Parks and Recreation

Jerry's Painting

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Apr 28, 2011 on NBC

7.3
  • Weird Masterpiece

This was a good episode not a hard hitter. I liked the plot but the subplot I thought was the best which I'll get to latter.

The plot wasn't just funny, from certain small jokes like seeing the look on the charcter's faces when we saw the centaur looked a little too much like Lesile and hearing that stupid talk show host as usual make things worse with the painting issue. I couldn't help but snicker when he said Centaurs are real, makes me wonder how the hell he became qualified to be a talk show host. But actually gets at a certain serious issue about Censorship. In Pawnee we see it is going too far, mainly from that woman (name escapes me) that was campagning to give the gay penguins a divorce. I hate that character, everything is wrong to her. And her arguement about the painting is actually one she shouldn't really win because there are plenty of paintings and sculptures that feature the naked body one artist in particular "Michaelanglo". Let alone the centaur is a character of greek mythology. So yeah I support Leslie's defense for the painting. And lets face it censorship doesn't really work, there is something about keeping something away from people that makes them want it more.

The subplot for me is the best part of the episode. In a way it's practically another version of "The Odd Couple" only there are two Oscar's which of coruse makes the living sittuation even more interesting. I love the fact that April and Andy are slobs and practically kids at heart. The house they live in looks like it could almost be the next episode of "Horders" ok their not that bad but still messy. Love the fact they cook marbles for no reason and eat out of frisbies which actually isn't that bad of an idea. All this gives Ben some grief and of course Ben has to play the Felix role, he has to get the house and both of them in order. I really like seeing the reaction on both their faces when Ben introduces them to the everyday things we take for granted, they act somewhat disorented and that is easy to emphasize with because if something is new it's not like you can master in a mere minute.

My favorate part is when both Andy and April are shopping at "Bed, Bath and Beyond" and they have this list but then April spots those "Seen on TV" items and for a moment you think Andy will do the sensible thing, say no, and stick to the list. But knowing Andy you know he won't he agrees with April and both stock up big time on the items. Comic bronze.