event, I'll be tuning in next week :).