Parks and Recreation Forums

Thursday 8:00 PM on NBCIn Season

Why all the hate?

Hoeech

[21]Sep 23, 2010
    • level: 66
    iLoveOlivier wrote:
    I actually love this show. Gonna go out on a limb, and say it's my favorite current on-air tv show. I used to be slightly more obsessed with The Office, but really...everyone realizes The Office lost it's spark long ago. Don't get me wrong; I still watch the show regularly and delight in Dwight's craziness. But the humor is just a bit more fresh in Parks and Rec. If people "hate" the show, it's because they haven't given it a chance. As someone who publically scorned The OC in it's height of tv-show stardomn, without ever watching a single episode, I understand the view that "you don't have to bite the apple to know it's sweet" and vice versa. But with comedy so closely related to the stylings of SNL and The Office, how could people seriously hate Parks and Rec? My verdict - they just haven't approached the show with an open mind.

Amen! Poehler wasn't nominated for an Emmy for nothing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boneslover4

[22]May 14, 2011
    • level: 6

Seriously? What is with the low show scoring on here?? It's frustrating me to no end! The show, especially this last season is doing AMAZING. The Ben/Leslie thing definitely has me hooked but I started watching the show even before Ben's character showed up! Can we do something to bring up the show's rating level???

mrsquinto

[23]May 22, 2011
    • level: 9

here's what I don't understand. This show comes from the same people who gave us [once hilarious] Office, has truly SUPERB cast - i agree that rashida jones sometimes seems unnecessary but her relationship with Leslie and their dynamic is amazing - is doing so bad in here! i could not believe when i saw the rating at 6-something a couple of days ago [it's at 7 now, which is still a mystery to me]

I wonder why people don't want to give this show a chance? Amy Poehler is one of the best things in comedy nowadays, would you agree? And i get a feeling this show is getting better and better with every minute. At this point I have a smile on my face just by looking at Ron F***ing Swanson! ) I just rewatched the seasons 2 and 3 for the 100th time [agreed that s1 is not as good but the 5th episode, "Banquet", is pure comedy brilliance) and i wish there was more!

zauerli

[24]May 27, 2011
    • level: 3

This show is aboslutley great... it's very entertaining and has the best characters I've seen in one show in a long time... The Office pales in comparison.

So - "Why all the hate" is a very good question :-)

kickdoor

[25]May 27, 2011
    • level: 14

mrsquinto wrote:
    I wonder why people don't want to give this show a chance? Amy Poehler is one of the best things in comedy nowadays, would you agree?

You answered you own question. Many people don't find Amy Poehler to be one of the best things in comedy, but one of the worst. I myself was amongst them and was leery of starting P+R because of it. Now I can't get enough of her(but only in P+R). It's a shame because a lot of people that dislike her won't give P+R a chance, which might be the one thing that would make them stop hating her.

zauerli

[26]May 30, 2011
    • level: 3
    Count me in :-) I love her to death now :-)

drudager

[27]Dec 8, 2011
    • level: 13
    kickdoor wrote:

mrsquinto wrote:
    I wonder why people don't want to give this show a chance? Amy Poehler is one of the best things in comedy nowadays, would you agree?

You answered you own question. Many people don't find Amy Poehler to be one of the best things in comedy, but one of the worst. I myself was amongst them and was leery of starting P+R because of it. Now I can't get enough of her(but only in P+R). It's a shame because a lot of people that dislike her won't give P+R a chance, which might be the one thing that would make them stop hating her.

Oh god, I've already had a lifetime worth of Amy Poehler from her SNL days. I didn't even want to give P&P a chance solely because she was on it. Eventually a few years later I broke down out of boredom & reminded myself that she would be restricted to a tight script as opposed to sketches & very unregulated Weekend Update where "loud is allowed". Amy has an extremely large annoying factor that can be a huge turnoff. She can just get overwhelmingly unbearable. She's too comedic given her Improv background for a restrained & graceful lead. Also she's not the most attractive or sexy lady.

djboy77

[28]Nov 7, 2012
    • level: 7

Overall, I'm enjoying P&R - I must be because I'm marathoning it from the pilot through to S03E05 so far.

But every time April looks into the camera with those hollow, dead eyes and talks in that flat, robotic voice, I just want to stab her in the face. I realize that's her schtick (unfortunately, that's her entire schtick), and it was odd and wacky to start with, but now it's just annoying. Aside from the fact she's a horrible person, there's a point where deadpan becomes simply dead.

Edited on 11/07/2012 9:11am

bewareofcrazies

[29]Jan 12, 2013
    • level: 2

I started watching because Adam Scott was in the cast, and I have recently become a HUGE fan of his. I watched the Pilot episode, and then I jumped to episode 2x22, so that I could get straight to where he joined the cast. Apparently, I missed a lot of the dead weight, which is so, so, so very gratifying for a few reasons.

1) Ben is easily my favorite character on the show, but yes, I probably am biased by my love for Adam Scott, nerdy characters, and romances on television.

2) I absolutely abhor comedy series usually. I can usually only take a comedy movie now and then, so a comedy tv show usually just feels so hollow to me. So, the fact that I am watching this one (up to episode 4x07, actually) and so very much enjoying myself is a sign that they're doing something right.

3) I hated Amy Poehler, and I very nearly refused to watch this show despite Adam Scott's involvement. But like someone else mentioned, her character is nothing like most of the annoying stuff she played in SNL. Thank God.

So, that was why I both love and hesitated in watching this show.

cacay21

[30]Feb 27, 2013
    • level: 6

This is a show for the smart people. Trust me, TIME magazine agrees. This is the smartest funniest thing on TV.

indytd

[31]Dec 28, 2013
    • level: 1

If you ever met some of the people in the Parks Dept in Bedford, IN that I know, you wouldn't believe how accurate that show can be to how some of those people behave. The town of Eagleton would be similar to Bloomington but the towns of Bedford and Bloomington aren't that close to each other as are Eagleton and Pawnee.