Parks and Recreation Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on NBCIn Season

Cast changes for Parks and Recreation -- pretty darned big ones, too.

Will the addition of Rob Lowe help or hurt Parks & Rec?

Hoeech

[1]Mar 21, 2010
    • level: 66

The end of season 2 of Parks and Rec will see the departure of Mark Brendanawicz (played by Paul Schneider). Replacing him will be Brothers & Sisters star Rob Lowe. With the show picking up some major steam throughout its second season, how do you think this cast change will affect the show's appeal and viewership?

Edited on 03/21/2010 1:53pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Alex-R

[2]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 3
    While Mark is one of the only "normal" people in the show, I'm guessing that Rob Lowe will be a similar character type. In any case, I think this will be a step up for the show (no disrespect to Paul Scheider)

CartoonFreak13

[3]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 9

Not sure how I feel about this yet, I'll have to find more out about the character he will be playing. I'm sure his character will be similar to Mark though but who knows.

kickdoor

[4]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 14

My favorite part about Mark's character were the little things. His looks to the camera or a line said to himself, I'm not sure I see Rob Lowe pulling off either of those things, then again I haven't seen him act that much, certainly not in something like P+R. They have to have a straight man in the office however(unless they can come up with a believable way to get Anne working there) so he will definitely be needed. I vote it could be interesting, but it will depend heavily on what kind of role they give him.

As far as how it will effect viewership, it can only help. I doubt they will lose many fans because of this and any they do will be more than made up for by them getting a more popular actor(not saying he's better just a bigger name).

Canogaparkcindy

[5]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 49

Oh no wonder: Ann & Mark seem to having subtle relationship hints that they will breakup soon, now I know why. Haha. Rob Lowe, mmmm, just gonna have to wait & see about that. Does that mean we're getting season 3? Hip hip hooray for that.

Hoeech

[6]Mar 28, 2010

CartoonFreak13 wrote:

Not sure how I feel about this yet, I'll have to find more out about the character he will be playing. I'm sure his character will be similar to Mark though but who knows.

I don't think they'll make a Mark clone out of him. That would be disappointing. However, I can see him playing an upwardly-mobile politician using the office as a stepping stone for greater things. He seems like he can pull off the smarmy "used car salesman" personality which the show is lacking. What the current cast is missing, for want of a better word, is one of these.

Hoeech

[7]Mar 28, 2010
    kickdoor wrote:

My favorite part about Mark's character were the little things. His looks to the camera or a line said to himself, I'm not sure I see Rob Lowe pulling off either of those things, then again I haven't seen him act that much, certainly not in something like P+R. They have to have a straight man in the office however(unless they can come up with a believable way to get Anne working there) so he will definitely be needed. I vote it could be interesting, but it will depend heavily on what kind of role they give him.

As far as how it will effect viewership, it can only help. I doubt they will lose many fans because of this and any they do will be more than made up for by them getting a more popular actor(not saying he's better just a bigger name).

If you want to see the kind of character I think he may play, watch him in "Wayne's World". That's exactly the kind of greasy little (bleep) the show needs to play off of Leslie's boundless enthusiasm.

Hoeech

[8]Mar 28, 2010
    CartoonFreak13 wrote:

The third season has already been confirmed early this year. Aside from Mark leaving, the writers also have to figure out how to work Amy Poehler's pregnancy into the show. She'll either be spending a lot of time carrying a laundry basket for no apparent reason or they'll write a new boyfriend into the script for her. Leslie Knope doesn't strike me as the "one-night-stand" type.

kickdoor

[9]Mar 29, 2010

I've heard they have no plans on working the pregnancy into the show, and are trying to film 3rd season episodes early to get in as much time before she starts to really show as possible. This was the reason it got renewed kind of early in the year.

Though they are adding a love interest for Leslie, Adam Scott is joining the show, should be in the last two eps. this season and return in the third(source). I loved him in his little role on Eastbound and Down, but haven't liked him in anything else I've seen.

