A Parks and Recreation Community
NBC (ended 2015)

Parks and Recreation S0621/S06E22: "Moving Up"

Most of Parks and Recreation's sixth season focused on the major changes in Leslie's life, like being recalled from the office she'd worked so hard to reach, receiving a great offer for a new job in Chicago, and discovering that she was pregnant with triplets. And in that regard, "Moving Up" felt more like a series finale than a season finale as it wrapped up several ongoing storylines, including Leslie's career decision, the Unity Concert, and Tom's new restaurant venture. It also featured cameos from almost everyone who's ever appeared on the series, and it was full of wonderful surprises—from a Li'l Sebastian hologram to a Mouse Rat reunion to a surprise appearance by Duke Silver to a cameo by Jon Hamm. But perhaps the biggest shocker came when the series jumped three years into the future in the final moments of the episode, and LESLIE HAD BANGS. 

Oh yeah, there was also the bit about how she took the job with the U.S. National Park Service, but convinced her new boss to let her live and work in Pawnee instead of Chicago (it's a good thing Ron spent so much time fixing up the third floor of City Hall instead of, say, doing his actual job). Ben and Leslie's children are now toddlers, Ben has a fancy new job (might it have something to do with the Cones of Dunshire game, which is apparently sweeping the nation?), and Jerry-Larry is now named Terry. There were so many new things thrown our way in that time jump that I barely had time to appreciate Jon Hamm, whose character felt a bit like a poor man's Chris Traeger with his good looks, positive attitude, and use of the word literally. However, I don't know that Hamm's cameo—which I'm glad the show kept a secret after announcing literally every other guest-star—beats out Michelle Obama's cameo. Leslie's reaction to meeting the FLOTUS was actually more entertaining than anything Lady Obama actually said or did, but it was definitely a highlight of "Moving Up."

If Parks and Recreation hadn't already been renewed for Season 7, "Moving Up" would've been a perfect series finale. It had the series' trademark heart and humor, in addition to a fake concert that looked like so much fun that I was actually upset it wasn't a real event I could attend. By the time Mouse Rat reunited and sang "5,000 Candles in the Wind," I was depressed that I'd missed such a fabulous show. That was fake. And on television. Which is why I think we should all relive it right now:

Now that Parks and Rec has jumped forward in time—a difficult thing to pull off, especially for a sitcom—it has a fresh new canvas on which to paint what will almost certainly be its final season. This is probably for the best, because the show definitely started to stall a bit in Season 6. Chris and Ann had a child and moved to Ann Arbor, Tom grew up (a bit) and become a (sometimes) savvy business man, and Ron and Diane had a baby. I've loved spending time with the truly wonderful and wacky people of Pawnee, but their stories are obviously winding down a bit. By skipping ahead three years, Parks and Rec has created the perfect opportunity to regroup and craft a true ending to this journey. I don't know that the real series finale will be able to top "Moving Up" in terms of how it made me feel as a longtime fan, but I'm willing to stick around to see what the writers can come up with. Parks and Rec truly feels like the comedic version of Friday Night Lights in the way it tells stories about a community and makes me tear up with embarrassing bouts of happiness, so I'm really glad I don't have to say goodbye to it just yet.

NOTES

– “From now on, everyone call me Kristen, 'cause I am wigging out."

– "Obviously, we're no Akron. I mean, we're more like Dayton. But with your help, we can become Toledo." (As a native Ohioan, I give this joke an A+.)

– "Moving Up" was brought to you by pizza: "You're so good at reminding me where pizza is." Also: “We lead the country in online pizza ordering." And: "I ordered a small cheeseburger and both the buns were pizzas."

– "Can you bring back Power Rangers? I don't know what you do, but you seem important enough to get that done."

– Joan's signature drink is a tumbler full of gin with aspirin sprinkled around the rim. 

– The Quackson Five!

– I will probably never get tired of Jean-Ralphio. Sorry, I'm not sorry.

What did you think of Parks and Rec's finale?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 2/24/2015

Season 7 : Episode 12

80 Comments
Comments (80)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Just finished the finale (watched the whole series on Netflix in the last month) loved it! They brought back 5000 Candles in the Wind! That song is the musical heart of the series I love it. RIP Lil Sebastian..
Flag
Isn't it possible that the next season will pick up from where we are "now", and that the 3 years laters scene is where we'll end up after the season, and end the whole series? Which means that the next and final season will take us through how we got to that particular point, three years ahead?
Flag
I've had the Lil Sebastian song stuck in my head since this aired lol. Fantastic finale for a show that may have faltered a bit down the stretch but has stayed strong. Great finale and I agree that it could have been the series finale however if next year is the final run I'm confident this show can go out on a high note after this. Solid episode.
Flag
I am a little not ashamed to admit I cried when they sang Li'l Sebastian

