Parks and Recreation Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on NBCIn Season

Why all the hate?

addict666

[1]Dec 15, 2009
    • level: 45

I get that the first season wasn't great, I still enjoyed it, but the why do people hate this show so much?

I think its hilarious and the first season eps were as funny as many of the so-so Office episodes that people accuse this show of ripping off.

This show has so many good elements especailly in the supporting characters who all bring so much to the show.

Amy Polher (not the right spelling I know) kills it at Leslie, the only real weak point of the show is Rashida Jones, but she doesn't even really bother me

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sheryl_F

[2]Dec 17, 2009
    • level: 2
    The first season was so-so, but the new season is HYSTERICAL!! It's one of the most intelligent and biting comedies since '30 Rock'. Every critic is in agreement that this show is the breakout hit of the fall season, but it's still struggling to find an audience. I just pray it doesn't go the way of 'Arrested Development'.

an4rew

[3]Dec 20, 2009
    • level: 8

Just started at Season 2, i think the show is cool. Amy is arguably better than Michael from The Office.

Rashida Jones looks like she has no real purpose on the show but Andy s hilarious!

Edited on 12/20/2009 11:00pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Hoeech

[4]Dec 22, 2009
    • level: 66
    I'm becoming a bigger Ron fan every week. He started out as a bureaucratic stuffed shirt, but has developed into one of the best deadpan straight-men I've seen in a long time (and I mean "straight man" in the comedic Dean Martin / Bud Abbott way, not an anti-gay way, so no Hoeech-bashing please.)

CartoonFreak13

[5]Dec 28, 2009
    • level: 9
    Not sure, I've liked the show since the beginning but I like it even more now! It seems to be getting better every week.

justinwestnet

[6]Jan 21, 2010
    • level: 17
    Terrifc show that has improved every single week, and I am a huge fan of Ron Swanson. Trumps Michael Scott.

pha-real

[7]Feb 5, 2010
    • level: 10

last shows have been funnier than office

RedsnGreens

[8]Feb 12, 2010
    • level: 16
    pha-real wrote:

i totally agree! nowadays, i just watch the office just to be up to date w/what's going on. i hardly get any laughs any more, except maybe from andy and erin. but w/Parks, the whole cast is amazing! they really make the show work and are so funny.

btw, i luv ur P&R reel signature !!! Sweetums!!!!

Hoeech

[9]Mar 4, 2010
    pha-real wrote:

Gotta second RedsnGreen's sentiment...LOVE the reel! Jerry rules! I feel the need for a Sweetums now.

bladeds

[10]Mar 11, 2010
    • level: 1
    a friend recommended this show to me, i watched the first and have been following the second season. After watching i looked at the ratings on TV.com. Why so low, this show is absolutely hilarious, Aziz Ansari cracks me up, lucky I watched this show prior to looking at ratings otherwise may have never started. Hopefully the IMDB rating will do the show justice.

RedsnGreens

[11]Mar 12, 2010
    • level: 16
    This is my new favorite comedy. I've got Lost and House in the drama department, and Parks and Recreation and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in the comedy department. Glad to hear it was renewed for a 3rd season

Hoeech

[12]Mar 15, 2010
    bladeds wrote:
    a friend recommended this show to me, i watched the first and have been following the second season. After watching i looked at the ratings on TV.com. Why so low, this show is absolutely hilarious, Aziz Ansari cracks me up, lucky I watched this show prior to looking at ratings otherwise may have never started. Hopefully the IMDB rating will do the show justice.

The votes are low because there are one or two haters with multiple accounts giving the episodes harsh scores. I've seen the episode ratings as low as 3.2 before it had even had a chance to air on the east coast. Tell me that's from a legitimate critic of the show. If you'd like to put the show in its proper light, help it out by giving it a good rating on each and every episode, as well as an overall score. I'd hate to think the show is losing potential viewers because of a few close-minded ****heads.

alsaker85

[13]Mar 21, 2010
    • level: 11

I figured it was because of a few people. Similarly, I thought Dollhouse ended its run with some amazing episodes, but the ratings for those episodes are actually lower than the lackluster first episodes of the show. I'm assuming these people don't actually watch either show.
    But they must have better things to do than artificially deflate scores on a show they don't like, right?

[QUOTE="Hoeech"]

bladeds wrote:
    I'd hate to think the show is losing potential viewers because of a few close-minded ****heads.

Does anyone consult the TV.com ratings before trying a show? I hope not, since the scores are slanted.

