Parks and Recreation

Born and Raised

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 06, 2011 on NBC

7.2
  • Leslie writes a book but Joan Callamezzo calls her out on a false fact in it.

This episode began as what I believed would be a simpler type of episode, not necessarily a bad one, but one that would be less complicated. However, I was wrong. This was another fantastic episode of Season 4 and a chance for us to see a lot of Pawnee's greatest hits come back.

It all starts when Leslie writes a book. Her campaign managers decide that publishing the book would be a great way for her to gain popularity with the voters. The problem is, on Joan Callamezzo's show (seriously, every time she's on Parks, she gets funnier and funnier), Joan says someone called in an anonymous tip and claimed Leslie wasn't born in Pawnee; after some hilarious digging with the help of Chris and Andy, Leslie learns that she was born in Eagleton, which we learned last season is filled with "rich snobby jerks."

I must say, I wasn't expecting the episode to go in the direction it did. The Eagleton reveal was a big moment and everything leading up to it was perfect. I loved seeing Tom and Ben take out Joan for lunch to try and get Joan to give Leslie's book a sticker that would deem it "Joan's Book of the Month." Sort of like an Oprah's book club thing. Tom flirting with ANYone is hilarious, and Ben was half nerd and half shocked during the lunch date.

But I don't know, I might have to give the player of the week to Andy Dwyer, who gave us the return of Bert Machlin and did some very exciting FBI work while in character. Good stuff all around from the cast. I wasn't as excited with Ann's plot, but seeing Ron and April act as deadpan as possible was great to see.

WGNA