Flag
A time jump is a pretty sketchy idea for a show that constantly talks about politics. Can they even make references to current politicians anymore like they always have? What year was it before the jump? Is Obama even president anymore? Shows never really go in depth enough when dealing with time jumps (for ex. One Tree Hill, everyone's suddenly older but it seems to just be the next year in terms of pop cuture etc.)
Flag
Never expected a time jump! But I'm very curious what is ahead for season 7 (final?)
Flag
You forgot a pizza line, the one about people going to the public library just to order pizza online.
Flag
Well it sure was an amazing episode. A lot of great moments packed with hilarious lines. But Up in horsey heaven, here's the thing. They building something up to the season finale like Harvest Festival or this Unity Concert and then it feels like a series finale. It was still cool up until they jumped 3 years ahead. I mean that was unnecessary. Sure they didn't want to deal with the storyline between Leslie's having raising kids and stuff. But i was kinda dissapointed they did that. Anyway still awesome.

Terry? they did it again.

Larry's falling over glasses with his butt.

Leslie: hope you like deep-dish pizza, because there's gonna be a lot more of it in Chicago, where we're all gonna be moving.
- Okay.

spaghetti, linguini, butercini, ravioli, rigattoni, lasagna.
Could you repeat that? Spaghetti, linguini, butercini, ravioli, Ferrari, Lamborghini, rigattoni, lasagna.
Flag
Leslie, don't cry.It's not that great.It doesn't even look like you.
Or, actually, you know what? - It kind of does.
Flag
I happen to LIVE in Dayton, so that joke elicited an "F you, Ben." But it's all good because the episode was pretty awesome. Definitely looking forward to the final season.
Flag
im just afraid that someday (in 20 years) they wont be able to make a better series final than this season...but i hope they will!
Flag
Fantastic season finale!!! lots of awesome guest stars and I need to get me cones of dunshire!!!
Flag
ben finally got to see his female hero in person, the lead singer of letters to cleo, who's band shirt he's always wearing. she should get a mention on here

Flag
If the time jumps only purpose was to avoid having to see Leslie waddling around pregnant with triplets and worrying about being able to be a working mother for an entire season, that alone would have made it a brilliant idea.
being able to jump to a new season with a what will feel like a fresh start is just a great bonus. I wasn't expecting it, but now that I've seen it I want to see where it goes from here.
Flag
In six seasons Donna Meagle has never had a story line, a romance or a promotion. Giving her a line or two about some fantastic life far away was pitiful lazy writing. Rhetta deserves better.
Flag
AMEN! And I always feel they're implying her life being "the shit" or whatever is supposed to be ironically funny. Retta needs her own show.
Flag
Am I the only one who finds Jean Ralphio extremely annoying? Other than that, this was one of the best season finales I've seen in a long time.
Flag
You're definitely not.
Flag
If Mad Men doesn't end with Don getting a job in Pawnee I'm going to feel cheated
Flag
That LITERALLY made me hop online to make sure I didn't mistake season finale for series finale. between this and the episode where Ann and Chris left they've served up two amazing episodes that could have been phenomenal series finales.

Here's hoping they deliver as good or better at the actual end, after some of the finales I've suffered through lately. (Looking at YOU "How I Met Your Aunt Robin)
Flag
Funny how this season finale would have been a more fitting series finale than HIMYM's series finale was.

I wish we'd see Leslie very pregnant and about to give birth. Imagine how her positivity, work ethic, and stubbornness would mix with pregnancy hormones, & cravings. She'd have binders for at least each trimester, a binder for when she goes into labor, and a binder for her post-childbirth recovery time. It'd be pure hell for Ben. Her baby shower would be co-organized by April, Donna, & Tom. Andy would write at least one song for the occasion. Oh, and I really want to see what crib Ron builds for three babies.
Flag
Sounds like a good flashback episode to me.
Flag
Amazing episode! I didn't know how to feel about the time jump at first (we won't get to see Leslie giving birth?), but now I can't stop thinking what all that fuss was about. Is Leslie running for president? And what's Ben's "big night"? Also, Jon Hamm! Brilliant episode, brilliant finale.
Flag
I too got emotional because of happiness, I don't know when I started caring about these people so much. I'm a little bummed that we didn't get to see Leslie go through pregnancy,

Amazing episode, everything about it!

