Parks and Recreation Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on NBCIn Season

Discussion thread for "Canvassing" (04/16/2009)

Hoeech

[1]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 66
    Post any comments you may have on this week's episode here. Please avoid posting spoilers until the episode has had a chance to air on the west coast.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

citybug

[2]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 9
    I have a question and no sites seem to have info on the episode yet.

Who played Lesley's mother? I missed the credit roll.

Hoeech

[3]Apr 16, 2009
    citybug wrote:

That was Pamela Reed. She also played Ahhhnold's partner in "Kindergarten Cop".

jrob28

[4]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 5
    That was bugging me too, I knew I've seen her somewhere.

checko101

[5]Apr 17, 2009
    • level: 11
    Im really liking this show, episode by episode. It has alot of potential work, from the drunk in the slide to the easter egg hunt c'mon indiana just let Leslie build her park =)or should I say "let her have her cake and eat it"

Water78

[6]Apr 17, 2009
    • level: 47
    Way better episode than last week. The meeting was great.

piranhapete

[7]Apr 17, 2009
    • level: 11
    I actually thought the episode was much less humorous than the first, but the meeting saved it. I'll keep watching, but I'm hoping for better...

HelloStuart

[8]Apr 18, 2009
    • level: 63
    Hoeech wrote:
    citybug wrote:

That was Pamela Reed. She also played Ahhhnold's partner in "Kindergarten Cop".

Reed also played a political insider in the Robert Altman miniseries "Tanner '88," and she's essentially playing the same part here.

As for "Canvassing"- there's an unwritten rule in TV that in order for your show to survive its first season, you need a good pilot episode and an even stronger second episode. P&R has only met half that requirement; the pilot showed promise but this episode was a small step backwards. It's not hopeless, but it's hard to find any sympathetic or relatable characters. This episode was funny in spots but not that memorable as a whole.

Hoeech

[10]Apr 18, 2009
    HelloStuart wrote:
    As for "Canvassing"- there's an unwritten rule in TV that in order for your show to survive its first season, you need a good pilot episode and an even stronger second episode. P&R has only met half that requirement; the pilot showed promise but this episode was a small step backwards. It's not hopeless, but it's hard to find any sympathetic or relatable characters. This episode was funny in spots but not that memorable as a whole.

The entire first seasons of "Cheers", "Seinfeld" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation" were completely forgettable, but they all went on to become television legends. Give the show some time to find its own stride.

Water78

[11]Apr 20, 2009
    • level: 47
    Hoeech wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

The entire first seasons of "Cheers", "Seinfeld" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation" were completely forgettable, but they all went on to become television legends. Give the show some time to find its own stride.

stu did say:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    As for "Canvassing"- there's an unwritten rule in TV that in order for your show to survive its first season, you need a good pilot episode and an even stronger second episode.

unwritten rule

patriots2871

[12]Apr 20, 2009
    • level: 2
    I am liking this show. give it some time too get into it I think this show will be good. Amy Poehler is awesome!

Hoeech

[13]Apr 20, 2009
    Water78 wrote:
    Hoeech wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

stu did say:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    As for "Canvassing"- there's an unwritten rule in TV that in order for your show to survive its first season, you need a good pilot episode and an even stronger second episode.

unwritten rule

True enough. But to further refine my point, the first two episodes of both Seinfeld and TNG were God-awful and remarkably boring. The characters were stiff and stereotypical, while the stories were silly and poorly constructed. Yet both shows were given a chance to grow and find their audiences. This show will do just fine if people don't dump all over it in its first month.