Parks and Recreation

Pawnee Zoo

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Sep 17, 2009 on NBC

7.3
  • Season 2 brings.. mostly more of the same, but there's no denying it's funny.

I don't think that Parks and Recreation will ever completely evade being placed next to The Office.. the format is too similar and some of the characters have the same exact personalities. However, that doesn't mean the show isn't trying to avoid being pigeonholed and that the show isn't funny, because the premiere tonight certainly impressed.

Leslie accidentally marries two male penguins as part of a publicity stunt for a local zoo and ends up causing a huge town wide fiasco. While the gay community views her as a hero (listen to April treat her like Harvey Milk, and Leslie's reaction to their support.. it's hilarious), another local group tries to get her to resign.

The episode was topical and had some great lines from Leslie, Tom and Andy.. and the cold open was hilarious. However, some of the jokes (the two penguins humping each other is the first to jump to mind) just fell flat and made the show feel more juvenile than it is. It's not like Parks and Recreation is the smartest comedy on TV, but it's definitely better then stupid sight gags like that.

I wasn't too excited about this show coming into September, but I kind of remember why I liked the show earlier this year now.. Definitely looking forward to some new episodes (and hoping the number of viewers rise)