Prompter

[14]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 4

I thought TV comedy was dead until I happened upon this show. The Office doesn't make me laugh. 30 Rock doesn't make me laugh. Parks & Recreation does. I get more laughs out of this show than from any I've seen in a very long time.

Edited on 03/25/2010 10:54pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Hoeech

[15]Mar 26, 2010

alsaker98 wrote:

Does anyone consult the TV.com ratings before trying a show? I hope not, since the scores are slanted.

It would depend a lot on the number of votes cast. If there are less than 100 votes on a show/episode, then I don't let it influence my choices at all. If a humungous group of people all said they loved it or hated it, I might be swayed one way or the other. My viewing time is limited, so I hate wasting it on nonsense. I still want my hour back after watching the pilot episode of "V".

Edited on 03/26/2010 10:55am

kickdoor

[16]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 14

RedsnGreens wrote:
    i totally agree! nowadays, i just watch the office just to be up to date w/what's going on. i hardly get any laughs any more, except maybe from andy and erin. but w/Parks, the whole cast is amazing! they really make the show work and are so funny.

Sums up my feelings exactly(down to Andy and Erin getting the only laughs on The Office).

Also does anyone else love the irony of people accusing P+R of ripping off The Office? I mean I loved the US Office, but lets face it, it wasn't an original idea.

Hoeech wrote:
    I still want my hour back after watching the pilot episode of "V".

Ditto that my brother.

deepgx

[17]Aug 19, 2010

The lowest I have awarded an episode of this JEWEL of comedy has been an 8.0 out of 10...I am dumbfounded by the overall scores of the episodes and the show itself..it was very obviously trashed by some haters and trolls out there...it deserves an overall rating of 8.0 to 8.5 at least...I have given it a solid 9.0, same as 30 Rock (my rating for the Office has now dropped to 7.0).

What a genius show, and just fully entertaining..with only a couple of dislikable characters, like Tom's stick-b*tch wife Wendy...

deepgx

[18]Aug 19, 2010
    Prompter wrote:

I thought TV comedy was dead until I happened upon this show. The Office doesn't make me laugh. 30 Rock doesn't make me laugh. Parks & Recreation does. I get more laughs out of this show than from any I've seen in a very long time.

I totally agree with you there re: The Office. This is just a really refreshing comedy that's just unpredictable from week to week. And 30 Rock had definitely slipped a little in the last couple of seasons, but I think the latest one was quite awesome and full of memorable plotlines and segments...

Hoeech

[19]Aug 20, 2010

deepgx wrote:

The lowest I have awarded an episode of this JEWEL of comedy has been an 8.0 out of 10...I am dumbfounded by the overall scores of the episodes and the show itself..it was very obviously trashed by some haters and trolls out there...it deserves an overall rating of 8.0 to 8.5 at least...I have given it a solid 9.0, same as 30 Rock (my rating for the Office has now dropped to 7.0).

What a genius show, and just fully entertaining..with only a couple of dislikable characters, like Tom's stick-b*tch wife Wendy...

There's NO QUESTION that the episode ratings on TV.com are being skewed by haters. As soon as I bring an episode up to prep it for a recap, quotes and trivia (something I could use some help with, by the way folks....) the episode already has a rating of 2 to 4 .... AND IT HADN'T EVEN AIRED YET!! If you want to help this show out and counter the sabotage of a few trolls, make sure that you put your own votes on each and every episode as they come out. Get your friends to do the same. It's really frustrating to see such a great show get dumped on for no earthly reason (and I'm not just sayin' that because I'm the show's editor...and Amy Poehler's) With all of then choices in decent shows nowadays, there are people who use websites like this one to help decide if a show is worth their time. Let's show everyone that this show ROCKS!

I'll put my pom-poms away now.

Edited on 08/20/2010 6:53am

iLoveOlivier

[20]Sep 22, 2010
    • level: 3
    I actually love this show. Gonna go out on a limb, and say it's my favorite current on-air tv show. I used to be slightly more obsessed with The Office, but really...everyone realizes The Office lost it's spark long ago. Don't get me wrong; I still watch the show regularly and delight in Dwight's craziness. But the humor is just a bit more fresh in Parks and Rec. If people "hate" the show, it's because they haven't given it a chance. As someone who publically scorned The OC in it's height of tv-show stardomn, without ever watching a single episode, I understand the view that "you don't have to bite the apple to know it's sweet" and vice versa. But with comedy so closely related to the stylings of SNL and The Office, how could people seriously hate Parks and Rec? My verdict - they just haven't approached the show with an open mind.