Parks and Recreation

Jerry's Painting

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Apr 28, 2011 on NBC

7.4
  • Jerry gets Pawnee riled up about a painting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: what makes Parks and Rec. stand out above The Office, Modern Family and 30 Rock (I'd say Community, but I see the two shows as equally great in different ways) is that the city that the show takes place in is as much a character as any other major character on the show. In this episode, where Jerry paints a risque image (Leslie in centaur form, topless, shooting a deer.. something that's funny in and of itself), it's not just the office that gets up in arms about it.. it's the entire town. Is there any show where an entire town gets upset about something so menial? In the meantime, the episode not only gives us its usual level of laughs but also another great look into Pawnee life.

I liked both the subplot here and the main plot. The subplot finds Ben moving in with Andy and April and soon discovers that they are the messiest people alive. Andy and April make any plot they get now an instant classic.. they're hilarious together, and watching them fry marbles, eat food out of frisbees and shoot Ben with a marshmellow gun (yes, those exist) is hilarious. And watching Ben grow in the process is pretty cool too.

We also get a reprise of that horrible woman from the "Pawnee Zoo" episode, the one who made the two penguins get a divorce, and also Perd Hapley, who is a ridiculous talk show host who seems clueless at times and only fuels the city's ability to believe in weird things. It's the small characters like these that make the show stand out so much from other similar shows.

There's numerous other moments in the episode that were great (Ron's speech to the art crowd, Tom claiming that he's cultivated a "Jay-Z" vibe over the years with women, Ben trying to sneakily peek at the naked drawing of Leslie, Chris stepping up and showing his somewhat nasty side). And there wasn't too much random Ann moments, which made for an overall good episode.