Also Jean-Ralphio, I love him!
Flag
Incredible episode. I really loved it, it was sweet and a lot of fun. It did feel like a serie finale, but I'm glad Pawnee will be back in autumn.
Flag
Reportedly for the possible last season! That sucks big time. Hope they get a lot more seasons.This and Community always on the line is so not fair. But it's the fate of great shows on TV.
Flag
For me, they got the right amount of screen time. Another season is good to start new things and close all storylines. To give the characters an happy ending. It's better to stop now than to drag the show on until it becomes sour.
Flag
The fact that it got this far is unexpected and great. I get your point but i never want a show i love to end. Especially if they were found quite rare.
Flag
Was Andy being stupid or did the writers never turn on a kids' cable channel in the last ten years? Power Rangers has never been cancelled.

Flag
I wonder if season 7 will actually play out that three year jump. This episode(s) was incredible, I loved every minute of it. I can't even put it into words, and I'm so sad I don't have any friends who follow the show to talk with!
Flag
That was perfect. Duke Silver, time jumps, Tom becomes successful and Mouserat reforming for the unity concert should have made for an excellent send off. Can't wait for Season 7 but at the moment I will let this fantastic finale settle in.
Flag
Loved it
Flag
I loved everything about this episode. I'm really happy there is a season 7, but this would have been a perfect series finale as well. The Unity Concert was amazing, I would have loved to have gone.
Flag
This was such a wonderful episode, especially the Unity Concert. The episode felt so much like a series finale that I had to double check the show was renewed. The only problem now is it will be very hard for the actual season finale to be as good. Leslie staying was a leetle bit of a fake out but not too much and at least now she can stop going around in circles for the good of the show. But seriously that Unit Concert looked amazing, they should have one in every season finale of every show.
Flag
Land Ho did not sound at all like Wilco.
Flag
Seriously, I think this episode was a more beautiful and fitting than many series finales (if it had been one). I loved every minute of it. A good balance of showing same old Pawnee and the people we love in it and seeing how far they've grown.
Flag
Mike Shur said in an interview yesterday that while the majority of the season will take place in 2017 there will be several episodes devoted to 2014 and how Leslie got to that point. The scene we saw at the end of the episode is going to be in an early episode so its not the endgame to see how they got to that point. He said that time time jump is sticking around and its going to be the main time of the season with little periodic full episode jumps back in time.
Flag
Parks and Rec is in my opinion the best comedy on television. I mean it's funny, it has heart, it has a story, and most comedies today can't pull all those off. It is my all time favorite comedy next to The Office and this season finale was truly phenomenal in every aspect.
Flag
I couldn't believe the time jump. Skipping to September or October would make sense because the triplets would be born & Leslie's new job would be in full swing, but 3 years? Holy crap.

Diane's daughters called Ron "daddy" when I think a few episodes they still called him Ron. Has there been any indication as to why their biological father isn't in he picture?

I think they should make some webisodes covering the gap between now & when the next season is set to help fill in the pieces. No single webisode has to include more than 3 characters and they can cover a lot of ground about Leslie's pregnancy, whatever Ben's doing, Tom's Bistro or other business ventures, April & Andy, how Larry became Terry, and what else has changed for Ron.
Flag
I wish this was the series finale, it was just perfect and how the heck can they top it? not saying i won't watch s7 though obv that would be silly
Flag
Loved it!! There were so many funny, poignant moments in this finale that I LITERALLY can't pick a favorite. LOL!!! The time jump at the end was done very well, whether it sticks or not for next season. It was very interesting to see how it could play out for Ben and Leslie.
Flag
Easily my favorite episode of the show to date. While time-jumps can be so difficult to pull off, I think they're doing it just right. Introducing the fact that three years have passed at the end of the season means we all go into the next season knowing that things will be different, unlike the shows that spring a time-jump on the audience at the start of an episode. Nice little mild cliffhanger with wondering what Ben's big night is all about and what he and Leslie are going to his office to hear from "everyone" about. That Unity Concert was truly epic, and I loved seeing Tom finally not giving up on something. So many wonderful things about this episode, and such a great setup for the end. I can't wait for next season!
Flag
Also, you forgot to mention one of April's best lines this episode, when she points out the sign says "Tom's Bi" and decides that it's perfect. And I found THIS t-shirt for sale already!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Awesome episode!!
Flag
It would have made a great series finale but it would have been missing one thing, or two things, Anne and Chris. They don't have to come back full time but to not even mention them would be an insult to their characters, especially seeing as how it was Leslie and Anne's meeting that began this wild ride, a cameo would be good enough but they need to return for the end, like Michael in The Office, their characters got a good send off but we need them to be present for the series' send off. I look forward to next season, I hope if it is their last season that they resign themselves to that fact and do everything in their power to make it memorable and a fitting end to what has become one of my favorite shows of all time.
Flag
The finale was great. .Heads up! i will be asking people who seem important to bring back any tv show i miss!. Poor Terry!
Cones of Dunshire..thats all!!.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members