I also agree they need a just down right jerk. I thought the city manager(Paul?) was going to fill that role but they never really ran with it.

CartoonFreak13

[10]Apr 7, 2010

Yeah, I think a really slimy and jerky character would work well for the show. I'm having a feeling that's what the new character could be like.

RedsnGreens

[11]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 16
    If they make Rob Lowe's character similar to the character he played in "The Invention of Lying," that would be really interesting and would shake things up in Pawnee. I voted "never cared for him much" but am curious to see what role he'll be playing on P&R.

stevetheroofguy

[12]Apr 17, 2010
    • level: 2

I really like Adam Scott in Party Down. He is a very subtle and dry comedian. I think he will blend in perfectly with the show but I will be very upset if he picks P&R and leaves Party Down.

kickdoor

[13]May 13, 2010

stevetheroofguy wrote:

I really like Adam Scott in Party Down. He is a very subtle and dry comedian. I think he will blend in perfectly with the show but I will be very upset if he picks P&R and leaves Party Down.

I just caught up on all of Party Down, pretty good show, I agree I hope he'll stick around on it for at least a third season.

Well I thought Rob Lowe was excellent. He's obviously not going to be playing a jerk, but he's still funny. Scott wasn't that funny but I'll wait and see how he does in the next episode.

TypeB

[14]May 20, 2010
    • level: 6
    ^^^ True, Party Down won't be the same without Adam Scott. But I really miss Jane Lynch in the 2nd season. That was one huge multivitamin tablet Rob Lowe's character was holding. I liked both of them in Parks & Rec. Pretty good episode.

bcrenton

[15]May 23, 2010

kickdoor wrote:
    Though they are adding a love interest for Leslie, Adam Scott is joining the show, should be in the last two eps. this season and return in the third(source). I loved him in his little role on Eastbound and Down, but haven't liked him in anything else I've seen.

Ummm.... Party Down, Adam Scott is frickin awesome in that show. (Voted best show no one is watching!)

Season 2 episode 5 was probably the best episode ever... "Steve Guttenberg's Birthday"

Just a fabulous show and it is exciting that there is a possibility of him guesting/joining the cast of Parks and Rec.

ericsmine

[16]Jun 15, 2010

I loved Mark "Brandanaquits!" But, I can see why he is leaving the show. In the first season, it was suggested that he would develop feelings (though shameful) for Leslie. However, they hooked him up with Ann. I don't know why. I like her but she seems to be kind of a boring character. I can understand why Mark is leaving the show - there's really nothing more for him to do.

ericsmine

[17]Jun 15, 2010
    He doesn't seem normal at all. LOL. He seems like an endorphins junkie. I think the best addition to the show, so far, has been Adam Scott. He's hilarious in a really appropriately dry way and I absolutely adore his banter with Leslie.

Psy4potato

[18]Aug 13, 2010
    • level: 10
    I say see how it goes, it might be a great thing, or it might not work out. I didn't realize Paul was leaving the show, to be honest, I felt like he was a good actor, but there was not a lot of character development there.

Also, why don't they make Retta (Donna) and Jim O'Heir (Jerry) main cast members? I think these two are hilarious, and help round out the ensemble.

Hoeech

[19]Aug 15, 2010
    Psy4potato wrote:
    Also, why don't they make Retta (Donna) and Jim O'Heir (Jerry) main cast members? I think these two are hilarious, and help round out the ensemble.

I get the feeling that's exactly what's going to happen in season 3.

red_rhum

[20]Feb 20, 2011

Honestly the addition of Rob Lowe and Adam Scott is awesome. Paul Scheiner character's was always too much of a Jim Halpert clone and they gave him a proper way to go: finally getting an interesting job in the private sector.

Just like Amy Poehler was a feminine version of Michael Scott, she is now a completely different character.

This show is definitely on the right track !!